IMDb > 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
3 Ninjas Knuckle Up

3 Ninjas Knuckle Up More at IMDbPro »

Part Crouching Tiger, Part Surf Ninjas, this rollercoaster ride gets Three Knuckles up!

Author: Meifumado
7 February 2002

One would think that after the previous two adrenaline-soaked installments in this series that the franchise would run out of steam, but instead of moving forward at the breakneck speed one would expect, instead it slows down and looks inward, finding fertile new ground to explore. One such example is when the boys first meet their native american uncle, and are illuminated to the ecological problems in our consumer specific culture. Not since "Fire Down Below", has their plight been so real that you cannot ignore it, and must hold yourself to blame. Another prime example is when Tum Tum runs afoul of the Yakuza, and his brothers steadfast protection of him in the face of danger. A bold, artistic statement, Three Ninjas Knuckle Up gives up the way of punches and kicks, and chooses the love of family over blitzkreig martial arts shenanigans in what is the most refreshing film of the year, and a prime candidate for film preservation. (All things said, I must admit that my review may be a little biased, being that I played "Ninja who gets hit in the crotch #3", so I hope you'll bear with me)

The best of the series its a really good film for kids and adults may enjoy too

Author: Arlis Fuson from United States
5 January 2010

I just watched all three of these movies and I couldn't recommend the first two to anyone really. The first one might be enjoyed by some kids but the second was awful.

This film was shot a year after part one with the same cast and it was held up in post production and a third film was made but the third film made was actually released second. The kids in this film came back two years later and did some re-shoots and additional scenes and the boy who played Rocky actually has braces and is much taller as is the kid playing Colt.

This movie isn't flawless by any means it has a very high cheese level to it, a lot of over acting and silly gags aimed at kids. The movie got a PG-13 rating because it had lots more ninja action and a few somewhat adult language bombs dropped, but nothing a kid couldn't watch. I can't imagine older kids enjoying it, but young kids would eat it up.

As an adult I compared it to a Steven Seagal movie for kids with a touch of old Dukes of Hazard episodes thrown in. It had some great actors doing some not so great roles but it was fun to watch. Donal Logue was funny as one of the bad guys and Charles Napier is great in anything and makes a wonderful bad guy.

The plot here was different and actually had a message which is good. It is a movie about bad guys dumping hazardous materials on an Indian reservation and the kids go in and try to put a stop to it.

Fun film - I think if you like kids movies you should enjoy this one, look over flaws and goofs and cheesiness and just watch it.

The worst thing about this movie was the way the kids yelled A-YAA every time they kicked or hit someone.

A Delightful, kid-classic popcorn flick

Author: alecx5494
6 February 2004

This movie isn't meant to be taken seriously and alot of people make the mistake of taking it seriously. It's just plain fun. I enjoyed it when I was a kid and I still enjoy it now. It's a classic boy movie. It was alot better than the other kids movies that came out that year. These are the kinds of movies I want my kids to see one day because they are entertaining.

The ultimate mini - ninjas ...could this movie have been better?

Author: starlightmoonwalker from Italy
25 October 2006

The plot's structure is half-copied from Bruce Lee's WAY OF THE DRAGON:1)arrival of the heroes in an unknown town; 2)they discover that a bunch of bullies are molesting a group of pacific people; 3)they show their martial arts skills and defeat the bullies more than once; 4)the bad guys send the same thugs back with more decision, and they fail again; 5)the bad guys call the "profesionals", and problems increase ; 6)good guys,filled with more decision, defeat the professionals and save the day.

Of course there are variations, but the structure is similar. The characteristic is funny,since in this way,too-young kids can be introduced to classical martial arts movie plots. One of the first problems is that there is no official "final boss", unlike in the previous "3 ninjas" movies, making audiences feeling like something is missing. O once again, the plot is not original, but that was never meant to be the final goal. And probably, this is what makes the film not completely enjoyable by older audiences.

