IMDb > Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

oh my god, you gotta read what I found this movie to be...

Author: SiTH_MaSTeR from United States
5 March 2006

I don't normally respond to these kinds of things, but after reading some of the negative responses I couldn't help myself. There is a movie out there for everyone, something everyone NEEDs to laugh at and who can relate to. This movie is the opidemy of my humor and the extreme way it portrays the upper crust world of stuffy, snobby, self absorbed unrealistic people who think the world revolves around their view and opinions is classic and makes me laugh in a way that is honest for me.

I read that some people were offended by it and want to get others to share their view. All I gotta say is, "If you didn't like the first one, why did you go to see the second one? Just to complain?" Do all of us "Friends" of Jim Carey a favor, if you don't like his humor, just go find some stuffy anal retentive "fluff" film, and write reviews on them that we will never read since those movies are for stuck-up self absorbed types. Sorry I just didn't think it fair that these people are "Flameing" this as if there are no other possibilities.

Thanx for reading.

It's Just Plain Funny

Author: Ben Hunt (rexodus) from Danville, IL
22 August 2001

Is it dumb? Well, it's definitely low-brow, but it also has some gags that are undeniably clever. Is it racist? Yeah, a little, but it's also satirizing old stereotypes about "Dark Africa." Is it immature and and gross and sophomoric and over-the-top? Yes. Yes, it is.

But someone (well, me) once said the only thing comedies have to be is funny. And this movie is dang funny. Need I remind anybody of the scene where Ace insists on dropping a slinky down the hundreds of steps leading up to a Buddhist temple? ("It was RIGHT there!") Or the slideshow in which Ace's hand appears to greedily devour a poacher's crotch? That's just hilarious!

The great thing about this movie is that it doesn't settle for outlandish set-ups that only seem to be jokes. This movie gets full bang for its comedic buck. Do we have a fight with a crocodile presented in-and-of-itself as humor? No! In a lesser film, perhaps. But Ace Ventura goes the extra mile, bringing us childish schoolyard taunts ("Stop hittin' yourself! Stop hittin yourself!") And is it enough to have Ace chasing the villain through the jungle in a monster truck? No - he actually pulls up next to him and utters a bon mot worthy of Groucho. Also, where did that monster truck come

from?! The sheer resolve not to explain the truck's presence is a sublimely satirical dig at movies that might place monster trucks in the jungle just for cheap, lazy wackiness.

This movie is anything but lazy. Jim Carrey, like no actor before him, pulls out all the stops as Ace Ventura. Is he milking things? Oh sure. He's milking things like Paganini milked the violin, or like Michelangelo milked the Sistine Chapel. He's inventing a manic persona so complete and fully realized, that it transcends standard comedy and achieves something mystical and poetic and truthful. And that's how it keeps from being annoying.

This film is too casually dismissed because it looks like a terrible movie. I was hesitant to watch it. But maybe, years and years from now, it will achieve the kind of subversive cult-film status it deserves.

Funny as hell

Author: alexwinters46 from United States
23 June 2005

This movie was directed and written by Steve Oedekerk. Tom Shadyac is not attached to this movie for some reason. But, Steve Oedekerk did a pretty good Job. The movie begins with a spoof from "Cliffhanger" where Ace fails to save a Raccoon. Ace retires from being a "Pet Detective" until Fulton Greenwall (Ian McNeice) offers him a large amount of money to find a missing sacred Bat. The plot of this movie is not as good as the original. But it's funnier! And a lot of fun. I remember watching this 10 years ago at the theater when it first came out. Frankly, I think there should be one more movie before Ace retires. Jim Carrey is a comedic genius. And he is pure talent. Not even Jerry Lewis can compare to the talent of Jim Carrey.

Great sequel!

Author: LebowskiT1000 from Escondido, California, USA
26 February 2002

Despite most views of this movie, I thought it was just as good as (and in some aspects better than) the original. Of course there was a lot of recycled humor, but there was also a lot of original humor too. I was a little bummed to find out that Courteney Cox wasn't returning in the second installment, but they did just fine without her. I doubt it will happen, but I would love to see an Ace Ventura 3 someday.

I thought the scene where Ace is trapped inside the animatronic rhino was the funniest scene in the movie, but the film is filled with other great scenes too. I also loved the fact that he is a lover of all animals, except Bats. I thought that was such a funny idea for the character. I mean, what does that say about bats if a lover of all animals can't even stand them and finds them revolting. Just thinking about it makes me laugh. I just love the irony I guess. Anyhow, there isn't much more I can say about this film other than if you liked "Pet Detective", you should see "When Nature Calls". "Bumble-Bee Tuna",

-Chris

Ace Ventura is a comic genius bursting to the seams with brilliance...

Author: Cristabel Cornish from Australia
23 May 2006

I loved this movie ever since in come out in 1995 when i was six years old...

I love Jim Carrey am a BIG fan of him...and i think that this was his best performance...he just so funny in this movie...

"It's the mucus that binds us" still cracks me up today... His other famous saying "Ok take care now, by bye then" and "alrightly" are classic lines...

Its best to see the first movie "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective", before you see the second movie so you get the feel of Ace Ventura...the jokes get so much more funnier in the second movie...

Just the way Jim acts as Ace is genius...i recommend everyone see this movie...

Spank you very much....

Author: Mister-6 from United States
2 September 1999

I didn't think the first movie was any great shakes.

