IMDb > "Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dr. Katz is desperately missed

Author: synefra from usa
13 December 2001

I adore Dr. Katz, there was no darker day than when I heard the series was going to end. I have every episode they showed on Comedy Central. My tapes are so worn they are getting hard to watch. I should have made tapes of my tapes. I wish they would release the whole series on DVD. The animation, which seems to have annoyed some people, never bothered me at all. I enjoyed the show on every level, and every time I watch it. It is a fantastic series, with brilliant acting and perfect comedic timing, a must see for anyone who truly appreciates good comedy.

Amazing

Author: Valek-5 (vampyr54@yahoo.com) from Cape Town, South Africa
30 October 2000

This is the most amazing animated series on TV at the moment. It's not just the humor, but the characters are ones that you can identify with and the animation is amazing. The surroundings are completely static (black and white and unmoving). The people are the only animations that move. It's like their outlines are permanently set to "vibrate". This is annoying to some people, but I think it's really great. Laura HAS to be the most amazing receptionist EVER! WATCH THIS SHOW!

What happened to this show?

Author: edmundmuskie
8 August 2003

This was a great show, there was little if anything funnier than this show. I loved it. The reason it was cancelled in my opinion was like many other shows it was moved around too much. The show originally came on Sunday at 10:00 the same night as the Simpsons. Then I think it was moved to Monday. This was classic stuff.

The concept was simple and very funny. Dr. Katz was a psychiatrist whose patients were actual comedians. The trick was it was all animated and was done in a very strange squiggle vision, which was pretty cool. Also in the show were Dr. Katz's cynical receptionist Laura and his son, Ben. There are so many classic lines in this show. Ben was incredibly lazy, and once wanted to order some Guinea Pigs that were as he put it…. 49.95….95.

There was also Dr. Katz saying that if you drank a cup of your own urine that you would be healthy because you would be taking many anti-bodies, the only downside was pee-pee breath. This was such a good show I miss it. Rodney Dangerfield once was on this show, I am a huge Dangerfield fan and I missed it. Still if you can find this show watch it every time I watched it I was falling on the floor laughing.

Maybe the best show ever.

Author: simonbj12 from Toronto, Canada
22 February 2001

Dr. Katz might be the funniest show I have ever seen, but not mass-audience material really. It runs at it's own pace, and has a very unique and subtle sense of humor. Unfortunately it's no longer in production, and reruns are--to my knowledge--not available up here in sunny Canada. Fans should check out "Home Movies" which also features the voice of H. Jon Benjamin, and lacks the squiggle-vision animation.

Ben and Dad making a winning team

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
4 October 2000

This is one of the funniest animated series ever. I started watching Dr. Katz in 1998, early in the year when I got my satellite dish. Our cable company doesn't carry Comedy Central. The show had a good run, and many of the episodes were downright hilarious. The characters are so loveable, how can you not watch? You have Dr. Katz, a psychologist, who studies the minds of celebrities, mostly comedians. Then, you have Ben, ah Ben...the loveable kid who isn't really a kid at all. He's in his 20's, but he doesn't have a job, and he spends most of his time sitting around the house with two different colored socks on...the kind that are white and have colored stripes at the top. Ben has a thing for his dad's secretary, Laura, who for an animated person is stunningly beautiful, I have to say, and he always gets laughs when he tries to ask her out or flirt with her. Dr. Katz was a great show, and it's a shame Comedy Central didn't renew it. I guess they have better things to air like 18 episodes of the not- so- funny SNL a day. According to a form letter I received via e- mail, Katz was supposed to run on the weekends for good in reruns, but that never happened, because they replaced it with Duckman, and Comedy Central no longer owns the rights to the series. You can, however, pick up tapes of the show at amazon.com. You can also find people online who have episodes on tape who are willing to copy them for you, some for free, some for a price. I know that's illegal, but when they don't have every episode available for sale, how else do they expect you to see it? Check it out if you can, you won't regret it.

Your Mental Woes are No Match for Dr. Katz!

Author: eddiez61 from Collingswood, NJ USA
20 October 2011

As a life long sufferer of chronic sadness, I hold tight to anything, ANYTHING, that helps lift, for even a few moments, that pesky dark cloud hovering over my head. I've tried drugs - legal and otherwise, illicit sex, adrenaline fueled extreme sports, petty crimes, felonious crimes, Zen Buddhist meditation, Cabalistic incantations, Indian sweat lodge retreats, and even once watched Oprah, but nothing works quite so magically as quality TV comedy. Dr. Katz is my prescription to you for whatever has got you down. There's no mood too blue, no funk too sunk that a dose of Dr. Katz can't fix. It's a sure fire, works-every-time, miracle cure for the blahs that carries no side effects, other than maybe a cramped face from all the prolonged intense grinning.

