IMDb > "Neon Genesis Evangelion" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Shin Seiki Evangerion"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Neon Genesis Evangelion" More at IMDbPro »"Shin Seiki Evangerion" (original title)

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The most controversial, talked about, and yes, impressive anime series ever...

Author: Arnold Kim from Tenafly, New Jersey
16 March 2000

Well, what can I say about a series that's as absolutely mind-blowing as the 26 episodes and two movies that make up Neon Genesis Evangelion? This is, quite simply, a masterpiece. What starts out as a simple "save the world" mecha story evolves into a shocking and powerful psychological drama full of conspiracy, dysfunctional characters, and some of the most harrowingly emotional and painful fight scenes ever. Don't let the first several episodes fool you- they're entertaining enough, but the power of the series remains hidden.

When I popped in the first video, I was excited to see a new anime, but otherwise pretty relaxed. By the end of episode 18 or so, my heart was racing, and I was nearly in tears. It never let up after that. This is not just an anime. This is an experience.

More than a feeling

Author: ttornak
31 July 2005

I'm not an anime fan. I tried this because of the reviews it gathered and after watching this I checked out other anime-titles. I couldn't have been more disappointed. No other anime even tried to approach the quality of this series.

The series start off simple enough. A boy is 'chosen' to fight big monsters in a robot. However, the monsters seem to be less important than the troubles the people face fighting them.

Although Shinji is no coward by any standard, he's a very troubled person. He hates himself and his father. He needs people around him but they are a constant source of pain. He's a loner, but he doesn't like it much.

Not a single major character is one-dimensional. Rei is a bit of an enigma, but you could imagine how this very intelligent girl would develop into someone resembling Ritsuko. Asuka is the brass, loud and overconfident girl who's smarter than she appears. Misato seems to be an emotional shut-in but she tries to enjoy life to the fullest. Ritsuko seems perfect at first, an intelligent career woman who's reliable and self-sufficient. And definitely last is Gendo, the commander : cold and focused, dealing with the threat as well as the constant verbal attacks of the Seele-members. Any major character could be analyzed as they grow throughout the series.

The first 15 episodes could be considered semi-light fare. Enjoyable and although there are several hints dropped along the way, nothing really gets out of hand too far. The series grow however, and after the 15th episode, the masks are taken off one by one, and it's not a pretty sight.

By the end of it all, the series have asked immortal questions like what are we, why are we here and is life worth all the pain that goes with it. For once these questions don't sound trite as the characters have a very good reason for asking.

Disturbing through the fate and behaviour of it's protagonists, stripping away all illusions about what men are and the horrors we are capable of, the series still manage to retain sympathy for it's characters and a spark of hope for mankind.

The series are not perfect. There's some fan-service,corny moments and situations that don't seem logical, especially in the first part of the series. But the many layers and genuine characters more than make up for it. In this case, the endresult outweigh the sum of it's part tremendously.

There are 101 reasons why the series have become how they are now. Production problems (time and money), Hidalgo's personal situation, the fans, the critics and so on. You can find socio-economic, theological and psychological analysis of this work. All very well written, interesting and equally valid. Whatever interests you, this series can make you think and hopefully feel.

I've only given 3 movies a 10. This is one of them. The rating is for the series+the movie. Powerful and unique.

Greatest Achievement in Audio/Visual Entertainment

Author: xstrongmenalsocryx from Philadelphia, PA
3 July 2004

Whether you enjoy the world of anime or not this is an experience you must have before you die. Nothing else in the world is like it. For the sake of your personal experience I cannot tell you much about it and here's why. The first 20 some episodes you are immersed in the semi-futuristic world of Tokyo 3 and the characters are developed beautifully, some of the best character development I've ever witnessed. You get a very very good feel for the world and the situation they live in, only to have that blown away in the final episodes. Please for the sake of yourself watch this, from the start, you will not regret it.

Hideaki Anno has conceived of a story more important to my life than any other.

