IMDb > "Timon & Pumbaa" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Timon & Pumbaa" More at IMDbPro »

I still love it!

Author: mcandrew-1 from United States
16 August 2006

Okay yeah, "Timon and Pumbaa" isn't exactly a Disney masterpiece, but personally, I love the show. Yes, the animation is pretty much crap. Yes, a lot of the plot lines are incredibly simple if not stupid (I wanted to shoot myself when I realized I had spent 15 minutes watching T&P trying to hit a golf ball). But for every cliché loony-tunes rip-off, there are a lot of really cute, really funny moments in the show. Episodes such as when Timon's "mom" comes to dinner or that gorilla mistakes T&P for babies or when T&P find Pumbaa Jr. or the episode "Bumble in the Jungle" (aka Fantasia Toon Dinsey Style)...these are the episodes that make me really wish Disney would put this show on DVD. And even in some of the dumber episodes, there are always one or two moments when you find yourself laughing at the crazy banter between T&P (example- in Uganda be an Elephant- check out the "backwards not forgetting" sequence). Face it, these two are the animated version of Abbott and Costello. Personally, I'll latch upon any outlet I can to watch these two.

Gets Repetitive and Loony, but still worth watching.

Author: lentr
16 January 2006

The Timon and Pumbaa television series is generally ragged on as another way to make a quick buck for Disney.

Well, it is. Every TV show is designed to make money and become famous or use the fame of others.

However, Timon and Pumbaa are nonetheless charming in their hyperbolated character flaws, such as Timon's chronic greed and selfishness, and Pumbaa's idiot savant genius hidden behind his naiveté and ignorance.

Some of the episodes are lacking in animation, cleverness, and satisfying resolutions. But most are great fun to watch, and have some very humorous (some made me laugh out loud) gags in them, from simple physical comedy to plays on words through Timon and Pumbaa's bantering and the episode titles, and sometimes it is just the sheer silliness of their predicaments and dialog (just check out some of the quotes). Their adventures take them all over the place (and that's meant literally and figuratively).

Other minor characters like Zazu, Rafiki, and the hyenas feature in their own episodes, but generally these aren't as good, except for perhaps the Zazu episode where he loses his job for being off by one animal in a survey. Like this and others, some of the episodes have some sort of moral lesson at the end, but in general the show is at its best when Timon and Pumbaa are being themselves with good writers at the helm.

The ambidextrous and many aliased Criminal Quint is funnier than some give him credit to be, and what show is it without a recurring villain? All shows have such.

In all, I'd rate this cartoon as "decent." Nothing to get worked up about, but definitely worth watching when you catch it. If you're lucky you'll get one of the good ones.

Hakuna Matata...again!!!!!

Author: Seth Nelson from (Near) D/FW Airport, Texas, USA
4 September 2006

Because of the trend that was being formed for all the Disney Afternoon cartoons back in the day, I was hoping for a "Lion King" cartoon to come out. And it did!!!!! The cartoon was called "Timon and Pumbaa," created in 1995 and shown on The Disney Afternoon for a couple years then.

Like with "The Little Mermaid" and "Aladdin," more adventures have sprung up for the main characters - those being Timon the Meerkat and Pumbaa the Warthog (a.k.a. MR. PIG)! I liked all the new characters and the new enemies (they were soooo funny!!!!!), and there were some episodes that had only the Hyenas or Rafiki, and those were good, too! Note: I mentioned about Mr. Pig because of what Pumbaa sometimes said when he was called a name:

"What did you call me????? What did you call me?????? WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?????

THEY CALL ME.....

MR. PIg!

Aaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!"

Man, this show was the classic!!!!!

10 stars

The zany characters from the Lion King are back, in an uneven but somewhat entertaining show

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
18 April 2010

At 17, I still absolutely love the Lion King. It was the first film I ever saw in the cinema, and even now I marvel at the amazing animation, music, humour and voice acting. In this show, the zany characters Timon and Pumbaa, who along with Sebastian and Flounder, The Three Good Fairies and Jaq and Gus are my favourite Disney sidekicks are the main attraction. The show itself is uneven, but it is still very entertaining.

Animation: There are times when it isn't great, sometimes a little shoddy and static and some of the characters who features are occasionally wonkily animated, but when the animation is good it is good. When it is good, the backgrounds are colourful, the colours audacious and the characters move convincingly.

Music: The irresistible and hilarious Hukuna Matata, which I consider one of my favourite songs from the Lion King, serves as the theme tune for this show. And you know what, it still works. I always find myself singing along, and for me that is a glorious feeling. And the incidental music is above decent as well.

Story lines/quotes: I do agree that some of the story lines are predictable, repetitive and silly, but there are some funny and cute moments. And there are some funny quotes in my opinion, with Timon and Pumbaa's witty bantering quite inspired.

Voices/characters: I know there are some people who find Timon and Pumbaa annoying, personally I really like them. They both have flaws, Timon being selfish and Pumbaa being naive, but they are both very funny and charming. Rafiki and the hyenas sometimes make guest appearances, the episodes with the hyenas are good(not great mind you), but Rafiki's are just okay. The voice acting is great, Ernie Sabella is wonderful as Pumbaa, and while Kevin Schon lacks the impeccable comic timing of Nathan Lane, he does an above average job, as does Quentin Flynn. Veteran voice actor Jim Cummings is brilliant as always with voice of Ed the hyena.