Sure, it had Carrey in it, running amok and mugging and mimicking and making every rude sound a kid would learn by eighth grade. But the story just kept getting in the way.

That's why "When Nature Calls", in my opinion, is much funnier.

The story of securing a sacred bat is neither too intrusive nor annoying and leaves room for gags aplenty.

And Carrey.... Well, he enters a slapstick marathon and wins the gold in every event. I swear the man is made of rubber.

Some of the jokes are pretty gross (the spitting ritual, the "guano" references, etc.) but why should that come as any surprise? Most comedies gear for that kind of humor anymore and, more or less sophisticated, reach the same common denominator: body fluids is funny, dude.

Still, without the fluids and functions, there are still great scenes (Ace's entrance in the dining hall, the monks' reaction to his departure, his behavior at the slide show, his driving habits, his escape from a mechanical rhino) and plenty of opportunities to see Hollywood's most uninhibited comedian use every conceivable part of his body to make us laugh.

I laughed. His work is done.

When this "Nature" calls, answer it.

Nine stars. And remember: do not pass go, do not collect $200.

excellent comedy movie!!!

Author: cinezone from Lahore, Pakistan
29 May 2005

One of the best and my favorite comedy movies ever! I have watched it at least 7 times and found it funny each time. All those guys saying this part is not as good as the first one, must be out of their sense of humor! This part lives up to its expectations and i found it even funnier than the first part. You might get bored watching the first part 3 or 4 times but not this part! This is a must see film if you haven't seen it already. I own its DVD and keep it very close to my DVD player all the times...never know when i'd like to watch it again :-) I would give it a well deserving 10 out of 10, it cant get any better than this. I really feel sorry for those who didn't find it funny. Please Don't miss it...watch it today!!! Highly recommended!!!!

Terrific sequel to a terrific comedy

Author: Mika Pykäläaho (bygis80@hotmail.com) from Järvenpää, Finland
8 April 2003

When you hear a really hilarious joke the normal logical reaction would most likely be that you burst into hysterical laughter. Later on when someone tells you the very same joke again something is already different. You don't laugh to it anymore, you just give it a little weary yawn and say: "I've heard that one before". However, there are refreshing exceptions. "Ace Ventura: When nature calls" is one of them because if the joke is good enough and someone can still tell it properly it can be just as funny even though you've heard it once before.

This sequel isn't better than the original but unlike some other IMDb-users I feel that it really isn't much worse either. If you loved "Ace Ventura: Pet detective" I see no sensible reason why you shouldn't love this one as well. Best thing about "Ace Ventura: When nature calls" is the fact that our beloved pet detective has moved right from urban city surroundings deep into the exotic African locations. It would've been a really hard job to figure out perfect settings for the third part of this unholy saga so I'm pretty damn glad they never made it (as far as I understand Carrey refused) because these two flicks are so sensationally good comedies it would have been quite a shame to see how the excellent idea wears out after too much use.

In the mid-90's when Jim Carrey was just becoming a huge superstar I used to consider him just an annoying and overrated jerk. I simply didn't understand him. I guess it isn't always easy to admit that a guy who talks through his arsehole is one of the most talented comedians of our time but in the end it probably tells more about our time than Mr. Carrey. "The Truman show", "Man on the moon" and "The Majestic" has also proofed that Carrey is more than just a gifted comedian, he's a really believable, charming and impressive actor.

Actually I predict that sooner or later when the time is right and he ends up in a right movie he will definitely get his Oscar but it's not coming from something like this that's for sure. Let's face it, if you're not used to Jimmy's humor these movies are not exactly the easiest ones to swallow since the breathtakingly lunatic Ace Ventura is one of the most (if not the most) overdone characters of the whole movie history. But if you give it a try, you may just love it. I can honestly say that I do. This is classic Jim Carrey at his best.

If you didn't find this funny..

Author: arsenic_77 from India
17 June 2008

Well, then god help you. I've known people who are not big fans of Jim Carey's style of comedy and I can see their point. He's just outrageous and rarely witty. But this movie has a bit of everything: clever dialogues, beautiful locations, and of course Jim Carey at his very best.

I find it much funnier than any of his other works. The Mask had too few of the 'mask' scenes, Pet Detective was just about OK, nothing great. This movie though is better because the story flows freely(unlike P.D) and it has a lot of Jim Carey (unlike The Mask). The scene at the monastery is actually brilliantly shot and to have such OTT comedy at what otherwise seems so mystical a location, I've never seen something like that. And lastly, yes it may seem a bit absurd, it's Ace's love for animals that comes out quite well. To have gone to a seclusion for losing a racoon(he was not paid to find anyways) is both hilarious and heart warming.

The rhino scene alone would've made this one of my favorite comedies, but there's so much more on offer.

Jim Carrey Love Him or Hate Him

Author: kikabeth from Wisconsin
2 February 2013

Jim Carrey is one of those actors you will find yourself either adoring or hating. He does not ever "underact." This movie made me laugh so hard I cried (even after the fifth time!) From the robot rhino scene to the monopoly guy Jim knows how to be hilarious. I saw the first one (liked it a lot) and have to say this one is way better! I am a huge fan of Carrey. I don't think there are many people who can make such a variety of facial expressions. The only reason this is not a ten is because there is (as usual with Carrey) some inappropriate stuff thrown in. But if your love laughing and you love Jim, this movie will fit you "Like a glove!"

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]