IMDb > With Honors (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
With Honors

With Honors More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Terrific, moving film.

Author: James B. from madison, wi.
31 October 1999

"With Honors" and the French-Canadian film "Jesus of Montreal" are my two favorite films, period. "With Honors" means so much to me...it takes on an issue - homelessness - that most film studios won't touch with a ten-foot pole. Then, it manages to make a funny, warm, touching film that's also fairly mainstream in its appeal. It's amazing that someone could make a film largely about a homeless man into a commercially acceptable film without sugar-coating the issue, but they did it.

Stellar performances abound here, including Joe Pesci, Brendan Fraser, Josh Hamilton, and the spectacular Moira Kelly. With a great performance by the priceless Gore Vidal - who's also in another of my favorite films, "Bob Roberts."

There are also some nice shots of the Harvard University campus, and the film accurately re-creates the turmoil, joy, and passion and the hundred other emotions that come with college life.

Delightful

Author: marguerita29 from Sao Paulo, Brazil
15 January 2003

I´m one of those people who knows what to expect from a movie and the best part of it is that you can be surprised.

"With Honors" is certainly one of my favorite little movies so far. There are times when one gets tired from blockbuster-movies and cars blowing up and heros and spies and guns and the all-so-great 'wipe out the world ploy' (yes, I am quoting The Mummy Returns). I stopped by Blockbuster and decided I´d watch old movies and simple ones, so I got what I wanted but it was more than satisfying.

I love Joe Pesci and as surreal and unreal as his bum version was, you can´t help loving the guy. There was something very ´common place´ (the poor but incredibly wise man that is) about it, but the movie has it´s merits.

I knew Brendan Fraser could kick ass and look hot but I was pleased to see him act. The guy´s good and his character was really captivating, which gets the movie going.

There is a lesson coming from the movie, but it´s not one that will make you want roll your eyes (although it´s perfectly acceptable).

I watched it twice, and I´d watch it again.

Seeing It With a Homeless Person

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
18 December 2006

I saw this film when it first came out and as it turned out I saw it with someone who spent a few stretches of his life homeless. The late David T. Frank was most moved by the film and I take that as the highest possible accolade.

In a day and age when so few of us put anything aside as a cushion against hard times, lots of people are one paycheck away from being as homeless as Joe Pesci was here. Others like Pesci, have a debilitating illness and there's no place for them. The saddest of all are some of those with mental illnesses who are surviving on medication to keep psychoses under control.

Brendan Fraser is a Harvard undergraduate who is writing his senior thesis when his computer crashes, leaving him with only one printed out copy. I've had the experience of losing valuable files when the hard drive I'm writing this review crashed, so I know exactly where he was coming from.

Topping that off he loses that copy to Joe Pesci who's made himself a makeshift shelter in the boiler room of the Harvard library. Fraser finds Pesci throwing his thesis page by page into the boiler for some heat.

Pesci's got him by the short hairs and they make an incredible bargain. He'll give Fraser back his thesis page by page for favors done. Incredibly he accepts the deal.

More incredibly the two of them form a unique bond and Pesci goes to live with Fraser and his roommates, Moira Kelly, Patrick Dempsey and Josh Hamilton. Of the group of them I really enjoyed Hamilton's portrayal of the uptight pre-med student.

The four Harvard kids learn a whole lot about life and what's really important in it. And I think they all will graduate life with honors.

This review is respectfully dedicated to David T. Frank who checked out of life way too soon. Brendan, Joe, and the rest of the cast, this film deeply moved him, good job folks.

amazing

Author: nefar from California
29 September 2002

So i caught this movie in the store and thought I'd give it a go because of Joe Pesci and Brendan Frasier. It's a very rewarding movie about life, and how sometimes we need to step back and see that we're all human. I'll definatly have to commend Brendan on his acting, a great job, and he's won new respect. Heartwarming film.

One of the best movies ever written, watched and created.

