IMDb > "MADtv" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"MADtv"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"MADtv" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The origination cast was great

Author: lulany-422-298678
28 December 2012

I watched this show from the time it aired to the end of it's run with the original cast and it was terrific. I especially loved David Herman who never failed to make us laugh out loud with his spot on imitations and colorful characters. Later I tried watching the new cast and no matter how much I tried I could never get used to them because they simply could not compare to the original group. I just found the sketches boring and even cringe inducing. I gave the show a rating of 6 because the original cast made it a 9 in my view but unfortunately, the current cast and where the show headed afterward couldn't rate more than a 2 or 3 IMHO.

Unlike SNL, it's actually FUNNY

Author: n-mo from Paris, France
10 June 2012

They say that Saturday Night Live used to be a very bold, risqué, hilarious satirical piece. That was apparently back in the day before I was old enough to know the difference, because I can remember exactly ONE SNL sketch that was genuinely funny or that hit the mark with parody. (And it was the former, not the latter.)

MADtv, however, was another story altogether. Its appearance was quite propitious: 1995, right in the midst of that that idealistic Golden Ascendancy when Middle America was growing fatter and richer with its lower-class Playgirl Playmate in the White House, an exploding appetite for cheap outsourced consumer goods, the 90210-lifestyle poisoning teenagers' imaginations to the point of lethality, pop music about to produce its most horrific bunch ever in the form and/or image of the ex-Mousekateers... and no more good satire show that hit home just how HORRIFIC this all was!

Enter MADtv, which lampooned the peculiarities of 1990's and 2000's politics, lifestyles, habits, entertainment and everything else under the sun in America. Finding ripe targets was in itself pretty easy: in retrospect (though some certainly saw it even then and were laughed off as loonies, or worse, as John Birchers) it is difficult to argue that almost anything that went on politically, economically, socially or culturally in America during those decades was a *positive* development. (The lone exception might be the disappearance of 1980's hair styles and clothing.) But what made MADtv so brilliant was its unabashed sense of humor about just how ridiculous everything was.

Taken at face value, most of the parodies on MADtv are tastelessly vile, but even this aspect is so skillfully executed as to appear a subtle, genius commentary on the tastelessness and vileness of 90's and 00's American society. MADtv never rose to the prominence of SNL, and perhaps we ought to be thankful for that: MADtv never succumbed to the temptation to start taking itself seriously and trying to one-up the figures it sent up in their own fields.

Whether it's Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Bill O'Reilly, the Clintons, Oprah Winfrey... MADtv just hits to the heart of it all. At a time when the most ridiculous elements in America were becoming its most serious spokesmen, we had MADtv to show us the madness of it all. So sad so few listened, and so sad we no longer have it with us to help us laugh at how much worse it gets every day.

(Don't hate. Despite my location I grew up in the U.S. of A. and things are not much better over here...)

The Fox network's late night sketch comedy show that associates itself with Mad magazine

Author: talarisw from United States
22 October 2011

I love snl and no one can beat them as the kings of late night sketch comedy, however mad TV comes close!They did a great job at creating a show that had it's own style and not just a rip off of snl. Unlike snl there's no celebrity guest host(except in season 2) rare musical guest and is only an hour, while snl's an hour and a half. I love snl but let's be honest, there's always only those few sketches that standout, the rest are just OK or fillers. But with mad TV there's no fillers, every sketch is hilarious! That's because the show always focus more on it's cast then snl, mad is able to let lose a lot more. And this show lives up to it's name, mad, because the writers and cast of comedians seem to be out of their minds with stuff they come up with. I love their recurring characters, vancome lady,white momma,Debra,Sturat & his mom, Loraine, Mrs.Swan and ubs guy! The show has nothing really to do with mad magazine, but occailly seeing Alfred E. Newman, spy vs. spy and Don Martins is a nice addition to the show. They had a great cast over the years, Nicole Sullivan, Areis Spears, Bobby Lee, Will Sasso, Mo Collins, Debra Wilson, Micheal Mcdonald Nicole Parker, Phil Lamar Keagan Micheal Keagan and etc. I love the original theme song," You're so crazy, You drive me wild!" "You are now watching Mad TV!". I wish it wasn't canceled but it had a great 14 season run. No doubt a classic series for the Fox network, LONG LIVE MAD TV!

Somewhat underrated

Author: b_havag from Norway
13 January 2009

Mad-TV is a strange show. It ranges from some of the best comedic pieces you'll ever see, to the stuff that simply sucks. Anyway, I think most of the sketches is on the better half on the scale.

Therefore, I recommend it to be viewed on YouTube. There you can seek out the best of them, sketches that are absolutely hilarious, and easy 10/10. Keywords are "Stuart", "Bush Mad TV", "Nicole Parker", "VerbAlert" (Ron Pederson), "Man Up", "Kenny Rogers Jackass, Apprentice and Fear Factor", "Deal or no deal parody", "Sex and the City", "Clay Aiken", "Sprint Ringtones", "Steven Segal", "Arnold Schwarzenegger" and so much more. Many of these will have to be written with "Mad TV" as extra to find what you're looking for.

The best sketches are out there, there are many of them, and they are hilarious. Unfortunately, Mad TV has a significant number of bad comedy acts as well, and therefore I must give an 8/10 overall.

