IMDb > Babe (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Babe

Babe More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 19: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

The charming film that encouraged vegetarianism - and you can see why.

Author: Greg Coulter (g_coulter@btinternet.com) from Blackpool, England
17 June 2000

When I first heard the premise, I was not instantly attracted. I decided to wait for it to appear on the main TV network - and I realised that I was close to missing a suberb movie.

It sets itself up to be a typical kid's film - one that has children everywhere dragging uninterested adults to see it. It could so easily have been this way - but there is something about it that makes it even more enjoyable than... (trying to think of another great family movie)... dare I say it... even more enjoyable than The Wizard of Oz.

Quite what makes it so is a mystery. The animals are cute and all, but there are a ton of other movies with furry critters everyone loves. Perhaps it's the perfect character voices that accompany these creatures, or the lush and colourful scene locations.

But what really puts Babe apart from other movies is its sharp script. It gets dangerously close to becoming sentimental nonsense at times - but usually just remains sentimental. The characters are instantly adorable, even the wicked cat, who delightfully devious.

Quite simply, this is not just a film for children. I am 28, and I watched it on my own - I loved every second. There were even moments when, if I weren't the heartless cynic I am (!), the tears would have poured down my cheeks.

This film did surprisingly well worldwide, and spawned an equally enjoyable yet not as successful sequel. Muriel's Wedding aside, it is the best film to come from Australia in a long time. I urge you to rent it out and open your heart to these wonderful animals. I can guarantee that you'll think twice before eating bacon, pork, lamb or duck after this movie!

One of 1995's best

Author: cinecism-2 from Memphis, TN
14 June 2000

Don't bother looking--you won't find a more creative film in 1995 than this immensely charming sleeper about a pig that thinks he's a sheepdog. It sounds goofy, all right, and I rolled my eyes right along with everyone else when I heard about it, but who knew that this movie would turn out to be so good? "Babe" oozes originality and emotion, as that little pig proves that it really does pay to have a kind heart and a determined mind. James Cromwell is marvelous as the farmer who is just eccentric enough to take the pig under his wing; he gives what is probably the year's most undervalued performance. Some movies ennoble your mind; some tug at your heart. It did both, but more than anything, "Babe" made me happy to be a movie lover, and there's probably nothing better you can say about a film if you really think about it.

an all-time favorite

Author: Valen-12 from Kentucky
1 April 2000

Don't be turned off by "some kid's movie about a pig".

This is a great film, rich in characters, scenery, story, and meaning. Seldom have I seen a story-book world transposed so beautifully to the screen. The animatronics are seemless and the actors are superb.

The episodic progression of the film adds to the story-book magic. Gradually, it builds to the silent and breathless last scene--one of the most powerful I've ever seen.

Take time to see this film. It is a feel-good movie, and never fails to brighten my day.

An absolute delight! Funny, uplifting, wonderful!!!

Author: Galaxia-2 from San Juan, Puerto Rico
6 February 2000

I LOVE this movie! It's terrific fun to watch, and it completely engaged my emotions from the first frame to the last. It's SO cathartic; impossible not to care for these characters, and to fervently want them to be happy. Whenever I watch "Babe", I cannot refrain from spending most of the movie with both hands clasped, going "OH HOW CUUUUUTE!!!" "OH HOW SWEEEET!!" This is one of the best "feel good" movies I have ever seen. I don't know one single person who didn't like this flick. It's PERFECT!! When Farmer Hoggett sings to Babe, and when he does his little dance, I literally get goosebumps, because it's such a heart-stirring, beautifully touching sight to behold. Mr. and Mrs. Hoggett are such lovable, memorable and completely sympathetic characters! I was so taken with Farmer Hoggett, that upon seeing James Cromwell in "L.A. Confidential", the first thing that popped into my mind was: "Wait a minute! No, no, this is all wrong! That's Farmer Hoggett, he can't be BAD!!" For real! EVERYONE should see this movie. It truly fills the heart with joy. Instant classic! If I were a psychiatrist, I would prescribe this movie, rather than Prozac, as an anti-depressant. It's THAT wonderful!

A movie the whole family can love.

Author: Fancy (lundyfamily@webtv.net) from Michigan
10 January 2000

It is not too often when our whole family can go a movie and all of us end up loving it. When we saw Babe four years ago.We all came out of the movie smiling. Babe is one of the best family movies I have seen. A movie about a sweet pig who lives on a farm. He makes friends with the other farm animals and ends up wanting to be a sheep herder.My favorite scene is when Ferdinand talks Babe in to going in the house and getting the "electric" rooster. We bought the movie on video as soon as it came out and still watch it to this day.

The Best Talking Pig Movie Ever

Author: TeaMan2000 from Boston, MA
28 December 1999

He's just sooooo cute. You can't avoid this conclusion. The animation is enchanting and realistic. The songs are good. The commentary from talking mice is greco-chorus-like. And it has a lovely moral too: the weak outsider can triumph against convention. Maybe if some of the teen gunmen in the world could absorb this message, the world would be a better place.

A terrific character portrayal with good social lessons.

Author: Oscar Olszewski (oolszewski@mobilnet.gte.com) from Pensacola, Florida
4 December 1999

Few films address the issues of coping and dealing with everyday issues. Even fewer try to make a social statement about a social order and status of different characters. This film took these issues and transferred them to a barnyard setting and applied the characters to animals and gave each animal the gift of speech, expression and reasoning. The core issues centered around a pig who wanted to know what his/her place was in society. The lessons learned were dramatized well and simple to grasp.

Even thought this was a childs' film, it had some excellent social statements and entertainment value for parents as well. The climax of the film was completely entertaining and splendid. I felt a rare joy when I laughed at final scene during the final moments of the competition.

The direction and puppet work was the best I have ever seen. The creativity used in this film was excellent. I have only the best respect for the participants who made this film. It had much of the classic Disney Charm used in children's films of the past. This film will have a place in 1990's film Americana.

i thought it couldn't be done

Author: deveney (deveney@bluegrass.net)
11 November 1999

this movie is great. why is it great? because it's different! it's not about sex, it's not about violence, it doesn't attack any religion, race, or gender. it's just a sweet movie with a wonderful moral. it's like animal farm without that evil communist allegory..well, not really, but close. Although it's intended for children, i think it has very broad appeal. I liked it because it's a breath of fresh air! it's not another stupid, worthless, thoughtless Disney cartoon. it's a great, timeless story. what's not to love?!

Delicious!

Author: GeneralB from PA
18 October 1999

This film really revived James Cromwell's career. At least he seems to be receiving a lot more attention, and has starred prominently in a number of successful films, such as "Star Trek: Insurrection" and "LA Confidential". The social commentary of this film was nicely done. It encourages diversity with the various animals overcoming negative views of each other("all sheep are stupid") and cooperating(sort of a more optimistic version of "Animal Farm"). But this film made me hungry more than anything else. While watching the film's star, I couldn't help but picture how juicy and delicious he would look as a roasted ham or a strip of bacon. By the time the film was over, my mouth was watering. Afterwards, I had a ham sandwich and then had a bacon omelette the next morning. Don't watch this film on a empty stomach unless your refrigerator is full of meat products.

An absolute classic.........

Author: drake-22 from Long Island NY
23 August 1999

and the best family film ever made. The last scene in this movie, when the farmer finally acknowledges the pig's skill with a laconic "That'll do pig...that'll do" and the pig reacts, animatronic or not, with a facial expression that would put most human actors to shame, ranks among the best single scenes in movie history