Despite the plot, however, the fight choreographs are the most amazing in the series, but sometimes they get unnecessarily acrobatic(like the brawl in the Indian village). The fight with the motor bikers resembles, at first, the warehouse fight scene with Bruce lee's Lookalike in GAME OF DEATH, but then it evolves and amazingly becomes something like a copy of the chase from ALTRIMENTI CI ARRABBIAMO(WATCH OUT, WE'RE MAD!)with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer, which is quite enjoyable. Another funny scene is the fight in the abandoned bar, in which Rocky and Tum Tum change their "fighing styles" according to the goofy changes of music coming from a nearby jukebox. Unfortunateley, this scene is too similar to the fight scene from PIU FORTE RAGAZZI(ALL THE WAY BOYS), again with Bud Spencer and Terence Hill. The booby traps prepared by the kids are always a trademark of the series, but once again, the concept is not original.

So almost nothing in this movie is original, but since is a movie meant for kids, it probably could not have been done better. Younger kids would enjoy this movie, but older ones would be bored: they will probably enjoy themselves more watching a traditional martial arts movie starring Jackie Chan. And in the end, this episode was the perfect way to end the series, since the final message concerns most of the main character's personality. However, somebody decided to make another sequel in 1998...

America's Favorite Pint-Sized Ninjitsu Warriors Are Once Again Out to Stop Foul Play!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
9 April 2003

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Rocky, Colt and Tum Tum are off on yet another summer at their grandfather's cabin in the mountains. As they were heading up, they see a group of protesters at a landfill. The protesters were Native Americans protesting Jack Harding for dumping garbage and hazardous chemicals on their land. Jack Harding was a cruel man and ignored the land owner's protests and continued his dumping. His men kidnapped Charlie who had evidence of Harding's illegal dumpings! Later, Rocky, Colt and Tum Tum go to the pizza parlor while Grandpa does some shopping. Charlie's daughter, Jo, was in there questioning some rednecks who work for Harding. The leader, J.J., began giving her a hard time. Colt and Tum Tum come to her rescue and so begins a Ninjitsu action battle. Soon the bad guys give up but when Grandpa finds out what has been going on, he is most displeased. Back at the cabin, he taught them the correct ways of the Ninja which involved listening to the flowers bloom. The next day, the boys help clean up the pizza parlor and meet up with Jo who tells them what happened with her father and they agree to help.

Rocky, Colt and Tum Tum tail J.J. and the men to Harding's sanitation department and find Charlie all tied up. They fight some guards on the way out and make a plan to go back and rescue Charlie that night. So while Grandpa sleeps, Rocky, Colt, Tum Tum and Jo go to rescue Charlie and they are successful. He still has the evidence with him: a computer disk that has the read outs of the chemicals on it. Harding's men tried to stop them, but the boys Ninja-kicked the daylights out of them. At the Indian village, the boys were commended for their efforts. But soon Harding and his men arrived to cause trouble but the boys managed to give them a work out. Grandpa was there too! Harding and J.J. retreated, vowing revenge. Soon came the day of Charlie's hearing. Rocky, Colt and Tum Tum go along. All the while, Colt was feelings for Jo which he tries not to show. En route to the courthouse, a biker gang on Harding's payroll causes trouble. They gas Jo's mother so Rocky takes the wheel but the only driving experience he's is at the video arcade so they drive off road and on but with luck they ditch the bikers into a ghost town and give the martial arts battle of their lives to some bumbling bikers and thugs.

Harding's men had kidnapped Jo and Harding blackmailed Charlie in court so he couldn't show them the disk. Luckily, Rocky, Colt and Tum Tum had rescued Jo. They beat up the bad guys, jump in the car and bounce to the courthouse. They play the disk and Harding's foul play is at an end. The landfill was permanently shut down and Harding was sent to jail so all was well. What's more, Rocky finally learned what it meant to listen to the flowers. They don't want to show off their beauty, they just are beautiful.

