IMDb > "Xena: Warrior Princess" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Xena: Warrior Princess"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Xena: Warrior Princess" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Way More Than You Would Believe

Author: Rochound from Australia
13 January 2001

Here's the thing, see, about XENA - the fantasy action show telling the tale of the formerly evil Xena, now a force for good, and Gabrielle the Amazon Queen, her warrior/bard partner.

You have two really beautiful women dressed in impractical leather goods flitting about the Ancient World wielding shiny weapons with great skill and nary a thought to chronology or historical accuracy. You have the relentless modern American speech. You have the over-discussed, over-analysed and highly subjective element of "lesbian subtext". You have campy humour, sly winks at the audience, over-the-top fight sequences, and more dialogue limited to the screaming of each other's names than the second half of Titanic.

You have re-used extras, recycled sets, a bikini-clad Aphrodite spouting Valley-girl speech, a penchant for killing off popular guest stars, TWO man-free pregnancies, high angst levels, a range of episodes that swing madly from dark violence to Andrew Lloyd-Webber style musicals and from intense drama to slapstick comedy.

You have strong female leads who accept responsibility for their choices and their actions, good and bad. You have really beautiful scenery in the form of New Zealand. You have great chemistry between the two stars, and you have enough smarts to know how to combine all of these things into a show that succeeds more than it fails.

Give it a chance. I promise, ten episodes and you'll be hooked. In short, XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS is smart TV pretending that it's dumb. Which is just fine by me, thanks.

Battle on, Xena!!!

Author: Cathy Young (cathyyoung63@aol.com) from Middletown, NJ
12 October 2003

One of the best TV shows ever.

Xena: Warrior Princess is the thinking person's fantasy/action show. A perfect mix of often dark drama, wacky/campy comedy, action, angst and romance, it was poignant, thrilling, funny, suspenseful, sexy and much more. Set in the fantasy world of a creatively reinvented antiquity, X:WP offers us the ultimate female hero: strong and vulnerable, tough and soft, brave and caring, heroic and deeply flawed, she's all warrior and all woman. We follow Xena's journey on her quest for redemption as well as Gabrielle's growth from a naive peasant girl to a reluctant warrior. And there are other fascinating characters: Ares, the God of War who is determined to lure Xena back to the dark side but is eventually changed by his love for her; Callisto, Xena's victim and nemesis who manages to be sympathetic even at her most evil; Joxer, the bumbling warrior wannabe with the heart of a lion.

Of course the show had its weak moments, especially in the last three seasons. At its best, however, it featured smart writing and creative directing, enhanced by the wonderful acting of Lucy Lawless as Xena, Renee O'Connor as Gabrielle, Kevin Smith as Ares, Ted Raimi as Joxer and Hudson Leick as Callisto. (Alexandra Tydings' Aphrodite, Paris Jefferson's Athena are worthy of mention as well; so are Karl Urban as Julius Caesar and Marton Csokas as Borias, Xena's lover in her days as a warlord.)

I have to comment on one of the reviews which mentioned Xena and Gabrielle being out for revenge against men and complained that the heroines beat up men all the time but never get hit themselves. Hello? Did this person even watch the show? I suspect not. Some of the most prominent villains on the show were women (Callisto, Najara, Alti), and many of Xena and Gabrielle's allies were men. In fact, the episode "The Dirty Half Dozen" explicitly repudiates hostility to men. X:WP's feminism was never anti-male or heavy-handed.

Bottom line? If you haven't seen this show, get the DVDs (or VHS) and give it a try. Start with the premiere, "Sins of the Past." The first half of S1 wasn't all that great (the show had yet to find its footing) but watch "Hooves and Harlots" and "The Reckoning." If you're not hooked yet, try "Ties That Bind," "The Greater Good" and "Callisto." You'll probably want to stay on for S2.

Take some time to watch a Xena episode, you'll be glad you did.

Author: MootziDiner
2 May 2003

Xena was one of televison's greatest shows. Encompassing in it, action, drama, humor, love, relationships, and life lessons. Xena had it all, even had sexy costumes for the 'lower class' viewer. But, this was more than beautiful women running around in 'appealing' costumes. This was a show about the strength of women, the power of friendship, and that even the smallest of us can become something great. Skilled actresses and actors took us all over history bringing the past alive. For many, Xena was an escape from our everyday 'normal' life. The main characters Xena and Gabrielle were easy to identify with. Over the course of six seasons, you see them grow as they learn what their truly made of and what their morals and beliefs are. Ultimately, it was a show about good triumphing over evil, but more than that, it was a show of groundbreaking themes and memorable characters. Take some time to watch a Xena episode, you'll be glad you did.

