IMDb > "Space: Above and Beyond" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Space: Above and Beyond"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Space: Above and Beyond" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

One of the truly greats

Author: docp from Preston, England
11 February 2003

This is without doubt one of the truly great sci-fi series of all time. Why it was ever cancelled is, equally, one of the great mysteries of all time. The characters were all highly charismatic and all very different; yet they blended together perfectly to make one hell of a team. Nowhere was there a weak link: the weakest was the tendency to photograph the entire series in near blackness - a fault shared by so many TV and cinema films these days e.g. The X-Files. This is not a series with a single 'star' with everyone else playing satellite roles: in S:AAB, there are either no stars or everyone is a star. You cannot choose individuals as the entire series emphasises time and again that the group of youngsters and their commanding officers are all part of the team, and that they are all functioning as one unit. To anyone who is not impressed by S:AAB, then I really would like to know what they fancy, as I probably would not.

Alas for its cancellation...

Author: Quill_32
9 June 2003

This was one of the best TV shows I've ever seen, and its cancellation was an enormous loss as well as a blow to its fans. It took ordinary characters and relevant issues and made them into a story that was intense, realistic, and worthwhile. The creators did not err and make things black or white; as in actual life, each situation had at least two sides to it, and the characters had to make their choices accordingly. This show dealt with fear and bigotry, betrayal and friendship, loyalty and love, and did it honestly. The acting was OUTSTANDING and the synergy hard to top. And for those of us addicted to hope, the characters were ever willing to extend a hand. As they should.

excellent series

Author: Jasson Cresanto (ragesaint@aol.com) from Atlanta
30 September 1998

It seems that any show I feel is truly worth watching gets cancelled. So you better hope I don't start watching the shows you like! S: AAB was outstanding. Excellents writing, acting, special effects. A space-war-soap opera-type feel that just seemed to drag you in. The way I understand it, it is getting exceptional ratings on Sci-Fi Channel and if we bother them enough, they may do more shows or TV movies for S:AAB.

HOO RAH!

Righteously p***ed off!!

Author: magus-21 from Fullerton, California
25 September 1999

If I was allowed to, I'd spout off a string of curses at the people at Fox who cancelled this show. I loved this series! Except for the Babylon 5 TV-movies "In the Beginning..." and "A Call to Arms," there has been no other show that sparked my interest so much as S:AAB. I found every character deep and vivid and actually _realistic_, most especially Lt.-Col. T.C. McQueen, unlike Star Trek with its plastic, uber-idealistic characters (BTW, I used to like Star Trek, until I matured and entered junior high and realized how incredibly idiotic the show is; only First Contact is in any way redeeming to the Star Trek name). But all of the actors in S:AAB are extremely, _extremely_ talented. Now, the last time I saw them were in cameo appearances on the X-Files!!! I cannot express my outrage at such a waste of talent! And you have no idea how happy I was when I saw David Duchovny in a cameo role in a S:AAB episode!

S:AAB combined everything I love about sci-fi, military, and philosophy all in one. McQueen is the ideal Marine, yet he is discriminated against because of his origins. As a high school student hoping to become a Marine officer, I can tell you honestly right now that McQueen is who I hope to emulate: tough, yet compassionate to his subordinates, loyal to his cause, and unstoppably determined. If you want to know what I mean, watch the episode "Angriest Angel" to see James Morrison (actor who plays McQueen) - and the rest of the cast - at his best.

If I have any complaint about S:AAB, it is its lack of general accuracy. Aside from the very confusing chain of command, many things are being contradicted within the show. And with all the bases the 58th has to liberate, how come in the beginning they say that there was only one colony and one other being constructed? Do they mean civilian colonies, because the military seems to have a whole lot of colonies. And the addition of the "shadow company" of AeroTech just was uncalled for. Too "X-files"-sy. But I don't let these flaws affect my opinion of S:AAB. It is and always will be at least one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

One of the Best War Dramas made.

Author: thrawnkkar from California, USA
28 August 2004

Space Above and Beyond was and still is in my opinion one of the best war dramas ever made for TV. Really when you watch the show, you cant help but feel that this is a World War 2 show in space.

There is Racial discrimination (Tanks/Natural Borns, AI/Humans, Chigs/Humans) suffering and loss. Political coups and entanglements. Shadowy Corporations, Religion and its implications to a soldier and of course battles.

I think the main thing that brings SAaB down, is that many people feel that it should be compared to other Sci-Fi shows. I do not, and will never consider this a "Sci-Fi" show. Its a War Drama. I don't have to sit through a lecture on the Jefferys Tubes or why I cant exceed Warp 8. I know that these young soldiers need to do their best, and I am here to experience this. How their ships and guns work is a granted, a thing outside of notice. Do you have to learn how an M-16 works before watching Platoon? No. Its the Same with SAaB.