Overall, Timon and Pumbaa is uneven, but it is entertaining. And as a matter of fact it is something I recommend for kids. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Good show for Youth

Author: shani_dayo from United States
7 September 2015

Timon and Pumbaa is a nice show for kids of all ages, sad to admit it but I still watch it at my age. I find most of the story lines to be fairly entertaining but at times if You have the wrong storyline, and the Character just doesn't fit it makes the difference. By that I mean at times in the show there would be a bland story with Timon and Pumbaa that would have fit well with another Character, and made it more interesting to watch, simple mistake in all honesty. The show offers some simple lessons for kids while stepping from being to corny or to preachy. The Realism of the show is not like in the movie, and the laws of nature don't seem to apply, but that is not a big issue for Me, I think it expands I child's imagination.

Although the show is very good, there is one thing I would like to add about it, they should have involved Simba a little more because He was only in about three episodes, He made The Lion King practically! I also think a series featuring Timon and Pumbaa wasn't the greatest idea, personally I feel they should have used cub Simba and cub Nala to give it more spice.

Overall the show Is great for an afternoon cartoon after school, and You will enjoy it, one day it may even be considered classic.

Decent, but it has problems.

Author: Cartoon King from U.S.A.
3 October 2011

"Timon and Pumbaa" was a TV spin-off of the amazing Disney film "The Lion King". It ran for 3 seasons with a total of 85 episodes on CBS from 1995-1999.

"Timon and Pumbaa" (much like the "Aladdin" TV series) was a lot goofier and crazier when compared to the movie it was based on. For example, all of the weird characters. Especially Criminal Quint, who was actually human. Who ever thought we would see a human in a the "Liom King" series? But the goofiness does (in some ways) give the show a certain charm, I just really think Quint was a bad idea.

The animation isn't so great in this show either. I know their budget is smaller since it's a TV show, but I know they could've done better. Especially since this show was made in the '90s, and there were a LOT of cartoon shows in the '90s with great animation ("Animaniacs"; "Ren & Stimpy"; "The Simpsons"). Also this is Disney we're talking about. The biggest media company in the world! I guess they don't care that much when it comes to television.

"Timon and Pumbaa" is a decent show though. It was pretty funny, the animation was..... okay, the voice acting was great, and the show was overall pretty enjoyable. However it's not perfect, it is a little too goofy sometimes, and some episodes flat-out sucked.

Rating: 6/10 "Decent"

What a Cliche

Author: Komplex Intelligence
23 June 2001

The thing that Disney has done a billion times in every single one of their movies such as Aladdin, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, etc. Is those annoying sidekicks with one-liners that the kids admire and the adults only like them because they are voiced by people such as Robin Williams and Eddie Murphy. But every time they bring in characters like this, they just have to make spin-offs of the sidekicks, of which I don't know how they get made. Timon and Pumbaa which is a spin-off of Lion King is fairly decent, despite some of the same tiresome Looney Tunes style Cartoony situations with other characters who won't be remembered. The side shows to Timon and Pumbaa, which are the one's with those Hyena's are not so bad. The Rafaki Baboon episodes are very blah. Note to anyone who has kids: Be careful of getting your kid hook on pointless spinoffs, for there have been things worse than this. Timon and Pumbaa in themselves make a great comedy couple.

A near ripoff of the Warner Bros. cartoons of the 40's and 50's

Author: policy134 from Denmark
12 February 2005

Timon and Pumbaa can be described as Looney Tunes Lite. Though some of the episodes are fairly close to screwball comedy they usually end with some kind of lesson to be learned. A prime example is the episode where Pumbaa has trouble catching bugs. Timon gets the idea that it must be because Pumbaa needs glasses because he can't see how many fingers he is holding up from 100 feet away. The episode even starts with Road Runner-like title cards in pig Latin. The end features a vision of the ghost of Pumbaa's uncle who gives the lesson of the day: Believe in yourself. In conclusion I have to say that although I like the sometimes intellectual aspect of the show there are many instances where it's just plain slapstick humor with Timon getting everything dropped on his head that flattens him. I have watched the show about a dozen times and the best episodes are actually not the ones with Timon and Pumbaa as central characters but the side characters the hyenas. They feature one of my favorite voice-over actor Tress Macneille who can imitate everything from a teenage boy (Jimbo and Milhouse on the Simpsons) to a brainless blonde.

Okay, but I've seen better.

Author: Melissa (turtlepaw88) from United States
9 June 2006

This television show's been brought back to the Disney Channel. I saw it for the first time not too long ago, and I must say I was somewhat disappointed, though my judgment is biased.(I love The Lion King, so I guess I had high expectations.) But, this show's animation isn't exactly what I'd call good. It's basically Ren and Stimpy, but to my TLK-obsessed dismay, with Timon and Pumbaa.

Criminal Quint is painfully annoying. It's my opinion that they should have used a more Lion King-related villain, such as a lion or hyena, but I guess I'm just being picky.

A few jokes were funny, I have to admit. I just think that it could use a tad less slapstick jokes, and incorporate the original movies a little more.

4/10. I've seen worse, but it's not exactly Grammy material...

*sigh*

Author: Kilik-Sama from Fou-Lou Empire
2 December 2003

This wasn't one of the best Disney Cartoons. I miss Their old classics like Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin and Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers.

Timon and Pumbaa was somewhat a "kiddie" version of Ren and Stimpy. STill with the farting and belching. The show became repetive when Timon and Pumbaa's arch enemey, Quint would arrive. Yeah.. I didn't like Quint and he wasn't funny.

Neither was that bear that was featured on the Toon Disney version. The Bear falling in love with a human irked me.

Some of the Timon and Pumbaa cartoons were tolorable. I am just tired of them running into Quint!