Hideaki Anno is pure genius.

Anime with a twist.

Author: bodycry from United States
25 March 2005

The Evangelion series is based on some of Sigmund Freuds non discussed theories and banned portions of the Bible that the mainstream do not know about but are well documented. The series points out what the original Bible does, shows the dualities we face in life whereas the homogenized version of the bible(new testament) would have you believe in a more monotheistic point of view. The mention of Lillith in this series which is Adams real first wife in the Bible not Eve as the newer versions of the bible would have you believe. Its hard to comprehend some portions of this Anime series without knowing a little about the unknown portions of the Bible such as the mentioning of Lillth and the Angels and Eva's. The Eva's are humankinds attempt at making the Angels which in the bible fell from heaven. The angels in this interpretation are trying to destroy mankind instead of eating them like in the original bible transcripts(Same idea). This series is a great interpretation of a lot of unknown aspects of the Bible and throwing in a little Freud and some elements of B.F. Skinners take on behaviours(such as the Absolute Terror Field which is created by children without a strong Female in their life,usually males Frued states abused children can create an AT barrier to keep others away)(Hypotheticaly but in this series it visually appears as a shield or as an attack weapon as in the knife). On the outside this is a great animated movie by studio Gainax/ studio I.G. but when your dwelve into the actual plot of is so beautifully orchestrated chaos. The game Xenogears was loosely based off this anime although more on the Psych aspect. This series has yet to be matched by any anime. I caught wind of this anime since I'm a big fan of MacrossPlus. I've been an anime fan since my pops went to Japan in the early 80s and always had awesome Mecha toys when he came back. This is a series you cannot passup. Rent them or buy them but take an entire day because you'll want to just watch the entire series all the way thru, its that good.

Beautiful

Author: MARVELMANIAC69
21 January 2005

My Mother bought me the boxset off this that ADV released as a Christmas present last year and I must say I felt like bowing to me saying giving her a thousand thank you's.

This is the best show ever created, the characters are so lovable and their backgrounds are so depressing, this is how all anime's should be made that try to make statements that psychologicly screw you up and keep you glued to the screen, breath taken.

This show starts off on quite a light level and by the end you'll be broken down in tears, and really makes you think about life.

This is a classic in anime.

10 out of 10

This is not an anime, it's THE anime.

Author: Ricardo-36 from São Paulo, Brazil
29 December 2000

What can I say about the most perfect anime ever created? What can I say about Shinji, the most complex character ever created?

Evangelion begins like an action sci-fi anime, like Akira. It has everything: humor, drama, action, great soundtrack. Great fun! But then you watch episode 24... and WOW!

The 3 last episodes are the most perfect writen anime episodes ever. Yeah, some people don't understand it. Some people don't like it. But that's because those 3 episodes are about 1000 years ahead of our time. For the very first time you get inside a character's mind, you understand his problems and his fears. Yeah it's disturbing some times, but isn't real life disturbing?

It doesn't matter if you like animes or not, WATCH THIS! But watch from the beginning, or else you will not recieve the final message from episode 26. I'm sure that you will love Evangelion!

This is real MUST SEE TV!

Author: washuu
13 December 1998

This is quite possibly the best fantasy ever devised on the face of the planet. It has large unique mecca, nifty technology, emotional byplay, philosophical questions, great characters, unique music, great artwork... you name it it's got it. If you love anime watch it! If you hate anime watch it! Be warned though it looks deceptively simple at first. To get its full effect you must be willing to watch the entire series.

Anime at its best.

Author: (soulcharmer) from Brno, Czech Rep.
27 January 2005

Evangelion blows your mind. First few episodes may seem like regular giant-robot-post-apocalyptic nonsense for kiddies but soon it begins to unmask itself. The background story is very complicated and not every detail of it is ever revealed. Characters are developed more than in many regular movies out there. Simply lovable.

