IMDb > "Ned and Stacey" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Ned and Stacey"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Ned and Stacey" More at IMDbPro »

Will & Gracey, but better

Author: JZvezda
11 March 2003

Greg Germann stole this show, not unlike his efforts on "Ally McBeal". Debra Messing was far less annoying here than she currently is on "that show". Thomas Hayden Church was sublime as the me-centered womanizer he illuminated with "Ned".

I do a polka of disgust when clever, acerbic comedies like "Ned & Stacey" meet an untimely death and crud like "Yes Dear" & "Good Morning Miami" live on. Tis a travesty.

This delightfully original series lived a micro-short life in syndication, but your chances these days of seeing it are about as likely as seeing a sequel to "Rabbit Test". It's a low down crying shame. First "Herman's Head", now this.

The verdict has been delivered by broadcast TV: Strip it of life, dress it up, make it palpable for the masses, and viola! Hit.

Long live "Ned & Stacey". R.I.P.

One of my favorites!

Author: Brett_Buck from Sunnyvale CA
21 October 2002

Ned and Stacey is the hetero version of "Will and Grace". Except it's actually funny. The premise is virtually identical, platonic co-habitation, the roles are virtually the same. Everything is played for laughs, no serious undercurrents, no position to take; just go for the joke. Neds self-absorption, Stacey's contempt for Ned, Amanda's contempt for humanity, Eric's sad-sack befuddlement, it all just works. They did an entire show about the down-on-his-luck Mr. Beveldere, for God's sake! Any real TV fan has to admire that.

I can only imagine that the show was killed only because Thomas Hayden Church was just too far over the top for most people. I thought he was great but everyone I talk to absolutely *hated* him. But slap in Eric McCormack (who is undoubtedly a better actor, just too understated to really be funny), slap on a gay aspect to get some press and make it look like a different show, and problem solved.

Witty TV show with style

Author: gypsyvamp from Seattle, WA
13 January 2003

I miss this show! Thomas Haden Church was always funny as Lowell on "Wings", and proved his talent even further on "Ned and Stacey". It was also no surprise to see Debra Messing go on to such success as Grace, of "Will and Grace". Thomas Haden Church's character, Ned, had the best wardrobe ever on T.V.! The dialogue was intelligent and witty. The premise, though contrived, was more believable than most sit-coms. I would like to see this show released on DVD, and I would really like to see Church in another show.

Fun show

Author: jmatrixrenegade (jmatrixrenegade@aol.com) from NYC
1 August 2003

Thomas Haden Church, sorta playing the smart evil twin of his character on "Wings" and Debra Messing, basically preparing for her role as Grace, was a good pair on this comedy. It only lasted for about two years, but it was a superior product, and had that fun edge that many shows these days only strive for.

The show that made people take notice of Debra Messing.

Author: Brian-272 from Oakwood, Virginia USA
31 May 2001

"Ned and Stacey" the show that had Debra Messing as a uppity business woman who to help a business man (Thomas Haden Church) get a promotion while she (Messing) needed a life, so up and both got married. The life of both Ned and Stacey was turned crazy this show had some of the funniest moments not only from Debra Messing and Thomas Haden Church but the other characters and guest gave great performances. This is the show that showed just how much talent that Debra Messing had she was very sexy in this series. "Ned and Stacey" used to air on mornings on the USA network because I watched many episodes of it all last year. This series is worth a watch it should have lasted longer.

Good show

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
22 April 2000

Ned and Stacey was a good show. There was clever and well writing. The cast was great, most notably Thomas Haden Church (Lowell from Wings). There were a lot of great gags that fit in perfect with this show. It's a shame the show was so short lived. Would I recommend this show? Yes. Catch the reruns on the USA Network.

