IMDb > "Goosebumps" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Goosebumps" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Ahh The Memories!

Author: r-downey1 from Belfast, Northern Ireland UK
17 October 2004

When I was a kid my all time favourite show was the Goosebumps TV show and of course the books as well. Some of them really scared me and give me nightmares. My favourite character was Slappy the living dummy.

I'm now 16 and I must say that the show is not at all scary to me anymore as I've watched many far more shocking things since the Goosebumps days. We all agree that the show was made for children which we all were when we loved it.

This is a really good show for children to view, but when you get older its just plain funny. My favourite episodes and books are still Welcome to Dead House, The Haunted Mask, Ghost Beach, The Ghost Next Door, Night of the living Dummy 2 and A Night in Terror Tower.

I would overall give RL Stines Goosebumps 10/10 stars as a good young person's creepy show. It will always remain a classic to me due to all the little thrills RL Stine and his wonderful book series give me whilst I was growing up.

I miss this show!

Author: huneysweet1 from United States
14 July 2005

I used to watch this show a few years ago on FoxFamily (now ABCfamily) along with Eerie Indiana. Goosebumps wasn't intensely scary, just mysterious and suspenseful - it sure kept MY attention. Anyway, I guess you can only catch it on DVDs these days, as I do not believe it airs anywhere on television. All of the episodes are unique and, for the most part, have intriguing plots and endings.

So, in general, if you're looking for scarily satisfying shows to watch as a family, then Goosebumps is perfect. There are also movies that came out that are based on the old Goosebumps books we all loved to read. Good luck, and I hope you have as much fun watching the shows as I did!

Clever Horror Series for Children

Author: bbSouthstreet from United States
19 September 2005

Boy do I remember it well. Every Friday when I got home from school I would watch the newest horror story from the mind of R.L. Stine. And even though all I have left are old episodes on video tapes I still find it awfully clever. My favorite will always be the one with Slappy the evil ventriloquist's dummy. Slappy was always the scariest one to watch when I was a kid, after watching that I would get the willies and find it impossible to go to sleep. Other stories that would haunt my mind would be the Terror Tower, Fever Swamp, the haunted mask and welcome to dead house. For anyone who needs a good laugh or a good scare, R.L. Stine's Goosebumps is just the ticket.

Stine TV

Author: Pimpin` Critic 69 from Your Critic of Critics
22 January 2003

Back in the nineties, during the Pre-Potter era. My generation was being delighted by the works of R.L. Stine and his magnificent book series "Goosebumps." Between 1992 and 1995 I myself read some great ones like "Monster Blood," and it's two sequels, "Say Cheese and Die," "Ghost Bead," "Deep Trouble," and the greatest one of them all "The Haunted Mask." So obviously in 1995 when FOX Kids premiered this show I watched it. And Loved it! The show's adaptation wasn't very accurate but it was still entertaining and faithful to the novels. This was a great show, not scary but neither were the books. It's just a nice entertaining show from an entertaining series.

Great Semi-Horror Fun

Author: John Crane from United States
12 October 2007

Goosebumps was a very interesting piece of horror, in the sense that it was not scary for adults or teens but still pretty scary for 5-12-year-olds. I used to watch this while I watched over my friend's kid and I know everyone by heart, including the books. This series was made in Canada and featured a variety of semi-scary stores. These stores ranged from typical ghost in the attic, vampires, werewolves and mummies, however, there were some stories that were just plain "out there" (i.e. killer plants in a basement, real native American lychans). These stores were, at points, pretty suggestive for ages 7. They were pretty graphic (cutting a wrist and squeezing out green blood), pretty frightening (bug-like alien librarian eating crickets) and sometimes disturbing (Aunt and Uncle getting naked and putting on skinned werewolf skin).

The story usually included a teenager, boy or girl, and they would be subjected to horrible, life-changing events. The kids were good sports for this series and the acting by some of them was exceptional and some were a bit overdone/underdone. Outside of the horror fantasy problems they dealt with real life situations that I'm sure all of us could relate to in one way or the other. Ex: moving to a new neighborhood, family vacations, bullies, mom and dad issues and school problems). I think that R.L., for kids at least, did a so-so job of capturing the reality of teenagers and young adults.

For the most part, Goosebumps was not that scary for teens, adults and some varieties of young kids but to rate it a TV7, maybe pushing it. It was defiantly more of a TV10, though this is what I think. It was pretty scary for kids and it would be equivalent to showing a 10-year-old The Hills Have Eyes. I kind of enjoyed it when it aired on Fox Kids and I probably would watch it again, but I'm not in a hurry. I would recommend it to any young (8-12) kid who want to be a loyal horror fanatic.

A childhood favorite!

Author: phil-manzon from United States
11 July 2010

Where do I start with this? I'm a huge fan of both the book and show, heres why. Growing up in the 90s, there was every kind of show a kid could love. Both live action and animated, there was much to offer, Ren and Stimpy, Clarissa explains it all, Freakaziod, the Tick, etc. One stood out to me. Goosebumps, I had read some of the books and when I saw the TV show, I fell in love with the series. The characters are super cliché, the dialogue is delightfully cheesy, and the monsters are really cool. My favorite monsters are the horror land creatures, Slappy, the Scarecrow, and the Mummy. This is truly a classic 90s show in every way. I would watch this every weekend, and even bring the tapes to my day care. In sort, this is one of the best shows from the 90s, and makes me miss fox kids even more. There used to be a show for everybody, now thats just a thing of the past.