It's such an outrageous conceit to have top comedians - the majority of which are clearly disturbed individuals - venting the same annoyances, anxieties, fears, and phobias that constitute their acts, but as sessions with a mental health professional. Putting these peculiar characters on the couch is a stroke of genius. How crazy is it that what easily passes for legitimate therapeutic conversation is actually the stuff of inspired comedy routines?! The are a few exceptions to the parade of stand up pros such as when actresses Winona Ryder and Lisa Kudrow appear as patients, and they, too, are marvelously compelling and witty. There are a few comedian patients with whose work I was not previously familiar, and I was motivated to seek out examples of them in real world action.

All the regular characters are absolutely superb with long time stand up comedian Jonathan Katz voicing the titular doctor. The doctor is divorced and living with his unemployed son, Ben, played by H. Jon Benjamin who has created the archetypal Gen X slacker loser. Ben's self obsessed, self deprecating, self loathing version of post-adolescent angst is poignantly endearing, when it's not comically tragic. Dr. Katz's equally self obsessed, but self satisfied twenty-something secretary, Laura, is a sly creature of the most sinister design, who is perhaps repulsive in attitude but undeniably alluring in appearance and style. Ben incessantly makes awkward advances to a decidedly disinterested Laura who is voiced by Laura Silverman, sister to the also maniacally designed Sarah Silverman. Dr. Katz often ends his working day with drinks with an amiable acquaintance, Stanley, served to them by an attractive and pleasant bartender, Julie, who seems to genuinely enjoy the gentlemen's glib conversation. It's a great treat for me to compare all the performers' real faces to their weirdly squiggly animated ones.

This show never fails to brighten my day. It shines a very warm ray of light onto my burdened heart. Dr. Katz truly is the comedic equivalent of chicken soup for the soul.

One of a Kind.

Author: AlexInChains19 from United States
22 July 2008

This is one of the most original animated shows. Dr. Katz is a psychiatrist and his patients are all comedians. They take their material and they turn it into personal problems they are having. But he also his son. 20 something Ben who still lives at home and is always thinking of new ways to make money and sit around. And then there's Laura. Probably the worst secretary ever. I should mention that Ben has a crush on her and always asking her out and she continuously declines. The animation is what they call "SQUIGGLE-VISION." The background is black and white and the characters and important objects are in color and are constantly shaking. There has never been another show (that I know of) to use this type of animation.

Dr. Katz...I'm fallin' hard for Dr. Katz...doo dee dee doo..

Author: Rosabel from Ottawa, Canada
25 March 2003

While it lasted, this was one of the funniest animated shows ever to turn up on TV. It was a brilliant idea to take standup comedy and pour it into the psychologist-patient mold; it fits perfectly. I still laugh thinking about Ray Romano talking about how his wife forces him to go downstairs to check out noises in the night...and bring back a yogurt. I hope it will all be out on DVD soon.

Kinda like Shorties: Watching Shorties, but for the intelligent

Author: buckyboy28 from United States
2 April 2005

I watched this show from time to time in the late-90's, but I didn't get Comedy Central at home until around 2001. When I was flipping through the shows that were free with on demand, I was pleasantly surprised to find episodes of "Dr. Katz". This show is basically a half-hour animated sitcom/ stand up comedy showcase. Dr. Jon Katz is a therapist who anaylizes stand up comics and actors/actresses. Various elements of the conversations are literally animated out to make for an often hilarious story. In addition, H. Jon Benjamin plays Dr. Katz's son, Ben who is a loser who often hangs at his dad's office because he has a crush on the receptionist. And in case this wasn't enough, the show is presented in the acid-tripping animation style, Squigglevision, which can also be seen in the first few seasons of "Home Movies" (occasionally on Adult Swim). This show is a hidden gem, so if you happen to find it on on demand, watch it because chances are it won't be released on DVD.

This is all you need...

Author: daxer79-1 from United States
6 December 2006

So okay, you've got Futurama, you've got American dad and Family guy. And sure, King of the hill is great and Cowboy bebop is jazz-uped cool. But Dr katz is the absolute must for anyone looking for the likable characters, great lines and memorable guestapperances. I don't need to say what it's about, you can read the summary, but to believe the excellence of this seemingly low budget, you've got to see it for yourself. You won't roll across the room laughing (or maybe you will), but this is fun and even tender (Dr Katz's unconditional love for his slacker son). In TV world of humour 'Friends' tried too hard, 'Dr Katz' won hands down...