IMDb > "Murder One" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Murder One"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Murder One" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

THE BEST COURT ROOM DRAMA TO HIT OUR SCREENS!

Author: bss-3 (bss@4t49.fsnet.co.uk) from ENGLAND
22 November 2000

This was a cracking series and has never been repeated on British Television. I know it started to fail in the US ratings, but the producers kept going. Brilliant, and I am trying hard to find VHS or DVD copies of both series, the first prefered. It was clever, twisting and turning, but we all knew. Didn't we? This was quality at its very best. Why do we now have to put up with Trash TV. There really are many viewers that need the 'grey matter' to work overtime. Anyone know of copies, or where to obtain, please contact.

Brian Saunders Coventry U.K.

The best, next to the first season of NYPD Blue.

Author: (cspittel@hotmail.com) from B.C., Canada
7 September 2000

Hello all. I agree and augment the already glowing reviews and positive compliments and comments of this show. The story and characters are both intelligent and believable, the red herrings will also throw you for a loop (I remember when the show first aired there was an official internet Murder One website which took a poll as to who the people thought the killer was, and trust me the percentage that got it right was minimal (I believe 2%))! Whoever did the casting did a hell of a job, the actors fit there respective rolls like a glove, I know the two actors who get the highest praise are the ones who played Hoffman and Cross. But I'd also like to take a hat's off to assitant district attorney Miriam Grasso and although a smaller roll I really liked Dylan Baker as the by the numbers L.A. Detective (I hope he plays another good cop sometime soon, I was impressed.) The story and plot were full of twists and suspense and the characters (most) were well educated and articulate (I actually improved and increased my vocabulary watching the show!). Although I have to say I wasn't very impressed with the second season, the fact that Ted Hoffman wasn't present didn't help, it just seemed like quality was sacrificed for some kind of rush job to get a story and plot out (actually multiple plots) to ride the sucess and reputation of the first season. Granted, there were some moments but it didn't even measure up to a quarter of the quality of the first season, you could tell the first season's writing and production took more time and effort and thought. Someone mentioned in one of the previous reviews that they didn't know the origin of the first season's story, well I can tell you this much I saw Steven Bocho on Larry King and he said the idea or story line came from an unused idea for L.A. Law when that was on the air. Hopefully the syndication of Murder One's first season will spark enough ratings and fan mail to give Steven Bocho enough incentive to produce if not another Murder One a show and well written storyline and characters like Murder One. P.S. Please encourage your friends and family to watch Murder One (last time I checked it was on A&E)!

Jury Selection

Author: wesw15 (wesw15@yahoo.com) from Frankfort, KY
16 August 2000

I was impressed with the jury selection episodes of the show. Although there have been many other trial television shows, this was the first to explore this aspect of a case in this depth, and it was riveting.

One of, if not the, greatest dramas in the history of TV

Author: Joe Zeccola (bronxbomber23@earthlink.net) from Los Angeles
30 June 2000

I can't use enough words to describe how much I loved Murder One. I sat riveted, week after week, watching the story unfold. But for me, the first season was the only season and Daniel Benzali is the reason for this. His portrayal of Ted Hoffman helped to create (With the equally amazing writing) one of the greatest characters I have ever seen. Benzali could pull off lines that would seem too idealistic or cliched coming out of any other actor's mouth--he brought a Shakespearean size to the screen. And watching a character with that kind of heart and integrity navigate his way through the world was an amazing experience. It was a moral show, and the character of Ted Hoffman was the compass. It was literally like going to church one night a week.

The acting was fantastic all around. Stanley Tucci's Richard Cross was a perfect antagonist for Benzali, charming yet deadly. All of the other supporting actors, especially Mary McCormack and John Fleck were great as well--layered and believable. And the writing, as I said, was truly as good as any in TV history.

It's great to see that A & E is finally re-running this show!! I hope it keeps running for years to come so that more people can appreciate what they missed out on the first time around.

So sophisticated

Author: bokske (baeck@us.ibm.com) from Antwerp, Belgium
8 March 2000

I was addicted to this show when it aired in Europe. It had a stunning plot line that would keep you on the edge of your seat every single episode. But most of all, I appreciated its style. It featured tense, under acted dialogue and an unprecedented visual flair. Personally, I thought the 2nd season was less authentic than the first, because it lacked the asset of the Ted Hoffman character, and it used shorter storylines. But I enjoyed every minute I ever got to see of this show anyhow.

It was exquisite television.

