IMDb > The American President (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The American President

The American President More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 22: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Really lovely romance...

Author: Flutter from York, England
15 January 2000

As a romance film buff, I would have to put 'The American President' in my top three favourites. It is just a lovely film, underrated in cinemas and not pounded on video release. It's quiet, realistic (the personalities, not the situation) and it has the twist of the presidency in order to give it a bit of extra bite. It is sensitively written, encompasses a large supporting cast with out isolating the main story. It comments not only on romance but the state of politics and society, whilst remaining easy to watch and follow. All in all its a great film, even if it hasn't got the big A list hitters starring in it.

Best date movie!

Author: Aleona from LA, California
18 December 1999

If you are looking for light humor and funny dialogue this movie is definitely for you. With beautiful actors, the plot isn't anything deep or Oscar winning, but it is sweet and good to see in order to be cheered up.

Although this movie lacks some depth, it is brilliantly played out and just that is worth seeing. Of course, my favorite part of the whole movie were sharp exchanges between the President and his girl friend. Not to mention, this movie is very patriotic in the best sense of the word.

Whether you are looking for romance, a laugh or anything else, this maybe a movie for you.

Predictable ending.

Author: Angeneer from Athens, Greece
7 November 1999

The flow of the story is nothing unexpected, so one has to focus at the other virtues of the movie. I have to say it is the best Michael Douglas performance I have seen (and oh I really dislike M.D.!) and the little technical details about the White House insiders are taken good care of. Although the movie ends in an ethical way, (i.e. the Pres is pro gun-control and pro pollution-control), this is a good thing to do for the President of the superpower, but this is a bad thing to do for a movie. Too predictable.

A jewel of a film.

Author: FrogFear from Salt Lake City, USA
12 October 1999

This is one for the budding DVD collection! Few are the romantic comedies out on the shelves that don't provoke the gag reflex, and political ANYTHING has a tendency to poison all art forms it touches. AP dodges these bullets effortlessly and still maintains its poise for the entire duration of the story. Douglas, Dreyfuss, Bening, Fox and Sheen pull together some great character dynamics, Sorkin knows just where to put a joke and just where to jerk a tear, and Reiner's direction is gorgeous. My only regret was the "Wisconsin" scene cut from the script that gave an extra human touch to the delicate issue of differing beliefs within a family. Truth flash to the extremists out there: we don't all have to agree all the time!

Rent this. Rent this now, and get a set of dumbbells while you're at it, because when it's over you're gonna want Annette's biceps!

An excellent movie and a must see.

Author: Joey-54 from British Columbia, Canada
20 September 1999

I think this is a terrific movie. Being a Canadian, I must admit I was hesitant to see it, because I had heard that there was a lot of American politics in it. However, I found it to have just the right combination of politics, comedy and romance. Michael Douglas plays a great president, and Annette Bening does a great job of portraying an ordinary woman who falls in love with the President. Michael J. Fox and Martin Sheen play excellent roles also. The comedy was great, and the movie touched on some really relevant issues (gun control, environmental concerns, and international conflicts) which a real President would have to deal with. All in all, excellently done. This movie is a must see.

I never get tired of this movie!

Author: Lori Daniel ( from Norman, OK
9 September 1999

The American President is a classic story of a guy trying to get a girl. But there is one twist; one of them happens to be the President of the United States. This wonderfully written script is like no others in my book. I think the characters are superb. I own this movie and watch it at least twice a week, and never get tired of it. There's just something about the whole idea that is just grabs me every time.

A must-see movie!

Author: Shannon from So*Cal
13 July 1999

I saw this in my government class and I thought it was a sweet love story, quite similar to the relationship between President Woodrow Wilson and rich widow Edith Bolling Galt.

Michael Douglas and Annette Bening are excellent in Rob Reiner's funny, yet romantic film.

Girls like that. So do guys.

Author: Kat-113 from Toronto, Canada
12 July 1999

The American President is really an amazing piece of art. It is a romantic comedy that hits the spot for all us hopeless romantics out there. Michael Douglas is charming and Annette Bening is stunning. The movie speaks of many issues with wisdom and beauty. A star studded cast works wonders for the film and makes the movie, in a way, regal. I loved it and so will everyone else!

Great movie!

Author: Rob ( from Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
12 July 1999

This movie is my favourite. I have about 600 movies at home but I see this movie at least once in a month. Annette Bening is, according to my, the best movie player in the world. But also the play of Michael Douglas, Martin Sheen and Michael J. Fox is wonderful.

Funny and touching look behind the scenes at the White House

Author: DonNunn from Mill Creek, WA USA
24 June 1999

One of my favorite movies of the last few years. Michael Douglas and Annette Bening shine in the lead roles, and the supporting actors (Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, David Paymer and the others) are outstanding.