IMDb > The American President (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The American President

The American President More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 21: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Great film but Michael J. Fox miscast

Author: Captain Ken from Chicago. USA
8 April 2002

A great film that looks at the politics of America and where does the public life and private life of a President cross. What ruined the film for me was Michael J. Fox. I could not see him as a top aide to the President... A teen ager in that job....He is too young to play that role. The way he talked to Congressmen on the phone would have cost hin his job. A more mature actor should have played the role .Send Fox Back to the Future

no thanks

Author: rpzowie (rpzowie@yahoo.com) from USA
7 April 2002

I turned this film off about an hour or so into it. Not that it was a bad film, but becuase, to me, it's nothing more than a two-hour Democratic Party infomercial. It's not enough for Aaron Sorkin to tell a story, there has to be a liberal agenda to be pushed along with it. If you're a liberal person and you liked this film, I'm happy for you. For me, I say, no thanks.

A wonderful, entertaining film.

Author: James Lally (Lally-1) from Odense, Denmark
25 March 2002

This film is well written, very well acted and leaves the viewer feeling warm and content. Michael Douglas has done a superb job of acting the man inside the President, revealing that the President is just a human being. Annette Bening is totally convincing in the role of Sydney Ellen Wade. Both Actors compliment each other perfectly. The supporting actors too have done a grand job of supporting, even though they are stars in their own right.

If you have not seen this film, you have a treat in store.

An excellent view

Author: AylesVStor from Kent, England
17 February 2002

This is an enjoyable, and well acted film. Michael Douglas, Annette Bening & Martin Sheen are excellent. How accurately it portrays the White House I'm not sure, but I found it interesting and completely captivating. The story line is fun, and the actors make it believable. Michael J Fox plays Lewis and underplays him, which makes it work very well. Martin Sheen is particularly good and it is easy to see why he was cast as the President in "West Wing", which was apparently spawned by "American President". To sum up, "American President" is romantic, funny and great fun. I recommend it.

A feel good romantic comedy, a little cheesy, but well done.

Author: maccaveili from United States
8 February 2002

This was a feel good romantic comedy, starring Michael Douglass and Annette Bening as the two romantics. Douglass is the President of the United States, while Bening is the hard nosed, workaholic, successful Sydney Ellen Wade, who at first was sent to meet with the President to gain his backing behind an environmental bill. However, it wouldn't be much of a romantic comedy if they didn't fall in love with each other, which is exactly what happens. What, the President having an affair? No, he is a widowed father to a daughter who amazingly supports her dad and even helps him court Sydney as he becomes closer to her. What a good kid, not realistic, but a nice thought.

The thing that makes this worth watching is first of all the quality of acting. This movie may not knock you off your feet or change the way you watch movies, but it does a really good job of keeping your attention. Douglass plays a President who just wants Sydney to see him as Andy, not Mr. President, all while Sydney is under pressure from the firm that originally hired her to change the President's views on the environment for getting involved personally with him. Not to mention the fact that the media is all over their relationship. After they find out that Sydney stayed the night at the White House, the President's impeccable approval rating during an upcoming election year suddenly begins to plummet.

Anyways, without giving any more of the movie away, let me just say that I gave it a 9 simply because the acting was so good in it. It's great to see a movie that doesn't have any special effects, but leans upon good acting to sell the characters. Don't get me wrong, this isn't the Shawshank Redemption or Goodwill Hunting, but it is still worth your time, especially if you're tired of movies that don't make sense and rely soley on big explosions and special effects to sell themselves.

I Don't Think Michael Douglas Has Ever Been Better

Author: Chadderbox041277 from Dallas, Texas
5 January 2002

This is one of those movies that makes you glad they make 'em like they use to. Michael Douglas leads the cast as President Andrew Shepherd. What I like most about this particular presidential performance is that it seems so real. He seems like an Average Joe who just happens to be President of the United States. I don't think Michael Douglas has ever been better. Then there is Annette Bening. This is also one of her best performances. She gives Sidney Ellen Wade flare, charisma and above all, a human touch. The two leads play off each other very well and really make you like them. Yes there are numerous political situations throughout. What did you expect? It's a story about the president. The story is a little far-fetched but who cares. It gives you an opportunity to see the role of the president from a different side. Great movie!

Aaron Sorkin strikes again

Author: Ben Speare (prezben) from Brisbane, Australia
7 November 2001

Having recently been engrossed by the sheer beauty that is The West Wing it came as no shock to me when I realised Aaron Sorkin wrote/directed The American President. Both are very similar, both are great and if you ever want to watch a movie about life then you can't go past this one.

Perceptive and powerful cocktail of romance and politics

Author: Geofbob from London, England
5 August 2001

This is an enjoyable, romantic comedy-drama, with some quickfire dialogue reminiscent of classic Hollywood screwball comedies; but with a real political sting in its tail (as in the more recent The Contender.) Though the foreground romantic plot is typically unbelievable, the White House background is realistic; and at least one of the two political issues raised - environmental protection and gun control - is still highly topical. (What wouldn't the environment lobby give for this movie's President in office today!?) One of the mottoes of the film is "politics is perception", and director Bob Reiner demonstrated his perceptiveness by making this movie, in which the President's personal life becomes an issue, before Monica Lewinski even became an intern.

Michael Douglas as the widowed Democratic President, Andrew Shepherd, gives a star performance that's as powerfully commanding when he's being Presidential, as it's charming and romantic in the love scenes with a radiant Annette Bening as his lobbyist girlfriend. In support, Martin Sheen puts on the hat of Chief of Staff before being promoted to President in The West Wing; Michael J Fox tries out in serious mode the role of political aide he later developed more comically in Spin City; and for once Richard Dreyfuss, as Shepherd's Republican rival, is more unctuous than irascible.

Great for a romantic day.

Author: Oswald from Amsterdam, Nethelands
9 July 2001

This is one of my favorite genres; a romantic comedy. Both Michael Douglas and Annette Bening are great in this very romantic movie. I immediately fell in love with the character of Miss Wade, who starts out so confident but is swept away by the president. They made a lovely and believable couple and enjoyed watching every part of it. But there's more that just romance and comedy. It also shows the dark side of "public opinion", which results in a great speech by the president. This gave the movie a little bit extra and made it more that just a fun romantic comedy.

A beautiful history of love !

Author: lionel.willoquet (lionel.willoquet@wanadoo.fr) from Nevers, France
20 June 2001

The history of love enters a president of the United States widower and a lawyer in the service of the environmentalist cause. Rob Reiner makes us share the intimacy of the tenant of the White House in this carefully packed romantic comedy, the humor of which protects us from any preciousness.