IMDb > "American Gothic" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"American Gothic"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"American Gothic" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

one of the worst examples of network programmer incompetence

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
28 January 2002

American Gothic was one of the best shows ever on TV. Stephen King took several stabs at TV with little success; American Gothic was the show he should have created but didn't.

CBS really seems to have deliberately killed this show. When I watched it I was confused by jumps from one episode to another, characters appeared and disappeared, motivations weren't explained. When the sci-fi channel showed the episodes I discovered the horrible truth: CBS had show the episodes out of order. They had left out episodes. They had taken a show with a series arc and chopped it into little pieces. They also, as I recall, moved the show around and showed it inconsistently. The sad thing is that the incompetent suit who did this is probably still working in TV, making tons of money and destroying other shows. This person should be working as a janitor somewhere.

Who Knew There Were So Many AG Fans Still Out There....

Author: bouviermom from Bakersfield, CA
2 February 2005

My late husband worked on this wonderfully perverse series as production controller (I believe that's what the studio called it) - anyway, the guy who managed all the money on location in Wilmington, NC. Over the years, he worked on many productions we could barely stand to watch when they were completed. Not so "American Gothic". We were both thrilled with "AG" and bitterly disappointed at how CBS ran this unique series into the ground. I do hope Universal gets a clue and releases all the episodes on DVD, I'll be at the top of the list to get a copy. It's great to read all your comments, It's so heartening to me that so many people saw "AG" for the breakthrough series it was and still regret its demise.

This is pure cult

Author: legend316 from London, England
19 June 2001

There is no justice in the world. I saw American Gothic years ago and was very impressed with it. I was so impressed with it that I taped all the episodes. I was very disappointed when I heard that this series was cancelled after one season. How come so many people missed this great series ? Or were they appalled by some characters in the series ? I really don't know. As happens lots of times crap keeps existing (f.e. Buffy) but really great legendary stuff like American Gothic gets axed after one season.It's just not fair.

American Gothic is about a small town called Trinity in which sheriff Lucas Buck upholds (or breaks) the law in his own special kind of way. Nothing special you would think. But......... Lucas Buck isn't human. What he is we really don't know but he sure looks like the Devil incarnate and he has some special powers to boot. You are either with him or against him, but it's better to be with him. He is probably the best bad guy I have ever seen in any kind of tv series. The series has this mysterious eerie kind of feeling and that's also an factor that makes this series so great.

If you have never seen this series and it is rerun on some channel grab your chance. I don't think you will regret it.

As for the moneygrabbing dvd producers: RELEASE THIS SERIES AS A COMPLETE SEASON SET. IT DESERVES A DVD RELEASE. Because I know for sure there is a core fan following out there that would pick up an American Gothic dvd release just like that. So what are you producers waiting for ?

Remarkably Good

Author: carflo from Texas
23 November 2003

I stumbled on this series rather by accident. After half an episode, I was hooked. American Gothic was a dark, strange series with Gary Cole as the mysterious, probably evil Sheriff Buck who is trying to gain control of his illegitimate son Caleb, played by Lucas Black. I was impressed with Gary Cole's sinister sheriff and I was even more impressed with Lucas Black. Lucas Black's Caleb was able to stand up against Sheriff Buck, one of the most frightening characters ever created for a TV series. I have rarely seen a child actor with as much presence or talent as Lucas Black. If you were not lucky enough to see Lucas in American Gothic, see him in Slingblade.

It was a remarkable show with many ambiguities and mysteries that were never explained during it's short run.

AG has left me haunted... 10 years later.

Author: (mikey01134) from United States
4 February 2005

Man did CBS blow it. This series was incredible and ahead of its time. I remember making a point to watch it weekly. And how disappointed I was when CBS kept tossing it around like a bastard son. The many nights when I expected it to be on, it wasn't! Sometimes it be 2-3 weeks before they'd air the next episode! Are they sadists? I'm not one of those tools who makes a point to watch shows like Friends and "Must See TV" weekly (I have a life). But American Gothic was different, it called me, and I obeyed it's call. But CBS let us all down and destroyed this wonderfully dark program.

I hope it is released on DVD very soon. Side note: The kid who played Caleb was amazing. Hardy Boy Saun Cassidy- way to go!

This is one of the best shows I have ever seen ...

Author: gumbos from England
27 April 2004

I was 8 years old when this was made ... could have been shown later as I live in the UK but never the less I was about 8 or 9. I remember watching the first ever episode ... a family birthday party I think it was and then the chant, "Someone's at the door" ... As soon as (I think her name was) Merlyn said those lines I knew this was going to be one hell of a show. I thought this was the best TV show I had ever seen (I was only 8 at the time) and still do to this day. This was brilliant. the acting was superb and the story line was, at times, disturbing, beautiful, engrossing etc etc. American gothic is fantastic. I remembered about it a couple of days ago and thought I should come on here and pay my respects to it. I dont ever remember watching the last episodes... Maybe it was cancelled here too. I've been looking for it on DVD but can't find it. Has it been released on DVD yet? If it hasn't then it should be 'cause it would make a lot of money!

