IMDb > "Murder One" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Murder One"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Murder One" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The court drama of all time

Author: mmochal23 from Poland
29 July 2008

"Murder One" - season 1 is definitely the best court drama I have ever seen and trust me, I saw a lot cause I like this genre. In season 1 a very complicated yet coherent and told in a thrilling way story goes hand in hand with superb acting. I absolutely loved every bit of this show. What about the second season? Well, that's probably a bit 'unprofessional' of me but I simply refuse to admit it exists. Not after the formula was changed and quite a few characters dropped. I like to imagine what could have happened after closing the case presented in season 1. I recommend this show to everybody. I first watched season 1 on TV when I was maybe 15 years old. I've re-watched it recently on DVD (I had to import it because God knows why it's not available in Poland) when I'm nearly 30 and loved it exactly the same.

It had so much promise!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
24 May 2008

Murder One only came to my attention because my professor mentioned it in class. It was quite a smart series but I think it lost my interest after the first season. It was based solely on one case. I thought Mary McCormack was brilliant as Justine Appleton, the young promising lawyer. Daniel Benzali was magnificent as the balding lead attorney and Patricia Clarkson was also splendid to watch as his understanding wife. The second season followed with Anthony LaPaglia in the leading attorney role and Oscar Winner Eileen Heckart as his mother. The story was not much different about proving the innocence of the client. The show had Bochco's prints all over it like trying to revive L.A. Law's claim in the legal drama. The show did not gain the same appeal and apparently it was canceled after 2 seasons by the network which seemed focused on other shows rather than the quality of this show.

The best performance ever from a Venetian blind

Author: lucy-19 from London
1 February 2008

Objection! Overruled! Can we take a sidebar? I love American courtroom dramas. Just rewatching the first series on DVD - at last. The show would never be made this way today. No hand-held cam? No high speed editing? No rushing down corridors? What we've lost! I love the way Daniel Benzali sits on a leather sofa, his head in the middle of the shot, against those Venetian blinds (it was their best work), and sits there utterly unmoving - and TALKS! Sidney Greenstreet in the Maltese Falcon? Just a touch. Then I'm the only one in the wide, sweet world... The "cell door slams shut" noises were stolen by the BBC's recent Bleak House. And if you don't have your head silhouetted against the blinds, they cast their shadow on the floor. Like prison bars, don't you know. I love it! I love it! I love them all, especially the gay secretary.

Amazing

Author: (DeanoW13@aol.com) from Lincolnshire, England
13 July 2004

I watched this on T.V years ago and it has only been shown once in the U.K. I loved every minute and couldn't wait for the next episode every week. I was addicted to it. I only wish as many others do that they release it on D.V.D or even VHS. I have checked amazon regularly and would appreciate it if anybody knows where its possible to purchase it. They released the soundtrack but not the series. I have many friends searching for it.I was a fan of LA LAW the first series and as with Murder one I think they ruined it with the rest of them. Murder one part two was not as good as Daniel Benzali was not the main character. You didn't have the dark and dodgy wealthy business man in the form of Richard Cross. His part was amazing and was acted brilliantly. I also didn't realize that Anthony Laplaglia was in it. Another great show with A.Laplaglia was and is Without a trace by "Bruckheimer" (sorry if the spellings wrong) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE release the show on DVD or VHS thankyou.

Great series - why no release on DVD?

Author: net_virgin from England
25 February 2003

The first series was fantastic, and the second series series still pretty good. Unfortunately despite great talent it seems they could not replicate the immense suspense and talent from Daniel Benzali and Stanley Tucci that was in the first show.Don't get me wrong, I think Anthony LaPaglia, was very good - and is a great actor - but unfortunately the second series did not live up to the sheer jaw-droppingness of the first.

It is an utter shame that great TV series such of this get cancelled, and even now with the medium of DVDs are not being released for fans to keep.

As miniseries go (I think this is how this is technically listed), this has to be one of the best - personally rating the original V and first series of 24 up there as well (have not seen second yet); both of which are available on DVD.

Definitely worth a watch if you can find somewhere repeating it, or can convince a studio to release a dvd version :)

One of the best of the 90s

Author: JustABill from New Jersey
19 December 2002

This show was one of the BEST of the 90s, along with Law And Order. It's a shame that ABC put it up against ER on NBC. Also, the cast change in season two seemed to hurt.

If the reruns ever come back to A & E....DON'T miss it.

The Best

Author: stuart bannerman from Manchester, England
30 April 2001

This series has to be one of the best series that has ever been created for television. Yet it was cancelled. Why? Too intelligent for most people i guess. It took 24 episodes to tell a story and what a great story it told. The characters were amazing and so real. And the second season wasnt far behind the great heights that season one assended too. If there is any justice in TV land (and i dont think there is) then people will beg on there hands and knees to Steven Bochco's office for another series of Murder One. And the sooner it comes out in some nicely packaged DVD box set, the sooner i shall smile.

THE BEST COURT ROOM DRAMA TO HIT OUR SCREENS!

Author: bss-3 (bss@4t49.fsnet.co.uk) from ENGLAND
22 November 2000

This was a cracking series and has never been repeated on British Television. I know it started to fail in the US ratings, but the producers kept going. Brilliant, and I am trying hard to find VHS or DVD copies of both series, the first prefered. It was clever, twisting and turning, but we all knew. Didn't we? This was quality at its very best. Why do we now have to put up with Trash TV. There really are many viewers that need the 'grey matter' to work overtime. Anyone know of copies, or where to obtain, please contact.

Brian Saunders Coventry U.K.

The best, next to the first season of NYPD Blue.

Author: (cspittel@hotmail.com) from B.C., Canada
7 September 2000

Hello all. I agree and augment the already glowing reviews and positive compliments and comments of this show. The story and characters are both intelligent and believable, the red herrings will also throw you for a loop (I remember when the show first aired there was an official internet Murder One website which took a poll as to who the people thought the killer was, and trust me the percentage that got it right was minimal (I believe 2%))! Whoever did the casting did a hell of a job, the actors fit there respective rolls like a glove, I know the two actors who get the highest praise are the ones who played Hoffman and Cross. But I'd also like to take a hat's off to assitant district attorney Miriam Grasso and although a smaller roll I really liked Dylan Baker as the by the numbers L.A. Detective (I hope he plays another good cop sometime soon, I was impressed.) The story and plot were full of twists and suspense and the characters (most) were well educated and articulate (I actually improved and increased my vocabulary watching the show!). Although I have to say I wasn't very impressed with the second season, the fact that Ted Hoffman wasn't present didn't help, it just seemed like quality was sacrificed for some kind of rush job to get a story and plot out (actually multiple plots) to ride the sucess and reputation of the first season. Granted, there were some moments but it didn't even measure up to a quarter of the quality of the first season, you could tell the first season's writing and production took more time and effort and thought. Someone mentioned in one of the previous reviews that they didn't know the origin of the first season's story, well I can tell you this much I saw Steven Bocho on Larry King and he said the idea or story line came from an unused idea for L.A. Law when that was on the air. Hopefully the syndication of Murder One's first season will spark enough ratings and fan mail to give Steven Bocho enough incentive to produce if not another Murder One a show and well written storyline and characters like Murder One. P.S. Please encourage your friends and family to watch Murder One (last time I checked it was on A&E)!

Jury Selection

Author: wesw15 (wesw15@yahoo.com) from Frankfort, KY
16 August 2000

I was impressed with the jury selection episodes of the show. Although there have been many other trial television shows, this was the first to explore this aspect of a case in this depth, and it was riveting.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]