IMDb > Nu ren si shi (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Nu ren si shi More at IMDbPro »

Toast to the heroine!

Author: masanori1730 from Tokyo, Japan
21 February 2002

I was very impressed by a woman who is the heroine in this movie. She is very strong and brave, though she is always put in difficult situations to have to take care her father in law, who seized with Alzheimer's desease. At first she was treated badly by him in everyday life, but finally he seemes to trust deeply her rather than his own relatives. I think, but for her support to the family,there would have only been collapse in the family. Anyway this movie is one of my most favorite ones.

One of the most touching and heartwarming dramas out there!

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
30 April 2015

This is an excellent drama from director Ann Hui, a touching story about the Sun Family that includes businesswoman May (Josephine Siao), her husband Bing (Kar-Ying Law), and their son Allen (Allen Ting). They have been handed the difficult responsibility of caring for Bing's father Lin (Roy Chiao), who has Alzheimer's, following the death of Lin's wife, Ying (Sin Hung Tam).

From start to finish, this film's ensuing drama is heartfelt as we see the family making sudden life adjustments and sacrifices in order to care for the ailing Lin, who's own personality is difficult to deal with. The poignant moments in the film will resonate with you in how it might feel to lose a loved one or see a loved one struggle with a long-term illness. The story reminded me of the time my family and I went through when my grandfather passed.

While a powerful drama that can be a tearjerker, there are some humor and lighthearted moments where appropriate, and they are a welcome departure to the seriousness of the plot. Writer Man Keung Chan wrote a outstanding story, director Ann Hui directed a solid plot and composer Yoshihide Ôtomo created a music somber that is both sorrowful and hopeful. In addition, hands-down to an excellent cast of characters who each delivered a powerful performance. They all had great chemistry together and connected with the viewers - all making us see what a typical family can be like.

Overall, it's a film that will make you appreciate what you have, including your family, and make you not take anything or anyone in your life for granted. A great movie!

Grade A