IMDb > Babe (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Babe

Babe More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 19: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Babe 1995

Author: anitachase200 from Canada
8 May 2007

I was wondering if anyone else had been bothered by the whole incongruity of American voices over what is obviously shot in another country. It wasn't so bad for the animals but the people were bad and something I continually bumped into as I watched the movie. I just saw it again on cable with my 5 year old daughter. I am happy to see I am not the only person who noticed this problem in an otherwise charming little movie. It is a great little story for younger kids and those of us with a farming background. I must say I would like to visit that little farm and hang out for a week or so. LOL Wanted one charming little farm with charming little farmer and talking animals for rent or for lease with option to buy.lol

Oink.

Author: Spuzzlightyear from Vancouver
14 April 2006

I love Babe. It's such a sweet, unassuming movie. By that I mean, what are you expecting from a movie about a talking pig who excels in sheepherding? The plot of this story is simple, which is good for the kiddies, and the adults will enjoy this too as it has many life lessons demonstrated by the animals on display.

The special effects here are great for the time, although there have been advances (just watch almost any cat/dog food commercial nowadays). They don't overwhelm the plot, which is nice for such a movie as this.

Although this movie won't change your world I think (although some people have converted to vegetarianism just by watching this movie), this will surely put a warmth in your heart.

This little pig is big on charm

Author: johno-21 from United States
9 March 2006

This along with The Wizzard of Oz and The Neverending Story are my favorite movies for kids that adults can love too. This is a charming original film from director Chris Noonan who really hasn't put much on the screen in his career but is currently working on three new films including Mrs. Potter starring Renée Zellweger as children's author Beatrix Potter which will bring his name back into prominence. Noonan co-wrote this script along with the film's producer George Miller based on the Dick King Smith novel. Babe was nominated for seven Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Art Direction, film editing, Effects and Screenplay and took home the Oscar for Best Effects. Jim Henson's Creature Shop creators did the animatronics for this. Andrew Lesnie who would go on to do the Lord of the Rings trilogy of films is the cinematographer. James Cromwell in his Academy Award nominated role as Best Actor is Farmer Hoggett and Magda Szubanski is great as his wife Mrs. Hoggett. Christine Cavanaugh who has done voices for animated TV shows The Rugrats, Dexter's Laboratory and The Critic among others is the voice of Babe the pig. This is a clever and sweet movie with lots of laughs too. I would give this a 9.0 on a scale of 10 and highly recommend it.

Cute Movie

Author: abrafocus from United States
28 February 2006

This a is very cute movie. I was confused, though, why the movie makers used a girl to do Babe's voice, when it was clear at the beginning that Babe was a boy.

Christine Cavanaugh did a very good job, however. Until very recently, I never knew the voice of Rex was Hugo Weaving, who played Elrond in the LOTR trilogy. The voice of Fly was Miriam Margoyles.

In the middle of the film, the family celebrates Christmas. But's it's summer! I didn't know when I first watched it that this story took place in Australia, which is in the Southern Hemisphere. I knew then that it was no mistake.

The story is really good. I think James Cromwell did a great job. I really enjoyed his little dance, and the animals watching him. That was really funny.

If you like puppies, you'll like the puppies in this film. Although they're in the film only briefly, it's worth every minute.

My Score: 8/10.

You got me,Babe.

Author: ianlouisiana from United Kingdom
14 November 2005

When I first saw"Babe" I didn't go home and empty my fridge of meat.I still eat bacon sandwiches,I did not become a vegetarian - Hitler was a vegetarian for heaven's sake.I do not believe that animals have equal rights with human beings - do we give out of work guide dogs Unemployment Benefit?I do not inhabit some anthropomorphic fantasy world where we romp with our four legged friends by sparkling mountain streams - in short,I am a relatively normal well-balanced person not particularly susceptible to having my emotions tweaked by a film about a piglet that takes over the duties of an ageing sheep dog in order to avoid being slaughtered. Why then,do the three words "That'll do pig" cause a not unpleasant tingling sensation at the top of my nose and my vision to mist over?An effect not dissimilar to crying,dammit? That of course is the magic of the movies.The reason we go to the pictures in the first place,the reason we send posts to this site. Regardless of your eating habits "Babe"either gets to you or it doesn't. From the scene in the darkened barn where a gleaming black lorry takes Babe's mother to the slaughterhouse to the moment of his final triumph at the sheepdog trial I was enthralled.I found the Greek Chorus of mice quite charming,but they're too small to be fully appreciated on TV. James Cromwell is outstanding as Farmer Hoggett,there is no sense that he is appearing in a film about a talking pig,he is dead serious about his role and consequently totally believable.One smirk,one half;closed eyelid directed towards the camera and it would all come crashing down.

He's ten times more charming than that Arnold from 'Green Acres', know what I'm saying?

