IMDb > The American President (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The American President

The American President More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 22: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Aaron Sorkin strikes again

Author: Ben Speare (prezben) from Brisbane, Australia
7 November 2001

Having recently been engrossed by the sheer beauty that is The West Wing it came as no shock to me when I realised Aaron Sorkin wrote/directed The American President. Both are very similar, both are great and if you ever want to watch a movie about life then you can't go past this one.

Perceptive and powerful cocktail of romance and politics

Author: Geofbob from London, England
5 August 2001

This is an enjoyable, romantic comedy-drama, with some quickfire dialogue reminiscent of classic Hollywood screwball comedies; but with a real political sting in its tail (as in the more recent The Contender.) Though the foreground romantic plot is typically unbelievable, the White House background is realistic; and at least one of the two political issues raised - environmental protection and gun control - is still highly topical. (What wouldn't the environment lobby give for this movie's President in office today!?) One of the mottoes of the film is "politics is perception", and director Bob Reiner demonstrated his perceptiveness by making this movie, in which the President's personal life becomes an issue, before Monica Lewinski even became an intern.

Michael Douglas as the widowed Democratic President, Andrew Shepherd, gives a star performance that's as powerfully commanding when he's being Presidential, as it's charming and romantic in the love scenes with a radiant Annette Bening as his lobbyist girlfriend. In support, Martin Sheen puts on the hat of Chief of Staff before being promoted to President in The West Wing; Michael J Fox tries out in serious mode the role of political aide he later developed more comically in Spin City; and for once Richard Dreyfuss, as Shepherd's Republican rival, is more unctuous than irascible.

Great for a romantic day.

Author: Oswald from Amsterdam, Nethelands
9 July 2001

This is one of my favorite genres; a romantic comedy. Both Michael Douglas and Annette Bening are great in this very romantic movie. I immediately fell in love with the character of Miss Wade, who starts out so confident but is swept away by the president. They made a lovely and believable couple and enjoyed watching every part of it. But there's more that just romance and comedy. It also shows the dark side of "public opinion", which results in a great speech by the president. This gave the movie a little bit extra and made it more that just a fun romantic comedy.

A beautiful history of love !

Author: lionel.willoquet (lionel.willoquet@wanadoo.fr) from Nevers, France
20 June 2001

The history of love enters a president of the United States widower and a lawyer in the service of the environmentalist cause. Rob Reiner makes us share the intimacy of the tenant of the White House in this carefully packed romantic comedy, the humor of which protects us from any preciousness.

American President: the romantic comedy that never fails to entertain

Author: rose from ohio
18 June 2001

The combination of Rob Reiner's excellent direction and this all-star cast makes for a movie that is highly entertaining, touching, and serious. Michael Douglas shines as the president of the United States, Andrew Shepherd. His charisma and his manner make him the "ideal" presidential candidate, and his acting is perfection, specifically around his daughter Lucy (played by innocent Shawna Waldron) and political analyst Sydney Ellen Wade (Annette Bening at her best). Bening breathes life and spark into her character; her romantic and anger-filled scenes with Douglas are a delight to watch. Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, and David Paymer (as the president's top aides) provide both comedy and conflict to the film, and even the smaller characters such as Mrs. Chappill and Lucy are interesting and perfectly cast. I own the movie, and it brightens my day whenever I watch it, no matter what kind of mood I'm in. Even after countless (and I mean countless;just ask my family and friends!) viewings, it never fails to make me laugh and cry.

An American gem from Rob Reiner.

Author: jlacerra from Philadelphia, PA
16 June 2001

Douglas is the suitably regal head of an excellent ensemble cast. Sheen shines as his top aide, while Fox scores as the conscience of the cabinet.

A warm and funny comedy emerges from the most unlikely place: The White House! Adults will be rapt with this pressured romance, while kids may even learn something about politics and government.

A must see.

Aaron Sorkin warms my heart once again!

Author: Pegapus from Massachusetts
8 April 2001

Aaron Sorkin has the heart of a lion, and the soul of a liberal. Watching this movie again today, I recall that the eight years of Bill Clinton's presidency were mostly uplifting ones--filled with a lot of progress on all fronts. The movie does touch upon some of the more salacious points which were brought up, but in all fairness, these points are those of the president's personal life, and NOT those brilliant and shrewd policies which marked his presidency more frequently.

People who don't like this movie are missing that point--that the President of the United States has the right to his personal life, whether good or bad, and that it's his public image which is the only one that anyone should be examining in any depth.

Too much today, everyone in this country is getting a more intrusive look at their personal life. Too many people are getting their "15 minutes" of fame and much more, and privacy flies out the window. Should we really know how many men that an actress has slept with or how many women an actor has managed to marry and ditch? Or any combination thereof? Do we have the RIGHT to pry into ANYONE else's private life? Isn't that why it's called a PRIVATE life?

Shouldn't the President of the United States also have some semblance of a personal life, without his laundry being shown to the whole world? This movie brings to bear all the reasons this country is filled with so much hatred, so much anger, and so much fear. It is because we are too angry to help our fellow men and women, it is because we are too afraid of them because of their color, their religion, their thoughts, their belief systems, and their ideas.

In order to make this nation number one again, we need to stop burying our heads in the sand, stop trying to convert others to our ways of thinking, and merely REACH OUT with an open hand, and stop invading their privacy. It's when people learn to respect others, without making any kind of judgements about their deeds and actions, that we will once again be the best place on earth to live.

And this film brings all of those points to the light, in ways some people never will be able to.

President scores hot babe in Oval Office

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
3 March 2001

Excellent film depicting a single president and his aides efforts to keep his popularity high while juggling a couple of high profile bills and an affair with a liberal lobbyist. The producers didn't bother to hide the blatant anti-gun rhetoric which was a constant theme running throughout the entire showing. Pure propaganda that should be popular with those who think guns kill people.

A fun flick

Author: grahamsj3 from United States
7 February 2001

This is decidedly what most folks would call a "Chick Flick". However, every man I have talked with who has seen it also liked it. The cast is really great and they "jelled". I particularly liked Michael J. Fox's performance. Michael Douglas seems very natural as the President, the sign of a great actor (and excellent casting). He plays a widower who begins to date a woman (Annette Bening) while he is the President. The story has a lot of humor as the press grabs the story and all of a sudden, the "romance" becomes front-page news. The story moves along nicely and has no trouble keeping your interest. It's such a fun film that I was sorry to see it end. Look for a good performance from Richard Dreyfuss as Senator Bob Rumsen.

schmalz, but good schmalz

Author: nateg from Seattle, WA
4 November 2000

Plenty of 'big movie' style in this film, but the message is sweet and the balance between the majesty of being President and being a person struggling with love and conviction is winning, if superficial. A great chic flick, too. (Sorry, but it is.)