IMDb > "MADtv" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"MADtv"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"MADtv" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Started out as one of the funniest TV shows out there, but has gradually slid down these past couple years

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
2 February 2005

The first time I saw "Mad TV" I was hooked. This show was very funny and had a lot of brilliant sketches. From "OJ Simpson Bloopers" to "N'sync: The Movie" this show had non-stop laughs. The best cast was from 1997-2001. Unfortunately, Nicole Sullivan and Will Sasso left the show and it went down. Every Saturday I looked forward to seeing a new episode, and now it's not that big of a deal anymore. It's not as funny and creative as it used to be. But I would recommend seasons 1-6 any time. Those were the great episodes. Now, it's getting a little too sexual and racist. It's also not as original anymore. I'm sure that most "Mad TV" fans would agree as well.

Brilliant! This show really gets it!

Author: MMcDonaldFan from United States
6 June 2005

I only started watching this show about six months ago on Comedy Central, and I have been hooked since. SNL doesn't even come close to this show's originality and creativity. One of the real main differences between this show and SNL is the way this show "lets loose" and isn't so political, pretentious, and self-conscious. It lets its actors breathe and get comfortable, making for some really hilarious skits and recurring characters. SNL is so tight-laced and "lets all make fun of the President again"...and "this constitutional bill just got passed," and now the musical guest is gonna be in the skits, and the celebrity host needs to make a huge entrance and make the skits about "them." With MadTV, you get to really know the actors more, and it makes things that much funnier. Plus the show is just plain hilarious!! My absolute favorite person on the show is Michael McDonald. My favorite sketches are Ms. Swan ("I tell you every-TING!")...Stuart ("I found it on the floor!")...Lorraine ("my husband Carl's got gas real bad")...the "Literally" couple...Debra Wilson as Oprah...and Reality Check (i just watched the one with "Richard Simmons," and I was crying it was so funny). The TV show parodies are a riot, like "The Queen of Queens," Will & Grace, I Love Lucy, and Laverne & Shirley. I can't believe these actors aren't getting their own sitcoms or becoming big movie stars like Will Ferrell, who--ya know what?--really isn't that funny. Literally.

Sometimes better than SNL

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
10 January 2002

I always loved MadTV since it's debut. How did they get their cast? They went out in a truck and recruited a couple of prostitutes, pimp, a suicidal woman, a homeless veteran, and an overweight crossing guard. They are some fabulous skits like "That's my White Mama!" with Artie Lange as fat white man who has the soul of a black woman. Ms. Vancome is always vocal about her bigoted opinions. Ms. Swan is a priceless character of sheer irritation. They spoof the President Bush and Clintons needlessly. They even did a good spoof of ER where everybody in the show is getting ready to leave. I thought that made a strong criticism of the show. Finally, sometimes they do things that SNL won't do or forget to do. I love SNL and MadTV. I just wish MadTv would start at 10:30pm than 11pm. so I don't have to debate which to tape. I hope MadTv last as long as SNL.

love it

Author: (bgirl107@yahoo.com) from iowa
1 June 2004

Mad TV is by far the funniest of the sketch comedy shows. it blows snl out of the water. i love it. I'm not stupid tho and i will admit a lot of the sketches are overused and beat to death. they show maybe one stech that will make me wonder why i even wacth the show every Saturday tho. i hate how they started showing old clips in the new episodes, they gotta stop that. those are the only real problems i have with it. a few good things on it, because i don't have time to list them all are: stephanie wier. she brings the whole show up! there is no one better than her on the show now nor has there ever been. the only one who even came close was nicole sullivan. i say they get nicole back and the show will be even more awesome. any way, the sketches that they kill are very funny so if you don't watch the show often you'll get a kick out of them. and the same actors come back so they can really get some back ground for the reoccuring characters. thats all i can type for now so see ya

Made My Decision...

Author: gluba2000 from South Boston, Massachusetts
13 November 2004

I made another review on MAD TV and at the time I wasn't a big a fan as I am now.

I love MAD TV! It's much funnier then SNL!

SNL only gets good ratings because it's SNL, people remember that it was ONCE funny and figure that it's still funny...either that or they're brain dead!

