IMDb > Alien Terminator (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Alien Terminator More at IMDbPro »

Alien rip-off #5671

Author: capkronos (capkronos00@hotmail.com) from Ohio, USA
21 May 2003

It's hard to believe that Ridley Scott's ALIEN was made nearly twenty years ago, and we're still feeling its impact with inferior rip-offs, about half of which come from executive producer Roger Corman and cronies.

Here six scientists (including an annoying, coke-snorting nonconformist) are trapped in a military silo "five miles" underground where their experiments with DNA have turned a harmless mouse into a giant, lurking killing machine. All the clichés are accounted for, including a cheap-o dinner table stomach burster scene, characters who wander endlessly through dark corridors, ridiculous dialogue and the token topless scene (provided by Cassandra Leigh/Lisa Boyle).

On the plus side, the sets and FX are passable, it's short and moves fairly quickly and Maria Ford, as a tomboy in a half shirt, makes a fine Grade-Z sub for Sigourney Weaver.

Another average one!

The whole Production Meeting: "Hey! Let's do 'Alien' meets 'The Andromeda Strain'!" "Great Idea! - you got $5 - I wanna see a rough cut by Tuesday"

Author: junk-monkey (liam@merriol.freeserve.co.uk) from Highlands of Scotland
5 May 2005

After 2 minutes into this movie I realised it was another of the endless Alien rip-offs and a unimaginative one at that.

After 3 minutes I wanted all these horrible people to die - horribly.

After 4 minutes I hit the FF button on my remote and held it there (only slowing for the, sadly brief, moments of gratuitous nudity).

Don't bother watching this film. It's a saddening bore, you've seen it ten times or more.

I have now watched both films made in 1996 called "Alien Species" (do I get a prize?) neither of them are worth watching but if I was forced to choose between the two I guess I would have to pick this one - if only for Lisa Boyle naked in the shower.

Alien Species Predator Terminator

Author: Dr. Gore (drgore@hotmail.com) from Los Angeles, California
5 September 2005

*SPOILER ALERT* *SPOILER ALERT*

"Alien Terminator" is another alien running amok in a lab movie. It comes from a long line of shameless "Alien" rip-offs. Notice how the two words in the title try to get you to remember two superior action flicks and hopefully plant seeds of hope in your brain that this movie can be just as good. "Hey, I've seen "Alien" and "Terminator" and I liked those movies. Why, I'm sure to like this one twice as much!" It's yet another cleverly devious way for B-movie filmmakers to rope you into seeing their cheap knock-off.

Cheap is certainly the word to describe "Alien Terminator". Four guys and two babes, (Lisa Boyle and Maria Ford), are in a lab underground. The mad scientist starts experimenting on a mouse and turns him into an Alien Terminator. The rest of the movie has the cast running away from the beast through many dark hallways.

"Alien Terminator" is a movie I have seen at least a dozen times before. It's a classic B-movie setup. You keep the cast in one location; there are lots of scenes of them walking down hallways looking scared, the monster pops his head in every 10-15 minutes to make sure you're still awake, etc. But it's all pretty dull and uneventful. The monster scenes are quick and hard to make out. There's no payoff scene since they couldn't afford to shoot a convincing monster attack or any bloody death scenes. Overall, "Alien Terminator" is not worth watching. However, praise must be given to Lisa Boyle who manages to save the viewing experience from complete destruction by going topless twice. The first time she's having sex with her boyfriend and the second time she's taking a shower. These scenes were great. The rest was average.

A "So bad it's laughably good movie" - not for the Faint of Taste

Author: gamleman from United States
17 June 2008

The title and video cover would suggest a rip-roaring film about a powerful, sleek fighting machine that is a combo alien/terminator robot who is menacing the generic blonde version of Jabba-esquire Princess Leia in "Return of the Jedi." Um. Not really. Not even close.

However, there are gems hidden inside. Diabolically bad dialogue ("Looks like his baby had a temper tantrum...on his face!" A "hero" who's a complete chicken-sh*t with horrible Fabio Junior hair and a certain je ne sais quoi when it comes to wooing the opposite sex.

Did I mention the other "hero" who has a mullet and wears overalls for the duration of the film, with but one strap buckled while the other dangles limply? All for the sake of haute couture.

It doesn't reach the depths or sheer entertainment value of "When Eagles Strike," "R.O.T.O.R." or "Hollywood Cop," but it certainly aspires to those same levels of meaningless action and pointless dialogue.

