The Legend of Drunken Master (1994) Poster

The Legend of the Drunken Master
quinimdb30 June 2017
Rarely do films manage to find humor in tension anymore, as the action comedy genre seems to only be carried on through Edgar Wright. There is a lot of dumb slapstick out there, but the legitimately inventive and death defying stunts that could be traced all the way back to Buster Keaton. Jackie Chan is one of the rare actors that seemed to have endless stamina and complete physical commitment to his visual gags and fast paced action scenes.

Fei Hung is a well intentioned but arrogant fighter who learned his technique from his father, a master of drunken boxing. Yes, you read that correctly. Jackie Chan wobbles around, moving as if he is about to fall over at every second during his fighting, while simultaneously performing completely ridiculous moves such as the "flirting woman" and the "wheelbarrow", making a fool out of his enemies, and occasionally himself in the process. Due to its comedic tone, a lot of sound effects that I would regularly find exaggerated blend right in, because the movie is just that. His father, the master, encourages passivity and restraint in fighting, while his mother, who also happens to be quite skilled, encourages him to fight every fight with all he's got. However, when his type of fighting is fueled by drinking loads of alcohol, this is a recipe for disaster, and despite always trying to help others, he is torn between the encouragement of his mother and the restrictions of his father.

Credit is certainly due to Jackie Chan for his physical performance, but much of the effect of the action scenes is due to the director, Chia Liang Liu. He knew that the way to direct Jackie Chan was with wide angle shots that only cut when necessary, to see the full view of his stunts and choreography. Also, our hero doesn't always win. We see him disowned by his father and beaten down by his enemies again and again. This allows us to feel that our hero is imperfect and it's possible that he could lose with each set piece. It also shows that what really makes him a hero is his perseverance and eagerness to get back up and try to improve despite being knocked down so often. This is what allowed for such creative, intense, and hilarious action set pieces as the fight against the crowds of men with axes, in which he ducks and dodges and uses wooden benches and tables and anything in his environment as weapons to defend himself, narrowly avoiding defeat each time. Or the fight in which he takes on several men at once, while simultaneously being thrown bottle after bottle of liquor and proceeding to pour each one down his throat. With Jackie Chan constantly pulling off this perfect balancing act, it's easy to ignore that the reason the English ambassador fires all his workers is never really explained, and his motivation for letting Jackie Chan and his friend go doesn't quite make sense, because those really are small complaints in what is really one of the rare movies that continues to genuinely surprise, impress, and entertain for its entire runtime.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Herring is actually a bit better than I thought it would be.
Riley Porter26 June 2017
So this film is fairly uneven. On one hand, its story is either lacking in tonal coherence or is generally scatter brained. On the other hand, the fight choreography and stunt work is genuinely breathtaking.

The story isn't necessarily incomprehensible, though it seems to try very hard to be. I get the distinct impression that there was either difficulty in getting all the coverage required for the plot, or that the editor had a very fuzzy understanding of how to put all the scenes together in a way which made sense, mostly it feels like the former. At a certain point it literally feels like scenes are missing from the film. It doesn't ruin the experience, but it makes it difficult to be especially invested in the characters and their motivations. Speaking of characters, they're mostly fine I guess. Jackie Chan at least represents some kind of arc or emotional conflict that the audience can get involved in. For the most part though, a lot of characters feel underdeveloped to the point of being sort of place-holders. I guess the main takeaway is that this film would be kind of bad if not for the martial arts.

The martial arts and accompanying stunt work in this film is of the highest caliber. It's sort of to be expected of a Jackie Chan feature, but even so, there are some fights in this film which seem to defy all conventions of action and the laws of physics. Admittedly, a lot of it is pretty cornball. The sort of levity which is characteristic of a lot of the action is very fitting I think. It better compliments the light comedic tone of this film than more serious encounters might have. I mean, the fighting can often be a lot funnier than the sort of weird attempts at humor that come during the "down time". I'm not trying to undermine the legitimate tension that comes during some of the fighting. I'm just saying that the tone of the action fits very well into the rest of the film.

Despite the largely messy story, the martial arts action in this film is executed with absolute mastery. It's worth checking out by virtue of its highlights. Go for it, it's good.
Hilarious and Dramatic
patomartinezfgo13 June 2017
This movie is seen as one of the best martial arts movies, and for a very good reason. This movie is everything you expect from a Jackie Chan martial arts movie.

Let me start with the fighting, the martial arts and stunts in this movie are great. I was really impressed by all the things Jackie Chan is able to do over his 40. Jackie Chan has a very distinctive style of martial arts in which he combines slapstick with fighting as he uses his environment as means to defeat his enemies.

The comedy in this movie was great. I was laughing out loud through many parts of the movie, specially when he uses the now famous Drunk Boxing, which is hilarious to see. Jackie Chan's acting really sells all the crazy things that are happening. And the rest of the characters are equally entertaining.

