Babe (1995) Poster

(1995)

Positively Sublime
roidessinges5 June 2005
An extremely quirky film that you won't mind watching with the kids. Not full of sappy platitudes, this strange little tale of a pig that wants to be a sheep dog is extremely effective in it's message without hitting you in the head with it. No doubt because it wasn't made in Hollywood... we Americans have never been good at telling children's stories without being condescending and heavy-handed with the moral message.

The story takes place in some fairy tale amalgam of all the rural cultures of the English-speaking world - Sometimes it seems like England, other times Kansas, Australia, New Zealand, it's really never anywhere particular. The acting is superb, the animatronics are unrecognizable as such, and James Cromwell is superb as the taciturn farmer willing to give the little pig a chance.
68 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic, a true piece of art
Bobino-214 July 2004
"Babe" is one of my favorite movies.

A lot of people laugh at me when I say that. But I know that this film is one of the best ones ever made. It's simple, beautiful, positive and original.

The story is about a farm pig who wants to become a sheep dog. Pretty strange considering a pig's place is in people's plates. But Babe has something the sheep dogs don't have: gallantry. His kindness, determination and good intentions will make him a truly unique individual, one that stands out from his peers, proving that no matter who you are, you can make a difference.

I love the way the story is made. It is cut into chapters with a bit of narration, giving us the warm "grandfather story" or "old school" feeling. It's a very comfortable ambiance, and every animal brings its personality into making an awesome story.

Now I am sure you've all seen talking animal movies before, with voice-overs. Babe took it one step further with the animals' lips being in sync with their lines! Talk about realism! The sets are very friendly to the eyes and contribute into making this movie a classic.

Babe is one great movie for everyone to see, it's magical and enchanting!

The Master T Score: ***** out of 5 Stars
93 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An astounding film
ChristopherRice17 December 2003
I was dragged to this film by my girlfriend (now wife) when it first came out in fall of 1995. I had zero interest in what seemed to me nothing more than a kids movie. I recall sitting in the theater before the movie commenced, looking at my watch and estimating the time it would end, when my life could begin again after this rude 90 minute interruption.

Then the film began. The moment Babe said a tearful goodbye to his mother as she was being led off to the slaughter house ("Pig Paradise", the narrator says), I was hooked. What stood out to me was not the tearful "Goodbye Mom", but the fact that after we see Babe's mom loaded into the truck, the camera goes back to Babe, siting in the corner of his industrial pen, sobbing profusely. This moment, maybe 90 seconds into the movie, is filmed so well, so perfect, that instead of coming off as melodramatic, it is heartrending. I know that word is used often to describe this film, but I do not know how else to describe it. This is one of many "heartrending" moments in this beautiful film.

This is by far the best childrens film I have ever seen, but it really is a mistake to even call it a childrens film. It is simply a great film. A film that shows how wondrous things can happen as a result of common decency; how any individual can triumph if they believe in themselves; how vital is the help of family and friends in life's arduous journey.

This a film not to be missed. It should have beaten Braveheart.
122 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Family Classic
Jakethemuss26 August 2007
This is a family film in the classic sense of the word, and it'd be hard to find a more charming and heartfelt tale. Ideally for children, but it can be enjoyed by adults too. It is a fantasy world where animals speak just like humans do.....albeit not in Australian accents, which is where the film is meant to be set.

The hero of this tale is a young pig named Babe, who is transfered from the pig pen, to the village fête, to the hands of Farmer Hoggett who wins the little fellow in a prize raffle(James Cromwell). It is on the farm he meets the locals, and is taken under the wing by a kind sheepdog named Fly, who has been characterised as the warm and motherly type. Not so warm is Rex (voiced by Hugo Weaving of Agent Smith fame), her growling no nonsense other half, who believes pigs do not belong with sheepdogs.

Babe is portrayed as the personification of innocence, and his gleeful and inquisitive nature brings him into contact with a host of farmyard animals. Not too sure why they felt he needed a furry little toupee between his ears, but each to his own. As Babe gets closer to Fly and the sheepdog role, he even begins to assume this role, much to Rex's dismay. But Babe has an awful lot of ambition for a little animal, and his heart is set on being a "sheep-pig".

