IMDb > Babe (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Babe

Babe More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 19: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

What could have been

Author: bfearthlink from US
9 August 2003

This should have been the start of a fabulous series. The sequel is even better than the first. Alas, the fates (and the lack of intelligence of the critics and audience) did not recognize the latter as being the adult masterpiece that it is. There will be no more Babes. What a gorgeous film.

Cool Movie!

Author: patrick-mcgrath from Riverview, NB
7 August 2003

Babe is my ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE! My favorite Sheepdog is Fly. She is lovely and easy-going, whereas Rex looks creepy and always ticked and might as well be the father of Demon from "Snow Dogs!" If they make a 3rd Babe, they should give the sheepdogs nicknames like Tracy and Calvin had in "Like Mike." Like say "R-Time" for Rex or "F-Dog" for Fly. They should also get Fly to sing "Sk8er Boi" by Avril Lavigne and Rex to rap "Without Me" by Eminem with beeping sounds at each curse word. They should also have outtakes from all 3 "Babes" like the fight scene from the first "Babe" between Fly & Rex being held at a hockey rink and Hoggett, now in a ref's outfit, says "5 Minutes for Fighting!" and then Babe trying to "put things right again," and when Rex starts growling, Babe hits a button on his watch that makes him go faster and Rex says "How is he doing that?" What better way to quote "Like Mike" than from a Border Collie?

Enchanting tale

Author: trvwatson from london
16 March 2003

This film was so enchanting i really enjoyed it, i really want to know where it was filmed, idd get on a coach and go there tomorrow, is it a guest house. The set was perfect, and the story was beautifully told, and the animals didn't annoy me like i thought they would, its very hard im sure in a film to make the talking animals not to appear to human, and to give them right of space to say hey ya know were still animals, that was great, also there was no animal violence, the only creatures that did badly out of this film was us, constantly reminded that we are killing little pigs and eating them, i suppose i felt guilty for a second, but not for long, a very enchanting tale full of wonder.

Great Family Entertainment!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
5 November 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Our story opens in a large warehouse where pigs are born and raised and when the mother pigs are fat enough, they're taken away to meat factories. One little piglet, Babe, was sad to see his mother go. Just then, two men grabbed him and took him away for a special project. The project was: he would be won at a carnival if someone correctly guessed his weight. Babe was soon won by Arthur Hoggett, a quiet farmer. He and his wife, Esme, lived on a farm in the country. They had all sorts of animals: cows, horses, sheepdogs: Rex and Fly, sheep and more! Fly had puppies and when she noticed that Babe was lonley, took him under her wing. Gruff Rex took an immediate dislike to him.

Every morning on the Hoggett farm, just as the rooster is getting ready to crow, a bumbling duck, Ferdinand, beat him to the punch; Fly taught Babe the rules of the farm: the dogs are allowed in the house, pigs are not. The dogs go with the master on sheep herding trips, pigs do not. Next morning, just as the rooster and Ferdinand were getting ready to crow, the Hoggetts' new alarm clock beat them both to the punch! So while the Hoggetts were at church, Ferdinand recruited gullible Babe to help him get that alarm clock. They venture into the house and cause quite a mess! Rex laid down the law for Babe. And as if that wasn't bad enough, Christmas was approaching and the Hoggetts had to decide what would be for dinner: pork or duck? The next day, the Hoggetts' yuppie children and grandchildren arrived! Fly's puppies had to be sold, leaving her lonely until Babe began calling her Mom. The decision about dinner had been made: duck. But it wasn't Ferdinand! It was a friend of his which made him very upset so he ran away.

Next morning, while Babe ran off into the fields where sheep are herded, the Hoggetts opened their Christmas presents. Arthur and Esme got a fax machine and took a dislike to it because they had no clue how to work one; Babe began herding sheep like a pro, because he found out all he had to do was ask them. Rex was very angry and humiliated and lashed out at Fly for no reason. In light of Babe's herding, Arthur decided to enter him in the National Sheepdog Championship. After all, there was no rule that stated a pig couldn't enter. So he did and at the area, everybody laughed at Arthur. Also, the sheep here were strange and didn't know Babe, so Rex, suddenly turned nice, went back to the sheep at the farm to get help. They told him a password that he told to Babe and the strange sheep obeyed and Babe herded them. The audience never cheered so hard and Arthur Hoggett won!

