IMDb > Assassins (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Assassins

Assassins More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Definitely worth checking out!!!

Author: Jack Carter from Canada
21 April 2006

This movie is action packed and definitely worth watching for any fan of action movies. I'm surprised at the low rating it's has so far on IMDb.

Two of my favorite actors are in the movie, Sylvester Stalone and Antonio Banderas. I just found out the movie is written by the same people who did the Matrix and I can see how that is so. Any movie with Banderas is usually good, and this is no exception. :)

If anyone likes sniper movies like Enemy at the Gates or Leon the Professional, this is definitely a movie worth checking out. You won't regret it.

Thrilling movie.

Author: Craig Porter from Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
15 September 1998

Sylvester Stallone and Antonio Banderas star in this great action-thriller. Sylvester Stallone plays Robert Rath, who is supposed to kill this guy at a funeral, but someone beats him to it. He tracks the man and has a nice little talk with him. The other man is another assassin, Miguel Bain (Antonio Banderas). Rath (who is the best assassin there is) gets another assignment worth two million dollars. Eliminate buyers and return girl and disk and he can retire. Bain wants to beat Rath and complete the task first. What follows is a battle between the two assassins. Sylvester Stallone looks sleepy, at one time they show a close-up of his eyes and Julianne Moore's eyes. You can see the difference so easily. Banderas is alive, which is good. The best performance is probably from Julianne Moore who is the girl they have to get the disk from. Special effects are good, as is the ending climax. Overall, it is thrilling, with a fair amount of action and violence.

What was written before the Matrix

Author: illeatyourdog from United States
21 December 2003

When I firast watched this film,I enjoyed it thoroughly. Ironically enough in the advent of John Woo (his american popularity and his imitators) as well as Micheal Bay, Tony Scott, and Jerry Brukhiemer, it is rephreshing to see an action movie, a shoot-out action movie, where the emphasis is on efficiency and control rather than chaos. Unlike the John Woo pilosophy of keeping the guns firing non stop even if they hit nothing, Assassins works on the exact opposite theory of every shot has a purpose and a meaning and no shot is taken wildly even to distract (add on to the fact that in most John Woo movies, and especially Michael Bay movies, the guns are super loud, whereas in Assassins, pretty much every shot thats fired is silenced). I beleive there is only one instance in the film where shots are fired wildly wnd wrecklessly, and that is during the apartment scene where Antonio Banderas' character. Micheal Bein, shoots blindly through a wall at Slyvester Stallone's character, Robert Rath. Other than that, there is not really anytype of panic fire or wild bullet spraying (in fact I dont beleive this film even features automatic rifles of any kind). Strangely enough, this allows for events that move extremly quick: example, the first scene featuring the three title characters in the hotel. We see Antonio Banderas, in the blink of an eye alomst, take out 3 guards, walkinto the room they were guarding and then take out the 4 targets in that room in the same amount of time. In a way, it is very similar to the old Samurai films since their action scenes moved in a similar manner with nothingn then all of a sudden a few quick sword strikes and the conflict is over. That being said, this movie would require a certain type of taste in action movies or is a type of movie you have to be "in the mood" to watch.

sidenote: When I first watched this film, I had no idea it featured the would be superstar Antonio Banderas, nor that it was written by the soon to be Matrix creators. In that sense it is almost a fun movie to watch because it kinda answers the question "what did they do before they were famous?" and now you know.

Definately underrated...

Author: Banky-4 from Minnesota
10 June 2000

Assassins is definately one of the better written action films I've seen, but then again, it was written by the Wachowski Brothers, who also wrote (and directed) the equally well done Matrix.

This film was directed By Richard Donner, who also directed Lethal Weapon 1-4 and Superman, among other films. I felt the characters were all well presented and the story was told well.

Apparently, Brian Hegleand rewrote parts of the script, but I can't imagine what, since the whole script seems so Wachowski. Huh...

not bad

Author: CamaroLuvNgal84 from Georgia
16 February 2003

I thought this was a great action flick. I'm really into this genre of movies. I don't particularly like Sylvester Stallone but he was pretty good in this movie. Julianne Moore was good but I think she would've been better if her role was bigger. But I think Antonio Banderas stole the show. He was so good as the psychopathic assassin. I loved the chase scenes. Especially the scene in the taxi. Miguel Bain's (Banderas) evilness just oozed out of him as this scene played. Robert Rath (Stallone) wanted to kill Bain so bad during this scene. I loved the explosions. I just had a thought though. Whenever Rath blew Bain out of the window and then it showed Bain in the bathtub, shouldn't he have had more wounds than it showed? I don't know. Maybe it was just me. Anyways. This movie had violence but not as much as most movies in this genre does. I thought it had just enough. The ending was pretty good. It seemed like Bain just would not die. An invincible villain! How many times have you seen that in these kinds of movies? Well, I don't have much more to say about this film except I really enjoyed it and thanks for reading my review! Bye!

Terrific Action-Thriller

Author: Christopher Borg from Malta, Europe
13 July 1999

A great movie.

Sylvester Stallone and Antonio Banderas did a terrific job on the screen as they play the role of two killers.

Stallone is Robert Rath, best killer around, the Number 1. Banderas is Miguel Bain, the one who wants to become the new Number 1, but if he wants to do so, he has to eliminate Rath.