There are moments of sadness in this film, such as loss and death, but it is mainly sweet natured and enchanting. It is one of the few Universal rated films I enjoy watching, and that is saying something for me!
26 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Is About As Good As It Gets For A Family Movie
ccthemovieman-119 March 2006
When this came out -- years ago, I thought, "Wow, this is pretty amazing" and since then movie audiences have been amazed at a number of camera tricks, computer-enhanced people, animals, monsters, and who knows what....so this kind of story with fun special effects is no longer is unique.

However, it's so charming, so nice a story that it should hold up as solid entertainment for a long, long time. It has proved to be anything but a flash-in-the-pan. This movie will endure. It's also a beautiful film on DVD with brilliant colors and some very rich visuals.

Filmed in rural Australia, the scenery is magnificent and so is the house that is featured in the film. It looks like some old-fashioned gingerbread house. The animals are entertaining, talking to one another like humans but not looking hokey in the process. In other words, the dubbing is well done.

The main character, "Babe," the little pig, is the nicest, most innocent "character" you could ever hope to find. Listening to him talk is heart-warming most of the time and sometimes it's heart-breaking. The best comic relief is provided by the goose who wants to be a rooster. That may sound like it's geared toward little kids, but it isn't. I haven't found an adult friend yet who didn't like this film.

It also was good to see James Cromwell play a nice guy, too. Most other times he seems to play profane and corrupt cops or government officials. Here, he's just a nice old farmer who blends in perfectly with the surroundings. His wife is a bit annoying, but not too bad.

This is a wonderful, sweet-hearted comedy-drama with a nice ending, too, guaranteed to leave you with a smile or a tear, or both. This is one of the best "family" movies of all time.
77 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Blew me away!
yahweh255 August 2003
I was one of the biggest detractors of this film when I initially found out it was nominated for an academy award back in 1995. A talking pig? You gotta be kiddin' me! Then, months after Braveheart walked with the award, I finally saw the infamous "Babe." Wow! Was I ever wrong. This movie not only deserved the nomination, but was a close, close second out of the five nominees in my book (Braveheart rightfully won, but I would have had no trouble had Babe won). I love this film because it has a sweet lining, yet tells a deep story about resolve, goodness, and the struggles of life in a very large sense. It makes you think, but more importantly, it makes you WANT to think about how all our lives are interconnected and what can be done by each seemingly insignificant individual to make the world a better place. That's saying a lot, when a guy who loves stuff like True Romance digs on a piggy movie. If you haven't seen this, buy it immediately.
45 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Pig's Fascinating Tale
Chrysanthepop8 July 2008
Remember the times when a parent or a grandparent would read to a child in bed, so that the child can visualize the story and comfortably sink into his/her dreamworld? Well, 'Babe' feels like such a story. It is a heartwarming tale about a Pig (called Babe by her 'Mom') and her friends at the farm. Chris Noonan executes it in such a wonderful way. The film is broken into chapters (just like in a book) and the lovable talking animals appear like very real and humanistic characters. the lip-syncing is impeccable. Also, I liked that the film doesn't completely refrain from reality as it does show that pigs are killed for meat or that puppies are given away or sold to others. It stays honest. The voice-acting is very well done. Christine Cavanaugh's childlike voice remarkably fits Babe. Miriam Margolyes, Danny Mann, Hugo Weaving and Miriam Flynn are all pleasing. James Cromwell is wonderfully restrained. The setting is a make-belief story-book farm. I found myself wondering, 'Is this an English farm?' and at the same time being confused that the people were speaking with an American accent but there's really no need to pick on that because it simply doesn't matter. Just enjoy the beautiful farm and the lovely characters. 'Babe' is one of the finest family films. Kids will surely love it. Heck, even I loved it when I saw it during my late teens...and I still love it as an adult.
24 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
That'll do, filmmakers
CountZero3132 May 2008
I was privileged to see this in the cinema in Melbourne years ago when it first came out and the buzz was just starting. A young-ish, single man at the time, I was dragged along oozing skepticism - but came out loving it unreservedly. I just watched it again with my two kids, aged seven and five, and watched them lap up the magic. It was wonderful to re-visit the film through their eyes. When The Boss takes the shotgun to the barn thinking Babe has savaged the sheep, they were genuinely fearful. They hated the laughter of the crowd at the sheepdog trials when Fogget appears with a pig. They cried when that derisive laughter turns to cheers (though not as much as me...).

