IMDb > "Caroline in the City" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Caroline in the City"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Caroline in the City" More at IMDbPro »

Funny but one scene almost out of place now

Author: Parker Lewis from United States
10 September 2016

Caroline in the City was likable and you would possibly put it in the same league as Suddenly Susan, another feminist 90s empowering show in the Clinton era and pre-9/11. We all expected Gore to win in 2000, but alas not to be.

One scene was very uncomfortable and was really out of place. Caroline's mother suggested going out to a Vietnamese restaurant for lunch, and Caroline slyly said something like, "As long as the food doesn't have a face". Cue audience laughter. Oh dear. How crazily offensive, and really, which writer was responsible for that genius of a line? High fives in the writers' room for sure.

It Was Good In The Beginning, Until They Added New Cast Members And Made Some Changes

Author: goleafs84 from Seattle, Washington
14 June 2004

When "Caroline In The City" first started, the ensemble cast was great, with Caroline, Richard, Del and Annie. They had good chemistry together and the way particularly Richard would trade barbs with Annie was hilarious. Even the minor characters like Remo and Johnny were great. Sometimes I would've like to have seen more of those two. They were a perfect fit for each other. Candy Azzara, who played Annie's mother was good as well.

Another one of my favorites, was "Shelly", played by Lauren Graham. Richard's ultra perky girlfriend. Lauren Graham played that role so well. My favorite memory of her came from the Christmas episode, "Caroline and the Christmas Break". Caroline couldn't get misseltoe, so she used oregano instead. Shelly asks what happens when you stand under oregano instead. Since Annie couldn't stand her, she said, "you say goodbye". After that, every time Shelly was under the oregano, in her perky way would say "goodbye". That was too much.

About midway through the first season, "tinkering" was done to the show. It started with the beginning theme and credits. Gone was the 10 second short of the animated "Caroline", which would give you an idea what was going to happen in the episode to a new beginning, showing different comic strips from "Peanuts" to "Beetle Bailey" and Remo's changing from a restaurant and bar to a small bistro. These were small changes; Although I liked the 10 second animated short; Without it, it changed the show somewhat. In addition, they added Andy Lauer as "Charlie", Del's delivery boy. He fit in the cast well, like he was there from the beginning.

One of my favorite episodes came from the first season, entitled "Caroline and the Watch". You got to see Maury Amsterdam and Rose Marie from "The Dick Van Dyke Show" teamed up one last time (About 8 months after that episode aired, Maury Amsterdam died).

The problems started in the second season, when they added a new love interest for Caroline; Joe DeStefano (Mark Fuerstein). He just didn't seem like he fit in well. I didn't watch too many episodes when he was on, but things really went downhill, when they introduced Richard's new wife, Julia. She was a "square peg" in the cast. I felt like she never fit in and I couldn't stand her. She was the reason why I quit watching the show, which was too bad because it was funny at a time.

Good One

Author: Rock1984 from Düsseldorf, Germany
24 August 2002

This show is pretty good, I watch it whenever I can find the time. It's not really outstanding, and there are better sitcoms, but the characters are nice and especially Richad has some good lines. Compared to Suddenly Susan this show is, well, a million times better, mainly because the characters aren't as annoying (except Julia).

Lea Thompson gets a show

Author: SnoopyStyle
21 August 2013

Caroline Duffy (Lea Thompson) is a cartoonist with a successful character. She hires grumpy starving-artist Richard Karinsky (Malcolm Gets) forced to lower himself as a colorist for her cartoon. Del Cassidy (Eric Lutes) is her ex. Annie Spadaro (Amy Pietz) is her next door neighbor best friend. For wacky physical humor, there is rollerskating deliveryboy Charlie (Andrew Lauer).

This works very well as a standard traditional Successful-Gal-who-Can't-Find-Love show. It lasted 4 seasons. It does ramble a bit with changing work and complications in the lead's relationships. Not all of it worked but Lea Thompson is always likable. It wasn't allowed a proper ending and it ended with a cliffhanger.

Author: goleafs84 from Seattle, Washington
14 June 2004

Very cute show

Author: Hope
10 July 2001

This show has to be one of the cutesy-est ones out there. It's perfect to watch when you have nothing else to do or can't sleep. I've gotten into the habit of doing that lately. It's an amusing comedy, though not one of the best out there. All in all, it is a pretty good show and I would recommend it if you like cute comedies.

the best show

Author: lia-12 from connecticut
25 March 2001

Probably one of the best TV sitcoms ever. I only wish it lasted more than 4 seasons. It's not very original, but it is still really funny. But, I could not STAND Julia! She really made the 3rd season bad. She was just lame and boring. Thanks to FOX and UPN, I can still see the re-runs, but I would like to see the UNAIRED episode. Also, Salty was one of my favorites on the show. For some reason all the episodes where Salty is a big part are my favorites. Watch and you'll see. Great show.

Lovely romance

Author: jupiterlark from NJ
12 May 2004

Caroline in the City is not stale. The only reason the series died out was because Caroline and Richard got together. The whole show was about the little things that could add up to something MAYBE happening between the two, or some chance encounter or such like a glance shared, "a moment" or something. It leaves you on the edge of your seat wondering. That was what was good about the show. Caroline in the City can be related to Lois and Clark, the New Adventures of Superman in that they both had characters that were always on the verge of getting together and that both shows ended after the characters got together. The allure was then depleted and the shows slipped away.

No hint of the potential

Author: Amazing_zeno from Toronto, Ontario
11 August 2004

The very interesting thing about this show is not the show itself, but its creator. A rather successful writer/producer named Fred Barron, who also created Dave's World. These two shows are thoroughly mediocre, but somehow he actually managed to do something wonderful. Check out the BBC sitcom "My Family" to see what this guy can really do. Funny in the way Caroline never was, which is to say that you will laugh at least once if you watch the whole run of the series, and assuredly more than that.

Sitcoms are the Special Olympics of comedy. It's very rare you find one that isn't retarded. My Family is the exception, Caroline in the City is the norm.

Caroline a CARTOONIST??? Don't make me laugh!

Author: Becca-37 from Rochester, NY
12 January 2001

I happen to be an aspiring cartoonist and I've submitted my work to several different newspaper syndicates and I've been rejected many times. But what I know from my personal experience is that cartooning just ISN'T a very cushy job and that it WOULD require LOTS AND LOTS of HARD WORK AS WELL AS STRICTLY DEVOUT ATTENTION!!! Not to mention all those deadlines that you would have to race against every time! So what's wrong with this little TV show here??? I don't see Caroline bent over her drawing board, hard at work, nervously drinking mug after mug of strong coffee to stay awake and fretting over every little detail and dialogue that she would make her characters emit, and so on forth. All those little things that we cartoonists usually face. Not to mention the fact all those shoddy drawings that Caroline seems to "borrow" are really nothing to sneeze at. Instead, we see Caroline dressing up, gossiping, drinking, flirting, going out on the night with her friends, going on fun vacations, aching her well-maintained body like a lovesick kitty over the graying Richard, anything at all that isn't anywhere near her very neat, obviously unused drawing board and art equipment. Sheesh...still another snobbish TV fairy-tale all about glamorous single people who live among the dazzling city lights.