IMDb > The Legend of Drunken Master (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jui kuen II

The Legend of Drunken Master More at IMDbPro »Jui kuen II (original title)

Page 8 of 16: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

There will never be a better martial arts movie

Author: matflat
5 September 2001

I got this film years ago. A widescreen subtitled copy. The quality was superb but after watching the film well over fifty times it has become rather worn. But I just can't stop watching it. Drunken Master Two was an awesome achievement in a martial arts movie. A true classic. Yes Enter The Dragon was a breakthrough, and the original Drunken Master was a breath of fresh air. But this film can be listed on the all time great films. The stunning fight work and superbly tight editing that had been lacking in a lot of Jackies movies of the last decade was there to behold. All of the performances were stunning, and for all of those people out there who didn't like it because it used wires, get a grip. The wire work in the film was so underplayed that I have never seen it bettered anywhere. The energy and strength of the performers was exhilarating to watch, and the final scene had me gasping for air and hitting the slo-mo button on my remote. A stunning and beautiful film for true and new martial arts fans. It's jus t a crying shame that it never got a proper theatrical release in it's wonderful cantonese language english subtitled version that I have the pleaure of owning. Everyone must see this film, and everyone should lobby to get it a proper release. I for one would quite happily give up everything to do this. It is an absolute gem of a movie.

Don't Be A Fool, Don't Be A Nerd! BUY THIS MOVIE!!

Author: David Butt (fantoomaz@hotmail.com) from Brampton
2 August 2001

Action, adventure, comedy, you name it! It's all in Legend of Drunken Master! This flick is filled to the brim with everything you need to make it worth your while. There are some parts where you'll laugh your ass off and even cry! The fighting scenes are absolutely breathtaking and chill inducing. I tried and tried to get my girlfriend to watch it with me and she wouldn't because she's not a big fan of action movies. But we were both bored one night and I told her that we could watch Drunken Master. "Oh why not?" she said. So we put it on and she was just enthralled by it. I told her so. This movie is a MUST BUY for fans of the genre but anyone could enjoy it. It's very entertaining and has a VERY high replay value. I've only watched it 3 times so far but there are many viewings to come.

Jackie Chan is brilliant and comes into his own at the end. Anita Mui is absolutely hilarious as Fey Hong's (Jackie's character) stepmom. Chong (not sure who the actor is) is also hilarious as the servant. The storyline is pretty average but the character development and the action sequences make up for it. It's just pieced together so brilliantly it's hard to explain. What am I doing?! Just go out and grab it! You won't be sorry whatsoever!

10 out of 10

THE BEST JACKIE CHAN FILM EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!

Author: Nick_Vorobyov from Toronto, Ontario
24 June 2001

Everyone who likes "Jackie Chan" will tell that this is the best "Jackie" film. This film offers couple of fight scenes nothing amazing till the end!! The best fight scene that took about three month to film, where you see "Jackie" fight his real life bodyguard and a friend "Ken Lo". I can say "Jackie" is funny as yet deadly in this film. This film has the best action packed ending sense I saw "City Hunter". Also if you liked this film you should give the "Drunken Master" a try. I haven't seen "Drunken Master 3" so I cant say much except that it doesn't have Jackie Chan like the first two parts which were amazing. So go see this film today!!!!!

Chan's best, and the best Martial Arts film in years.

Author: zacky902 (zacky902@excite.com) from Illinois
19 June 2001

This movie is Chan's best film and outshines every Martial Arts film ever made. I know it is a bold statement, but this movie must be seen to be believed.

*Possible Spoiler* 'Legend' starts out simple enough, a father and son (Chan) are returning home to Hunan from a trip. But when his father's ginseng is mistaken for an ancient relic, Chan gets in over his head.

What follows is the an orgy of fists, fighting, and fury in the best coreography in movie history as Chan fights off gangsters bent on getting back the ancient relic to sell to a British museum. The film begs to be seen, and must be seen, if not only for Chan's physical performance!

I highly recomment this gem of a picture. It is a shame that it didn't win over Box Office appeal when it debuted in America in 2000. It has found a home on DVD, however. Hopefully more people will witness Chan's humor, charm, and acting abilities in one of his non-American films. If you have been witness to "Shanghai Noon" or "Rush Hour," prepare to see a whole new level of Chan.

Absolutely Brilliant

Author: Atif Farooq (atif_farooq@hotmail.com) from Birmingham, England
23 May 2001

I would just like to say that I have just brought the original Chinese version of this film on DVD and it is quite simply awesome. The final fight scene is the best scene ever in a film and Jackie Chan is simply brilliant. I believe that this film proves that he is better than Bruce Lee ever was. Jackie's real life bodyguard, Ken Lowe, who is also in the film is also a great martial artist and without him the final scene would never have been so good. I am not saying that this film is only good for the final scene, the whole film is brilliant and all the fight scenes are great. However the final fight scene leaves viewers with nothing else to think about. I urge everyone to watch this film when they get the opportunity. No other mark could be given to this film so ten out of ten

the best martial arts movie has ever made

Author: (antimu85@yahoo.com)
9 May 2001

No wonder "The legend of drunken master" is the best martial arts movie has made with its stunning, magnificent fighting scenes.Jackie Chan has shown his utterly brilliant performance that made "The legend of drunken master" become a masterpiece( he has became a legend as well). If anyone has seen this movie ,probably should not waste his/her time/money on watching martial arts movies as lame as "Romeo must die" or " Crouching tiger hidden dragon" because of their stupid mixtures of cheasy romance and highly commercial entertainment."The legend of drunken master" is truly a must see movie and I would give this movie the score 9.75/10.

