IMDb > "The Wayans Bros." (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Wayans Bros."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Wayans Bros." More at IMDbPro »

I'd Love to see A New Sitcom

Author: CSW-1 from Atlanta, Ga
21 January 2003

I agree. The Wayans Bros was a really entertaining television show that was an almost 'no holding back' show not catering to mainstream sitcoms of the present. The show is aired weekdays on the WB- Atlanta and I really miss it. I wish they'd bring it back or at least a new sitcom featuring Shawn and Marlon. Their closeness was so evident in each episode which made the show even more enjoyable.

One Funny TV Show!

Author: dgordon-1 from Toronto, Canada
27 September 2002

I have always been a fan of the Wayan's family, from Keenan all the way down to Marlon. Marlon & Shawn were priceless with some of their comedy in this show. It's not only what they said, but how they said it and the facial expressions all rolled into one. I was sorry to see this show cancelled back in 1999. From what I remember, the WB was going to cancel the show after the second season, but it ended up running for 2 more seasons before it's demise. I am glad that Marlon & Shawn have moved on to other things, and the rest of the family are doing great too because they have a rare gift of comedy that cannot be beat!

Personal Favorite

Author: keithpettyworld from United States
7 April 2006

This show was very funny one of the best shows to hit the TV screen, it was very under rated and it shouldn't be. Marlon and Shawn Wayans were so funny in this show I would cry laughing. Pops was very funny to.If this show wasn't any good I am pretty sure it wouldn't come out on DVD but it is and it's a good thing. I love this show and will never forget it. I think the show was very funny. All the characters were funny. Marlon and Shawn did a great thing with this show. I think they should bring it back. Pops was hilarious. There are some things on here you just can't top. The Wayans Bros. was a really good show. The Wayans Bros. was a very good show. Their runs come on BET and I record every single one of the on my DVR. The was always funny even though some shows were very silly. Sometimes Marlon would go overboard every now and again but he was still funny. Shawn and John Witherspoon were great also. The show should have at least been able to have a final episode.

Shawn and Marlon are the coolest guys on TV

Author: csiney (csiney@yahoo.com) from johannesburg, south africa
23 September 2000

This program cracks me up. Marlon especially with his dumb ideas and comments. Shawn can be funny. These two Wayans brothers are almost as talented as their brothers Damon and Keneen. Damon is one of my favourite actors. Keneen is very talented. I think that "In Living Color" was a great sitcom. It had a great cast. Jim Carrey and Jennifer Lopez became stars after the program ended. The Wayans Bros. is a great comedy.

Very funny show!

Author: MikeFab1 (MikeFab1@yahoo.com) from Boston, MA
31 December 2002

This was one of the first of what I call Average African-American Shows.

(See my review of One On One for more details) It's basically a show not

on the Top 4 networks that is mostly made up of African American actors.

The thing that makes these shows different from shows like The Cosby

Show, Jeffersons, Good Times, etc... is that they aren't exactly

supposed to appeal to White America. In fact they appeal to a more Urban

audience. I guess that's why I liked this show so much. There's

something about a show that doesn't try to appeal to the majority that

helps make it funnier and cutting-edge. Much like their previous show,

In Living Colour, Marlon and Shawn show they have what it takes to make

young audiences laugh. My brother and I especially love the beginning

theme song: "We're brothers. We're happy and we're singing and we're

colored. Give me a HIGH-FIVE!" Then they help an old lady get run over

by a bus which they somehow got on. HILARIOUS!! Another incident my

brother and I love is the episode where their father says he's going to

stand up to their mother. The next day he shows up with his suitcases at

their apartment and he says he told their mother everything he wanted to

tell her. They Wayans brothers then ask what happened next. The father

replies, "I don't know. When I came to some stranger was helping me on

the bus." I LOVED IT! Too bad it was cancelled so darn ear

This show was a riot.

Author: fullenw from United States
30 November 2006

The Wayans brothers was honestly one of the funniest shows in the 90's despite not lasting that long.

It was an injustice that this show didn't get more recognition when it came to comedies.

Almost anything with a Wayans you're not going to hear a bunch jokes that takes 5 minutes to get the punchline. The comedy may seem crude at times, but its so true its funny.

Another good thing is that this sitcom isn't big on drama and thats a good thing in my opinion. This is a show you can enjoy that doesn't take itself too serious.

During the rise of the "WB" network

Author: actionmoviestar from United States
22 December 2005

"The Wayans Bros." was such a funny show that it used to have me rolling on the floor. Part of the reason why it was a good show is that everybody on the show had good chemistry. Who could forget John Witherspoon cast as "Pops." He was perfectly cast in that role. The strength of "The Wayans Bros." was not because they were another "black" show on television but was because they were not afraid to take comedy to new heights in order to get their laughs.

During the earlier seasons of "The Wayans Bros." you can tell that the show's strengths was along the heels of "WB" because they were becoming a famous network around this time. I ask myself, "why can't more shows be like this?" Anyway, "The Wayans Bros." will have you rolling on the floor with Shawn, Marlon and Pops antics throughout it.

low brow comedy at it's best

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
8 December 2000

This might be low brow comedy, but it's hilarious. The show is very well written, and I completely enjoy every episode. I think the Wayan's brothers have great charisma, and they work perfectly together. It is clear that they have a close relationship, and it goes to make the characters more likeable. Pops, with his ridiculous outfits adds an unusual element to the show...and even more humor. This is a great show with great characters, and great acting. In a word...great. Check it out, reruns air on the WB.

The Wayans Brothers

Author: supergenius808-1
22 August 2014

Between huge hits "In Living Color" and "Scary Movie," Shawn and Marlon Wayans co-created their own sitcom. The premise -- two brothers and roommates in New York, working with their Pops (John Witherspoon) -- gave the audience the unique pleasure of watching two hilarious brothers who truly loved and cared about each other. Every episode usually escalated into Shawn and Marlon pushing the boundaries of what was considered "appropriate." They seemed to take the extreme sensibilities of "In Living Color" and sketch comedy and apply them to a sitcom (Something that had never been done before.) This extreme sensibility went on to serve them well in their future blockbusters "Scary Movie" and "White Chicks." The series also was notable for some extraordinary casting and episodes include guests like Blaxploitation superstars and the Wayans childhood heroes "Shaft," "Superfly," "Huggy Bear," Pam Grier and 70s stars Gary Coleman, the cast of "Good Times," and other guest stars like Paula Abdul, Michael Clarke Duncan, Bernie Mac, Keith Sweat, Missy Elliot, Busta Rhymes, etc...

Nice one

Author: SanteeFats from United States
8 June 2013

I watched this show when it was new and really liked it. I now watch it in reruns when I can find it. I keep looking for the complete series so I can buy it but all I can find is season one. The two brothers are diametrically opposed in their personalities and their job prospects. One wants to be a success and finds a way to have his own business, the other is a low life, freeloading bum, although he does eventually have some success as an actor. They are both horn dogs who have many not so amorous dates. The show is funny and their Pops is a a refreshing, old school,beat your ass father. The security guard in the lobby is good as a comedic foil and a man hunter.