Author: Sarimos (sarimos@hotmail.com) from Napanee, Ontario
22 August 2002

What couldn't you say about "With Honors"? I know! You couldn't say it was horrible, tasteless and uncreative movie. "With Honors" is what movies were intended to be like in the beginning of movie making. Like many or any good movies it has a great cast, excellent dialogue, and a small percentage of charm. In every cast members case this movie would have to be the climax of their career. Not one of the major cast members failed to become their characters. In fact, everyone hit a bullseye on what they were suppose to become. With four students and a bum, a college setting and a warm and interesting feeling, "With Honors" becomes a very realistic movie. One of which you wish was done on a home video, just to know that it was real.

touching

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
25 November 2000

This is a great movie with great characters and an awesome storyline. Brendan Frasier plays Monty who is obsessed with making it at Harvard, spending most of his time working on his thesis. In the story, Frasier and housemates (a great bunch, I might add) meet Simon, a sick homeless man who is living in a broken down van in the backyard of the group's house. Simon defies the stereotypes of homeless people, in that he's very smart and very classy when he wants to be...in an odd kind of way. Frasier is indifferent toward Simon, but thru the story, they both become very close, culminating in an awesome friendship in the end. The bad thing is--Simon is dying, because of asbestos in his lungs he picked up from working in the merchant marine. This is just an awesome movie, that's funny, touching, and downright beautiful. It's one of those movies you can't help but cry at. The acting is great, the movie is beautifully shot, and as I said before, the story is just perfect. The music is well done also. Great film. 9/10

Pesci gives a great performance

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
18 June 2000

Joe Pesci brings the best out of this film. The plot is OK, but Pesci, as the eccentric (yet downtrodden) bum Simon Wilder, keeps it together. He is funny, heartwarming and good at what he does- and that is acting. Brendan Frasier is also good as the college harvard who find Simon and makes the plot go around. Usually funny, usually sad, OK in my book (if I have such a book). A

With Honors

Author: m_cool523 from United States
7 November 2006

This is a fantastic movie and I loved it! Basically, Monty is a Harvard student who thinks he knows it all and is writing his senior thesis but while running to make a copy of it (cliche, his computer crashed and he only has one copy) he slips and his work falls into the hands of Harvard bum Simon. What ensues can only be described as "masterful" as Monty and Simon develop as the story continues with different little twists and an ending that leaves you in tears. You can really FEEL the portrayal of the characters from Pesci and Fraser, but adding Patrick Dempsey, Moira Kelly, and Josh Hamilton completes the group. It is truly a beautiful film.

universal subject

Author: alexandrepiche from Canada
10 October 2005

I loved this movie for the subjects exposed in it. It speaks of freedom, integrity love for our selves and others, priorities and one nice look at a society changing towards individualism but never to far from mutual aid. the actors are terrific. Joe Pesci is simple and very transparent. Brendan Fraser is very good. Very smooth in his character's evolution during the movie. Moira Kelly, well beside the fact that she is very pretty. She plays an important grounding role. Patrick Dempsey, I never saw him much but this role was played perfectly. He plays the the kind very sensitives guy that does not take to much things seriously. And Josh Halmilton even though you probably wont like him at first he supports one feeling of wrongness trough the movie by not getting involved, fitting ones beliefs because thats Wat he was thought, and breaks down slowly trough the movie. Enjoy. This is the kind of movie you watch when you are down or that it is raining. It kind of makes things a little easier. Also see Dead poets society.

A heartwarming and heartfelt tale of love and life

Author: Jodie G from High Prairie, Alberta, Canada
19 May 1999

I watched this movie through once, then rewound it and watched it again. I loved it both times through. This movie shows that you've got to choose how to live your life rather than just let it happen. It's a very "carpe diem" experience ;) It's also a perfect mix of comedy and drama, Patrick Dempsey and Joe Pesci kept the laughs coming. Not for the cynical or the bitter, enter it with an open heart and you can't help but be affected.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]