IMDb > "Unhappily Ever After" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Unhappily Ever After"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Unhappily Ever After" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Similar to "Married With Children", but a few subtle diffs.

Author: Smooth B from Somewhere In Illinois
10 January 2000

I'll admit, when I first started watching this show in 1995, I thought that this would be the new MWC once the old MWC went off the air. I mean, look at the similarities......the deadbeat, minimum-wage earning father; the wise-cracking, undersexed mother; a son who dreams of scoring but never does, and a totally hot daughter. There's a few differences, however:

1. The hot daughter is smarter than the boys. She's the straight-A student here. Of course, that doesn't stop her from wiggling around in the shortest skirts possible.

2. There's 2 sons. One combines the undersexed part of MWC's "Bud" character and the dumb part of MWC's "Kelly" character, the other is used primarily for comic relief.

3. Mr. Floppy. The talking bunny is Mr. Malloy's alter ego, and only he can talk to him. Of course, his family thinks he's crazy when he spends all that time in the basement.

4. Tiffany, the hot, short-skirted daughter, is a virgin. When I first heard this, I thought it was the biggest contradiction of the show. Here's a girl that looks this good, with all these guys drooling over her, and she's a VIRGIN? Oh please. As we all know, Kelly Bundy of MWC's favorite spot was the back seat of a car. We didn't see it on camera, but she was understood to be very promiscuous.

After the behind-the-scenes people seen who was watching the show, and who on the show they were watching, first the grandma was let go (after the first season!) and then Stephanie Hodge (who played the mother) was booted off the show. "Unhappily" was restructured around Nikki Cox's character, Tiffany. The show then became an exercise in watching Tiffany and her best friend glide across the screen in the shortest, skimpiest dresses allowed on TV-14 television. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this show, and when it went off the air I was pretty disappointed. The reruns are still around, and I really like watching those! I give this show a solid A.

Greatest show ever!

Author: drivecrasher from United States
17 May 2006

This was one of the greatest t.v. shows of all time. Nikki Cox was brilliant in the show. The father and the sons were very entertaining as well with their wild and crazy antics. I loved every episode. It was very funny for sure. It also had plenty of eye candy. Someone needs to put this show to DVD ASAP. Does anyone have any idea if there are plans to do this? Maybe one day the television gods will come down from the heavens and bless the whole world with this show on DVD sometime within my lifetime. Every day seems like an endless eternity waiting for the day i might finally be able to buy this great television show on DVD. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this.

A Clone, but...

Author: Foggy-7 from Boston, MA
16 August 2001

Unhappily Ever After is in syndication where I live, and watching it these days, it's clear that while it based itself on Married...With Children, it was also trying to be innovative in how it told its story, how its actors interrelated, and how it treated the show itself.

Obstensibly, the show was about a family of five: a divorced couple, a sexpot daughter, one idiot kid, and one not-so-much an idiot kid. The show however also tended to treat the fourth wall as their urinal, frequently breaking out of character to be themselves, talking to the audience, bringing in studio executives, etc.

This was one of the good points of the show: in one episode, Nikki Cox and Kevin Connolly are faced with having to get rid of the actor who plays Ryan, because he wasn't written into the script and refuses to go away.

The cheesecake factor here is high -- but the cheesecake remembers to laugh at itself quite frequently. The acting for the most part is wooden on Nikki's part, but the actor who plays Jack manages to get the Al Bundy down without all those annoying characteristics Ed O'Neill slowly added to the role.

It's a stupid show, but it's supposed to be stupid, and there are some genuinely funny, and occasionally vicious moments in the show.

Great show - it kicks ASS

Author: laszlo75 from Czech Republic
5 May 2001

This show is great. A lot of people call it a Rip off but for gods sake!This show is done by the same people that done Married with children. So the shows are similar but thats the Joke. With a smart daughter and a stupid son and so on. But Mr. Floppy is the best Alter Ego ever and the scenes where Jack talks to Floppy with other people around are the best. This sitcom is damm the best ever and who dont understand the jokes on MWC is a jackass.

