IMDb > "Star Trek: Voyager" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Star Trek: Voyager"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Star Trek: Voyager" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Folks... relax. It's just a show.

Author: jc from usa
22 February 2003

If IMDB had a way of getting a blood pressure reading on some of the users making comments for this show, the results would be frightening. There's no reason to EVER get that worked up over a program!

I've never been able to understand why a person would watch an entire seven year series, hating it all the way. Option: Turn the channel. You've got nothing to lose. It's not like in the theater where one might sit through a tepid movie because they paid admission. Voyager was free. Take it or leave it.

Personally, I enjoyed the show. I liked the plot, the cast, and most of the storylines. I appreciated the mix of drama and action. Voyager, in my opinion, was a very good program. Had I not felt good about it... I would have turned it off. Problem solved.

Not every series is going to be a masterpiece. Not everyone is going to like every show. If it's your cup of tea, drink it. If not, put the cup down.

Not the worst, as some would have you believe, and really quite good

Author: matlock-6 from Chicago, IL
7 July 2003

Contrary to what many Trek nerds would have you believe, Voyager is not the worst Star Trek series, and is not at all a bad show. The acting is superior to that on the beloved The Next Generation (that comment alone will probably have people throwing their Spock ears at their monitors), and I think many of the stories were better. TNG stories always seemed to revolve around spacial anomalies and holodeck malfunctions, which became excruciatingly boring. I wasn't interested in seeing Picard dressed up like Sherlock Holmes and trying to solve a fake mystery, only to be trapped on the holodeck and have the safety mechanisms shut off. As many times as this happened, I would have shut the silly thing down and prohibited its use.

Voyager was so great because it truly put its protagonists into a situation that they could not extricate themselves from. For the first time since the original 1960's series, Star Trek characters truly went where nobody had gone before, discovering new races and acquiring knowledge. And they couldn't call on the federation to save them.

And no doctor has ever been as good in his role as Robert Picardo. That even includes DeForest Kelly, who was exceptional.

Jennifer Lien was also outstanding as Kes, who was very much missed after her departure from the series.

Voyager brought back a lot of the adventure that was inherent in the first Star Trek series, and was lost in TNG. Perhaps it didn't live up to its enormous potential, but it was still a very good series that is, unfortunately, far to often the target of hate by TNG purists and people who like to pick at microscopic details.

Relax

Author: arcamian (lee_47alpha@yahoo.com) from Columbia, South Carolina
18 March 2004

The universe of Star Trek has done something brilliant to keep alive. The creators have imposed a story arch for all the series starting with DS9. Don't get me wrong. TNG was what got me into Star Trek in the first place. It had vibrant characters, unique ideas, and was the building block for setting the stage for the other series and the later movies. However, in all it's glory, it lacked something. Continuity. The longest the crew of the Enterprise D would have to deal with an immediate situation, was no more than 2 episodes. No doubt things would reoccur, but it was seldom. Voyager, however, would have numerous back to back episodes dealing with something. And that might even resurface somewhere down the line.

I can't understand what people dislike so much about this show. They explored so much more than any of the others. Not just in the unverse, but with the crew. They all grew. Some more than others, but you can't go 7 years and not show growth in a character. And as with every other Star Trek, it was rough at first, but it gets so much better once the writers and the actors have about a year or two to get it right.

I truely believe that if people give it a chance and don't jump on the bandwagon, they'd like it. It's easy to say you don't like something if you've never really given it a chance.

Sci-fi continuance of an original property

Author: Msdenny from United States
14 June 2004

I had to respond to someone who said this was the worst of the franchise. I happen to favor DS9, but Voyager has many great qualities including cast and unique plots. Captain Janeway was an excellent addition to the captains of Star Trek. Let us not forget the criticisms that James Kirk had during the beginnings of his work in Star Trek. The ensemble worked well together, slowly but surely over seven seasons and there were many truly memorable segments. Chakotay, Tuvok, Blana, Tom, 7 of 9, Kes, Harry, Neelix, the Doctor, at the end named Joe, each and every one developed into a character you liked each and every week, irrespective of the episode. They grew even better over time, although I wondered how Chakotay and the Captain never got together and on occasion how Blana and Tom did!and the final episode a two parter was truly a great ending to the show.

There is no edge like there is in DS9, just questions on how they are going to get home, and it is the third of this group so it gets compared to ST:TNG sometimes unfavorably. But, just as the ensemble was great in each, so as it is in Voyager.

If you take the time to watch the first season you will want to see each and every episode and feel badly when it all ends. Wanting more that is just not forthcoming.

Criticize if you will, but the current Enterprise could take some notice of the great ensemble of the previous Star Trek's and the wonderful writing that kept many turning in week after week and continue in syndication.

I just recently purchased the full seven seasons on DVD and saw it again after its television airing. The show is even better than when I first wrote about it. Each show stands alone with compelling story lines that are creative in their design and resolution. The franchise of Star Trek- from its inception in the 60's through Voyager should continue in some form other than conventions. There is a void for good stories, writing and ensembles.

