IMDb > Babe (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

That'll do, filmmakers

Author: CountZero313 from Japan
2 May 2008

I was privileged to see this in the cinema in Melbourne years ago when it first came out and the buzz was just starting. A young-ish, single man at the time, I was dragged along oozing skepticism - but came out loving it unreservedly. I just watched it again with my two kids, aged seven and five, and watched them lap up the magic. It was wonderful to re-visit the film through their eyes. When The Boss takes the shotgun to the barn thinking Babe has savaged the sheep, they were genuinely fearful. They hated the laughter of the crowd at the sheepdog trials when Fogget appears with a pig. They cried when that derisive laughter turns to cheers (though not as much as me...).

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who love Babe. And the lost. Stay away from the latter.

The Little Pig Who Could

Author: AZINDN from United States
7 October 2007

Some films are so enjoyable that it is nearly impossible not to smile through them as they teach subtle lessons, and Babe is one of the best. It is the odd being that can't laugh at the antics of the animals of Farmer Hoggit's farm as Ferdinand, a duck tries to usurp the role of the rooster, three literate and musical mice read title cards aloud for younger audience members, and best of all, Babe, a Hoy piglet, learns the job of the brilliant herding dogs Rex and Fly, to win the annual sheep herding competition. Clever animation, well done animatronic creature-doubles, and a menagerie of superbly trained farm animals makes the story of the little pig who could be more than just bacon for breakfast a film for the entire family. A simple story that underscores that hard work and tolerance for those different from oneself is to be respected in the kingdom of all animals, Babe certainly brings to the screen through comedy and drama, lessons all ages can understand.

As Babe grows bigger through the great job of fattening up by Mrs. Hoggit, he makes friends with a sheep who conveys much wisdom about the rules of farm life where Rex is the dominant working dog, and the sheep are considered ignorant. However, Farmer Hoggit and Babe share a special relationship that confounds his wife, the sheep dogs, and the sheep. Hoggit trains Babe how to herd sheep and he's a mighty smart and fast learner, ultimately changing the rules that dominated the pecking order of the barnyard - "because that's the way it's always been" with good manners and friendship.

James Cromwell as Farmer Arthur Hoggit gives an understated and superb performance as the patient farmer who is willing to give a young pig a chance. This is one of the most delightful family films which is perfect for seasonal get-togethers or just because its a nice change to see a film devoid of car chases, explosions, and four letter words, yet adult in its message as well. Every library should have its own copy of little Babe, a Pig of Destiny.

Adorable Movie

Author: Jessica Carvalho from Brazil
10 November 2005

Babe is one of the cutest movies already made! It's the story of a little pig, who starts living in the farm of the farmer Arthur Hoggettt and Esme Hoggett.There,he meets many new animals,like the Sheepdogs Fly and Rex,their puppies,Maa the Ewe and Ferdinand the duck,among other animals.Winning the respect of his new owner Arthur,Babe needs to prove that he is more than an ordinary pig, who was born to be human's food: he enters the competition for the sheepdogs and wins of all the pedigree-winning animals. His trick is to be polite with the other animals, different from the sheepdogs, that only achieve their tasks being rude to the ewes. Babe is a cute movie, not only for kids,but also for adults. It has a powerful message about being polite and helping others and also to never let anyone put you down, saying that you were not capable to do something.

A beautiful film teaching the importance of cultural tolerance and support..

Author: jnoleez from United States
14 January 2007

This is a great film. It should have been awarded the Oscar over the film that won that year. At a time in the world when the importance of understanding and practicing cultural tolerance was needed desperately, Babe came along and gave the world a brilliant guide. Although it is billed as a children's film, and the message is portrayed via farm animals who can talk, people of all ages should be able to connect with, and appreciate the coming together of different cultures to achieve a common good. In fact, the message is even more poignant and penetrating due to the obvious differences between a duck and a rooster, and a pig and a man. And when natural antagonists unite, the power of the film's message is overwhelming.

This little piggy went to the Oscars.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
27 August 2008

My Take: The CITIZEN KANE of talking animal movies.

For many years, BABE has been on the same line as THE WIZARD OF OZ and E.T., as a classic family film. It even made a runaway success in the box-office, charming audiences around the world in theaters back at 1995. It even made quite an impression in the Oscars being nominated even for Best Picture and 6 other Oscars (winning one for Best Special Effects, winning it fair-and-square from APOLLO 13). So with all the buzz that's still going on with BABE, is it really that great! For most parts, BABE still lives up to its title, "The little film that could".

While it ain't quite as perfect as the films I've mentioned above, BABE still deserves its place as a classic family film choice. It's painted with creative storyline, interesting characters and simply delightful moments of joy, fear, sadness and sweet triumph. Sure, it's only an "Animals-can-talk" movie, but this is the smartest one to date, and still is. Before being bogged down into terribly mediocre films like RACING STRIPES, talking animal movies can actually potentially achieving as this one. The characters, both human and animals, are given a surprising depth. In the animals, of course, there's Babe (voiced by Christine Cavanaugh), a curious and benevolent piglet with a lot of kindness in his heart, yet must go through depression and sadness a the same. His life leaves little less value to humans, who doesn't see him more than just another feast for the Holiday season. That is, except for the compassionate farmer Arthur Hoggett (James Cromwell), the most valuable human character in the movie, who sees his talents as a pig who actually knows how to herd sheep (by talking to them respectively, no less).