They meet at a funeral, where Rath's mark is killed by Bain before he does so. From then on, it's battle between the two.

The movie is quite similar to "The Specialist"(1994) - another Sylvester Stallone movie - only that there he had no Banderas to fight against!

A couple of words on the cast. Well, I already said that Stallone and Banderas did well but my compliments go to Julianne Moore. She was brilliant.

Vote : 80/100.

Characters Not Consistent But Lots Of Action

Author: CitizenCaine from Las Vegas, Nevada
30 August 2003

Sylvester Stallone, Antonio Banderas, and Julianne Moore star in this action movie: a battle of hit men. Stallone has had so many bad roles before, but this is one of the better roles I've seen him in. He would follow it five years later with a similar role in Get Carter. However, a real hit-man would not have hesitated to waste a woman. Antonio Banderas seemed out of character as an assassin. He was way over the top with emotional outbursts and impatience. These seem highly uncharacteristic of a successful assassin on his way up. Julianne Moore's character changed from a calm, cool bad girl into a helpless, bumbling female after meeting Stallone. How convenient! Many Of Richard Donner's other films have similar problems. However, there is enough enjoyable action, development and tension to enjoy the movie, as long as you suspend a lot of belief ...a lot of belief. *** of 4 stars.

A No-Brained-But-Fun Ride

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
10 February 2007

In order to really enjoy this movie, you have to put your brain in a freezer for 133 minutes and just refrain from trying analyze anything in here. There are more holes in this story than swiss cheese, as the cliché somewhat goes.

Having said that, however, I did enjoy the action scenes and the by-play between the two assassins - "Robert Rath" (Sylvester Stallone) and "Miguel Bain" (Antonio Banderas) - enough to make it a fun ride. I might even have rated it another star higher had a few things weren't confusing and left unanswered, or Banderas spoke clearer English. Still, it's not bad and for fans of "Sly" and action films, worth a look.

Aren't assassinations thrilling?

Author: Carly (XvPanteraX@aol.com) from Chicago
7 February 2002

Ok fellahs and dames, I saw this movie for the first time...yesterday...6 years this movie has been out and I saw it yesterday, pathetic I know, but I was definately not disappointed. Not only does this movie possess comedy, but it's thrilling. I was on the edge of my seat in some of the scenes. I honestly didn't know who to cheer for between Miguel (Antonio Banderas) and Robert (Sylvester Stallone). I enjoy them both and both their characters were hitmen. Even though Robert was trying to go through a change, he was still a hitman, end of story. Now Miguel he was a little more cut-throat. In this story Robert is starting to grow a soft spot and only kills the person he was hired to kill...leaving innocents out of it. While Miguel was ready to shoot a 7-year old soccer player to get what he wanted. Banderas plays this part well. I dunno if any of you caught this but when Banderas is handling a gun he does alot of the same things in movie. Scenes from the movie "Desperado" started to flash in my head when I saw Banderas and Stallone duking it out at the cemetary. Robert is then hired to hit a mark, which is a woman who is only known by a pair of cat eyes, to retrieve a disc, and also kill the buyers. Miguel is also hired for the same job causing a little game between the 2 hitmen. Ofcourse Robert can't come around to killing Electra (Julianne Moore), so he instead protects her and later teams up with her for some more delightfully planned out "fun". I really enjoyed this movie because I am the crime loving type. I also loved it because of the connection between Electra and Robert. A definate must see if you enjoy movies such as this. If you don't prefer them then go watch, "Aladdin".

Watch two assassins in action for the price of one...

Author: Say Keng LEE from Singapore
12 August 2006

If you have watched 'The Mechanic', you will certainly see a parallel between that movie & this movie. Both are fast-paced action movies about two assassins in conflict with each other.

'The Mechanic' starred Charles Bronson in the lead role of a veteran contract hit-man, Arthur Bishop. He took on a cocky but ambitious young man, Steve McKenna, played by Jan-Michael Vincent, to be his protégé. The latter turned the table on the master.

In this movie, 'Assassins', Sylvester Stallone played the lead role of a veteran contract hit-man, Robert Bath, who apparently was number one in the business. A cocky, but ambitious young hit-man, Miguel Bain, played by Antonio Banderas, came into the scene with the fatalistic idea of becoming the number one.

Intertwined in their personal conflict of hierarchy, appeared a woman computer hacker, Electra, played by Julianne Moore, as well as a mysterious employer, Nikolai Taslinkov, who seemingly was connected to all the three key characters in the movie.

For the rest of the movie, it was an exciting cat & mouse game between Bath & Bain, with Electra eventually teaming up with Bath to elude from & deal with Bain. The action sequences throughout the movie, especially the shoot-out inside a hotel in the first half & the shoot-out in an abandoned building (in Mexico) towards the end, were really good.

It was quite fun to watch Antonio Banderas playing the hot-headed, crazy guy. He was really good, as good as Sylvester Stallone, who, as typical & in most of his movies of this genre (Nighthawks, Cobra, Judge Dredd, Demolition Man...), played the cool, confident character...maybe, a little stiff in some way. Julianne Moore, a very accomplished British actress, unfortunately had an understated role, although she did her best.

On the whole, 'Assassins' has been an entertaining - never a dull moment - action movie to watch...especially when you can watch two assassins for the price of one!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]