MAD TV has some really funny parodies and a lot of funny recurring characters, though some of them can get annoying (Kenny Rogers is a bit annoying and Marvin Tikvah is annoying) but some of the better recurring characters are Dot, Angela, Lorraine, Stuart (can get to be annoying, though.)

The celebrity impressions are hilarious!

They poke fun at George Bush and John Kerry (the sketches from the current season, season 10, are hilarious!)

They've also done celebrity parodies such as Ellen DeGeneres, Oprah, Martha Stewart, Whitney Houston, Renee Zellwieger, Ashlee Simpson, O.J Simpson, and the list goes on and on!

I think MAD TV is very underrated and just shun it out because it's not SNL!

MAD TV has some very talented cast members and it's too bad that they're looked over just because they're not on SNL!

MAD TV can have some misses sometimes, but mostly all the time it's hits with hilarious sketches!!!

If you've never seen MAD TV then catch the reruns on Comedy Central or watch it on FOX, Saturdays at 11 PM!

Pure Hilarity

Author: turtlewax182
7 December 2002

I don't understand why Mad TV doesn't get as much hype or attention as SNL, when Mad is so much funnier! Lately, SNL just isn't giving me laughs like it has in the past. It seems as if MAD is willing to take an extra step and I find myself laughing hysterically through almost every sketch. Michael McDonald is pure comedy and should be recognized for his work. He's hilarious. SNL doesn't pack punches like it used to, watch MAD TV for a hipper, and funnier, hour.

was good & memorable

Author: fliphop from oklahoma
12 October 1999

i shall not forget the humor of this show. skit: a couple goes into a fertility counselor. after extensive conversation the fertility counselor discovers that the couple does not know about 'the birds and the bees'. she whispers it to them and they both get up and say 'Oh my God! that is disgusting!" and storm out of the room. HAH! There were lots of skits as good over the years. I'll always remember the hopped up UPS guy trying way too hard to do his job.

Pleasent Suprise...

Author: Dave (phantom2099@hotmail.com) from Puerto Rico
1 June 1999

Got to tell you when i first saw this tv series i thought it would be cancelled. being goofy and a little corny but they started taking more risk and its gotten hysterical sure sometimes they cross the line to ok thats it. but hey they still rule and it i think it will soon replace SNL.

Underrated...

Author: Pete from Sunnydale, California
3 August 2003

I watch this show every Saturday night, basically because I'm so disappointed with SNL. The show lost something great when Cheri Oteri left. I have to say that out of the entirely talented cast, the funniest member is Mo Collins. Her characters, Trina, Stuart's Mom, and my personal favorite, Lorraine, kill me everytime I watch it. Also watch it for Stephanie Weir, Aries Spears, and Debra Wilson. They are much more talented than some of the SNL members, I guarantee it.

Love at First Sight!

Author: MubukuGrappa from Losa Angelosa
25 March 2005

It was a September night in 2002 at Jerusalem. A few of us were flying to Berlin the next (early) morning, and we were spending that night at my colleague's place. To kill time, we started watching TV programs first, followed by "Monthy Python's Meaning of Life" and another movie. And then when we had nothing else to watch, but still a couple of hours to pass, suddenly there sprung up MAD TV. What the program was about how Arnold, the Terminator, was assigned the duty of protecting the newly-born Jesus and how he went on his duty, killing Judas to stop Jesus from being betrayed. And sitting at a place, only about 3 miles from Bethelhem, I fell in love with MAD TV. The love is still there!

Not that everything MAD TV does is fun. Many of the programs are boring and repetitive; but each Saturday night, one gets at least 15 minutes of real fun within an hourly episode, which is sufficient for someone like me to wait for the show each week. I also like their effort to be always politically incorrect.

My favorite actor of MAD TV: Nicole Parker. I just love her, be it her impersonating Ashley Simpson, Hillary Swank,or Norah Jones (falling asleep while singing!). I would actually like to date her (Nicole, if you're single and reading this, send me a mail please!).

And no, I don't have anything against the other actors. I like them too, mainly Daniele and Stephnie!

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]