A pretty good film! Cute. James Cromwell was good, well everybody was good too! This film boosted Cromwell's career! Voices: Christine Cavanaugh (Dexter, Chuckie from Rugrats) is Babe; Miriam Margolyes (James and the Giant Peach) is Fly; Danny Mann is Ferdinand; and Hugo Weaving is Rex; Was followed by a sequel: Babe: Pig in the City, which was pretty good too. So if you haven't already seen it, I recommend Babe!

A truly magical film for both adults and children...

Author: chadgeri from Kansas, USA
19 August 2002

I first saw this film when I was 19 years old, and it so captivated me with its magic that I felt like a kid again. A truly great story, with some excellent performances by the cast both human and animal, this is a great tale of courage in the face or adversity, and how the desire to fulfill your dreams can make anything possible. The greatest finale of any movie I've EVER seen. Ten out of ten!

A Perfect film

Author: kbuswell from boston
5 August 2002

Yes, it is a perfect film. First, it is entertaining - it has a wonderful, gentle sense of humor and an adorable protagonist. Second, it is dramatic. There are scenes of peril and scenes of uncertainty that are engaging enough for adults but not too scary for children (unlike the sequel, which along with some very intense scenes, gets much of its laughs from humiliating Mrs. Hogget). Third, it has a moral that it builds up to without being preachy or saccharine. Finally, it manages to do all of these things without a single false moment. There is nothing to explain and no moments that will make you reconsider showing this film to children (for instance, The Indian in the Cupboard, which is an otherwise good, serious and moral film has a scene where a child is flipping through the channels. For a brief moment he flips to MTV which is showing a video of a bikini-clad woman dancing around. I watched this video with a group of 4th and 5th graders and as soon as the image of the woman came on screen, at least two of the girls looked away. If you?re a film maker, why would you include this???!!!).

This is a sweet, moral, entertaining fairy tale that will have you swept away and cheering at the end. In case you're skeptical of this review, my other favorite film is Magnolia, which, though quite different in tone, is also about morality.

A most human film

Author: apfortony from Beaufort, NC
27 June 2002

This film, which was robbed of the Oscar by Mel Gibson's bloated, boring Bravehart, does what every great film does: create magic. I remember the promotion for the original Superman, "You will believe a man can fly." For Babe they could have said, "You will believe animals can talk." The voice work is extraordinary. It's too bad films with "superstar" actors aren't as well cast. In an era where being obnoxious is considered funny and true-to-life, Babe shows that treating others with respect and kindness can work miracles. It is a very sweet-natured film that probably has made vegetarians out of countless thousands.

"Christmas Means Carnage!!!"

Author: La Gremlin from Boston, MA
13 June 2002

"Babe" is supposedly not as dark as it's follow-up, "Pig in the City". Which is a strange thing to say when the entire plot of the first film has a lot to do with whether our trusty hero will end up as Christmas dinner.

And that's why "Babe" is better than any talking animal movie has any business being. It doesn't shy away from the gruesome truths about the animals' world. At the same time, it remains charming and contains more subversive humor than most R-rated comedies (check out the Hoggit's unappreciative little punk of a granddaughter for example).

THE BEST MOVIE FEATURING ANIMALS...

Author: Matija Trost from Ljubljana, Slovenija
7 May 2002

...ever!

When I first heard about Babe, I said to myself : Oh no, not another "animal-can-talk" type of movie, such as crappy Beethoven or Look who's talking 2. But after I saw it, I was speechless. I haven't seen something so sweet and touchy (without being corny) coming from this kind of movies for a long time. Or ...never.

What makes movie a masterpiece deserving mark 10 out of 10? A great story? Actors devoted to their roles? Scenography? Directing?

All that, I guess. And beside outstanding acting from James Cromwell, Babe could be just one of the million movies playing with the people emotions. But luckily it isn't. It got something inside that made me looking at the pigs differently, after watching it. And this is the ability of true masterpieces. So that's why a... ...10 out of 10

Everyone should watch this film

Author: mokil from Liverpool, UK
3 May 2002

Babe is a terrific story filled with great characters and strong morals.

Excellent script, effects, characters, acting, directing...

I cannot recommend this film enough - watch it at least once!