BABE maybe a straightforward children's film, but it no doubt still has power to charm any adult audience out there, thanks to its adult script, thankfully co-written by George "MAD MAX" Miller adapted from a novel by Dick King-Smith, and an especially endearing performance by the underrated James Cromwell as the farmer. The special effects too are worth mentioning, as they are a convincing alternation between animatronic creations and real, trained animals. But BABE will be best remembered, not as a technical marvel, but a clever and imaginative story. "That'll do." says the farmer. Enough said.

Rating: ***** out of 5.

Babe is a joy to watch

Author: kathleen_p from United States
29 February 2008

I bought this movie for my girls when they were quite young and always enjoy watching it with them. I think it has a wonderful message of optimism and acceptance. Visually it is beautiful and the soundtrack contains some fabulous music. Quite charming for everyone to watch. My girls are teens now and still enjoy watching it, although not on a daily basis like when they were 5. The animal trainers really had their hands full with this one and should be proud of their accomplishments. The personalities of all the animal actors made you forget that you are watching animals perform. This is a story that could be done (and probably has been under some other title) with all humans of various races and cultures and still have the same effect of teaching tolerance of those that are different and giving everyone a chance to succeed.

Che Bella!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: CazzoAzurro (Sleestack) from Hell (New York, New York)
12 November 1999

Along with "The Usual Suspects", "Braveheart", and the "Spanish Prisoner", this is the cream of the crop of 90's movies. I think that the late Joseph Campbell would agree that Babe's struggle to overcome the label pasted upon him by society, his fight to claim his own identity was no less magnificent than Luke Skywalker's struggle in Star Wars. There has never been a hero whose story better embodies the "Monomyth" better than this little pig.

Ah

Author: BuffaloWilder from United States
27 April 2008

- I remember first seeing this when I was younger - eight or nine, around there, and it hasn't been until recently that I've revisited it. Up till' then, the most I could remember of the film were scant snippets from that moment when the young niece is screaming about her Christmas present.

I'd watched the sequel "Babe: Pig in the City," over and over again, many a time, and I don't think I'm really alone in believing it to be the superior film, but, that being said, this film is great in it's own right - Noonan "directed" this about as much as Steven Spielberg directed "A.I."; this is very much George Miller's film, from the trademark cinematography, to the screenplay (although, admittedly based on a book published a decade prior, he manages to imbue his own style into it).

Everyone, from James Cromwell to Mrs. Szubenski, does a great job here, but the standout performance has to be Hugo Weaving as "Rex," the sheepdog - apart from his voice which, even as a man myself, gives me the shivers, his vocal performance is nuanced, and just my favorite out of the entire cast.

The one annoying thing about this film - and really, this brings down "Pig in the City" a peg too, because they both fall victim - are the 'Chapter Mice.' Oh, how I loathe them. But, that's just me.

Miller is one of those directors that I don't think is ever going to really get his due recognition. Frequently, I see his films on best of lists - This and The Road Warrior are a favorite, and Happy Feet is up for a spot on AFI's top fifty animated films of all time - but rarely do I ever see his name mentioned. It's an odd paradox, because he's by and large a better filmmaker than Lucas and Weir (both filmmakers whom I respect immensely - Weir in particular for "Fearless,"). Alternatively, I could just say 'give it a few decades,' as has been the case with quite a few directors.

Well, enough of my ranting. See this film.

even family films can be well done

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
2 November 2006

"Babe" seems like the sort of movie that could come out mind-numbingly sappy. But they did a very good job with it. Portraying a pig becoming a sheep herder, one gets a look into the world as seen by farm animals. Probably the most perceptive aspect was the part about why sheep think that all dogs are wolves. As someone who usually takes no stock in movies like this, I definitely recommend this movie. And above all, this movie showed what a great actor James Cromwell is. Also featuring the voice of Hugo Weaving (of "The Matrix" and "V for Vendetta" fame). Check it out.

Bah-ram everyone!

fantastic

Author: ross robinson from england
3 July 2004

I absolutely love babe, i think it's a wonderful, a fantastic children's movie to watch with the whole family, the movie is about a pig that is separated from it's mother, brothers and sisters. The pig is won by a farmer who says at the carnival that he doesn't keep pigs, the farmer gets a phone call saying that he is the pig winner. The pig is brought home to the farm, a dog and it's pups find that there is someone new, the pig cries for it's mother and the dog comforts the pig. The pig is brought up by the mother (Fly) and is trined to become a sheep pig (Which really is known as sheepdog, but instead a pig is trained to do the same job as what a dog does) At the end of the movie the judges give babe an excellent score 10 out of 10 for doing the job of leading the sheep back to the fence box. I give Babe 10 out of 10 because it's a wonderful movie.

Page 2 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]