IMDb > "MADtv" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"MADtv"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"MADtv" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Much better than Saturday Night Live...

Author: asciilogic from usa
23 January 2004

Mad TV is definitely better than Saturday Night Live (SNL). The sketches are funnier, well developed and just plain insane; it reminds me of Monty Python's outrageous comedy. On the other hand, SNL is soooo dry...the sketches tend to be on the boring side...mostly b/c they try very hard to pull off "sophisticated" jokes, ie, the jokes tend to be very conservative....they never let loose.

Mad has no problem with letting loose. For this reason, I can sit through the entire show and laugh my butt off. Sitting thru SNL has become an exercise in boredome...so after watching the entire hour of Mad TV, I may watch what's left of SNL...but I usually don't.

The best sketch comedy on television.

Author: Stormtrac2
28 June 2001

I don't see why people still watch Saturday Night Live when they could watch a REAL sketch comedy show. Let's face it, Saturday Night Live is not what it used to be. It's hardly that funny, some of the characters are just plain stupid, and they hardly ever show some of the funny ones. MAD TV is different. It's fresh and funny, and you actually want to see all of the characters (or almost all of them). Every time I get a chance to watch it I get sick because I can't stop laughing sometimes. Okay, maybe I'm exagerating, but you get my point. And what's with that "Whose Line Is It, Anyway?"? That show is not that great, the people get annoying with some of the things they do, and I don't believe them when they say they haven't rehearsed these things prior to the taping of the show! Anyway, watch MAD TV!!!

Best Comedy show ever

Author: mas151990 from United States
20 April 2008

MADtv is the best comedy show i have ever seen!

It always had great cast members and characters MADtv will stay alive for a very long time. MADtv already beat InLivingColor. InLivingColor only lasted four years with five seasons. MADtv has been out since 1995 and is still on today. The show is already up to its 13th season and will still always dish out the laughs. MADtv is the greatest show i have ever watched! Saturday Night Live is getting very dumb. I have not been laughing at anything of Saturday Night Live. It used to be funny i don't know how it is up to its 33rd season. Saturday Night Live was out since 1975 and it's getting really dumb. MADtv will stay funny forever!

I once heard that it was an "SNL" rip-off, but I love it.

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
10 September 2007

OK, so maybe "Mad TV" is the same sort of thing as "Saturday Night Live", but you still gotta love it! No matter what the situation is, they always find something great to do (including a recent skit where Kim Jong Il has the hots for Jennifer Love Hewitt during the Macy's Day Parade). Part of what it shows is that as long as our society - and the world in general - functions as it does, satire will always have a place.

As for the cast, they're all quite hilarious. Bobby Lee and Frank Caliendo have got to be some of the funniest guys out there; if you haven't seen Caliendo's George W. Bush imitation, then you're really missing something! If I have to choose between this one and "SNL", I would probably go with the latter just because of it's early days. But you can't deny that this one provides its solid share of laughs. It's a modern TV classic.

Madtv should've been cancelled years ago.

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
18 June 2006

With "Saturday Night Live", they still occasionally have a funny sketch, but with Madtv I haven't seen a sketch that made me laugh in years. The first 5 years of the show were very good, seasons 1-3 being the best. They had movie parodies that looked like the movies, being filmed differently on good film. The old shows usually had around 20 skits per episode, and they tried to capture Mad magazine. They had Spy vs. Spy, Don Martin cartoons and had Alfred E Newman as the shows mascot, which they have since dropped for some reason. Now Madtv has around 8 sketches per episode, with a couple of them being about recurring characters who get very annoying very fast. When you have 8 sketches per episode, it's much harder to get a good sketch, where with 20 if half are good, the other ones are short and if bad, they're still funny. So over the years, the show has lost a lot of talented actors, and gained mediocre performers, they've lost their hilarious animated segments, and they've lost any relation to the Mad magazine. I'm hoping the network cancells this soon, because I'd hate to see it get any worse.

My rating: ** 1/2 out of ****. 1 hr. T14

Are you kidding me?

Author: Jayshel Naik from Dewitt, MI
21 February 2005

How do they put crap like this on the air? The always show the same sketches over and over and over and over again. Stuart is not only humorless, but is incredibly annoying. This show had promise when they had one of the best impressionists, in my opinion, in Pablo Francisco. Frank Caliendo is the only thing that saves the show. He is very good, and I tune in to the FOX NFL Sunday show just for him (well, Jillian Barberie too, but that's sidetracking...). He cannot single-handedly save the show.

Will somebody please take this mindless drivel off the air?

Quite funny.

Author: Adam Morrison (dvd53@hotmail.com) from Salmon Beach, New Brunswick
25 November 2001

MAD is my favorite magazine,and the show is just as funny.Will Sasso is hilarious,especially when he make's fun of Steven Seagal.Phil LaMarr is quite funny.Some of my favourite skits include "Suddenly Millenium",Seagal on the seat of "Crouching Cops,Hidden Badges","Sling Blade 2:The Reckoning,"Rubber-man",and the episode with KISS.Michael McDonald is hilarious when he plays Stewart.

Intelligent sketch comedies like Mad are what we need for this world of worthless Television

Author: Claudia McCarey from Australia
26 June 2008

I have to say,Mad TV is so bloody hilarious,especially with physical comedy.Yes,it was offensive(and still is),but at least it's not the cheesy Fast Forward Show or the so-called comedian Will Ferrall(no offense to the fans of him,but this is what I really think of him)and Mike Myers does pathetic kids movies now like Shrek,though the only movies I ever liked were Austin Powers(they were all comically classic).

The greatest things about this show was how over-the-top it was in oh-so-funny ways.The mockery and satirical parodies from music,movies,TV shows,video games,toys,real-life problems,bathroom humour,to practically everything,and I MEAN EVERYTHING.When watching the show,it was like reading Mad magazine put on television virtually,it was fun.

There isn't anything else to talk about this show because of how genius everything is in this show.One more thing,I thank the show so much for doing a take off of the High school musical film in a humorous version.That film was campy.

Mad for Mad TV.

Author: videorama-759-859391 from adelaide, australia
4 November 2013

While not every skits funny, where some truly misfire, and aren't funny at all, depending on the viewer's sense of humor, the majority of the ones that succeed, are. Some of them are so smartly concocted, it's pure genius. This skit show based on that legendary magazine, takes digs at Michael Jackson (especially love those), Seagal, Stallone, Arnie, from a bunch of gifted comic actors who really know they're impersonations, some who have got it down to a tee, like Michael Mcdonald and Frank somebody, (love his John Madden digs) even though I've never seen the real guy, who at first was fictional. No celebrity is safe. My favorite though is that crazy Asian, acting great, Bobby Lee. This comedy sketch show is right out there. Saturday Night Live on crack.

Mad is funny

Author: PeterMitchell-506-564364 from Australia
10 February 2013

The first time I saw time, mid morning at my friend's place, I was splitting my sides. My friend comes out, and says "You're not watching that s..t". But it's very funny s..t. My favorite is Bobby Lee, and Michael Macdonald, the lead, very good too. I didn't find out, till years later, this show was related to Mad Magazine, which I used to cringe at, every time I that ugly face on it's cover. Some of the skits that stay in my head, especially that Victoria Slims skit, showing us to lose weight, where she's living in a roach infested house and snacking on a barrel of KFC chicken, just stay imprinted in my head. Fat Obese Albert, I like too, plus The Sopranos, where the edit the bad language and sex scenes, where there's any film left. This is a classic show. I wish I could have every episode all on DVD, if if it meant they appeared out of nowhere and all came crashing down on me. A truly uproariously funny sketch show that will live on for many years yet.

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]