IMDb > Annie: A Royal Adventure! (1995) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Annie: A Royal Adventure! (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Average

Author: Natalie Simard from Canada
11 June 2007

The main actress is no Aileen Quinn, but she gets the job done in an average sort of way. It's not a musical, but there is a reprise of "Tomorrow" though I don't think it's sung by the actors themselves. I'd say the actress who played Molly and Joan Collins were the best actors in the entire thing. The story is a basic kid adventure story with surprisingly little predictability. The good news is that it's hardly ever slow so almost anyone can sit through it. If you're a die-hard original Annie fan, however, you'll probably be disappointed with the entire thing. It doesn't feel "Annie. An example of the movie: "He showed me how to change an unimportant element so that the substance can no longer be used for evil purposes."

Not Bad

Author: rahero from Hong Kong
24 March 2002

As a TV movie, Annie 2 is funny and the actors did great jobs. Ashley Johnson look very cute. Sorry to see Joan Collins gets much older than her Dynasty days....I thought she knew the way to eternal youth. But she is still elegant and in good shape at the age of 60's.

Mixed Feelings

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
30 April 2009

The Aileen Quinn version was one of my favourite movies when I was 10, and still is to some extent. The remake with Kathy Bates was very good, but just lacked the charm of the original. Now this TV movie, is good, but it isn't great. In fact, I have mixed feelings for this-I liked some bits, and disliked others. The acting was a mixed bag. Ashley Johnson gives a spirited performance as Annie, however if you compare her to Aileen Quinn and Alicia Morton she may be too old, and I think because of that, she lacked the innocence that both girls gave to their performances. I liked the actresses of Hannah and Molly(Camilla Belle is adorable), but not Carol Cleveland as Miss Hannigan. You don't see her very much, and compared to Carol Burnett and Kathy Bates, she isn't the Miss Hannigan we grow to love, with the love of gin, and control, and I felt both were absent here. George Hearn doesn't do too bad a job as Daddy Warbucks, and Joan Collins, looking as fabulous as she did in the 50s-60s, has a ball playing an otherwise pantomime character. I didn't care very much of the supporting characters though. The main flaw with the film was the plot. It was fast moving but it was also predictable and a little too silly at times, especially the scenes with Murphy and Rupert. I wasn't crazy about the music either. And the script is weak a vast majority of the time. In conclusion, an acceptable movie. Is it the worst movie ever? No far from it! That dishonour goes to Home Alone 4, which made me vomit when I saw what they did to two comedic near-masterpieces, and an adequate second sequel. 5/10, but that doesn't mean I hate it at all. I've just seen better. Bethany Cox

Are You Kidding?

Author: dramaqueen00469 from United States
12 June 2007

Unfortunately there was not a 0 for a rating or else I would've chosen it. This movie lacks the star power that the original movie had in such abundance. Carol Burnett, Albert Finney, Tim Curry, Bernadette Peters, Edward Hermann, the innocence of newcomer Aileen Quinn, and expert directing from seasoned pro John Huston (father of actress Angelica Huston)is what made this film so charming. Even the 1999 remake with Kathy Bates, Victor Garber, Alan Cumming, and Kristin Chenoweth had more to offer than this sorry excuse for a sequel. Before she did this movie all Ashley Johnson was known for was her role as little Chrissie Seaver on the prime time show Growing Pains. She had a few bit parts in movies but I don't know who thought she had talent enough to carry a movie on her own. And adding Joan Collins as Lady Edwina Hogbottom, ridiculous! They couldn't get good enough actors to play the major roles like Daddy Warbucks, Miss Hannigan, and Annie but they will sign Joan Collins to play some British lady? It doesn't surprise me that this movie was as bad as it was. The critics were right to have not agreed with this movie, even if it was only made for TV, it was a poor sequel to an otherwise lovable movie.

This is actually a Famous Five adventure.