Riding Voyager's Tail all the way and back again

Author: mghernst from Netherlands
27 August 2006

Here in The Netherlands, Star Trek Voyager was on the TV every 4 days of the week. I've never payed much attention to this since I am not the biggest fan of since-fiction and sorts of movies and series like it. One day, nothing was on and I decided to lower myself to the 'level' Star Trek was on. From that moment on, I didn't knew what I was saying before!

I began watching it every day, until I discovered I dropped right there in to the middle of Season 4. Which was pretty bad for me. Since I had NO clue what so ever how they got to the Delta Quadrant, where in war with the Kazon and who 'Kes' was, I decided I just had to afford the €99,99 euro 7parts DVD box. This box was kept in storage somewhere behind my schoolbooks, until I missed a couple of episodes because of my weekly and daily responsibilities. I decided to start all over again and watch the entire series without subtitles or synchronization. Pure all-American humor and language that is.

From that moment on, I knew what was going on, and how they got where they were. Including what happened to them. I didn't gave up watching Star Trek Voyager on TV, since there were still subtitles included on TV. It simply drew me back in all over again! (which I didn't mind at all) My initial misgivings suddenly disappeared and I began to be a huge fan of the series. I used to stay up all night watching it and I still do! After watching every single episode more than 3 times. Since I haven't gotten into all the other series, Voyager still raised above my expectations and for sure it amazed my how 'modern' it was for that time of year.

Therefor I want to conclude; everyone who is interested in SF, star traveling, interesting plot-twists and more, should definitely watch this series! I gave it a definite 9+.

Star Trek: Voyager blends old and new to make a great chapter in the Star Trek saga

Author: becaboo2 from United States
28 February 2006

Voyager, though different in many ways than other Star Trek series, is nonetheless a great chapter in the Star Trek saga. The characters are well developed, and the unusual situation allows for a creative array of episodes.

In the first few seasons, it is obvious that the actors (and directors) are still getting used to the characters they are trying to create. As such, the first season or two is a little chaotic, though there are underlying personal and situational themes. Regardless, the early season are most definitely enjoyable, and provide a good foundation for the seasons that follow.

Once the show gets underway, however, the characters are given more shape and depth, and the acting/directing vastly improves. The shows focus on a variety of subjects - interpersonal relationships among the crew, individual moral and spiritual issues, scientific anomalies, and time travel, as well as many other things. Both new and previously used aliens appear in the series, so while there are unfamiliar species (such as the Kazon), there are also ties to the original Star Trek villains.

I highly recommend seasons two and four - they stand out as two of the best.

Star Trek: Voyager, with its unique cast of characters and unusual mission, is a new way to explore the "final frontier".

Far better than it's said to be

Author: (jsolinas@erols.com) from MD
4 January 2000

Voyager started off on shaky ground, but gradually levelled off into a good scifi show. It took TNG forever to find its unique niche and identity, and so it is for Voyager. It can be compared to the original Star Trek, in its go-where-no-one-has-gone-before identity.

Humor and drama, action and sometimes even horror are well-balanced in Voyager, the characters started off slightly odd but eventually became edgy but fast friends with each other. Even Neelix, the Talaxian who often looks as if he's wearing rejects from Quark's wardrobe, has become a far more palatable and even likable character.

If Neelix can make me laugh, then Voyager has its niche. :)

Exploration is the name of the game

Author: thepartyoftea from BC, Canada
9 June 2006

I've been a fan of the Star Trek series since Star Trek the Next Generation. I used to watch The Next Gen after school and I loved the idea of going off to space to explore new worlds and meeting new peoples. But the one thing that bothered me about the series was all the constrictions that the Enterprise had to go through. There was several shows that had the Federation saying 'You can't do this, or that!' But with Star Trek Voyager you have a smaller ship with only a couple of dozen of people on board in a distant part of the galaxy who are trying to get home. Far away from their family, friends and superiors. The series does an great job at redefining several species and introduces new ones. The cast is great and is always fun to watch Robert Picardo as the Doctor because he gets me laughing all the time. The ship has plenty of interesting characters all growing throughout the series. The Doctor becomes more then just a hologram medical helper and becomes a real member of the ship. Captain Janeway becomes a strong confident captain. Tom Paris, a womanizing troublemaker buckles down with a former hot head, federation hating Klingon.

So if you love space exploration then this is the series for you.