Mad TV Vs SNL Oh Puleeze!!

Author: griffenn69 from Chicago
16 November 2002

I keep seeing these comparisons between SNL and Mad TV. What are you all basing this on? Saturday Night Live hasn't had a cast for at least a decade and it doesn't seem like any writers for years before that. They've been limping along on the "talent" of lame fools like Adam Sandler and David Spade. And every year it just gets worse. On the other hand Mad TV is quirky. Some nights it's a riot, others it's just OK. The first few seasons it was the Nicole Sullivan and Debra Wilson Show with supporting characters. Now Nicole is gone and it's the Michael McDonald Show. He's good, but WAY overdone! Even Mad TV is losing the cutting edge that it started with, but it still has a long way to slide before it gets to the level of putting something on like "Opera Man".

Abominable On Every Level and Ultimately Unforgivable

Author: JohnLeeT from London
12 August 2014

An uninspired and creatively disastrous sketch comedy program that should have been canceled following its first horrendous season. Obviously an attempt to counter the superb Saturday Night Live, MADtv lacked on-screen talent of any consequence and writing that was hardly worthy of broadcast, even on this amateur level show. With uniformly unfunny cast members and humor that was rarely comprehensible in addition to being unlaughable, the title seemingly had nothing to do with the brilliant MAD Magazine. This has to rank as one of the worst television programs in the history of the medium and it is almost impossible to recall anyone who went on from this debacle to do anything of consequence. Oblivion was the fate of nearly all participants and the writers most likely took up another line of work after MADtv limped to an unnoticed, decade overdue cancellation. All involved should be embarrassed by their participation and if they somehow remain active in the industry, must leave this abominable trash off their resumes and live in constant fear of being discovered as once being responsible for such horror. MAD Magazine did serious damage to its prestige by associating itself with something like this and it will take many years for the wounds inflicted upon the astonishing literary satire that was MAD, the beloved and much acclaimed magazine, to at last heal. Unfortunately, that nightmare association, so unneeded, so ugly, and so mercenary, may never be forgiven until several generations have passed and such painful memories fade into the mists of time. Two stars are granted here in honor of the excellent skilled technicians who labored untiringly and offered a magnificent effort to make this so-called "show" watchable in spite of the abysmal final product that so relentlessly violated our television screens.

Too Funny!

Author: h_wilson92 from New Zealand
25 August 2010

I was flicking through the channels late one night and I saw this really funny sketch on the TV that had me in stitches.From that sketch I became addicted to MADtv and didn't miss a single episode.My favorite sketches are E-Harmony,Stuart,Nicole Parker,Barack Obama and all the other presidents of the USA they have had, Coach Hines and many others.I have seen nearly every episode ever made on MADtv.

I watch youtube clips on the show and they never fail to make laugh non stop.I also catch the repeats they air on TV now the show is over and I feel sad the show has ended because it was sooooooooooo funny and was one of my favorite shows.

10/10 is my rating

I don't know if I'll say anything that hasn't been said, but...

Author: Board from Denmark
28 May 2003

As many others have stated this show has gone very much downhill. When I "discovered" this show I only saw a couple of sketches, as it gets broadcasted on a Norwegian station at the same time as I'm watching "Simpsons" on a Danish station. Those sketches I saw was quite good and I especially remember them doing a sketch about Master P doing a remake of "Casablanca"! I then started taping it and then quickly found out that much of it was lame, but there still was funny and memorable stuff in each episode. Now (I think it's season 4 that's just started. Phil Lamarr, Pat Kilbane & Andrew Bowen have just left when the previous season ended) I'm lucky if I'll see some funny stuff. All the sketches are lame, and I'm seriously considering stopping taping it. There have been a couple of memorable sketches over the last period, but it's very rarely. It's all repetition! I don't mind reacurring characters, as long as it's not the same sketch over and over again and how many times haven't they done Magic Johnson saying "Ha ha ha ha ha!" and then trying to read, which he can't?!?! How many times haven't they done Kenny Rogers and how many times was it funny (none)?!?! Although they seem pretty popular I also very much dislike Stuart and Ms. Swan!! The worst I've probably seen in the show was with that lady (Mo Collins), who said "Ha?", coughs and "God, that's cute!" at a yardsale Michael McDonald had!! When they did it the second and third time I was ready to throw the tv out the window!! Possible the worst comical sketch I've ever seen!! James Brown was also cool in the beginning, but then got tiresome as it was just repetition. The only decent actors that are on the show at the moment in my opinion is Will Sasso, Debra Wilson and Aries Spears is also alright. Just to bad that all their sketches have gone lame!

Hilarious...

Author: strosstrup from United States
27 September 2002

The skits absolutely crack me up. I find Nicole Sullivan, Debra Wilson, Phil LaMarr, and Will Sasso to be absolutely hysterical. However, my favorite of all the characters is Michael McDonald. I love to watch his "Stewart," skit...it is priceless.

funny

Author: actionmoviestar from United States
4 January 2002

Mad T.V. is one of the funniest sketch shows out there. Personally, I think it's better than that Saturday Night Live crap. Mad T.V. has hosted a broad range of memorable characters since it debuted back in October 1995. My favorite impersonations/characters are or were the spishak man, kenny rogers, and steven segal.

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]