IMDb > "MADtv" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"MADtv"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"MADtv" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Still The Funniest Saturday Night Live Alternative

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
25 February 2005

Fox produced a smash hit with this zany and creative alternative to NBC's Saturday Night Live. Airing every Saturday at 11pm since 1995, Mad TV is now in it's 10th season. Cast members have come and gone, even reprised their roles in comeback cameos. Among these are the original cast- Nicole Sullivan, Debra Wilson, Artie Lang, Will Sasso, Michael MacDonald, Mo Collins, Phil Lamar, Orlando Jones, Ares Spears. The first season (1995 to 1996) was an explosion of comic skits and colorful characters. Back then, there was a closer connection to Mad Magazine. The logo/cover of the magazine appeared during the opening credits and the Black Spy Vs White Spy bit was used frequently. Later on, it took its own path and new characters were developed. These included the sassy, rude and discriminating Vancome Lady played by Nicole Sullivan, Oprah Winfrey portrayed dead-on by Debra Wilson, Lina and Melina, two Puerto Rican sassy girlfriends, Phil Lamar as the overactive UPS Guy, Michael McDonald as the depressed and rude Persian cab driver and as the witty but mentally challenged boy Stewart. And who can forget Alex Borstein as the stereotypical Asian woman Miss Swan who ran a nail salon and who drove people crazy by saying "He look like a man." While too many people, this show is cartoonish and definitive of Fox broadcasting (Frank Caliendo, a newer star of the show, is even a spokesperson for the NFL on Fox), this show has attracted a variety of stars. Director and producer Amanda Bearse, better known as Marcy Darcy from Married With Children, was behind the scenes of the show. This show is still funny at times, though it is losing some of its glimmer. I just hope they attempt to revive the show before it gets too stale. If Saturday Night Live can survive since its premiere in the 70's, so can this.

Really funny!!!

Author: (Rick3@erusd.k12.ca.us) from CA
11 December 2003

Mad TV was at its prime in 1995. But ever since then the writers seemed to have run out of ideas. The plot lines get duller and and sometimes just don't make sense. When are they going to make a DVD for it. Like Malcolm in the middle, The simpsons, King of the Hill and Buffy. It seems every other show has one except for Mad!

one of the best tv shows!

Author: ThrillRide89 from Los Angeles
6 July 2003

Mad tv is one of my favorite tv shows! ever since i started watching the episodes, i couldn't stop laughing! it is perfect if you want to hear expressions, spoofs, or just plain funny stuff! one of my favorite cast members in the show is Stephanie Weir, she does the funniest expressions and she makes me crack up in almost every sketch she's in! Alex Borstein is also really funny, especially with Ms Swan! me and my friends all love that character and she's perfect at it. Michael Mcdonald is also a crack up for me and my friends when he plays Stuart! this is the perfect show to enjoy, and mostly laugh!

Saturday Night Sketch Comedies with Energy!

Author: Marc Hedman from Ontario, Canada
2 June 2003

Okay, MADtv doesn't have Dan Akroyd, Mike Meyers nor Adam Sandler, but funny people doesn't have to be famous!

MADtv is a very funny show. Many of its sketches are very edgy and creative, and MADtv doesn't seems to be afraid to makes fun of anything! Most of the sketches are played very well by the cast.

The cast are very talented: Alex Borstein, Nicole Sullivan, Phil LaMarr, Pat Kilbane, Will Sasso...just to name a few. I also liked the cast changes, it makes the show fresh. Although sometimes the departure of certain cast member can be disapointing.

American humour at its best!

Author: Alvildus (Alvildus@hotmail.com) from Fauske, Norway
15 March 2003

Even though I prefer the British "understatement" humour, this slick, American skit-fest really appealed to me. Brilliant actors and comedians, and writers whose imagination seems infinite. How do they come up with all this stuff? Well, I'm impressed. My favourite bits are those with Stuart and his mother, handsome Andrew Bowen's imitations of Keanu Reeves, Nicolas Cage and Christopher Walken, Will Sasso's Steven Seagal-act, and of course Phil LaMarr as Chris Rock. Mo Collins also has a way of portraying female characters we all reckognize. It's very, very American, but not all that patriotic. And that's a relief. Personally, I think Monty Python and Rowan Atkinson's acts are better, but MAD tv is still a very good show!

Funny!

Author: ERichardson from Toronto
24 November 2002

On Saturday nights I watch MadTV at 11 and then at 11:30 switch back and forth from it to SNL. I've come to the conclusion that MadTV is funnier, because SNL focuses too much on political stuff, while MadTV does sketches that are funny, entertaining and familiar. I like Stewart, but not Ms. Swann. My favourites are Micheal McDonald, Stephanie Weir, Will Sasso and Deborah Wilson. The others are good, but these are the funniest. Especially Weir's "Dot" and Anna Nicole Smith! What a hoot!

Was an awesome show...

Author: Rye
12 October 2002

I used to watch MadTV all the time, every Saturday night. Now I find myself catching it, when its convenient. In its early years, MadTV was hillarious. The show had awesome skits, and absolutely outrageous scenarios. Ms Swan, Stewart, anything done by Will Sasso, and Mo Collins just left me in stitches. However, as time has gone along, I find myself laughing less and less at MadTV's attempt at funny sketches. With Nicole Sullivan, Alex Borstein, and now Will Sasso gone, I can hardly accept the show as being MadTV without them. Sure Michael McDonald is still around, and Mo Collins is great as well, but the other three stars that I mentioned were the greatest, and I surely miss them whenever I catch the show on TV.

great show

Author: aboarder177@hotmail.com
1 September 2002

Ok SNL's best years were 1990-1995 because of it's awesome cast and funny sketches then it went down hill and Mad TV came along and it was better then SNL because SNL just was unfunny after all the cast members left. It's first and second season was great the third was good along with the rest of the other seasons. The sketches are much better too like Fightin Ron, most Kenny Roger skits, Steven Segal and many more but by far the best thing Mad TV did was Clops! So to sum it up SNL not funny anymore. Mad TV every funny.

THE BEST SHOW EVER!!

Author: Amy Mcgrath (Madtv4ever@hotmail.com) from Canada
26 June 2002

Okay, if you're here...it obviously means you like madtv, and i say to you...YOU ROCK!! Anyways I am going to talk about Mo and Mike, THEY ARE AMAZING!! Mo Collins--> LUV HER!! She is amazing, she is a talented and extremely funny person. She may have trouble keeping her laughter in at times, but it all works out great for her overall performence. Michael McDonald--> LUV HIM!! He is the best actor on the show. He has always taken the character given to him, and turned it into something his, and original. HE HAS AMAZING TALENT!! Although, i must say, the thing Michael does best...is getting Mo to laugh! It's great watching Mo try and say her line and try to cover up her laughter.

OVERALL...I LUV YOU,MO AND MIKE!! you guys rock madtv, without you, there would be no Mad TV,

AND BY THE WAY...Mad TV WILL replace SNL!! People will be saying,"SNL?!...who?!-what!?...WHERE ARE YOU FROM!!??"

"LUV YOU MADTV...MO AND MIKE I LOVE YOU!!"

THE BEST SHOW EVER!!

Author: Amy Mcgrath (Madtv4ever@hotmail.com) from Canada
26 June 2002

"LUV YOU MADTV...MO AND MIKE I LOVE YOU!!"

Page 2 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]