Gripping dangers while stranded in a distant, hostile space quadrant

Author: roghache from Canada
17 May 2006

This is yet another brilliant Star Trek series, this time the danger fraught adventures of the Federation star ship Voyager. As a result of the Caretaker's intervention, Voyager has been stranded in the generally hostile Delta Quadrant, 75 years travel from Earth, with little prospect of any return home in the foreseeable future and initially not even any communication with the distant Federation. The Voyager crew consists of some likewise stranded Maquis (including Chakotay & B'Elanna) who have been forced to join forces with the original Federation crew in a mutual struggle to survive and return safely to the Alpha Quadrant. Commanding Voyager is surely the Federation's most bold, determined, decisive, and feisty captain. Kathryn Janeway is a no nonsense lady who, given the risks inherent in this unexplored new quadrant, is frequently obligated to arm the photon torpedoes first and seek diplomacy later. Her stern voice commands 'Hail them!' when hostile species threaten, generally followed by the even more terse and severe call, 'Battlestations'. Captain Janeway, who is addicted to black coffee, has left a fianc back home on earth. The Delta Quadrant really isn't a very friendly place. One of the first adversaries encountered is the Kazon, a brutal race subdivided into constantly warring factions. The Vidians have an unfortunate tendency to steal organs from living victims in their attempts to counteract the Phage, which has plagued their people for centuries. The Malon are the quadrant's polluters, dumping their garbage of deadly theta radiation wherever they can get away with doing so. The Hirogen are obsessed with the hunt, the pursuit of prey, the kill, and the collection of trophies. Species 8472 hails from fluidic space and boasts five genders. Most deadly is the ongoing threat of the ubiquitous Borg with their cubes, spheres, nasty Queen, and disquieting desire for assimilation. Janeway's calm, likable first officer, Chakotay, is a former Maquis of Native American origin. He has a tendency to navel gaze about his ancestors' spiritual beliefs. He & Janeway share a truly touching bond of mutual respect, friendship, and dependency, unhindered by the threat of romance... except once when stranded perhaps indefinitely alone together on a planet, when some sparks fly between them! Harry Kim is the innocent young operations officer, everyone's favourite boy next door, homesick for his parents and unlucky in love. The ship's ongoing romance is between Tom Paris and B'Elanna Torres. B'Elanna is the feisty, hot tempered, half Klingon Chief Engineer. Tom is Voyager's cool, nonchalant, charming pilot / helmsman, who has a yen for old movies, Captain Proton, rock & roll, fast cars and even faster spacecraft. Midway through the series he designs a fancy new shuttle craft, the Delta Flyer. Tuvok and Neelix are polar opposites. Tuvok, the totally logical, openly emotionless Vulcan tactical officer, has left a wife & family back home on Vulcan. Needless to say, he experiences a pon farr during Voyager's travels! Tuvok's leisure pursuits include meditating, playing logic games such as kal-toh, and listening to Vulcan dirges. Neelix is the super friendly, warm hearted, enthusiastic cook and morale officer, a Talaxian who has lost his family as a result of a devastating weapon, the metreon cascade, on his home planet. Tuvok appears to barely tolerate Neelix, but underneath is a touching, unacknowledged affection. One of the more intriguing episodes sees a transporter glitch combine Tuvok & Neelix into one individual, Tuvix, with a truly unique personality mixture of the two. In my opinion, the only uninteresting crew member is Neelix's girlfriend, the lovely Kess, despite her developing special powers. Kess is an Ocampan, a Delta Quadrant race with a short life span, whose females incubate their young in a sac on their back. Kess is replaced mid way through the series by the totally compelling and endearing Seven of Nine, a Borg of human origin, severed from the collective during the fascinating two part episode, The Scorpion. The beautiful blonde Seven struggles to adjust to her newfound individuality as she punches up data in Astrometrics, ever efficient in her skin tight garb and pausing only long enough to regenerate. Perhaps the most lovable crew member is The Doctor, actually the Emergency Medical Hologram, but with more personality than any of the organic folk! He's a totally insufferable, arrogant, yet very appealing character who has a brief love affair of his own with a Vidian doctor. He also sings opera and has something of a crush on Seven, to whom he gives dating lessons (definitely Voyager's funniest episode). There's even a child aboard, the charming little half Ktarian Naomi Wildman, who was born on Voyager. Neelix reads her bedtime stories, but later she longs to become Captain's Assistant. Her role model is Seven with whom she plays kadiscat. New technologies introduced in the series include Voyager's bio-neural gel packs. Needless to say, the crew frequently encounter false leads that promise a quick trip home to the Alpha Quadrant. A number of their adventures involve disruptions in the time line. The most compelling time related episode is the two part Year of Hell, involving constant attacks by the Krenim time ship with its devastating temporal weapon. At the heart of the series is the crew's camaraderie in its assorted struggles to return to the Alpha Quadrant. Their goal is challenging, but it's the journey that counts. My sole complaint is the show's occasional intrusion into the theological realm with the Klingon Messiah, Klingon hell etc. Otherwise, it's a wonderful & unique science fiction series with a stellar cast. Finally, my compliments to the late Jerry Goldsmith for his amazing theme music. I call it the music of longing to go home.

The Star Trek legend lives on

Author: Dimitris Katsouropoulos (dimitriskats@yahoo.com) from Athens, Greece
5 June 2005

Voyager - 7 seasons on DVD. This is a must see. Backgrounds, stories, characters, are all first class. An excellent work of modern TV drama. Following entirely the Gene Roddenberry's vision, this show is indeed a prime derivative. It would be unfair to mention any name in particular. The integration of roles, stories and dialog is remarkable. If you ever liked a sci-fi film then these DVD boxes contain a treasure. From very important social issues, through galactic perils and humor, the crew of Voyager along with its creative team will take you really where no man has gone before. Packaging is robust and typical. All seasons contain extra material. Audio and Video take a 10 in 10. Enjoy the ride in the 4th Quadrant. This is an order.

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]