Author: soymilk from East Anglia, UK
31 December 2004

Sorry, that's an in-joke there – anyone familiar with Jules' anti-bacon speech in 'Pulp Fiction' will understand me. But then again, it would probably be true – I'm not familiar with this Arnold from 'Green Acres' myself, but it would amaze me if he could manage to out-charm Babe, undoubtedly one of the most endearing title characters I've ever come across. Civil, well-intentioned and blissfully naive, this swine doesn't have an ounce of malice within him; even the (very brief) couple of moments where he shows a somewhat darker nature – chomping on a sheep's leg and head-butting a dog – are done, essentially, in good faith.

First off, I want to establish that 'Babe' is a seriously special film to me personally. Hopefully there's no shame in admitting that it's had an emotional impact on my life like few others I've seen. I was completely mesmerised by it back in 1996 – I saw it three times in the cinema, and it's probably no coincidence that I first became a vegetarian in the same year. Well, to be honest I was pretty much on the road to giving up meat beforehand, but 'Babe' definitely accelerated the process. It made me seriously consider the aspects of animal welfare which, up until then, I had been refusing to acknowledge. That said, I would hate for anyone to think of 'Babe' as being essentially just pro-vegetarian propaganda, and will stress that while they're not exactly praised for it, none of the human characters are ever demonised for eating meat. Even Mrs Hogget, who never sees Babe as anything more than a potential Christmas dinner, is far too upbeat and bubbly to be disliked. What 'Babe' does do, however, that very few family flicks set on barnyards have the guts to do, is actually make that connection between the animals themselves and the cuisine that most of them are destined to become – nothing is sugar-coated in that sense, and that' s one of the things I find so striking about it.

For all its colourful and picturesque glory, Hogget Farm hides that darker reality, which the animal residents are well-aware of. Some (like Rex, Fly and Duchess) are exempt and know they personally have nothing to worry about, others (like the cow) have grimly accepted the situation – "the only way you'll find happiness is to accept that the way things are, are the way things are" – while others (like Ferdinand) are driven to desperation by it. What separates Babe from the rest of his compatriots is his simple ignorance about the whole deal, and maybe that's what in itself makes him so disarming – his cheery presence is like a sweet breath of fresh air round this place, and there's something very alluring about seeing such wholesome innocence survive for so long against such a backdrop. Really, it's just impossible to resist him.

With a hero like that, you know you're at a great starting point for an inspirational feel-good fable about friendship, determination and overcoming prejudice, which effectively avoids being patronising or excessively sentimental. Added to which, the blend of real animals, animatronics and Jim Henson puppetry is extremely well done – most people could probably work out where they're using an inorganic alternative in many scenes, but it's convincing enough, and doesn't clash as violently with the real animal actors as it does in later 'talking animal' films like 'Cats and Dogs'. So, while it might not be completely seamless, I've still yet to see anything since which truly rivals it! One aspect of 'Babe' which I've definitely come to appreciate more over the years is James Cromwell's performance as Farmer Hogget – a challenging role which he tackles very nicely, considering that his character gets so much screen time and yet so little dialogue. Cromwell does a flawless job of conveying, through a series of subtle gestures and facial expressions, a shy man who is, nevertheless, as deep and thoughtful as they come; in some ways almost as alluring as Babe himself (the animals are great, but this is equally worth watching for the humans). Amongst the four-legged crowd, the tittering of those three singing mice may admittedly wear a little thin for some (though their rendition of 'Blue Moon' is delightful), but Fly, Rex, Maa and Ferdinand are certainly all good supporting characters, each presenting Babe with different outlooks on life and the world around them. As much as I love the original Dick King-Smith novel upon which this was based ('the Sheep Pig'), I definitely feel that the screenwriters here did a great job in fleshing the story and characters out even further, giving us a deeper and more intricate picture along the theme of seeing eye-to-eye with others.

Almost ten years on, 'Babe' still remains one of the most rewarding and thoroughly heart-warming family films you're ever going to see - well-made and lovable, it works a real treat. You can skip the outrageously unnecessary sequel though.

Grade: A+

How an adapation should be done

Author: Gimli_son_of_Gloin_9 from Cheshire, England
30 October 2004

This is one of the most heart-warming films you are ever likely to see. Taken from the book by Dick King-Smith, it follows the adventures of a little piglet called Babe. It is beautifully shot, Australia substituted for England, and has a cast of human actors who feel like they have just popped out of the book itself. The animals are a clever mixture of real live dogs, pigs, sheep etc. and puppet performers. With some characters that you will just fall in love with, Babe is a true family film and will entertain you again and again. Nominated for Best Picture and unfortunately losing to Braveheart, this small film in comparison to all others nominated that year, is tale that will have you smiling (and perhaps a little bit of crying now and then) from start to finish. It has been kept close to the award-winning book and is how a film based on a book should be.

