IMDb > Witch Hunt (1994) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Witch Hunt (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Wonderfully Weird w/ a Message

Author: Edgar L. Davis (luludavis@aol.com) from Hardwick, Vermont
27 November 2004

This film was a pleasant surprise. The mixture of historical set design, good plot and political satire was refreshing in an age where everything political is

hammered home in a pedantic monotone. Sheryl Lee Ralph was excellent and

her dynamic presence begs the questions as to why aren't there more black

females playing prominent roles in movies that have nothing to do with gangs

and drugs. Dennis Hopper was actually playing a character instead of playing

himself as he usually does. Julian sands was his slick and sinister self. I don't know why he wasn't chosen for the role of Lestat instead of Tom Cruise. Eric

Bogosian was awesome as the corrupt politician. The special effects were great in that they were not like the CGI crap of recent films. They were old fashioned special effects in that they were not added to make the unreal look real but to make the unreal look...well, unreal. I recommend this film for all fans of

Hollywood nostalgia, costume-period pieces and political commentary.

One of the most enjoyable made for cable movies

Author: Michael Curry (irishnyc) from NYC
29 November 2003

This movie is one that I watch everytime it comes on cable, hopper is good in it as is penolope ann miller, it has great sets and mood and is offbeat enough to help start a trend that lead to all the good cable movies and series we are now accustomed to... (soprano's carnivale, six feet under etc)

Lovecraft has spoken!

Author: Randolf Carter from United States
12 January 2007

This one didn't rate as high as the first one (Cast a Deadly Spell), but it was still a great film. Dennis Hopper is always a great actor and does the lead role, very well in this movie.

A comedy version of the Lovecraftian mythos, this film really delivers what fans of this genre and fans of HPL are looking for.

The guys who have made (cough cough)screen plays of HPL's works should take lessons from this film and the first one (HIRE REAL ACTORS DUMMIES!) If you like horror/comedy, are a HPL fan. or just want to rent something, but all the new releases you wanted to see are already out, get this film and the first one.

It gets 5 tentacles and two pincers up WITH a bit of insane piping on the elder god-o-meter

Fun little detective story mixed with magic.

Author: Kai-18 from Tinsel Town
16 January 2000

Dennis Hopper is good in this decent murder mystery with an interesting twist and yet another shot at McCarthey-ism (not enough films like that, I just don't like that McCarthy guy). Anyway the characters are good and though the FX aren't big budget they are used with originality. Fun movie with some good moments (like the zombie, lateral movement thing). And it's a nice time killer too.

Loads of fun--great performances

Author: auctionmaestra from United States
6 June 2009

I have seen this flic a few times and have enjoyed it thoroughly each time. Great supporting performances. I liked Dennis Hopper in this, although I missed Fred Ward from the first one. Penelope Ann Miller was perfectly cast as well. Valerie Mahaffey and Sheryl Lee Ralph were great also. The special effects do not take over the picture, but are imaginative (the mirror effect)and the magical theory is well thought out and consistent. This is just an enjoyable urban fantasy featuring an alternate history (my favorite genre) of the U.S. in which magic is routinely practices and the social reprecussions spur a McCarthy-like reaction. Diverting and enjoyable.

Brilliant, Under-Rated, Under-Appreciated, Fantasy...

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
12 November 2013

Looking at the votes, one has to wonder not only whether those that saw this film actually understood it, and whether the distributor made an effort to encourage viewers in the first place. Not every "high concept" or fantasy film will turn into a classic, but, to this reviewer's tired eyes, this one did. Set in some sort of parallel universe where magic is possible (the viewer becomes comfortable with the premise, painlessly, seamlessly and within moments) this is a clever riff on the Bogie/Marlowe detective story, complete with voice-over, with a cherry-and-sprinkles sci-fi topper. The performances are nothing less than brilliant and you have to wonder, if this had been a mainstream production, whether they would still have been so badly ignored? Hopper does what might be the best job in his career, actually carrying the film, in a role similar to Jack Nicholson in Chinatown. Bogosian -- he of the distinctive voice -- left us a very small film legacy, but this one portrayal alone should live on in the film archive for some time to come. Julian Sands arrives late in the film but makes the most of his screen time, presenting one of the most pleasant villains since the Bond days. And, like Hopper, Penelope Ann Miller delivers what could be the best role of her career as a larger-than-life individual who made hard sacrifices to get that way. Recommended, and tell your friends. This film deserves more than it got.

Good Movie

Author: mckinney129 from United States
13 June 2006

All ways thought that it was an entertaining movie, kind of odd to see Denis hopper in it, but then again, that is what made me watch it in the first place. Cool little noir and magic story set against the 50's Hollywood back drop.

So if you want to enjoy a different little movie staring Denis Hopper, check this movie out. It really is decent, nothing to spectacular, and certainly nothing to write home about. Perhaps, just turn to the person next to ya, and tell them about it, maybe you'll all like it?

If not, sorry bout' ya, cause ya should, its kind of a decent movie. Denis Hoppers self proclaimed "Strangest role."

Witch Hunt & Cast a Deadly Spell .

Author: monaclej from United States
24 December 2005

I enjoyed these 2 movies on cable a decade or so ago and still think fondly of them, as they were good fun. I wish they would be released on DVD but doubt that will happen as only 1 of them seems to be available (on tape) as of now.

They were 2 in a pair made by HBO pictures if I remember rightly the first,"Cast a Deadly Spell" with Fred Ward in the lead role of "Private Detective Harry Philip Lovecraft" , and the second,"Witch Hunt" with Dennis Hopper playing the part Staged in the 1940's period ala "Sam Spade" and Joe McCarthy(The Commie crazy freak) in Hollywood where those who can use magic for their own benefit (read that as enriching their own careers and bank accounts) our hero is once bitten twice shy about using magic as it could backfire on the wielder as he learned earlier in time before these stories.

I enjoyed the assorted characters and situations and both actors played the part well though I must admit I've been fond of Fred Ward since the movie "Remo Williams" so I rather learn towards his portrayal of the role.

I liked it

Author: fsronce from US
20 March 2000

The style is very different from the original movie, "Cast a Deadly Spell", but I liked it better. The magic is stylish and the plot's not as predictable as the original. It's somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but still very entertaining.

Fun little detective story mixed with magic.

Author: Kai-18 from Tinsel Town