Not too much to like unfortunately

Author: Jack from Minnesota, USA
17 November 2006

This is about some people who, for the past two years, have been living in some sort of laboratory 5 miles underground. They're involved in an experiment to study the effects of isolation on human beings. One of the members, unbeknownst to the others, is conducting experiments into altering DNA to produce the ultimate killing machine. It's kind of hard to believe that 6 people could live together in a very small environment for 2 years without anyone knowing what this guy was up to, but there you have it. This mad scientist is also a crystal meth addict, and he's generally annoying and unlikable. Unfortunately, the rest of the characters aren't much better. There is one nice girl named Rachel, and she's engaged to the only other halfway descent character. There's also an obnoxious girl, a guy with long hair who looks like he should be playing guitar in a country and western act, and some fat guy named Coach.

So, mad scientist creates monster which gets loose, everybody gets picked off one by one, and in a scene straight out of the movie Leviathan, the evil corporation that's running the whole thing decides it would be easier to announce that they all died down there than to let them live and explain their illegal DNA experiments.

The worst part of the movie is the sets and photography. The underground lab is so small and dark that we never get the feeling these people are moving from one location to another in their attempts to escape the monster. The camera is always zooming around at weird angles and basically annoying the crap out of the viewer, which doesn't help either. Also, you just don't care for the majority of these people. The monster attacks are photographed in such a way that you can't tell what's going on, so the excitement level is kept low. And there are just so many stupid things happening that it's impossible to take anything seriously. For instance, everyone must take a five mile elevator ride to get from the lab to the surface, but in the last half of the movie they seem to forget about this and the lab is all of a sudden right next to the hatch on the surface. At one point a girl takes a propane torch and quickly runs the flame around the edges of a ventilation hatch - I'm guessing we were supposed to think she welded it shut? Yeah, right. We're really that stupid. There's also a bunch of nonsense with a countdown until the life support system is turned off, at which point I guess everyone instantly dies? Or maybe the whole facility blows up? This countdown is announced by a computer that sounds like it should be working in the phone sex industry. Using a word processor creates a voice like a slow motion version of the computer from War Games. The dialogue is also dumb, the best example being when the first guy gets killed and instead of immediately abandoning the facility, they decide they owe it to the company to finish out the last two hours down there.

Overall, crummy sets, bothersome camera work, characters that for the most part are either annoying or else you don't care if they live or die, and a bunch of stupidity. I'm normally a huge fan of these low budget Alien ripoff movies, but I'm afraid I have to recommend skipping this one. There just isn't anything to redeem it.

Unless one is a Maria Ford fan, it's not worth watching more than once.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
8 October 2016

Patently predictable and lame sci-fi / horror thriller, the umpteenth variation on the familiar "Alien" story. (But hey, at least they're up front about what they're ripping off.) A sextet of scientists work deep underground (five miles beneath the earth, to be exact), not knowing the full extent of what their work entails. It seems that the twisted, eccentric genius in their midst, Newton (Kevin Alber), is doing - you guessed it - cutting edge genetic experimentation, from which he hopes to profit big time.

"Alien Terminator" is a yawn-inducing example of the "same old, same old" when it comes to this kind of genre storytelling. The filmmaking isn't so incompetent, or cheap, that it makes one laugh, unfortunately. It's just boring. Everything about is is just barely adequate, without the redeeming nature of unintended chuckles. It's too hard to care about this tale, or about its characters. The actors aren't unlikable, but their characters are just inane. The incredibly sexy Maria Ford offers some fun playing a tough talking, Ellen Ripley style action babe. The most endearing guy is the doctor, ironically named "Coach" (Bob McFarland), who disappears from the story too soon. Alber is very annoying playing the greedy oddball with the hidden agenda. And yes, folks, since this is a production of Roger Cormans' New Concorde company, you can expect a dose of sex and partial nudity.

It's hard to imagine even die hard aficionados of this variety of entertainment being quite enthused by this one.

Five out of 10.

Cheesy, campy and low budget galore...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
26 September 2013

This is low budget Sci-Fi, no doubt about it. You see it right from the very beginning. And as you strap yourself in for a low budget movie, I will say that "Alien Terminator" does deliver. And by that I mean that the movie delivers everything that a low budget Sci-Fi movie is supposed to.

And truth be told, the reason why us movie lovers buy this is obviously because of Maria Ford. Yep, that's right, that is also why I purchased this movie. I enjoyed her performance in "The Unnamable Returns" and have only watched 2 or 3 other movies of hers since then, so I have started to buy her movies from Amazon.

The story in "Alien Terminator" is initially either a blatant copy of "Alien" or a tribute to that very same movie. Which is the case, I am not sure. The story is about a group of people trapped underground as part of a two year long scientific study about people psychology while in isolation. A vile non-human creature comes into being and starts using the humans as hosts, leeching off of them to grow bigger and more deadly.