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who love Babe. And the lost. Stay away from the latter.
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simple, likable feel-gooder
kintopf43222 March 2004
A simple, likable feel-gooder. In lesser hands, 'Babe' might easily have risked excruciating death by treacle, or by camp. It does have a couple weak spots (those non-sequitur mouse songs, for instance, do nothing for me, and I always wonder why they used fake American accents for the idiomatically British dialogue). But for the most part the inventive direction and sense of genuine whimsy (not unlike those of 'Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain') steer it away from the most dangerous pitfalls. The blend of CGI, puppetry, and real animals is subtle and wonderfully believable, with the 'performances' of Fly and Rex standing out in their eloquence and realism. Much has been made, of course, of James Cromwell's acting here, and he certainly is an authentic, very charming presence throughout. But Magda Szubanski's work shouldn't be overshadowed either--even her walk is rich in comic detail. In the end, there's not a whole lot to this film, but the good things outweigh the bad, the dark edges keep it all from getting too sappy, and some of the more expressive moments truly achieve a kind of magic. 8 out of 10.
30 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disarmingly charming and wonderful
bob the moo19 July 2002
Babe is separated from his family and becomes friends with some of the animals on his new farm. He learns that each animal has a role to play and that both he and Ferdinand the duck are fated to be lunch! Both take new roles to escape their fate and Babe tries to become a sheepdog. As Farmer Hoggett begins to notice the unusual way Babe can work with the sheep he begins to groom him for that role – much to the worry of his wife and the other farm animals.

Written by the guy who wrote the Mad Max films – that's what kills me. I know it's adapted but how can the Mad Max writer manage to deliver such a sweet film that is unassuming and comic and heart warming. The plot is great as it is adapted from `The Sheeppig' but Miller's script adds so many comic touches that it's funny throughout. The characters are all well written so that we care about them and get easily drawn in.

It's directed well and again feels fresh and different – whether it's the chapter set up or the use of the narrator or the way that the singing mice make the links it all works well. Because it is gentle and unassuming I found myself involved in it so easily and the themes of finding your own path and friendship are not rammed down your throat but just sit there if you want to get them. I've seen this several times and the silent, wonderful climax to the sheepdog trials makes me choke everytime (even if it is predictable).

All the voices are good and the use of animals is faultless. The use of animatronics is a little ropey at times but the sense of goodwill the film gave me extended to overlooking these minor complaints. James Cromwell is just superb as the human face in this drama – everytime I see him now I can only hear him say `that'll do pig'. Babe is a great hero and you feel for him from the start to the end – when he gives a little satisfied sigh it's difficult not to feel warm inside.

Overall this is one of the best children's films I've seen – it's light and unassuming and not a classic but it is comic, gentle and ultimately heart warming – what more do you want?
33 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Little Pig Who Could
AZINDN7 October 2007
Some films are so enjoyable that it is nearly impossible not to smile through them as they teach subtle lessons, and Babe is one of the best. It is the odd being that can't laugh at the antics of the animals of Farmer Hoggit's farm as Ferdinand, a duck tries to usurp the role of the rooster, three literate and musical mice read title cards aloud for younger audience members, and best of all, Babe, a Hoy piglet, learns the job of the brilliant herding dogs Rex and Fly, to win the annual sheep herding competition. Clever animation, well done animatronic creature-doubles, and a menagerie of superbly trained farm animals makes the story of the little pig who could be more than just bacon for breakfast a film for the entire family. A simple story that underscores that hard work and tolerance for those different from oneself is to be respected in the kingdom of all animals, Babe certainly brings to the screen through comedy and drama, lessons all ages can understand.

As Babe grows bigger through the great job of fattening up by Mrs. Hoggit, he makes friends with a sheep who conveys much wisdom about the rules of farm life where Rex is the dominant working dog, and the sheep are considered ignorant. However, Farmer Hoggit and Babe share a special relationship that confounds his wife, the sheep dogs, and the sheep. Hoggit trains Babe how to herd sheep and he's a mighty smart and fast learner, ultimately changing the rules that dominated the pecking order of the barnyard - "because that's the way it's always been" with good manners and friendship.

