IMDb > Daisy-Head Mayzie (1995) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Daisy-Head Mayzie (TV) More at IMDbPro »

An endearing animation that is true to the style of Dr Seuss' book illustrations

Author: Stompgal_87 from United Kingdom
30 August 2013

I watched this animation, which is on 'The Best of Dr Seuss' DVD alongside 'Horton Hatches the Egg' and 'Butter Battle Book' (both of which are not quite as good as this one). The DVD itself was in a quad-pack with 'Laura's Star,' 'The Powerpuff Girls Movie' and 'The Magic Sword: Quest for Camelot.'

The animation is smooth, vibrant and true to the style of the illustrations in Dr Seuss, books while the rhyming narrative was true to the text in the books. The musical score had some fantastical charm and the Cat in the Hat narrating the story was a pleasant surprise. Mayzie is an adorable, endearing character who I deeply sympathise with because other classmates tease her fro the daisy sprouting from her head and she gets upset about nobody loving her until the daisy does the 'loves me, loves me not' tradition.

Overall this is an endearing work of animation and definitely the best of the 'Best of Dr Seuss' DVD. 8/10.

A wonderful and entertaining movie, but it's not without its flaws.

Author: j-jessie-weaver from Texas
19 April 2013

I remember having "Daisy-Head Mayzie" on videocassette when I was around three or four years old, and I loved it, mainly because the Cat in the Hat was in it. Now, in 2013 of this year, I was so happy to find it on YouTube last night. It felt great to see a lost piece of my early childhood once again.

However, I now realize this movie is not without a couple of flaws. The rhyming isn't all that perfect, and there is almost no explanation for some of the scenes. I understand why people are saying it's not the best "Dr. Seuss" special in the world, but I still love it, nonetheless. The animation is excellent and really lives up to Theodore Geisel's illustrations.

Overall, if you or your kids are Dr. Seuss fans, I highly recommend this special, regardless of its flaws.

Charming Dr Seuss animation that you get more out of on second viewing

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
2 April 2013

Daisy-Head Maizie, both as a story and an animated adaptation, may not be the best of Dr Seuss, but for someone relatively new to the story and as someone very fond of Dr Seuss it was treat. The animation is bright and colourful, with every background and character drawn simply but elegantly, while the whimsical scoring and cheery songs are also winners. The writing respects Dr Seuss' style with the dialogue, rhymes and song lyrics witty and bouncy. What's also great is how well you makes you laugh and cry without being too forceful. The story may be somewhat slight and sentimental, but also undeniably charming and fun, the sort of story you get more out of on subsequent viewings. The characters are memorable and engaging, and the voice acting is terrific, Henry Gibson and Tim Curry in particular standing out.

All in all, charming and well done, the more you're familiar with it the more you get out of it. 9/10 Bethany Cox