See the Chinese version, not the US re-release!

Author: McGorman-2 from Philadelphia, USA
9 May 2001

I wrote a very positive comment for this film a while back, and I stand by everything I said. But having just seen the newly-dubbed American version, I fear that people are going to get the wrong impression about Jackie Chan and about this film. The original version is amazing; the American version is terrible.

Let's begin with the dubbing. Some people apparently cannot deal with reading subtitles, but dubbing is infinitely worse. Many of the jokes fall flat when audibly translated into English. I can't understand Cantonese, but delivery and comic timing can succeed across language barriers. By re-translating much of the dialogue and getting some lame English-speaking voiceover actors (other than Jackie himself), the non-action scenes are unbearable. I was particularly disappointed with the voiceover for Anita Mui as the mother. She was much funnier in Chinese.

In addition, the score and all the sound effects have been redone, poorly. I can't understand why they would want to replace a good Chinese with a more generically Chinese, somewhat Americanized score. The change made me realize that the music is incredibly important in aiding the rhythm of the fight choreography. The new score fails to do that. And the new sound effects, while certainly less jarring to uninitiated viewers of chopsocky kung fu films, just fall flat. Sure, in the original some of the sound fx are entirely unrealistic, but that was part of the charm. It all fit together. But the new version stripped apart the ingredients and attempted to reformulate them in a manner more suitable for an American audience. In my opinion, something was definitely lost in the translation.

Jackie Chan takes the "Drunk" out of Drunken Master!

Author: PlainIce from Ontario, Canada
8 May 2001

Once again, Jackie Chan shows why he is truly a master of martial arts. This particular film, released domestically in the United States & Canada in 2000, is actually an older release from 1994. With Jackie Chan's rise in the USA, many of the major department stores (*ahem*) have taken to stocking some of Jackie's first films, usually putting them in their bargain bins. Thankfully, this movie rises above those productions of pure excrement. Obviously, everybody has to start somewhere, but let's watch Jackie as we know him now... not as he was back then, when he was just beginning to master the art of "acting" while bring primarily a martial artist. His acting still isn't the sort to win Oscars, but he is infinitely better than he was back then.

As with many martial arts releases, the plot line here is rather thin. There are more zany scenes and crazy hijinks here to keep the average Naked Gun fan happy. But who cares! I don't watch a Jackie Chan movie for plot... I watch it for the fight scenes! This movie doesn't disappoint!

While not up to the calibre of Enter The Dragon, Jackie Chan shows that he knows his stuff. Of course, you all know that Jackie does his own stunts, blah blah blah, he often injures himself while carrying out said stunts, yadda yadda yadda... and that's what makes him so amazing. Jackie flying through a plate glass window... Jackie fighting off six guys with a broken broomstick... Jackie falling down a flight of stairs... wait, that's Chevy Chase. I'm just glad there were no hovercraft in this film! When all is said and done, the fight scenes in this film are better than those found in most of his other films. They are quick, they are flawlessly executed, and they hit home. This movie doesn't have the big Hollywood multi-trillion dollar budget of Chan's recent films, so it has to rely on bare-bones, white knuckle martial arts.

Keep an eye on Anita Mui as Chan's step-mother. There never was such a kniving and deceptive woman in the history of martial arts films, and yet so innocent and absolutely hilarious at the same time. Excellent stuff!

Don't rent this if you are expecting a blockbuster martial arts film in the line of Shanghai Noon or Rush Hour. Rent it if you enjoy films which display excellence in martial arts, along with the typical martial-arts-style plot-line.

My Rating: 8/10

One of the Best I've seen...

Author: Neil Swan (n_swan@hotmail.com) from Kent, England, UK
13 April 2001

Wow. This has to be one of the most impressive films I've ever seen! So the plot is the usual swill, but the fight scenes are most probably the best I've ever seen. And yes, I've seen The Matrix, Iron Monkey and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Watch this film if you like Martial Arts. You will not be disappointed.

Jackie Chan's best movie

Author: hgulfraz (hgulfraz@aol.com) from Bradford
1 April 2001

From a land where honor and tradition reign, comes the legend of a martial-arts hero unlike any other. The "Drunken Master" can turn just one drink into devastation and humiliation for his enemies. His technique is fast, furious . . . and powerfully funny. Jackie Chan, the world's biggest action star, mixes high-proof action with a twist of his trademark humor as the renowned Wong Fei-hong, the young master of the "drunken" fighting style. When Chan mixes up his luggage during a train trip, he finds himself at odds with evil foreigners trying to steal sacred imperial treasures.

Never before have such elaborate, acrobatic fight sequences been captured on film. As Jackie fights to save China's imperial past, he faces hundreds of ax-wielding villains, dodges fires, endures scalding coals - all with the charismatic style that made him famous.