James Cromwell as Farmer Arthur Hoggit gives an understated and superb performance as the patient farmer who is willing to give a young pig a chance. This is one of the most delightful family films which is perfect for seasonal get-togethers or just because its a nice change to see a film devoid of car chases, explosions, and four letter words, yet adult in its message as well. Every library should have its own copy of little Babe, a Pig of Destiny.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Genuinely sweet and wonderful
Paul-1031 February 2000
This is one of the sweetest movies I have ever seen. Not preachy, but yet extends a message of love and harmony.

Just loved the pig, and James Cromwell was terrific as the somewhat befuddled but good-hearted farmer. The climax is a wonderfully quiet and touching scene. It's a movie about friendship and trust, you should see it, no matter how old you are.
36 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A beautiful film teaching the importance of cultural tolerance and support..
jnoleez14 January 2007
This is a great film. It should have been awarded the Oscar over the film that won that year. At a time in the world when the importance of understanding and practicing cultural tolerance was needed desperately, Babe came along and gave the world a brilliant guide. Although it is billed as a children's film, and the message is portrayed via farm animals who can talk, people of all ages should be able to connect with, and appreciate the coming together of different cultures to achieve a common good. In fact, the message is even more poignant and penetrating due to the obvious differences between a duck and a rooster, and a pig and a man. And when natural antagonists unite, the power of the film's message is overwhelming.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This little piggy went to the Oscars.
vip_ebriega27 August 2008
My Take: The CITIZEN KANE of talking animal movies.

For many years, BABE has been on the same line as THE WIZARD OF OZ and E.T., as a classic family film. It even made a runaway success in the box-office, charming audiences around the world in theaters back at 1995. It even made quite an impression in the Oscars being nominated even for Best Picture and 6 other Oscars (winning one for Best Special Effects, winning it fair-and-square from APOLLO 13). So with all the buzz that's still going on with BABE, is it really that great! For most parts, BABE still lives up to its title, "The little film that could".

While it ain't quite as perfect as the films I've mentioned above, BABE still deserves its place as a classic family film choice. It's painted with creative storyline, interesting characters and simply delightful moments of joy, fear, sadness and sweet triumph. Sure, it's only an "Animals-can-talk" movie, but this is the smartest one to date, and still is. Before being bogged down into terribly mediocre films like RACING STRIPES, talking animal movies can actually potentially achieving as this one. The characters, both human and animals, are given a surprising depth. In the animals, of course, there's Babe (voiced by Christine Cavanaugh), a curious and benevolent piglet with a lot of kindness in his heart, yet must go through depression and sadness a the same. His life leaves little less value to humans, who doesn't see him more than just another feast for the Holiday season. That is, except for the compassionate farmer Arthur Hoggett (James Cromwell), the most valuable human character in the movie, who sees his talents as a pig who actually knows how to herd sheep (by talking to them respectively, no less).

BABE maybe a straightforward children's film, but it no doubt still has power to charm any adult audience out there, thanks to its adult script, thankfully co-written by George "MAD MAX" Miller adapted from a novel by Dick King-Smith, and an especially endearing performance by the underrated James Cromwell as the farmer. The special effects too are worth mentioning, as they are a convincing alternation between animatronic creations and real, trained animals. But BABE will be best remembered, not as a technical marvel, but a clever and imaginative story. "That'll do." says the farmer. Enough said.