Even the way that the creature was living inside the human host and burst out of the body once having drained a human body entirely, was also similar to "Alien". Actually, there was a lot of similarities between the two movies all throughout the entire movie.

The creature itself was hilarious. It looked so fake and odd, and it was really hard to take it seriously.

As for the acting, well, I will just say that this is a low budget Sci-Fi movie, and you get what you pay for here. Hint, hint...

"Alien Terminator" is the type of movie that you watch once, then put it away, most likely to never watch it ever again.

alien for the kiddies

Author: trashgang from Midian
2 February 2010

First of all, when you type alien species here at IMDb, the link you get is wrong! The cover used at Alien Species is the one that should be used here. Anyway, what I just watched you really can't believe it exists! it really is a rip off of Alien but in an extreme low budget way. If you watch the decors used it will tell you everything. The first 5 minutes you will learn to know the characters. That's good, 4 guys, 2 lasses. by seeing the two birds you will immediately know which one will show her tits. And yes, a bit further in the movie she shows them. More into the movie she shows them again in a gratuitous way, nothing to do with the storyline. And let me tell you, that was the best part of this turkey. When the alien burst out of the, euh, back of his victim, you just see it crawl on the floor. When it is a full creature well remember the black lagoon, that kind of monster, you know what I mean. This is the kind of horror you let your kids watch. See it to believe it.

In space, no one can hear you say "hang on, a minute…"

Author: Paul-b-1 from United Kingdom
6 February 2008

This movie was another of my delves into the bargain bin, and I have a couple of issues with it.

Firstly, the title, Alien Species.

This sort of infers that the titular creature is of extra-terrestrial origin, but according to the story what is in fact created is a genetically modified virus which infects and takes over its host, transforming it into some kind of mutant. Hardly, ET…

Secondly, I am staggered that nobody got sued as this movie is a painfully close rip off of the classic sci-fi film, Alien. OK, little bits have been changed – the scientists are in an underground lab (not a spaceship), but much of the plot has just been lifted and transplanted. Its all there – the pushy female (Ripley type) character, the chest bursting scene (although the creature looks more like a turd on a string than a virus-born mutant, and actually comes out of the guys back), the hunt around badly lit corridors, the attempt to shut the creature in a specific sector using airlock-type doors, the telltale sign of alien exudate being left everywhere, the heartless corporation sacrificing its employees for the sake of a potential money spinning bioweapon, the scientific guy with a hidden agenda… even the hunt for a troublesome cat.

After escaping the breakfast table carnage the suspended face evolves off camera into a man in an unconvincing rubber monster suit. The film makers must have realised how bad he looks, and so shots of the monster are brief and partial – sadly, not brief or partial enough.

Fortunately for nudity fans out there one of the female scientists seems to enjoy going topless whenever the plot allows, and the site of her large, perfectly formed (and probably silicone-enhanced) breasts adds a bit of "interest" to the proceedings. This isn't so much a sexist opinion, more a comment on a movie that is so dire that brief female semi nudity is needed to keep half of the audience awake.

The ending is weak enough to qualify for some kind of disability grant – I know that the life support systems were shutting down, which would ultimately lead to the expiry of the remaining cast, but why did the base explode? I don't recall anything about self - destruction being a built-in feature...

In all, it was OK for the £1 I paid for it...

A Cheap Version of Alien

Author: FilmFanInTheHouse from Berkshire, England
27 August 2007

Alien Terminator (1996, Dir. Dave Payne)

A small group of scientists are working in self-imposed isolation below the Earth's surface. They are all working to create DNA which could change the world, but one of the scientists have been given an secret assignment, and when the assignment goes wrong, all hell breaks lose. The new creation is now aboard the ship and will destroy anyone who gets in its way, as it moves towards the surface.

They always say to never judge a book by the cover, and this can often be said towards a film, but when you look at the cover of 'Alien Terminator' (Alien Species in the UK), it is definitely a cover you should follow. What it found in this movie, is a complete rip-off of Alien and Species (oh, i wonder where they thought up the UK title). They even borrow one of Alien's most famous scenes, with the only different being the alien coming out his back. The effects are OK, but there isn't really any effects found in this film. They are all very minimum. The acting is appalling though, with some amazingly bad writing. How many adults films are there when most 'bad' language includes words like crap and scum. I recommend you avoid this and go and watch any of the Alien films, even AVP: Alien vs. Predator is an improvement over this.

"You piece of scum." - Dean Taylor (Rodger Halston)