Author: morrison-dylan-fan from United Kingdom
26 December 2006

I read IMDb comments before I saw the movie,and was rather put off it by them. I have to agree that Annie herself looks like a refugee from 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane',but wonder if many viewers are missing the point about what this film really is? Consider: from 1942 on,British author Enid Blyton released a set of children's novels about 'The Famous Five'.In them,four children-the fifth member of the team is a dog-do things such as preventing Uncle Quentin's professor guest from being kidnapped along with his formula.Uncle Quentin is a sort of father figure,and looks after a girl 'George',actually Georgina,who's a tomboy.George and her friends live in a 1940s-50s world,even in most recent adaptations,and are constantly being menaced by heavies a escaping via secret passages in ruined castles.What is this,if not the basis of 'Annie: a Right Royal Adventure'? Viewed as such,it's a lot of fun.though I can see how it would disappoint 'Annie' fans. For more info on the Famous Five TV series,films,and musical check out IMDb.The musical is an adaptation of Mystery Moor',the thirteenth book of the series.

Not very good

Author: hppg
30 September 2004

This sequel/spin-off to "Annie" shows the main character, orphan Annie, and friends (including little orphan Molly) go to London where of course they get caught up in an adventure. Die-hard Annie fans will probably either hate or love this. People will love the fact that all their favourite characters are back (even if they look slightly different) but might hate the fact that the characters are all changed and in a dodgy story.

The storyline, although fairly engaging, is weak and many parts do not seem to follow on well from the original story. The acting is okay, especially from the children (they were more enthusiastic than the adults I guess!).

Overall though, you will most likely not enjoy this movie unless you are a little girl and enjoyed the original.

A disappointing "sequel" to the original

Author: Mike-DD from Singapore
25 August 2000

This version is a sad and disappointing return of Annie the orphan-no-more. Silly plot and sub-plots, combined with an under-par acting by most of the actors, and woeful characterization makes this Annie film a real let-down. The antics that Annie get into are downright silly at times, and comic timing is absent at times. The bad guys in this case are so inept that they might as well turn themselves in instead of trying to escape. At least the crooks in the original Annie had much more brains and intellect than most common criminals.

Wait till it comes to free-to-air unless you are really an Annie-fan.

A Great movie!

Author: beckyfan
23 October 2001

This movie was great! Ashley Johnson is wonderful and so is the rest of the cast! I LOVED it! It was heartwarming and adventureous!

I'd watch it again and again!

Great movie!

Annie 2: A Royal CRINGE

Author: Kelly Russell
10 August 2014

I remember watching this movie when I was young, and 7 years later I question why. In all honesty, I have never come across a sequel so bad. The storyline was terrible, and the cast were too cringing to listen to after a while. My favourite character was Sandy, that was how challenging I found it to watch the movie. Yes, the cast members were talented actors, but they just weren't right for this movie. The first Annie movie was extraordinary, incredible, and breath-taking. But 'Annie 2: A Royal Adventure'? I have no words. I appreciate the effort everyone must have gone through to make his movie, but It all seemed too predictable, and the actors were so patronising and enthusiastic that it was cringing to watch. Throughout the movie things didn't seem to make any sense. At an instant you were curious why Annie got a job doing paper-rounds yet she was adopted by the 'Richest man in the World'. In summary, don't watch this movie unless you want to waste 90 minutes of your life. Although, it would have been hard to make a sequel of one the best musicals of all time, but I just couldn't bear to watch any more.

Not again

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
17 July 2013

Christ. A sequel to one of the most cloying films of all time, this at least has the decency to leave out the songs (bar a reprise of the unbearable "Tomorrow") but unfortunately continues the tradition of being nauseating and unfunny. This time, Annie and her friends head off to London and get caught up in Joan Collins's plot to blow up Buckingham Palace or some such nonsense.

The movie has a bizarrely sycophantic attitude towards its eponymous character at odds with how irritating she is: every time she squeals "Leapin' lizards!" I could feel my teeth grinding themselves into powder. Drearily photographed, slushy and plodding, the only things the movie has to recommend it are one memorable line – "Unhand me, you stupid genius!" – and the fact that it's not the original.