IMDb > "The Wayans Bros." (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Wayans Bros."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Wayans Bros." More at IMDbPro »

low brow comedy at it's best

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
8 December 2000

This might be low brow comedy, but it's hilarious. The show is very well written, and I completely enjoy every episode. I think the Wayan's brothers have great charisma, and they work perfectly together. It is clear that they have a close relationship, and it goes to make the characters more likeable. Pops, with his ridiculous outfits adds an unusual element to the show...and even more humor. This is a great show with great characters, and great acting. In a word...great. Check it out, reruns air on the WB.

The Wayans Brothers

Author: supergenius808-1
22 August 2014

Between huge hits "In Living Color" and "Scary Movie," Shawn and Marlon Wayans co-created their own sitcom. The premise -- two brothers and roommates in New York, working with their Pops (John Witherspoon) -- gave the audience the unique pleasure of watching two hilarious brothers who truly loved and cared about each other. Every episode usually escalated into Shawn and Marlon pushing the boundaries of what was considered "appropriate." They seemed to take the extreme sensibilities of "In Living Color" and sketch comedy and apply them to a sitcom (Something that had never been done before.) This extreme sensibility went on to serve them well in their future blockbusters "Scary Movie" and "White Chicks." The series also was notable for some extraordinary casting and episodes include guests like Blaxploitation superstars and the Wayans childhood heroes "Shaft," "Superfly," "Huggy Bear," Pam Grier and 70s stars Gary Coleman, the cast of "Good Times," and other guest stars like Paula Abdul, Michael Clarke Duncan, Bernie Mac, Keith Sweat, Missy Elliot, Busta Rhymes, etc...

Nice one

Author: SanteeFats from United States
8 June 2013

I watched this show when it was new and really liked it. I now watch it in reruns when I can find it. I keep looking for the complete series so I can buy it but all I can find is season one. The two brothers are diametrically opposed in their personalities and their job prospects. One wants to be a success and finds a way to have his own business, the other is a low life, freeloading bum, although he does eventually have some success as an actor. They are both horn dogs who have many not so amorous dates. The show is funny and their Pops is a a refreshing, old school,beat your ass father. The security guard in the lobby is good as a comedic foil and a man hunter.

yet did Deedee,

Author: angelahuntmail from United States
21 May 2007

hahaha. this show was the best show on t.v. i love it. i have seen every episode 4 times some 5. i love how Marlon plays stupid. And always messes up Shawn's life. like looking in on Shawn's sex. i like the jokes the out on Dee about how she cant get a man. take my advice watch this show it's on b.e.t. or buy it. best show. i like pops to. bang bang bang is what he always say. and his drinking problem how he likes to have a little taste. i like how he fights with grandma and if you like comedy you will love this show. Shawn is more of the ladies man who takes his free loading brother Marlon in. and Marlon some times messes up Shawn's life. but Shawn isn't really funny just witty. every episode will have you crying with laughter.

wayans bros. is the best show ever

Author: sugar_doll67 from United States
14 September 2006

I LOOOOOOVE THIS SHOW!!!! i'm so happy they're showing reruns.. as soon as I get home, first thing I do is turn on the TV and put it on the wayans bros. (for those of u that don't know it comes on at 4:00 - 5:00 on BET.. channel 49) this show is the funniest show ever.. sometimes some of the things that shawn and marlon say aren't that funny, but i still laugh. I'm sure most of u will agree with me when i say that its their facial expressions that make us laugh the most. all in all this is a GREAT show .. the entire wayans family has a whole lot of talent, and its great to still see them in the entertainment business. i also loved john witherspoons (pops) role.. he was funny too.. especially when he talked about their momma lol.

i especially love the title song.. i think its cute how they hug each other.. brotherlyy lo0ve ;) man they're all hilarious ppl.. like i said its good to see that after the show was canceled, they never gave up in the business bcuz they were obviously born into this world for that one reason :)

Pretty funny

Author: edge_head86 from Canada
5 July 2006

I like the show, it's not bad. It's quite old, but nonetheless, it's good. Especially the Wayans bros, they're very funny. Or the best parts when they smack their dad, and he takes off the belt, and starts beating them with it. lmao, good stuff. It's on BET sometimes,it's time well spent. The show didn't go on very long, i think from 1994, to 1999, something like that. I'm not sure.

However, it's a really good show. I haven't watched it much, but from the few shows i've seen it's really funny. There's some drama, but not much. Mostly laughter. Hey, no comment there. That's the best part.

So, should you watch Wayans bros, i think you should. There's just so much laughter, and all kinds off stuff. So give it a shot.

Doesn't stand up to the test of time

Author: Gram from England
15 May 2008

As an after school show I'm sure this was successful but out of context (13 years later) it doesn't offer anything. I'm a huge fan of the wayans bro's but without a good set of writers they don't have the same independence as Will Smith in fresh prince. I like John Witherspoon (Pops) too and think he made a huge contribution to the success of boondocks but after seeing him take off in that it really makes you see that he was a bit flat on this.

Maybe I'm being silly in trying to critique an after school show as a comedy but its certain that the actors in this show are suffering from a lack of something that they all found later on in other projects.

Crazy as a loon in one silly sitcom

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
25 April 2002

Cool? Hilarious? Crazy as a loon? You bet. The Wayans Brothers Show was all that and a whole lot more. For the five seasons that it ran on the WB,you'll never what those two were up to conjure up next. You can tell that Shawn was the cool on and in control,and Marlon was the total nut. Their dad? He was something. After they got caught and stuff,their dad would talk to them,and the next get out that big 70's belt from his pants saying,"violence? I'll show you violence!" as the two ran for the nearest exit. It was funny,but it was one crazy sitcom that had me laughing out loud and then some.

Better than the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Author: ECHO-16 from France
17 May 1999

I just saw 5 episodes. But it's the best sitcom I have ever seen. It's even better than the first episodes of the fresh prince of Bel-air. If you like Hip Hop and its culture and you like to laugh at it, this show is for you!

The Show Is Great!

Author: jessica jones from Colorado Springs, Colorado
25 November 2002

The show is so great! it is the most hilarious show I have ever seen! And Marlon is so cute!I wish they could put the show back on air! everybody misses it!