The show can feel ultimately silly, weird, technologically naive, even insane. But it has a purpose - you shall experience every mood and emotion thinkable over the episodes. Pure originality seeps out of the series all the time. But it's all just the beginning. The real weirdness, packed with substance nonetheless, comes in the last three episodes. No matter how you will anticipate the story would end, it won't be anywhere near the real conclusion. I can't describe it without spoiling it. Evangelion just blows your mind.

Despite its flaws, this is a great series

Author: Talkov from Russia
4 February 2006

Although Eva begins like almost any mech anime series, it quickly transcends the traditional bounds typical of such anime and becomes a fascinating piece of character study in an apocalyptic setting. While the action is sometimes excessive and often takes away from the psychological aspect, the premise itself is quite fascinating.

Eva heavily borrows from various religious dogma, and that is one of the reason it has a mystical, albeit often nonsensical atmosphere (Lance of Longinus is an example of religious allegory which misfired). Lots of time is spent on various pseudo-technological scenes, the only good thing about that being that it nicely contrasts with the religious thematics. "Fan Service" was also mostly unnecessary.

Overall, Eva is a fascinating anime but does not fulfill all of its potential. The characters, although are fascinating and have great interaction, are static (although the writers try to make them seem dynamic) and their emotional makeup sometimes does not smoothly flow from episodes to episodes.

Nonetheless, despite its flaws, this is a great series. It grabs onto the viewer like few others, and only later can be analyzed without bias. Saying that it is thought-provoking would be an understatement. Everyday life is beautifully juxtaposed with the apocalyptic motifs, creating a nostalgic feel (which is especially worthy of praise because the anime takes place in the future). It is vague yet involving, impressionist in the sense that it affects the viewer like no other. Great musical score raises it above many others. Although a detailed unbiased analysis may show multiple flaws in various areas, as a whole Evangelion is amazing. Recommended to anyone who can appreciate art as a whole without looking too much into specific details, and is involving even after multiple viewings.

A piece of psychodrama.

Author: Zethia
7 February 2004

-Spoilers are included.-

I don't know much about Animes, but this one is just unique and extraordinary. the plot is apocalyptic and there are abstractly profound scenes, such as Sinji's instable psychological state occasionally gets into. NGE places Biblical metaphors, Jewish myths, as characters and the whole plot's symbolism throughout. and there is Kierkegaard's notion about 'three stages of the human existence', similar with 'three impacts on the earth'. even the episode 16 has a Japanese title that exactly means one of his writing, 'the sickness unto death'.

Kierkegaard, who is Danish solifidian existential philosopher, said every human unconsciously have the anxiety and the despair because we don't know what we should do, where we came from, where we were meant to be gone, in the middle of the world, with plenty of other lives, the losing the purpose of the life and God(liken to Sinji's father, Asuka's mother)'s love. and after all, we suffer the despair, the same thing that Sinji undergoes. and K' refers to the human existence in the form of three stages, composed with the aesthetic, the ethical and the religious, also similar with 'three impacts' or 'three cases' in the episode 25, 26.

He argues, that most important other than anything, all of these ego-improvement process, is have to be done only by the an individual's free will, not by others', deep awakening in frond of God by the own will is needed to do overcome the sickness unto death as Sinji finally completes.

Meanwhile, an individual never can't understand perfectly the others as the ego and the other self, the other's view on an individual's ego, are totally different. so Sinji and Rei suffer the loneliness from this, which makes us to got conflicts, killings, wars all over the world endlessly. but if our bodies and spirits put together, we could evolve to understand every the other's thing in the state, can't possibly define whether it's 'we' or just alone. Seele want humanity to be one under the 'human completion plan'. this kind of notion is associated with Husserl, Heidegger, and Sartre's philosophical theory.

Anyway, I won't enumerate it more. overall, this animation doesn't explain/clear a thing. the scenario is hard to follow if you didn't see it very carefully. only I can say about this Anime is surely odd, exquisite as well. and I'm sure the director is someone like Japanese Stanley Kubrick. he gave me a serious headache.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]