Plucked the first season DVD out of the dollar bin, what fun! It's cute and clever

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
16 April 2012

Ned (Thomas Haden Church) has a terrific job as an ad executive in Manhattan. But, alas, the big boss tells him that he can't promote him further up the ladder until he's a stable family man, with a wife. This is not what Ned wants to hear. Also working at the agency is accountant Eric (Greg Germann) who is married to the lovely but catty Amanda (Nadia Dajani). The two wedded folks decide to fix Ned up with Amanda's sister, Stacey (Debra Messing), a writer for a newspaper called the Soho News. The blind date, dinner for both couples, doesn't go well, as the ad man and the journalist are polar opposites. Not long after, Stacy sees one of Ned's ads and realizes he "stole" an idea she had thrown out in casual conversation. Miffed, Stacey heads to Ned's apartment, to tell him off. But, wait, Ned's digs, which he inherited from an alzheimers stricken aunt, is gorgeous and Stacey longs to get away from bunking with her parents. What if, she proposes, ha ha, to Ned, we get married, in name only? Neddie could get his promotion and Stacey could get her own room in a beautiful, well-situated apartment? It's a go! But, from day one, bickering goes back and forth, making everyone, including Eric and Amanda, wonder if the marriage will last. Then, too, just what are the ground rules about the twosome's romantic life? This series, which I probably missed from working two nights a week for years, is a delight. Church was fresh off his stint on Wings and Messing hadn't found stardom as part of Will and Grace but the duo works beautifully together. Church's dry wit and Messing's zaniness make for a very nice romantic comedy show. German and Dajani are also very funny and deft, as are the other supporting actors. In addition, Ned's apartment is quite glamorous, as are the costumes and alternate sets. Nice, too, is the script and timely direction. All fans of mixed-matched romantic love tales should try to add this one to their collections.

Better than Will & Grace!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
22 April 2007

I loved Thomas Hayden Church here as Ned and I prefer Debra Messing here as Stacey than Grace. I think this show could have been a bigger hit if the network allowed it to grow. The premise was silly but somehow Church and Messing made it work even if only for two seasons. Church left his beloved role on Wings to pursue his own sitcom. The comparison between the two roles is noteworthy for any aspiring actor. Here, Ned is intelligent and lot less naive. He marries Stacey to get a promotion and she marries him to live in a grand New York City apartment. What won't people do to live in Manhattan? At first, there is this friction and uncomfortableness but slowly they turn out to be in love and if only love was really like that. The show was heading in the direction that Ned and Stacey were going from being a fax pas couple to an actual duo. Too bad, the network canceled it. Of course, Church has moved on to other things and Messing will always be known as Grace but I much prefer her here as Stacey.

I Love Ned and Stacey!!!

Author: AngeFatoh from Maine
28 June 2001

Ned and Stacey is my favorite show! There's nothing better then Ned, Stacey, Amanda and Eric to brighten up a dull day! Ned and Amanda are my favorite characters. I love their wit and sarcasm, especially when they argue over the muffin shop. Of course, my favorite episode is the now classic "Loganberry's Run" where Ned tries to introduce the bizarre loganberry muffin to the Amanda's Amuffins menu. Throughout the episode, he obsesses over the muffin and tries to convince Amanda to make it in every way he can. I'm very depressed over the fact that this show didn't last as long as it should have. Thomas Haden Church is an excellent actor, so excellent in fact that I have developed a crush on him. I love Ned Dorsey!

An absolute FOX classic!

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
20 August 2008

"NED AND STACEY," in my opinion, is an absolute FOX classic! I haven't seen every episode, but I still enjoyed it. It's hard to say which episode was my favorite. However, I think it was always funny when a mishap occurred. I always laughed at that. Despite the fact that it was a short-lived series, it would have been nice if all the main characters had stayed with the show throughout its entire run. It seems that no one stays with a show throughout its entire run. Everyone always gave a good performance, the production design was spectacular, the costumes were well-designed, and the writing was always very strong. In conclusion, I hope someone brings it back on the air for fans of the show to see.