IMDb > "The Beatles Anthology" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Beatles Anthology"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Beatles Anthology" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Simply Incredible and will live on forever.

Author: jjacomowitz from Suffern, NY
19 December 2001

This is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...so help me God. The Beatles Anthology is historical, remarkable and I'm glad to have seen it and own it before I die.

Miss you John and George and love you Ringo and Paulie-- and thanks for fulfilling my life with great music.

Absolutely fantastic

Author: acebogirlie from Frederick, MD
26 November 2004

In the Beatles Anthology, the three still living Beatles at the time and other insiders review the mythic story of the Beatles in their own point of view.

Including every Beatle event imaginable like Shea Stadium or the Ed Sullivan show, George, Paul, and Ringo comment- along with John's comments from interviews before he died. It also includes interesting insight on many of the songs written- especially on the Sgt. Pepper songs, "Penny Lane", and "Strawberry Fields Forever"

Now, when on Monday it will have been three years since George passed, and nearly twenty-four since John's assassination, this documentary is an amazing way to remember the boys and everything they did and impacted the world with.

It also includes two unreleased songs, "Free As a Bird" and "Real Love", songs John wrote and the others collaborated on.

This documentary is the best to remember the Beatles by.

Beatles' 'Long and Winding Road' well worth the ride

Author: Robert Kinsler (rkinsler@dvdcaravan.com) from Southern California
9 April 2003

If you could roll the respective significance of `Citizen Kane,' `Gone With the Wind' and `Lawrence of Arabia' into one film, you might have somewhat of an idea what the Beatles mean to contemporary music. Indeed, while Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly laid the groundwork, the Beatles forever defined the musical and artistic boundaries by which all future pop players would be judged. Indeed, the DVD format has provided modern day audiences with a chance to see why the Fab Four's legacy is something much more significant than a mere history lesson. `The Beatles Anthology' (released April 1, 2003 on DVD) picks up where the 2002-issued collector's edition release of `A Hard Day's Night' left off, providing more insight into the minds and music of the band that put Liverpool on the map. In addition to the in-depth chronology taking viewers on a magical mystery trip through the 1960s, new and never-before-seen material features interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and the late George Harrison at Abbey Road Studios in May 1995 as they listen to classic Beatles tracks with producer George Martin. The jewel of the release is additional footage of the three one-time mop tops jamming together in George Harrison's garden.

DVD extras? You get them here. Indeed, the DVD release features a bonus disc featuring approximately 80 minutes of material more than the deluxe, eight-volume VHS release that expanded on the ABC special broadcast on Nov. 19, 22 and 23, 1995. Needless to say, all fans of rock music and 20th century pop culture should own this collection.

A Long and Winding Road. . .

Author: Dastari from Chicago, IL
4 April 2003

Having just finished watching this entire series I will keep this short as it is as close to speechless I think I will ever become:

It's been said to me countless times of films that are well over two hours long. It's always something to the effect that the time just flies by and before you know it. . .it's over. I've never known that to be quite as true as it was for The Beatles Anthology. Each episode is well over an hour long, and there are eight of them, but it never seemed like there was a wasted moment. It progressed as eloquently as the band did itself, with ever scene and interview being a logical step forward.

I am a huge Beatles fan, but really didn't expect to like this. I'm not sure why I thought I wouldn't, but something just didn't seem right about it. I'm glad I didn't go with that feeling. It is truly awesome and congers up every emotion I think I'm capable of. I know plenty of people who are not Beatles fans, but I would encourage them to still give this a chance since it really is so much more than just the story of a band.

Still the best

Author: ebiros2 from United States
20 October 2005

Someone had to make this mini-series, and who would be better than the Beatles themselves ? For instance, who could tell with more believability that George didn't like the album Sgt. Pepper that much than George himself ? In this sense this anthology is very important, because all the information comes directly from the Beatles themselves. This DVD set contains additional comments by Niel Aspenall, and George Martin that's never been seen elsewhere which reveals the back stories about the production of Beatles' music, their earlier days on the road etc. Watch this anthology with video "The Compleat Beatles", "Making of A Hard Days Night" and "The making of Sgt. Pepper" (broadcasted, but unreleased in video) you should get pretty much the whole picture of the Beatles.

If I had one complaint about this DVD set, it's that the music is recorded so much louder than the voice track, and is difficult to find the right volume level to listen to. But of all the Beatles documentary videos that are out there, this one still is the best.

Every Beatles fan should own this!

Author: dbdumonteil
19 February 2006

Four DVD and it features all that made the Beatles the only historical force in the world of rock.It does not pass over in silence the less glorious moments (for example the Philippine episode or the doomed let it be sessions) .Some will complain because Lennon's comments had not the "Threetles"' hindsight ,but was there another way to deal with that? The fifth DVD is less interesting but it's a bonus so why complain?Its the equivalent of the Anthologies 1,2 and 3 released on CDs in 1995-6 All the important groups and solo artists should have an anthology like this one.It goes without saying that only the greatest ones deserve it!

Beatles forever!

Author: dkellaway from Cheshire, England
4 February 2002

The Beatles anthology fan-tastic perfect for any Beatles fan, i could watch the Beatles anthology over and over again and not get tired of it. Very interesting throughout with the Beatles themselves talking about what it was like being the center of Beatle mania. You must watch it if you havent already, if you have watched it again! 10 out of 10!

The most comprehensive documentary of the greatest band ever!

Author: vjose10 from Toronto, Ont., Canada
10 April 2003

This is indeed the most comprehensive documentary (or "rockumentary") of the greatest band/artist of all time. Although the total length of the newly released 5-DVD box set lasts for more than 11 hours, it sure doesn't feel like it! It doesn't drag a bit at all, and you will be thoroughly entertained from beginning to end. This is essential, not only for all Beatles fans, but also for anyone with even a passing interest in pop/rock music! This collection easily supersedes any previous Beatles documentaries... including the fabulous "The Compleat Beatles"(released in 1982), which is out of print anyways.

Enjoy!!!

The Center of the Music Universe, 1962-1970

Author: Philip Hahn (phahn@cinbell.com) from Cincinnati, Ohio
14 August 1999

The Beatles were the center of the Pop Music universe for the eight years they were actively recording, an anchor from which all other 60's music radiates. If you are interested in how the best 14 albums ever made came to be, you have to see the whole thing.

The story is told in the words of the Beatles themselves, and a couple others like George Martin and Neil Aspinall (their chief roadie). Along with footage from concerts and their movies, it's several interviews editted together, but you never hear the interviewers, you only hear Paul or George or Ringo or John's response to the question, and it comes together into a seamless history of the greatest band Rock and Roll ever knew.

A true treasure for any true Beatlemaniac

Author: Sebastiannils1 from Helsingborg, Sweden
14 March 2002

Amazing, I see the four figures on the TV screen and as usual when I see them they I get very concentrated. The interviews are outstanding and all the questions are satisfactory(to say the least) answered.

Paul, Ringo and the late John and George are so good that you wish that you were born in the fifties just so that you could see this band perform live. New things that I did not know of was said mostly about Ringo but some of the others too.

And the music is not so bad either

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]