IMDb > The American President (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The American President

The American President More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 21: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

My faviorite unbelievable love story.

Author: frankie_time from United States
1 September 2006

If you are hopelessly romantic, you MUST see this movie. Excellent performances from Michael Douglas, Annette Benning, Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox and many others.

If you were a West Wing fan, you will be amazed how many things were plucked from this movie and dropped into The West Wing.

Pre-maritial sex, occurring after a brief "courtship" make it unfit for viewing by teenagers - unless this is something you approve of as a parent and would like emulated. I was willing to overlook it, because I enjoy the love story so much.

Maybe being widowed at a young age, like the President, makes the movie closer to my heart.

I highly recommend this movie.

American President to West Wing - Aaron Sorkin all the way!

Author: bllrmdncr from United States
2 July 2006

This was just on TV in my area, and I was listening to the words rather than watching. This movie seems to me to be an early version of West Wing! You have Martin Sheen, and whenever he was on the screen it was so *odd* for him to be AJ and not President Jed Bartlett. Then Joshua Malina as a lobbyist, who took the place of Rob Lowe on West Wing, and Anne Deaverre Smith as press secretary, not wearing a uniform of a higher up Army? Navy? official as Nancy McNally. And then, while Pres. Shepherd was talking to AJ he said he studied "under a Nobel prize winning economist"... Which is Jed Bartlett's background! If you love West wing, you'll like this movie.

My Name is Sheppard and I AM THE PRESIDENT

Author: Skills-President from United States
19 March 2006

This Movie is one of the best movies i HAVE seen. Douglas is Great " We have serious problem and we need serious people to solve them"... J. Fox is great in this film as well. Along with Michael Sheen. I highly recommend this film to anyone who like politics movies. I love these types of movies ones that have a good plot and background The director who made this movie should do a sequel to it like for the elections and the 2nd terms and him and Syd getting married. I am thinking that a sequel to this film with all the original people would be very cool to see. I also like Jaine who was the personal aide to the president, she did a very good job in this movie, it a lot of work to be a personal aide to the president i would assume.

burning cloth

Author: TitusYorick from United States
12 February 2006

The American President is one of the best political/economical movies I've seen, alongside Wall Street and Syriana. It's got it's funny moments, true, but I feel that the movie is more of a drama than a comedy. I'm just saying that because I found my copy of the movie in the Comedy section at Best Buy. It also expresses a good message - the symbol of a country can't just a flag. I like that comment because a flag is just a decorated piece of cloth, and no matter how much symbolism we put into it, it's still just a decorated piece of cloth that can become engulfed in flame should a Zippo or match be the catalyst. Show me more people like that on the news and I'll feel better about living in a country that calls itself the "Land of the Free."

Ten Best

Author: MuthafknEddy from United States
5 February 2006

This is without a doubt, one of the 10 best movies I have ever seen. Like most of you, my extensive knowledge in movies makes picking favorites difficult. But, it's the type of movie that makes you smile while you watch. The interaction between Annette Benning and Michael Douglas is amazing. The feelings they go through are the reason why I love love. Watch it every Valentine's Day, it works...The phone conversation when Annette Benning makes the "nice ass" remark...The Virginia Ham being delivered...The initial confrontation in the Oval Office. There are times during this movie, when Michael Douglas has his little "shining moments" where you just get goosebumps. Particularly during his argument with Michael J. Fox regarding the leadership (or lack thereof), and of course, the climactic speech...You say you want free speech?

Actually, a very good movie

Author: robertodeleonus from Puerto Rico
28 November 2005

I first saw this one on a movie screen, way before it hit the video market. In my opinion, this is an honest portrayal of some of the trials and tribulations a President of the United States can expect to go thru. That the exact same circumstances have not arisen recently is due to our unique media structure, but the plot is believable, as are the performances by every actor and actress I remember seeing in it (remember, Douglas was nominated for the Oscar as Best Actor for his work in this picture). Not for nothing was this an inspiration for the long-running TV series, "The West Wing". For me, it works on several levels: as a lesson in politics, editing and romance. This is one of ours - my wife and I - favorites.

Charming, fantastic, heartwarming, sweet, and funny political romance

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
24 November 2005

In my opinion, this is a charming, romantic, fantastic, heartwarming, sweet, and funny political romance. Everyone involved did an outstanding job, the costume and set design were nice, the direction was superior, and the movie was perfectly cast. When I saw that Michael J. Fox and Martin Sheen were in this, I was surprised. I just wish their roles had been bigger, though. Also, I thought that Andrew (Michael Douglas) and Sydney (Annette Bening) looked nice in their evening attire. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say, "Michael Douglas and Annette Bening have scored big!" Now, in conclusion, if you are a fan of Michael Douglas or Annette Bening, I recommend this movie. You're in for a real treat and lots of laughs, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it. You'll be glad you did.

Politics and sex - what else is new?

Author: PWNYCNY from United States
2 November 2005

The story is ridiculous, the acting, especially Annette Benning's, is poor, Michael J. Fox playing a character with the name Rothschild is a bad case of miscasting, and the portrayal of a President having an affair with a lobbyist causes me to wince. Yet I like this movie. You ask why, and I'll tell you. Because of Michael Douglas. This was a Michael Douglas movie. He actually gives a great performance as a President whose presidency is in a real crisis because of his indecisiveness and desire to do what is expedient at the expense of what is right. This President is so befuddled that he even has an affair with a lobbyist, which in the real world would be political suicide and be the subject for a slew of investigations and possibly indictments. But allowing for literary license, the movie avoids these political unpleasantries and concentrates instead on the relationship between the President and the lobbyist, with the latter using sex to manipulate the President and thereby achieve her political goals. That such shenanigans go on in this movie reduces this movie to the level of a distorted love story; that such shenanigans also go on in real life gives cause for serious concern.

A love and political story that is effective in both areas

Author: PersianPlaya408 from Milpitas, California
8 August 2005

Rob Reiner's film worked for me, i thought the story was great, great writing by West Wing's Aaron Sorkin. Story involves a democratic president running for re-election and having a relationship with a woman (his wife has died). People can argue film is biased, but so what, most are, least they picked the right side. The film is well-directed by Reiner, interesting throughout, and the script is great, serious when it has to be and funny at times as well, a very touching film in general. The performances were great for the most part, Douglas, Bening, Sheen, and Michael J. Fox were all great in their roles. best performance of film is probably between Martin Sheen and Michael J. Fox who both represent different sides of the presidents cabinet, sheen being the conservative old man and Michael J. Fox the young liberal. Dreyfuss is also good as the man running for re-election against the president. In general this is a very entertaining film, good to see a film about politics and love, that doesn't mess it up. 9/10

Cuddler

Author: Carrie_the_Oracle from Pasadena, CA
21 January 2005

I have never liked Michael Douglas, but Annette Bening and Michael Fox make the film worthwhile. A great political bedroom comedy. Get some hot chocolate, popcorn and snuggle down. It's a good chick's movie, date movie, cheer-me-up movie. Also good after a bad day at the office.

The story of a widower President and an upcoming election. The opposition here is played with cackling premonition by Richard Dreyfus, who could easily play the current VP to a T. Nina Siemasko is a perfect sister for Annette's Sidney Wade.

Nothing is left out, even the perfect, precocious daughter; but there's a light touch for a story that has to wrap in only two hours. Even Amber Frey had longer than that.

Carrie