Rating: ***** out of 5.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Babe is a joy to watch
kathleen_p29 February 2008
I bought this movie for my girls when they were quite young and always enjoy watching it with them. I think it has a wonderful message of optimism and acceptance. Visually it is beautiful and the soundtrack contains some fabulous music. Quite charming for everyone to watch. My girls are teens now and still enjoy watching it, although not on a daily basis like when they were 5. The animal trainers really had their hands full with this one and should be proud of their accomplishments. The personalities of all the animal actors made you forget that you are watching animals perform. This is a story that could be done (and probably has been under some other title) with all humans of various races and cultures and still have the same effect of teaching tolerance of those that are different and giving everyone a chance to succeed.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Che Bella!!!!!!!!!!!
Sleestack12 November 1999
Along with "The Usual Suspects", "Braveheart", and the "Spanish Prisoner", this is the cream of the crop of 90's movies. I think that the late Joseph Campbell would agree that Babe's struggle to overcome the label pasted upon him by society, his fight to claim his own identity was no less magnificent than Luke Skywalker's struggle in Star Wars. There has never been a hero whose story better embodies the "Monomyth" better than this little pig.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Adorable Movie
Jessica Carvalho10 November 2005
Babe is one of the cutest movies already made! It's the story of a little pig, who starts living in the farm of the farmer Arthur Hoggettt and Esme Hoggett.There,he meets many new animals,like the Sheepdogs Fly and Rex,their puppies,Maa the Ewe and Ferdinand the duck,among other animals.Winning the respect of his new owner Arthur,Babe needs to prove that he is more than an ordinary pig, who was born to be human's food: he enters the competition for the sheepdogs and wins of all the pedigree-winning animals. His trick is to be polite with the other animals, different from the sheepdogs, that only achieve their tasks being rude to the ewes. Babe is a cute movie, not only for kids,but also for adults. It has a powerful message about being polite and helping others and also to never let anyone put you down, saying that you were not capable to do something.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ah
BuffaloWilder27 April 2008
  • I remember first seeing this when I was younger - eight or nine, around there, and it hasn't been until recently that I've revisited it. Up till' then, the most I could remember of the film were scant snippets from that moment when the young niece is screaming about her Christmas present.

I'd watched the sequel "Babe: Pig in the City," over and over again, many a time, and I don't think I'm really alone in believing it to be the superior film, but, that being said, this film is great in it's own right - Noonan "directed" this about as much as Steven Spielberg directed "A.I."; this is very much George Miller's film, from the trademark cinematography, to the screenplay (although, admittedly based on a book published a decade prior, he manages to imbue his own style into it).

Everyone, from James Cromwell to Mrs. Szubenski, does a great job here, but the standout performance has to be Hugo Weaving as "Rex," the sheepdog - apart from his voice which, even as a man myself, gives me the shivers, his vocal performance is nuanced, and just my favorite out of the entire cast.

The one annoying thing about this film - and really, this brings down "Pig in the City" a peg too, because they both fall victim - are the 'Chapter Mice.' Oh, how I loathe them. But, that's just me.

Miller is one of those directors that I don't think is ever going to really get his due recognition. Frequently, I see his films on best of lists - This and The Road Warrior are a favorite, and Happy Feet is up for a spot on AFI's top fifty animated films of all time - but rarely do I ever see his name mentioned. It's an odd paradox, because he's by and large a better filmmaker than Lucas and Weir (both filmmakers whom I respect immensely - Weir in particular for "Fearless,"). Alternatively, I could just say 'give it a few decades,' as has been the case with quite a few directors.

Well, enough of my ranting. See this film.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
even family films can be well done
Lee Eisenberg2 November 2006
"Babe" seems like the sort of movie that could come out mind-numbingly sappy. But they did a very good job with it. Portraying a pig becoming a sheep herder, one gets a look into the world as seen by farm animals. Probably the most perceptive aspect was the part about why sheep think that all dogs are wolves. As someone who usually takes no stock in movies like this, I definitely recommend this movie. And above all, this movie showed what a great actor James Cromwell is. Also featuring the voice of Hugo Weaving (of "The Matrix" and "V for Vendetta" fame). Check it out.

Bah-ram everyone!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
fantastic
ross robinson3 July 2004
I absolutely love babe, i think it's a wonderful, a fantastic children's movie to watch with the whole family, the movie is about a pig that is separated from it's mother, brothers and sisters. The pig is won by a farmer who says at the carnival that he doesn't keep pigs, the farmer gets a phone call saying that he is the pig winner. The pig is brought home to the farm, a dog and it's pups find that there is someone new, the pig cries for it's mother and the dog comforts the pig. The pig is brought up by the mother (Fly) and is trined to become a sheep pig (Which really is known as sheepdog, but instead a pig is trained to do the same job as what a dog does) At the end of the movie the judges give babe an excellent score 10 out of 10 for doing the job of leading the sheep back to the fence box. I give Babe 10 out of 10 because it's a wonderful movie.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
That'll Do Pig!!
Erica Duhan24 March 2012
I don't know about anyone else, but this movie was SO cute!! The story is rich and maintained throughout the entire film. The narration and dialogue are wonderful, filled with humor, pathos and other emotional nuances. The acting and character development are superb in every respect from the humans to the fowl, field and domestic critters. The cinematography is opulent. The special effects are delightful and never interfered with the story--well, I will concede, when this movie first came out, it was eye-popping seeing the animal lips in sync with the dialogue. But, once you got over the initial shock, you forgot about it and just basked in the story.