The acting I have to admit is kinda bad in the first 2 episodes. But the Actors AND writers both find their stride by 3 and it just continues to get better from there.

Of course the show was canceled and you can readily see this by the fact that around eps. 14-16 it goes from showing the war as being a long drawn out affair to we need to finish this in the next 10-8 episodes. Story lines are obviously cut out or shortened up. The reason the Aliens are fighting us, for example goes from what I'm sure was going to be a Season 4 or 5 reveal hits us around episode 20, and only gets a 4 line delivery.

For all that, I highly recommend this show, and ask all of you to please Mail FOX and ask them to release these treasures on DVD.

Why we liked it...

Author: wildcarrde from Massachusets
3 March 2006

I saw this in its first run in 1995-96 and was a huge fan. I used to look for it every week (because Fox moved constantly instead of letting it find an audience).

The premise of the show was fairly straightforward: Humanity begins reaching for the stars as technology has evolved, and we believe we are alone in the universe. Shortly after the first two human colonies are established, unknown beings from another planet attack and Earth is forced to muster defenses to fight an alien force.

But from there the plot diverges. Executive Producers Morgan and Wong take us on a season long journey that allows us to examine the military industrial complex, racism, drug addiction, political conspiracies, and attempt to answer the question "why we fight." The back drop is the war which is not a depicted as a "rah rah" atmosphere, but as one that is harsh and somewhat graphic in its depictions of the consequences of battle (see the episode "Stay With the Dead").

In sum, the show was innovative and tried to answer old questions in a new way. The good guys were not always good, and from the outset, the bad guys are not necessarily bad, nor are they all that different from us.

While the portrayal of the military required one to suspend disbelief, the overall product was done quite well...

One of my top ten.

An excellent sci-fi TV series

Author: morbelle from UK
14 March 2004

This was a fantastic little sci-fi series. It pioneered the use of CGI on TV shows. It had some great acting from all the leads and relied heavily on parallels with WW2. Created by James Wong and Glen Morgan (of X-Files fame) it draws parallels with the X-Files in terms of lighting and story. The idea of the entire war between Humans and Chigs being an entire corporate plot is classic X-Files. The story-lines are compelling and the graphics are great. It's great for WW2 enthusiasts as a lot of military history is used in the story. It's great for Sci-fi enthusiasts as the sets and story are great. It's just great period! I only wish another season had been commissioned because this is great viewing. Here's hoping a DVD release will soon be forthcoming.

One of the best Sci Fi shows I've ever seen

Author: Shohmyoh from Canada
16 February 2000

Space Above and Beyond was a great show I'll admit I didn't watch in when it was first on mainly because it kept getting moved around for football and the super bowl and stuff. Unlike shows like star trek this show was completely about war so practically every episode had flashy effects, big explosions, and enough action that is lacking in practically every TV show now. The view of the future was very different from what we've been fed. Humans don't fight with lasers in this, the ships aren't always well lit, and we aren't politically correct towards the enemy. Now I can only watch repeats on Space and always think once and a while `Why did Fox cancel this show.'

Pretty Sweet Show

Author: mereel77 from United States
21 May 2005

This was a show that, while sometimes rough around the edges, had a damn good heart at its core. Space: A+B was not Star Trek, where the phasers are set to stun. Nope, it was World War 2, but in space, and the enemy was nastier than any Nazi could ever hope to be.

The weakest part of the show was definitely the ground combat sequences. The actors carried around those HUGE assault rifles, but I always got the feeling those weapons were about as lethal as a bunch of souped-up BB guns.

Everything else about the show rocked, however. Who can forget Chiggy-Von-Richtoven from the episode "Angriest Angle?" Or Col. McQueen's monologue at the end of that episode? This was a serious show about a serious war. Good stuff.

"Abandon all hope MY ASS!"

Magic - Bring it back

Author: xmyles from United Kingdom
12 February 2006

If there is justice a 2nd series would be in the planning stages, you'd think everyones preoccupation with war recently and S:AaB 'Vietnam' like scenario would fit in very nicely.

If you can remake Battlestar Galactica, then someone rake together a few quid to fund this beauty of a series. Liked not seeing much of the enemy race till right into the series, and OK the CG of the space battles where a little rough round the edges, but to think of how so many other Space Ship gun fight series have now got it just right - that could probably get sorted nowadays.

Great cast of reasonably unknown actors too, it was good to see Mr Robinson (aka in Neighbours) get some work even if he was to die 5 Min's in. All i have to do now is wait for a UK DVD release and sit and hope people get back into it again.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]