IMDb > Wyatt Earp: Return to Tombstone (1994) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Wyatt Earp: Return to Tombstone (TV) More at IMDbPro »

The nostalgia feels good. Popular lawman returns.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
5 March 2001

New footage combined with colorized segments from the popular TV series. Interesting enough to hold your attention and revisit days of old, when we had sanitized violence to watch. Of course, Hugh O'Brian will forever be our minds personage of the famed lawman with his trusty "Buntline Special".

Just a few of the memorable faces in the cast include: Paul Brinegar, Bing Russell, Bo Hopkins, Martin Kove, Don Meredith and Harry Carey Jr.

Better than leaving that old film in the vault

Author: Nozz from Israel
11 July 2009

Why did they plaster Hugh O'Brian with pancake make-up to depict the elderly Wyatt Earp? Was Earp a mutant whose face only got wider with age instead of wrinkling? Or was the idea that the photo quality of the new footage shouldn't differentiate it too harshly from the old colorized footage? Anyway, even painted an inch thick, O'Brian didn't need his standing bolstered by the voice of Johnny Cash on the theme song and narration. On the contrary, I think the movie was weakened by its clutch at Cash's coattails. The original TV series used a choir as musical backing, and that was the show's uniqueness. Sometimes the best form of emphasis is not the predictable form but a contrast instead.

I don't remember the original TV series very well, but maybe given the advantage of many more hours of storytelling, it managed better with the large configuration of individuals and factions that comes with the Wyatt Earp story. In this movie version, they required close attention and the viewer didn't get much insight in return for that attention.

Nonetheless, the emergence of this material from the vaults has got to be cause for celebration. This was the Wyatt Earp of a whole generation, and deserves to be remembered together with the older and newer ones.

"...and long may his story be told".

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
24 July 2010

Hugh O'Brian was seventy years old when he made this picture and though it was good to see him once again, he looked almost out of place revisiting the scene of Western history's most famous gunfight. I like to remember him as the strapping Western hero Wyatt Earp of the Late Fifties TV show. Segments from that series are put to good use here, colorized for a modern day audience that would find it hard to appreciate the days of glorious black and white. But you have to admit, the acting from those days was pretty wooden and the villains didn't seem to be all that menacing. The way the story plays out here tends to be confusing at times with the back and forth blame game between the Clanton's, McLaury's, Johnny Ringo and Curly Bill Brocius. In fact, the latter two weren't directly involved in the historical events leading up to the OK Corral, so their inclusion in the story was one more question mark for viewers to consider.

Interestingly, most of the actual gunfight as presented in the reworked TV footage comes as close to historical accuracy as possible. The real deal only lasted about thirty seconds with about thirty shots fired between both factions. Knowing this I kept track of the shots fired in the picture and I came up with twenty three, but I certainly could have missed a few. If I ever get this on DVD, I'll be certain to replay it for more accuracy.

The outcome of the battle was also historically correct. The McLaury brothers and Billy Clanton died in the fight, while Ike Clanton and Billy Claiborne ran away. Morgan and Virgil Earp, along with Doc Holliday were wounded, while Wyatt Earp came out without a scratch. This undoubtedly further fueled his reputation as a feared gunfighter.

Old time fans like myself will get a kick out of seeing the original players from the TV show - John Anderson, Trevor Bardette and Paul Brinegar to name a few, along with the highly unusual casting of dandy Don Meredith as a bartender in one of the 1914 'modern' segments. The story itself however does plod along at times, and trying to keep up with events in the second half might glaze your eyes over. But it's worth your while to get another take on the famous Gunfight, one that's about as close as you'll get to the real thing.

Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp, brave, courageous and bold...

Author: heathentart
13 September 2009

Long live his fame and long live his glory, And long may his story be told.

I can remember the theme to this day. The original TV program was a regular stop on my viewing schedule as a kid. My adulation of the legendary lawman composed of many hours pouring over books about Wyatt Earp and those wild West days.

Wyatt Earp: Return to Tombstone is a nice walk back in memory, but it doesn't play half as well as during the Western craze on American TV. It's wonderful seeing the old series, interspersed in new footage with an older, wiser Hugh O'Brien, BUT, it would work so much better if they just bring back the old series in its entirety.

The "current" story just doesn't ring true, hence, the entire film is choppy and uneven. Too bad, IMO, as "Wyatt Earp" was one of the best TV shows ever produced.

I give it 7/10 because of the old footage, but would've given it a 9/10 if the "current" story was better.

A let down

Author: RONY-3 from Philippines
14 September 2012

This was movie mostly a retrospective or flashback from the original; series. It's not like other reunion of old TV shows like Gunsmoke, The Rockord Files, Perry Mason, Kojak, McCloud, the Andy Griffith Show which was Return to mayberry and Get Smart wherein something actually was happening. Wyatt spent most of the movie meeting people he knew and reminiscing about the past like his conflict with the Clantons, his meeting Ned Buntline and how he gave him the Buntline special while he was looking for someone. I was hoping for some action. I wonder why they didn't do a thing on his relationship with Doc Holliday that's big part of life as well as the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

Return to Tiresome

Author: vitachiel
13 July 2007

This was a very long sit (sic). Did people in those days really enjoy these series? Probably by lack of something better. Bad plot, bad acting and very lame fighting scenes. I have not seen much of these western-style type series, and I hope I don't have to see a lot more in the future. Because I hadn't heard of Wyatt Earp beforehand, I was a little confused in the beginning. But the time difference between the two periods became noticeable quickly enough when looking at the quality of the footing. Many of the story lines I could not really follow, but I couldn't care less. All the time while watching this movie I tried to find something that could hold my attention. No luck. I give this one 2/10 instead of 1/10, thanks to good ol' Johnny Cash...