Personally, because I am such a prolific reader, I really enjoyed the storybook format with the chapter headings. It felt like being curled up on the sofa with my faithful companions (which, in my case, are three cats) safely tucked around me in front of a crackling fire with a nice warm afghan, a good mug of hot chocolate and my favorite book.

No matter how many times I see this movie, I always walk away with warm fuzzies knowing I've been treated to a rare delight. Thanks for proving that it is still possible to provide someone like me--who just wants to see a good tale done well--with a quality movie experience.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
That'll do, Pig. That'll do.
Benedict_Cumberbatch15 January 2008
"Babe" is one of the cutest movies of all time. A "kids' movie" that's enjoyable for audiences from 8 to 80 years old, with a smart script/direction, great characters (human and animal beings!) and an unforgettable climax. Along with "Edward Scissorhands", "Stand by Me" and "Home Alone", it's one of the movies I grew up watching on TV and that marked my childhood the most (and helped my love for movies to blossom). The Greek choir of mice often steals the show (their interpretation of Édith Piaf's "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" is classic), but it's Babe's, Hoggett's (the brilliant James Cromwell) and Maa's humanity that makes this story so special.

As for those who are ashamed of admitting they love Babe because it's "just a kids movie", Babe would say: "Move along there, ya... big buttheads!" Almost 13 years later, you still rock my world, Pig. 10/10.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Animal movie for the whole family
gokat612 November 2006
A fun, heart-warming movie with a quirky twist. I really enjoyed this movie as a light-hearted look at life on a farm. It is suitable for all ages. It does not contain any bad language, sex or strong violence. The basic story premise speaks to the child in all of us and in my opinion is far superior than the sequel (Babe - Pig in the City). The performances by the artists and puppeteers from Jim Henson Creature Shop, the Animatronics robotic animals and the real animals are seamless. A big plus that the film was shot on location in Australia and used a lot of local talent. A movie one could see again and again and find new things to enjoy each time.
Great movie
micheleappell15 October 2006
I liked Babe and Babe in the Pig City. How can I order both of them on VHS? They were OK movies. It was a funny movie and great for kids. My husbands niece would like to see them. I like the pig he was wonderful in the movie. I recommend this movie with family your kids will love this movie. It's the best. I wish I owned them so that I could show her the movies. I do own a lot of movies but not those 2. This is a movie that adults and children will love to watch over and over again. I liked them I know you will too. Can't wait to see them again for it's been a long time since I have seen these movies. These are the best movies I have seen and would tell anyone who's a child at hart to watch these movies with you. It's great fun. I don't have any kids but I would still watch them. I think they are cute movies that people would love with or without kids. I hope I find these movies Michele
Very impressed with this
The_Light_Triton3 May 2006
My grandma got this as a Christmas present for me and my brother soon as it came out. i was 5 at the time and i was impressed with it. The idea of the animal's mouth moving was probably a first in this movie. i hadn't seen it before, not in Milo and Otis, or napoleon.

anyway, Babe is a runt who is separated from his brothers and sisters when his mother is taken away to be slaughtered. he's taken to a fun fair where farmer hoggett wins him by guessing his weight. he goes to live with the sheepdogs and decides to try what they do; herding sheep. and thus beginning his adventure with sheep.

This was a very good G-rated movie, right down to the humor. Ferdinand the duck makes his voice so funny, he's half the reason you'd see this movie twice. there's minimal toilet humor (Babe calls a sheep a butt-head, if you want to consider that offensive or toilet humor) and lot of great voice acting.

it's 9/10.