Former favorite of mine

Author: Hancock_the_Superb from United States
8 August 2004

Back in the early to mid-'90s, I (and much of the rest of America's youth) loved R.L. Stine's "Goosebumps" series, which were as popular as Harry Potter in their day. To this day I still read them occasionally. Even when I was a kid I never found them all that scary (and when they got to "Series 2000", they took a huge nosedive very quickly), but they're entertaining enough and worth reading. When this show first came on the air, I used to watch it religiously. I haven't seen it in a good while, but I remember it well enough to give some sort of commentary.

The show experienced the same problem with the novels themselves: after two very spooky seasons of "regular Goosebumps", we had to go to "Ultimate Goosebumps", which relied more on sheer weirdness than genuine scares. A lot of the "Ultimate Goosebumps" eps were based off short stories from Stine's five or six "Tales To Give You Goosebumps" books, which each had ten stories of varying quality ("Old Story", "The Perfect School", the one with the ants, and "Click" I can name immediately). And the book adaptations ("Bride of the Living Dummy", "A Shocker On Shock Street") were VERY loose by that point. The older eps of the show, like "The Haunted Mask", "Night of the Living Dummy II", "It Came From Beneath The Sink", "Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes", "The Werewolf of Fever Swamp", etc., varied slightly from the book they were based on, but in general were very faithful to the stories. There were some later eps ("Welcome To Dead House", "Night of the Living Dummy III") that were very well done, but the best eps were in the first two seasons. The show isn't a whole lot to get worked up over (I'd recommend the original "Are You Afraid Of The Dark?" personally), but it isn't a bad waste of thirty minutes. But definitely read the books, at least #1-35, if you like these kind of stories.

Seven stars.

Great Show

Author: kdnor2011 from United States
4 May 2010

In October 2007, Cartoon Network began airing episodes of the show Goosebumps. After looking it up on Wikipedia, I found that it was a Canadian show from the 1990's. I thought, "Old foreign show, may check it out." I hadn't read the books when I was little, so I didn't know what to expect. The first episode, "The Haunted Mask" aired, and I was instantly hooked.

Every episode was like a mix of a Twilight zone episodes and M. Night Shymalan film. Creepy atmosphere, and a twist ending. After watching this show, I asked my little brother to bring home as many of the books from the elementary school library as he could. As soon as I find the episodes on DVD, you can bet I'll buy them.

Before there was "Harry Potter", there was "Goosebumps"

Author: Salazar from New Zealand
7 January 2008

"Goosebumps" the television show was based on R.L Stine's popular horror stories for kids. This show was just rockin'! I clearly remember sitting down and watching it with my sister 'cause we were both fans of the show and of the books (my personal favourite is the "Monster Blood" stories). The show wasn't entirely scary (though it may scare very young children), it was rather cheesy actually, but in a good way. Anyhoo, me, my sister and our friends enjoyed watching it so. We taped some of the episodes (and actually have one of the episodes on video); I remember watching 'em all the time, but I have no idea were they are now.

In short, "Goosebumps" the show was a very faithful adaption to the stories and a whole lot of fun to watch. Now, if I can only just find those videos....

A show that's still holding up even in the age when all kids want to do is text

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks ( from Canada
30 January 2015

I didn't grow up in the Nineties, I grew up in the 2000's (21st century). Unfortunately I'm eighteen and I get to be part of the cell phone texting, Family Guy-watching generation... damn, I do neither of those things but I'm so sick of seeing everyone around me doing it. My brother, sister and I aren't like kids from this generation, we're into super 8 cameras, B-movies and TV shows like Goosebumps. Goosebumps definitely isn't what I'd call scary at this time of my life, but it still has its moments.

Goosebumps has episodes ranging in length; some are two-part episodes and go more like watching movies. Each episode has a different horror story for kids, but unlike adult horror shows like Tales from the Crypt or Tales from the Darkside, Goosebumps is aimed at audiences of kids and teenagers and many of the episodes feature life lessons. It has mostly comical episodes, and a few that are meant to be creepy. I think the single episode that managed to be remotely scary to me was my favorite episode, Welcome to Dead House, which featured a small town where a chemical factory accident killed all the residents, and they came back to life as mutant entities that were afraid of the sunlight and plotted to murder other families that moved in. It was surprisingly depressing and dark for a children's show, and had it been developed from the POV of the parents I could picture it as a full-length horror movie. It had this atmosphere that is hard to describe, dreary and industrial and unexpected in a show for kids.

It's a Canadian show believe it or not, filmed in Toronto. Canada had its moments for having that dreary, dark atmosphere for horror (in the Atlantic side this country was home to the 1981 slasher film My Bloody Valentine, for example). Goosebumps had many episodes with amazing scenery for horror, and the actors, who were both Canadian and American, did an excellent job in most episodes. The series began to go bad in the last couple of seasons though, with funny but lame episodes like An Old Story that really pointed out that the series was about to end.

Goosebumps is a great show for kids, no question about it. It's original, it's entertaining, and it's one of those shows you can sit back and watch after school or on a rainy day and escape into for a half-hour. I also recommend watching Are You Afraid of the Dark? and The Haunting Hour, two other similar kids' horror shows that have even more to offer if you're into the more creepy side of these shows.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]