Intriguing and intoxicating

Author: laura_j_morton from England
1 May 2005

The best TV show in its genre.

With amazing performance from the young Lucas Black (Caleb Temple), and Gary Cole's best performance to date, as the sinister yet charismatic Sheriff Lucas Buck. You can not afford to miss out on this series.

One that should definitely see the light of day again, not only on DVD for everyone to enjoy but rejuvenated into the Movie that has been rumoured for the past two years.

From the stand alone episodes of "Damned If You Don't", "Meet The Beetles" and "The Strong Arm Of The Law" to the main story arc, anyone who has not seen this show has missed out on a real treat.

This show is screaming to be released as a DVD box set!!!!!!

Author: zorbatar from Pittsburgh, PA
8 September 2004

Who would have thought that Shaun Cassidy, the teenie bopper of two decades ago would have a dark side to him. A dark side nothing short of pure brilliance. "American Gothic" is a show that stands alone in the world of television entertainment. Never before and never since has a show been aired on a major network with such a deep devotion to production and attention to detail on a subject never touched before. Great character development, superior acting and directing, fabulous story arcs and wonderfully filmed.

I know of several people who made it a point to stay home on the evenings this show was aired. One quit a bowling league and another sold their tickets to the Pittburgh Penguins games on the night the show aired. When was the last time you heard of a devoted following like this, especially in this day and age of VCR's and Tivo?!

CBS Cancelled this show because they said it didn't follow the format of their line up for the rest of the week. If that's the case, why was it aired in the first place? They had one of the best shows ever to grace the TV screen, and they just cast it aside as if it was another one of their flops. Shame on them for showing no respect for imagination and ingenuity.

Unfortunately, this show will never be renewed again with the original cast. Most of the actors have said they enjoyed working on the show, but are involved with too many other projects to return.

The show also suffered from the TV Guide jinx. Three weeks before the show was cancelled, Gary Cole appeared on the cover as Sheriff Lucas Buck, with a feature article about him and the show. Sports Illustrated isn't the only magazine to disrupt a season.

Instead of being bitter about not being able to see this show anymore, I'm very thankful that it was aired at all. AG was so different and so forward thinking, that the fact it was aired at all is a tribute to the producers, actors, writers and all involved. Just try and put this show on the air today. If it's not an intellectually insulting reality show, it wouldn't have a chance at all.

I don't think Universal realizes the following this show has. One of my other favorite shows, "Babylon 5", had a rather difficult time having a box set of the first season produced because of doubt in sales. The first season was so well received, the remaining four seasons and movies were all produced within a two year period! Universal should heed the call for a box set of AG. The show deserves it. Especially after the way CBS pulled the plug on it and how the Sci-Fi Channel butchered the showings of this tremendous show.

Fortunately, many fans have banded together on web pages to continue the storyline and uphold the faith in American Gothic. Just do a search on Google, and you'll find them.

Yes, this was a fabulous series, which was unfortunately cancelled by those who are more concerned about the viewers with attention spans of a newt. I'm just glad that I was there when it came around. Appreciation of great television work is so few and far between, that seeing it is like seeing a shooting star. It's so beautiful to behold for such a short time before it's gone.

Thank you shaun Cassidy, for allowing us to enter into a world of yours we never knew existed.

American Gothic MUST be brought out on DVD or we'll pine away!

Author: zannatlaws from Australia
26 March 2005

It is so nice to know that there are other people out there in the world who remain as passionate as I do about American Gothic ten years on.

I loved this series even though the TV network showed the episodes in the wrong order or often missed them out completely. It was wonderfully written showing a facility with language that is very rarely seen in American programmes (sorry USA but it's true!). The acting was fabulous - but then I have long been a fan of Gary Cole!

So, I have signed all the petitions to bring this series out on DVD but still nothing seems to have happened. I accidentally taped over the few episodes I had managed to copy and have bitterly regretted it ever since.

With so much interest in American Gothic continuing worldwide - surely someone must get the hint?!

Fantastic trashy wonder now repeated in the UK

Author: lisarull from UK
23 May 2003

Hilarious to see the praise heaped on this programme here - and of course all of it long after the original air-date. In the UK C4 picked it up and I became hooked on its spooky qualities (remember we didnt have Buffy back then - thats the GOOD Buffy series before it all went a bit pear-shaped). Now Sky are re-showing it on Thursdays (after Buffy and Angel) and its a delight to remind myself why I liked it. After years as "Midnight Caller" (which people either loved or loathed for its goodie-morality) Cole's performance as the maleavolant Buck is fantastic. Is anyone else still haunted by the episode with the mirror and disfigured face? That STILL spooks me when I recall it! Good to have it back and can I add my support for a DVD/video release to include the UK? We liked it here too you know!

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]