" --- believe me, sooner or later, all pigs get eaten --- "

Author: shokenjii from California
24 October 2004

"Babe's" setting is an Australian sheep ranch of conservative folk with traditional work ethics, where on-site animals are either livestock (becoming, or producing, a marketable commodity) or they work along side their masters to earn their keep. No animal is wasted, nor is it carried as extra baggage -- predatory animals and vermin are killed. These animal divisions reflect domestic history and influences of the creation account in Genesis for the fifth and sixth days. Duchess, the Hoggett's cat - Babe's antagonist and maybe the film's only pet - is probably kept to contain vermin.

The film opens at a breeding facility, where newborn Babe is suckling with his piglet brothers and sisters. A scant few frames later, his mother is taken to slaughter and replaced by a mechanical feeder -- no sentiment, no morality, no time lost in the food production cycle. Yet, Babe's life is altered -- from imminent slaughter to lottery prize at a local country fair -- as he goes to Farmer Hoggett's (James Cromwell) sheep ranch. However, the inevitable may be only delayed -- Mrs. Hoggett (Magda Szubanski) is planning to serve roast pig for Christmas dinner. But the narrator has promised us -- as the harbinger of presumed glad tidings -- that Babe and Farmer Hoggett will share a common destiny.

Saddened at the loss of his mother -- but unaware of her true fate -- Babe is comforted, adopted and nurtured by Fly, a border collie, who has just had a litter. She and her mate, Rex, shepherd the flocks for Farmer Hoggett. Although befriended by all farm animals, Babe learns the organizational pyramid, where the border collie sits at the top; and sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks - all "stupid" livestock to be eaten - sit at the base. Although sometimes disadvantaged and often less fortunate,every creature has a designated place and role in farm society (that seems eerily similar to how some people see human society).

Filmed in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales and directed by Chris Noonan, "Babe," with six Academy nominations, has been a positive influence for innovative cinema. All animals can talk on Hoggett's ranch (though not always intelligibly nor to humans); but this film is considerably more in all categories of film arts and crafts than an Academy Award for special visual effects. Babe's voice (Christine Cavanaugh), however, with its innocent, gentle and diplomatic tones is particularly endearing, maybe enchanting -- you will be won over too, and find yourself standing with literally thousands (including my mother), cheering loudly for the little pig.

Babe's sojourn with the Hoggetts is a test of conventional ways and accepted notions, by both the farmer and the pig. If, as Duchess says (in a tone that reminds us of Cinderella's stepsisters), " --- believe me, sooner or later, all pigs get eaten," can Babe look forward to becoming anything more than pork chops, bacon, or sausage? When Fly confirms that "the Boss" (Farmer Hoggett) probably sees a pig's fate in the same way (as the cat does), Babe's heart nearly breaks -- isn't the Boss a trusted friend? Whether or not you consider this film to be a parody of larger social issues, or questions of humanity's ordained relationship to animals, it is must see FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT, with bright humor and comedy, despite our serious discussion -- and very likely, THE BEST animal film ever!

A Magical Mystery tour (Mildest of the mild SPOILERS maybe!)

Author: The Court Clown from Los Angeles
29 August 2004

In my opinion, this is an excellent and very touching movie for the whole family, children and adults alike, to watch. But more than a movie, it's a video book. At least, that's how I felt while watching it.

The storyline of Babe is decent, the acting of the human cast is quite good and adequate, the cast is excellent (and dedicated to their work, as I gathered later), and the animation superb. And above that, there are the mice and their excellently cute song (I played their song at the end of the movie God knows how many time!), and the very likable chemistry of the Hoggett couple.

There are many interesting sequences: the ridiculous 'dance' of the farmer to humor the ill Babe, the clandenstine operation by the duck to get rid of the mechanical device, the "quid pro quo" of the sheep password vis-a-vis the willy-nilly promises of Rex, and then the climax.

As far as the cast goes: I liked James Cromwell in L.A. Confidential (where he was busy shooting his own officers in a bid to control the cocaine market, 'Boyo'); so there's no way I could have disliked him in Babe, as the silent yet affectionate farmer Hoggett. Magda Szubanski did justice to the role of Mrs. Hoggett; while watching Babe, I could never guess that she was just a young woman of 34!

Babe rocks!

That'll do pig

Author: R_O_U_S from United Kingdom
20 January 2004

This was one of those films that grew on me more and more as time went by. It's not so much that there are talking pigs and sheep and dogs and a duck that wants to be a cockerel (arf!) There's real tragedy in the character of Rex, a sheepdog voiced by Agent Smith who's too proud to admit his encroaching deafness. Then there's the care Farmer Hoggett takes over his beloved Pig when ill, that ridiculous dance and the climactic sheep-pig trial. The moment when silence is broken by a barely audible click, then the audience goes mad and Hoggett says...well, you know the rest.