IMDb > The Legend of Drunken Master (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jui kuen II

The Legend of Drunken Master More at IMDbPro »Jui kuen II (original title)

Page 9 of 15: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Master Work revisited

Author: Basil Hoyl from DFW Airport Area, Texas
6 November 2000

The Legend of Drunken Master is a master work by a master performer. Jackie Chan gave us a movie which is both thrilling and technically excellent in fight choreography. While the film has some problems with continuity and non-fight scene editing, the fight scenes and stunts are superb. Personal relationships between the characters reminded me of the old I Love Lucy series. There were no sex scenes or demonic activity to disturb children. It is not a new film, but an old movie which was dubbed by Jackie Chan in his own voice and re-released. I went to see it on the big screen at full price and took my two sons and having seen it I realize I would have paid more. They are big fans of Jackie Chan. With appropriate warnings not to try this at home, they had a great time. Most movies from Hong Kong have people jumping out of trees of flying through the air and are obviously false. In this movie, people still jump and fly at the speed of gravity and it is obviously real! There is one stunt in the movie which is so hot I do not think anyone can ever forget it. It takes an ancient art and as performed by Jackie Chan it is taken to such a different level that you really would not believe me if I told you. You simply have to see it. The trailer with out takes proves this work is not easy or for the timid. Watch this movie at your own risk as all other fighting action movies will forever pale.

good but not great

Author: glen iwata (maverick-69) from bellevue, wa
5 November 2000

chan is good in this film, and the fight scenes are great as always. not as many fight scenes as i would have liked. the story is good. funny in places but not as good as some of his earlier films. when chan is drunk, he gets funny watching him move like he is drunk. but overall a disapointment that i saw in the theatres.go rent it. it's worth that.

this glass is full of wine

Author: itsclear
3 November 2000

The Legend of Drunken Master is a beautiful picture if you can appreciate Jackie's and his foe's effort to entertain. They go through pain for our enjoyment... try asking many actors in America to do half of what Jackie does would be like asking a turtles to do cartwheels while drunk. Try and appreciate this movie for the hard work placed in these long and beautiful fight scenes, and the movie will overflow your cup.

The plot is pretty bad and I do wish Jackie can be put in a movie that can interest the American audience with plot as much as he can interest them in the great choreographed fight scenes. And for those who comment on the strings... why don't you comment on him falling on burning coals? Sheesh, talk about only the negatives of a film why dontcha... damn glass is half-empty piece of turdmonkeys.

Some people just don't get it!

Author: Ben Lim (blim8183@lightmail.com) from Bothell, WA
1 November 2000

In my opinion Drunken Master II is one of the greatest Kung Fu movies ever made. Unfortunately after it was released in the U.S. not very many people understood the genius of the film. When I got to my first period class people were talking about it saying "Oh my god, i mean like the fighting was Okay, but it was just soooo boring, like his american movies are soo much better." One person went so far as to make the comment that "Chinese people just do not know how to make movies." and "It had a really bad plot." COME ON PEOPLE! It's a Jackie Chan movie, you don't walk into a Jackie Chan movie expecting an intricate plot and multi million dollar special effects. Chan's physical humor and amazingly choreographed fight scenes are special enough without the aid of computers. Now don't get me wrong, I love great films, I would much rather watch a Fellini, Kurosawa, or Kubrick film then the latest new release, but I also have a special place in my heart for just flat out fun action movies. The barebone plot of the movie just serves as a stage for Jackie to flow through performing amazing stunt after amazing stunt. And someone made a comment about seeing a wire! Please, the fact that you saw a wire doesn't make a film bad, the incident mentioned must not have been very obvious either because I havn't noticed it in the 5 times that I've watched the movie. I havn't seen the U.S. release because of the dubbing, but I own a copy on tape and I'll be watching it regularly and I recommend that anyone who hasn't seen the movie at least give it a chance going into the movie remembering that it's a JACKIE CHAN movie.

Anita Mui is hilarious as Madam Wong

Author: kawwwwww
26 October 2000

Madam Wong: Sure, she gambles, lies, disobeys - but a more honorable wife is hard to find.

Anita Mui: A great comedic talent. Every line and motion is delivered optimally for laughs.

If Steve Martin were a woman...

Jackie's greatest work. Now available in America.

Author: iron_monkey23 from Bradenton, FL USA
25 October 2000

After seeing less than stellar action in Rush Hour and Shanghai Noon, America finally gets to see the kind of action that has made Jackie the biggest name in action worldwide. His best work, in my opinion, but if the movie studios are smart, they will also bring over his classics from the 80s. Project A I & II, Wheels on Meals, Armor of God, Police Story(series), Dragons Forever, and Miracles both need to grace us with an appearance on the big screen.

We will not see movies like this coming from Jackie anymore because of all the laws and rules he must follow to make a film in the States. His greatest works have always, and will always, be in Hong Kong and for those of you of have yet to witness the perfection that can be achieved in fight choreography, go see this now!

Better with the original soundtrack

Author: Dan-531 from USA
25 October 2000

I have seen the original version of this movie DM2. The soundtrack was much better than the Dimension's remixed one. The original soundtrack can even entertains you more because the music is matched, fighting sound matched and everything was just so cool. Dimension is still very immature about re-editing. They can't make the movie exciting as it could have been. I wonder why they spent more time and money for a horible remix. All they need to do is dubbing and leave the original soundtrack alone, then that will do it much better than what you could see w/the new release. Overall this movie on the big screen was just excelent. A must see for action fans....10/10

Simply amazing!!!!!

Author: 123po from Skaelskoer, Denmark
25 October 2000

Together with Rumble in the Bronx, Amour of God and Fearless Hyena 1 this is one of the best Jackie Chan movies I have ever seen!!!!!. I'm afraid it will not be any better than this. So many amazing stunts and such great fight scenes in ONE film wont ever be encountered again...

BEST MARTIAL ARTS MOVIE EVER MADE

Author: (superfly_tnt1@hotmail.com) from St. Louis, MO
23 October 2000

I am a huge martial arts movie fan and have seen just about every jackie chan, jet li, donnie yen, yuen biao and sammo hung...ect. movie out there. This movie has the most and best fighting scenes in any movie, and its actually funny (not bordering on stupid like many of jackie's movies). It has at least 6 actors who show great martial arts abilities in this movie, as opposed to the usual one good martial arts bad guy and one good martial arts good guy. Anita Mui is reminiscent of Josephine Siao's role in Fon sai yuk 1 & 2, she is great in this movie. This movie has great character development, unbelievable fighting sequences and its funny with great acting. Don't miss it.

If you thought jumping between ladder rungs was cool ...

Author: NSMC 123 from Boston
22 October 2000

thats child's play compared to this movie, jackie chan is the best action hero, and this movie proves it, he does things that will amaze medal winning gymnist. From a crazy train fight, UNDERNEATH the train, to a hundred vs 2 fight in a restaurant involving chairs, swords, and falling stair cases. And the final fight is action-packed aswell as funny, as he names all the moves as he fights, like, Down the hatch, and monkey drinks master's whiskey.