Awesome! Ay-Yi-Yi-Yi!

Author: Shari (AfricanVenus84@aol.com) from United States
8 March 2003

I loved this show from the first time it came out. The concept of a strong willed woman being able to beat up bad guys and smart was unheard of, until Xena. She seriously had many skills. I loved the direction the show took the two characters, but the final episode was disappointing. I lagged on watching it during the 7th season. It got too weird, but it's still my favorite tv show. Possibly of all time. Lawless gave Xena dignity and balance that was intriguing to see. I loved how they delved into Xena's past and the show wasn't always about kicking butt. It really did something for female heroes on television. This show pioneered that idea since Charlie's Angels on the 70's. However, it was way better. RIP to Kevin Smith as Ares. You'll be missed. Everyone whoever was on the show did a great job and made it worthwhile. Joseph Lo Duca, you're music was awesome. I miss this show alot and I don't have the Oxygen channel, so it sucks. Watch this show!

this show rocks!!!

Author: angie richardson (jawthat@ainop.com) from maine
4 April 1999

I love this show. Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor are fabulous as Xena and Gabrielle. Xena is a former warlord trying to atone for her past by traveling the world doing good. Gabrielle is her sidekick, a bard writing the stories of Xena's adventures. The show is packed (usually) with action, realistically, and breath-takingly, performed by Lawless and O'Connor. And when the show ventures into comedy, it is capable of being the funniest show on television. Did I mention that I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Stop bitching about "historical inaccuracies" & enjoy the show

Author: floacism from United States
3 June 2006

Due to an overwhelming sense of idiocy after reading a few reviews, I felt it necessary to put them on blast a little. One thing to keep in mind though, if you do not find this review helpful, it doesn't bother me either way because now I know you at least read it.

1. X:WP is a fantasy show. 'Fantasy' being the operative word. The show never claimed to be a creditable source regarding history and/or mythology, so please folks, let it go. Now, if they claimed that what was presented in the show was indeed true or credible, than it makes sense to complain. Otherwise, indulge yourself with a textbook, or try the watching the History/Discovery channel.

1.5 What is the definition of Mythology? A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining aspects of the natural world or delineating the psychology, customs, or ideals of society. Or in other words, a fiction or half-truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology. But most importantly - a myth is a FICTITIOUS STORY, PERSON OR THING. Who cares if it is changed or modified? It isn't history...its only a story, so let it be.

If we all repeat exactly the same story as it was originally told, it would be boring, idiotic and downright sophomoric. American culture takes the old and reinvents it while blending it with moral values and ideas that are unique to the American mentality. Its the same process that all stories go through over a thousand years old. If you retell a story a thousand times, it changes, it takes on new characters, names change, motivations change from nation to nation, each culture adapts a story to fit into its mold. But most of all - you do realize that the Hercules story itself is simply a fictional myth to begin with... so essentially, those who complain are arguing that its not write to make up a fictional character into a classic story which is fictional in itself? Its the equivalent to a producer ntroducing a new character into the classic Cinderella story, and make a television series based on that new additional character. Blasphemy, isn't it?

2. Contrary to a few disbelievers, the acting IS good. Very good, in fact. Lucy Lawless (Xena) is by far the best, but there are many others such as Renee O'Connor (Gabrielle), Kevin Smith (Ares), Hudson Leick (Callisto) Ted Raimi (Joxer), Bruce Campell (Autolycus), Marton Csokas (Borias) and Michael Hurst (Ioluas) just to name a few. If you caught a few random episodes from the first season and base the acting solely on that, chances are perhaps the acting WAS a little hokey! But by Season 2 (and undeniably by Seasons 3&4), the portrayal of these characters are amazing.

3. In addition to the two main characters, all the supporting characters are yes, multi-dimensional! The titled character alone is proof of that. Lawless is an extremely capable actress, who is very versatile. While playing various different characters in addition to Xena, she often plays off those characters with her own self. She has shown that she can perform a range of emotions & themes (rage, anger, pain, comedy, etcetera) all equally believably. And no, she fooled ya - she's not American. If you haven't heard her native Kiwi tongue yet, it'll surprise you.