The memorable jury selection episode

Author: Parker Lewis from United States
9 March 2016

I was a big fan of season 1, and for me the jury selection episode really stuck out. Here you had the defence team running out of juror challenges and they had a last ditched attempt to have the judge bar a juror based on views unsupportive to their client.

All credit to the writers and editors (and the director and actors of course!) for making this episode very suspenseful, even though there was no action (car chases, buildings blown up, punch-ups, etc). It was pure suspense as to whether the juror would be barred from the jury.

I hope that maybe Netflix can reboot Murder One, given that 24 is a series that sort of adopted a similar premise.

Great show, but ran outta steam...

Author: Gislef from Iowa City, IA
30 October 2000

Initially a great show, although it essentially it boiled down to a battle of wits between defense attorney Ted Hoffman and the "villainous" Richard Cross. The weekly dynamic of these two in the show, along with a challenging legal case, made for must-see TV. There were slow parts when they decided to throw in the Subplot-B of the week early-on, but that was soon ditched. Recurring guest roles from Barbara Bossom, Joe Spano and Dylan Baker helped considerably.

Unfortunately, the inexplicable departure of Daniel Benzali lead to a downhill trend for the show. Anthony La Paglia vs. Ralph Waite (Ralph Waite??) just never had the same dynamic. Waite's character was just sheer evil, and the rivalry between him and the Wylers (including Eileen Heckart in an unlikeable role as Mrs. Wyler) never did quite ring true. Waite's Dietrich was just evil, with none of the subtleties of Tucci's Richard Cross. The idea of a district attorney turning to private practice might have been interesting, but they explored the idea only sporadically and amateurishly (like the cops running Wyler in on a speeding ticket). Paglia's Wyler seemed to end up in bed with the women, but he was nothing on the charisma and sexual allure of Benzali's Hoffman.

The rest of the law firm never really seemed to grow beyond L.A. Law soap-operaish dynamics, and the second-season scene where Christine confesses she has a crush on Wyler is a LOL scene.

It's a pity the show didn't continue, because even with the second-season slide it was still more cleverly written then 90% of television. But such was not to be. Oh well...

Bochco strikes again with more of the same high power drama. This time there is not much comedy.

Author: policy134 from Denmark
6 August 2005

Steven Bochco, one of the 80's most influential TV producers steps into the 90's. First, he made NYPD Blue and later this serial involving a sensationalist trial where a famous actor is tried for murder, hence the title.

It is funny to think that Bochco is still doing these shows because they are merely revisions of his earlier shows like Hill Street Blues and L.A. Law. When the show was advertised it was supposed to be something different and because televised trials involving celebrities like O.J. Simpson was deep in the public's mind, the fictionalized show was supposed to strike a chord too.

It didn't do it for me. Although, the first two episodes of the first serial, involving Teddy Hoffman, was fascinating, it quickly became tedious to watch because everything had been seen before on L.A. Law, only not with so many details involving one trial.

The second serial was a bit better because the replacement for Teddy Hoffman, who was quite a bore, was a lawyer played by Aussie-Italian Anthony LaPaglia. This was before he blew up like a balloon and his character was more interesting because he got romantically involved with one of his co-workers. The case he was handling was more simple but that made it something I could better relate to. The only thing this show needed now was better supporting characters but you can't have everything so this show was soon canceled. Too much of a good thing I suppose.

Agree Completely

Author: Rick Blaine from London
8 June 2000

Agree completely with my colleagues above and elsewhere.

I do not know the history of this show, or know much about it not being watched stateside, but of all the series made by SB except perhaps for Hill St this is the one, epic in proportions compared to the rest.

What is a shame over here, as the locals air reruns yet again, is that the credits are hidden by subtitles.

Stories run over several episodes and overlap. Ordinarily a single story will stretch most of a half year season. All the work is excellent. The best part of this series, in my opinion, is what I think is 'year two' with Anthony LaPaglia in the lead.

If you like top class TV shows give this one a miss

Author: kevin-worley (kevin.worley@halliburton.com) from Middlesbrough England
12 October 2004

This has to be one of the most contrived , pretentious and wooden TV series to hit the DVD list in a long time. The acting is wooden, the plot lines and twists ridiculous, and the script is an abject lesson of scriptwriters swallowing a dictionary. This series is aimed at consumers who buy excellent series like The Sopranos and The West Wing, don't be tempted it is an absolute dog! It is hardly surprising that apart from a few examples most of the actors disappeared without trace. The only good thing I can say is that Bobbie Phillips, later to star in Chameleon is an extremely good looking woman.

Note to the wardrobe dept of the above, get clothes that actually fit the actors.

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]