Digital Video Discs, please

Author: vykk_draygo4000 from United States
26 July 2005

I loved this show. It was kind of a takeoff of Married with Children, but it struck me as a smarter version of said show. As Al Bundy's life was complicated in a simple way, Jack Malloy's was complicated in a complicated way. Bundy was just a man's idiot living a very cynical life, but Jack was a raging alcoholic suffering from Schizophrenia embodied in a child's toy. The intelligence of the children was reversed (the hot girl was smart and the boy was the stupid one). While the episodes about the kids were semi-funny, Jack was indeed the key character, and when the story revolved around him, the show tended to be hilarious. Sure, Tiffany's competition with her schoolmate came off as funny, especially because she took her world a little too seriously, but finding out that Jack was the founding member of the band that eventually became Aerosmith was hilarious.

This show NEEDS to come out on DVD. It would be the first set I'd buy. Someone petition the WB for episodes!

Good show that went downhill *possible spoilers*

Author: alvin_b_18 from Barbados
31 March 2004

When "Unhappily Ever After" first began, I was hooked. I knew that it was similar to "Married With Children" but I didn't care. Why? Because the Malloy family seemed like an extreme sarcastic version of the Bundys...and I LOVED it.

But then in season 2 the writers decided to have Jack move back in with Jenny and the kids. "OK," I thought, "that's not too bad." So I kept watching. Then in season 3 they killed off one of my favourite characters, Maureen. "All right," I thought, "now they're starting to go too far."

Then in season 4 Jenny disappeared and the show more or less became "The Nikki Cox Show". That was when I stopped watching. I mean, I don't have anything against Cox as an actress, but I never cared for her character, Tiffany. And after season 3, as far as I was concerned, Tiffany "should have shut up and looked pretty". (To paraphrase Marcy from "Married With Children".) Because while she WAS beautiful, she was also very annoying.

But they started to focus on Tiffany and ONLY Tiffany, although the show was supposed to be about Jack. Really, how many anorexia/smart-girl-can't-get-a-man jokes were we supposed to stand??? Tiffany just wasn't as funny as Jack, and her rants about her (lack of a) sex life and social issues got tired after a while.

Oh well...all good things must come to an end. It's too bad "Unhappily Ever After" had to end on a low note.

Perhaps a Guilty Pleasure

Author: TMC-4
21 November 1999

Frankly Unhappily Ever After can be considered a guilty pleasure. The show esstentially played out on a trashy level (i.e. in terms of its seemingly inane storytelling) and perhaps the acting had a tendecy of being relatively amateurish. Unhappily Ever After tried to coast as far as it could in terms of references to popular culture and to a certain degree the show benefited from it. Perhaps that was the only thing the show had to fall back on but the references managed to come out on a frequent basis and were fairly interesting never the less. Perhaps Unhappily Ever After can considerably be labled as "low-rent satire." You're viewing something that's can be juvenile on a frequent basis but at the same time will make a fun out of numerous things in popular culture.

not like Married with Children at all

Author: Zane Thompson from Tempe, Arizona
22 December 2000

This is a good comedy; I know most teenage males like it for Nikki Cox but personally I think she is shallow. The reason I like it is for Mr. Floppy's crazy comments and the comic talents of Justin Berfield. Unfortunately, Justin doesn't get much more than 5 minutes of screen time until the final season. Which is a shame; he's one of the more talented young actors in the business. Thank gawd Linwood Boomer recognises this and gives him ample screen time in MITM.

A Great Married With Children Ripoff

Author: jlapan
25 September 2000

It's true that the show is an obvious Married With Children ripoff. In fact, in one episode I specifically remember Ed O'Neill's (Al Bundy from Married With Children) name being mentioned. Nevertheless, the show is hilarious. Especially Mr Floppy.

It's A Great Show!!!

Author: Dan M. (weirddan3@aol.com) from white bear lake, minnesota
5 August 2000

Unhappily ever after is a great show. It may be a ripoff of "Married With Children" but it is a better show. The best character is Mr. Floppy (Jack's alter ego) whose funny jokes and witty comments almost make the show! On scale of one to ten (1=lowest, 10=highest) I give this show 9.7. It's a great show!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]