4. Please, don't critique this show if you haven't watched it (and when I say watched it, I mean watching the WHOLE episode). How can you properly criticize something you've never watched thoroughly? And to than be presumptuous and state what the show "is"? Unbeknowest to you, it could be the complete opposite of what you initially 'thought' it was - and to whom who gave it a change after skepticism, it is.

5. The main character of Xena is enough to draw you in. She is like no other, so any attempted comparisons fall short. She's nothing like Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Elektra (or like any other female hero for that matter). She stands alone as far more complex hero - male OR female - and could kick any their tails with a broken leg and a frying pan for a weapon. No, she does not possess any super-powers; unlike most female heroes depicted, she doesn't need any of that to appear 'strong' or intimidating. She's amazing all on her lonesome, and that is what makes her admirable.

6. In addition to the well casted, unique story-lines and episodes, the music is too, a important part of what makes the show enjoyable and memorable. Composed by Joseph LoDuca, the music is exotic, 'tribal' (if you will) unique and full of rhythm. One prime example, that the general public will even recognize too, is theme song. The video montage that goes along with the musical score are perfectly matched, and would alone get me interested in watching.

And with that, nothing more need be said - You cant keep The Warrior Princess dead. :)

Likeable Show About Redemption Mixed With Great Comedy

Author: AP-Project from CT
3 September 2002

This was an amazing show that switched from comedy to high drama to tragedy to sword-fighting action and mayhem. All of this usually happened in the same episode. A great show for students of mythology, although the writers did incorporate their own ideas (into the mythological settings and characters) to give the show more texture and layers. The best part of the show was Xena and Gabrielle's intense affection, friendship and respect for one another. They are truly partners in everything they do and always willing to sacrifice for one another. However, there's plenty of comedy as well to keep the show from getting too serious. The more episodes you watch, the more you'll like and understand the concept of the show, and how it works on different levels simultaneously. Very highly recommended.

Xena: Warrior Princess ( 1995 - 2001 )

Author: lucy_lawless_fan from United Kingdom
19 June 2006

The Hit TV Show Xena: Warrior Princess Was A Spin Off From Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and proved more popular than Hercules! Xena is a 2 star show the beautiful stunning Lucy Lawless plays ass kicking beauty Xena and Renee O' Connor Plays Xena's Best Friend Gabrielle this action adventure fantasy drama series has got it all drama, comedy, musical episodes! The Guest Stars in this show are some of the best here are some of my favourites: Alexandra Tydings Played Aphrodite Goddess of love, Kevin Smith Played Ares God Of War, Hudson Leick Played Callisto, Paris Jefferson Played Athena Goddess Of Wisdom, Timothy Omundson Played Eli,the list is endless Us Xenites ( wot xena fans are called ) love and support this show with all our love and are hoping to see Xena: Warrior Princess The Motion Picture going into production soon with Lucy Lawless as Xena & Renee O' Connor as Gabrielle Xena is best super heroine EVER.......

The finest bit of entertainment since 1975

Author: Taram from New Mexico
14 November 2000

The six years that Xena appeared on American television and then in international distribution was the most marvelous ride on the entertainment merry-go-round since "Wonder Woman" premiered in 1975, twenty years earlier. This show had camp, pathos, mystery, intrigue, intricate character development and the invention of a magnificent new world through which the viewer was able to judge and measure his or her own living situation. If you ever get a chance, at least take the time to watch either the entire first or the entire fourth seasons of Xena (which had the most developed plots). It is a show that actually changed the world into a better place and that can be said of only a few shows in history.

If you like "Xena" you might also like "Queen of Swords", "Wonder Woman", "Supergirl" (maybe....), "Chameleon 1,2, &3", "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" or "Andromeda". You may also want to watch the direct to video cartoon release "Hercules and Xena: the Animated Movie: the Battle for Mount Olympus".

Terrific!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
8 August 2010

I know there may be those who either agree or disagree, but I love this show, ever since I was a kid I loved it. The scenery is excellent, the music is rousing, the dialogue is witty and fresh, the choreography kicks ass and the stories are entertaining with plenty of adventure. And I love Xena herself. She is a strong, spirited heroine, the sort of heroine I like, and I have to say Lucy Lawless is just perfect for the part. Garbrielle is a nice character too, in fact I like all the characters in this show they have a great likability about them and it comes through crystal clear.

Overall, just a terrific, fun show. In fact out of Hercules:The Legendary Journeys, Adventures of Sinbad and Xena:Warrior Princess, Xena is my personal favourite of the three for especially the choreography and its heroine. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]