Not a bad addition to the 3 Ninjas saga. This is actually Part 2 even though it was released as Part 3. There must be some story behind that because in 3 Ninjas Kick Back the kids look older where as in this movie they're the same ages as in the original. Victor Wong, who sadly is no longer with us, returns as Grandpa; This 3 Ninjas movie has alot more action and violence which is probably why it's rated PG-13. There was a fourth 3 Ninjas movie: 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain. That film was awful!! Terrible! It was so bad I won't even do a review for it. It isn't worthy of one, but 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up was pretty good. I recommend it. If you saw the first two, you should see this one although I liked 3 Ninjas and 3 Ninjas Kick Back better.

3 Ninjas Knuckle Up

Author: Chris from C-World
14 July 2013

Another awesome comeback into the 3 Ninjas series. "3 Ninjas Knuckle Up"

3 Ninjas Knuckle Up was also a classic and really good kids family film. A kick-butt action-comedy-family film. The boys, Michael Treanor, Max Elliott Slade, and Chad Power were so awesome! 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up was funny and full of true Martial Arts. Victor Wong who starred as Grandpa he did great and connected very well with the boys. Sang-OK Shin who directed film. Awesome job! Alex S. Kim thanks for writing such a amazing kick-butt story. 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up rock!

We all remember watching this one too as a kid and watching it via Television whenever it showed. 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up was always a joy to watch because truly it rocks and kicks-butt. There's nothing negative about the film itself. I recommend it for everyone and you should check it out if you haven't today. If you loved the first one you'll love this one 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up will rock your world! these boys are awesome.

Too long

Author: blkcastro from California
16 August 2003

As a kid, I loved Three Ninjas and the second one. I ended up renting this movie, and all I remember is how long this movie was. With a dragging, almost non-existent plot, the movie relied on a barrage of unnecessary fight scenes, and the longest, most pointless chase scene ever. I finally turned off the movie when I watched a scene where Rocky is fighting some thugs. But it wasn't the child actor, it was an adult stunt double crouching to look smaller, doing all these complicated spins and kicks. I wouldn't have minded that scene, if they hadn't done it in SLOW MOTION. Now that's a bit too amateurish for me to handle.

this is sooo great!:)!:)!:)

Author: moviegurlEst4 from Bristol, VA
24 March 2003

well, again, I'm in love with this movie to. It's a little different b/c it has a little more to do with the guys helping people outside of their family. I'm glad that they brought the first two ninjas back, even though I liked the other ones to. it's really neat that even though two of them were not in the second one they still can come back in the third one and, again, make it seem like they had been there all along. I love the relationship that they have with each other as brothers, and that they have with their Grandfather. it shows respect and that they care for each other and have fun with each other. All the characters have wonderful qualities and they bring it all together very well, again I thank God for this movie, I think that a lot of familys will enjoy it as I have growing up with it and all the characters:)

Filthy dirty.

Author: Rob Franch from Surrey
6 September 2012

I sat down of an evening to watch this film with my two children one of whom is 4 and the other is 3, i assumed that this film would be entirley suitable for them to watch, and certainly would contain less offensive scenes than Titanic: The Legend Goes On. That said, i was shocked at the many references to fisting and all male threesomes, as well as many other graphic scenes, i was also offended to see that apparently use of the N word is commonplace in this film, and the prison (NONCE) rape scene was so graphicly portrayed, I suggest that anyone who wants to keep their children in a non comatose state ssould avoid 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up at all costs.

Much love, Rob Franch.

Corny, knuckle-headed fun

Author: yendreck from Ontario, Canada
4 March 2000

I'm a big fan of the 3 Ninjas series, the first one being my favorite. Knuckle Up is definitely the most action packed, the focus hardly on the story and more on flashy, Jackie Chan-like fight scenes. It's pretty unbelievable, how these pre-teen kids beat the snot out of full-grown armed men. In one scene, the bad guys have shotguns and they really hate those kids, but instead of shooting them, they prefer using the guns as clubs and try to whack them, but of course their plan fails.

The ninjas execute a number of impressive martial arts moves on their hapless foes, and even some unnecessary fake-outs just for show. This movie is good for a laugh, watch it if you like slap-stick humor and kids beating up wave after wave of foolish henchmen.