Daisy-Head Mayzie (TV Short 1995) Poster

(1995 TV Short)

Taught by Warner Bros. to predict America's future . . .
Edgar Allan Pooh17 August 2017
. . . as the lead writer of the U.S. Taxpayer-funded PRIVATE SNAFU troop training cartoons during World War Two, Dr. Seuss churned out this made-for-TV half-hour biography of current First Daughter Iwanna Rump in 1995 (six years AFTER Iwanna's Dad, Red Commie KGB Chief Vlad "The Mad Russian" Putin's White House Sock Puppet--Don Juan Rump--began his U.S. Presidential Campaign in the Doonesbury Comic Strip). Mayzie's daisy, of course, symbolizes Iwanna's Real Life conversion to Judaism. Bullied immediately by her peer group (the cartoon counterparts of the Alt.Right NeoNazi Tiki Torch Toters at Charlottesville this week, and the skinhead shown on CNN 14 times 8/15/17 calling out Rump for "giving" Iwanna to a "Jew Ba$---d"), Mayzie\Iwanna signs her Pact with Satan (this cartoon's "Agent Finagle") in "think-proof ink" (16.48). After all, Mayzie McGrew has been labeled by her school's Principal Anti-Semite as "the worst person in town" (7:42), and not even the Don Juan-like local leader (an official who echoes Rump Senior in saying "I'm very important; that's why I'm Mayor!") will stick up for poor Iwanna\Mayzie. The cartoonists here next show Mayzie atop a spot-on facsimile of Rump Tower. Despite "having it all, and a lot more, too," Iwanna\Mayzie soon realizes that "I can never go home; nobody loves me" and self-deports to a barren landscape not unlike that of Australia's Outback, or Antarctica's Larsen Ice Shelf B.
Not among Seuss' best really
"Daisy-Head Mayzie" is a television short film from 1995. It runs for slightly over 20 minutes only and was directed by Tony Collingwood. He received his only Emmy nomination for his work here. The big name here, however, is of course Dr. Seuss, the famous writer for children's works that brought us the Lorax, the Cat in the Hat and many more. But this one here is in my opinion not among his greatest achievements. Then again, he was dead already for a while when this came out, so maybe the base material is better than this version here. I'm not sure. I'm more surprised it received an Emmy nomination though, but not surprised it lost to the Simpsons. I think the animation is also not too good for a film from only slightly over 20 years ago. Seuss's stuff from earlier decades is at least on the same level. And I never found the title character too interesting, it is a girl that has a daisy growing out of her head and after this daisy results in others laughing at the girl initially, it eventually helps her in becoming a star. But is this really what she wants/needs? Of course, as always with Dr. Seuss, there is also a lesson involved again in the final sequence, but I must say it did not feel too authentic or working in the overall sense of the film. Sure it is a honorable one, but it feels somewhat dissected from the film and a bit rushed in. So yeah, it is not a failure at all and the biggest Seuss fans will probably like it, but I don't think it's a good choice to start digging into the doctor's work. I give it a thumbs-down overall and not even the rhymes (usually the biggest strength in the writer's work) weren't always delivering that well.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An endearing animation that is true to the style of Dr Seuss' book illustrations
Stompgal_8730 August 2013
I watched this animation, which is on 'The Best of Dr Seuss' DVD alongside 'Horton Hatches the Egg' and 'Butter Battle Book' (both of which are not quite as good as this one). The DVD itself was in a quad-pack with 'Laura's Star,' 'The Powerpuff Girls Movie' and 'The Magic Sword: Quest for Camelot.'

The animation is smooth, vibrant and true to the style of the illustrations in Dr Seuss, books while the rhyming narrative was true to the text in the books. The musical score had some fantastical charm and the Cat in the Hat narrating the story was a pleasant surprise. Mayzie is an adorable, endearing character who I deeply sympathise with because other classmates tease her fro the daisy sprouting from her head and she gets upset about nobody loving her until the daisy does the 'loves me, loves me not' tradition.

Overall this is an endearing work of animation and definitely the best of the 'Best of Dr Seuss' DVD. 8/10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A wonderful and entertaining movie, but it's not without its flaws.
j-jessie-weaver19 April 2013
I remember having "Daisy-Head Mayzie" on videocassette when I was around three or four years old, and I loved it, mainly because the Cat in the Hat was in it. Now, in 2013 of this year, I was so happy to find it on YouTube last night. It felt great to see a lost piece of my early childhood once again.

However, I now realize this movie is not without a couple of flaws. The rhyming isn't all that perfect, and there is almost no explanation for some of the scenes. I understand why people are saying it's not the best "Dr. Seuss" special in the world, but I still love it, nonetheless. The animation is excellent and really lives up to Theodore Geisel's illustrations.

Overall, if you or your kids are Dr. Seuss fans, I highly recommend this special, regardless of its flaws.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Charming Dr Seuss animation that you get more out of on second viewing
TheLittleSongbird2 April 2013
Daisy-Head Maizie, both as a story and an animated adaptation, may not be the best of Dr Seuss, but for someone relatively new to the story and as someone very fond of Dr Seuss it was treat. The animation is bright and colourful, with every background and character drawn simply but elegantly, while the whimsical scoring and cheery songs are also winners. The writing respects Dr Seuss' style with the dialogue, rhymes and song lyrics witty and bouncy. What's also great is how well you makes you laugh and cry without being too forceful. The story may be somewhat slight and sentimental, but also undeniably charming and fun, the sort of story you get more out of on subsequent viewings. The characters are memorable and engaging, and the voice acting is terrific, Henry Gibson and Tim Curry in particular standing out.

All in all, charming and well done, the more you're familiar with it the more you get out of it. 9/10 Bethany Cox