One thing I was not expecting was this movie to have serious moments. But surprisingly, it did. When Jackie Chan was not drunk or fighting, there were some very interesting scenes with his father.

The only downside I can think of with this movie is the story. The story, in my opinion, is not really that interesting and it is hard to be hooked in it. It is the most generic story and I believe the first one has a much more interesting story.
Jui kuen II
sharky_5524 February 2017
Jackie Chan is one of the treasured icons of action cinema, and Drunken Master II is him at the peak of his game. No one but Jackie could play this role: he's the feisty Wong Fei-hung, and though he was nearly forty at the time of release, and sometimes looks older than his stepmum, he brings a youthful vigour and touch of immaturity to the character. A few instances of the mischievous tone of his early, more adventurous flicks even surface, such as when he dresses up as a jungle explorer to infiltrate the baddie's base (a costume that wouldn't look out of place in his Armour of God series). The original Drunken Master, two decades ago, saw him discover and hone his unique kung fu style, and here he has all but mastered it, but not quite mastered his tolerance of the drink. The performance is a marvellous one - the way he effortlessly switches into his drunken persona, dragging his heels and bobbing his head (now in a deep shade of pink), and how he makes it not just a physical transformation, but one of swagger and personality. Fists are flying but the grin is ever present on his face, and he turns missteps and staggers into deadly counters.

The story gets its kickstart from Fei-hung's own playful antics when he smuggles ginseng root into a suitcase in order to avoid paying tax and somehow stumbles onto a plot to smuggle Chinese artifacts out of the country and sell them for profit. Along with the stern, no-nonsense traditional father figure, who has his work cut out trying to prevent Fei-hung from abusing his talent, there are also the undercurrents of nationalism that usually find their way into Jackie's movies. Yet for all his theatrics and impassionate pleas to the Chinese thugs on the other side, the climax isn't a battle of intellect, but a purely physical spar. He makes his assault on the moody, murky steel mill, which with its mine carts, barrels of dirt, metal rods and giant pulverisers prove a useful playground for his action staging. The implicit suggestion is that if Jackie Chan can beat up all of these enemies, he inexplicably solves the case and wins the game - and fans wouldn't have it any other way. They don't watch his movies for the intricate plot.

The marvel of Jackie Chan's action is as precise as any of the silent film masters, or the choreography of the lavish musicals of the Hollywood Golden Age. Every jab is weighted precisely, every blow sounding with the same cartoonish 'whack!', and the humour he creates from weaving in and out of the environment, balancing and switching around props, all with that goofy grimace on his face, is second to none. I've always maintained that the only thing more deadly than Jackie Chan is Jackie Chan in a furniture store, with a baby in one hand, and a priceless vase in the other. Same may have possess his bravery (Tom Cruise comes to mind), but no western action star has the patience and technique to perform the way he does, in the style of fighting that he does, filming the long takes that let the fighting evolve naturally. The Wachowskis recognised this Hong Kong brand of action cinema and brought over the legendary Yuen Woo-Ping to marry the kinetic, rapid style with their Matrix movies. Quentin Tarantino would do the same with his Kill Bill two parter. But there's nothing like the real thing. And taking a peek at his usual credits gag reel only further reveals the painstaking (literally) lengths the man will go towards getting the right take, the right balance of humour and athleticism. His scenes make no attempt at masking the physicality and authenticity of the stunts: when we see him stumble and fall onto a bed of hot coals, that's really happening, and those scars are the real deal. Jackie Chan is now over sixty, and yet is still making movies, and performing stunts of his own, although at a understandably gentler pace. He should not be taken for granted.
Solid entertainment with
Charles Herold (cherold)14 February 2017
Drunken Master was a rather mediocre movie with some of the most amazing martial arts fights of all time. The Legend of Drunken Master is a somewhat better movie, overall, yet honestly, I didn't enjoy it quite as much. I liked the fight scenes, but somehow I felt less moments where I was blown away.

Surprisingly, my favorite thing about the movie is not Chan's fighting but rather a wonderful comic performance by Anita Mui as Chan's stepmom. I never really understood why she was always so intent to help Chan at the expense of her husband, but she was wildly entertaining.

The story is mainly coherent and moves well, and Chan does offer up some terrific fights, but I would not be as inclined as some here to declare this Chan's best movie. (caveat, I had a terrible cold when I watched this movie, which honestly could have affected my perception somewhat.)
Strong contender for Jackie's best
Leofwine_draca26 November 2016
Regarded by many people to contain the pinnacle of Chan's physical powers (at the late age of 40 in his life), DRUNKEN MASTER II was belatedly released in the US six years after it was made, after Chan had become a star over there. This much we know. But what of the film? Overall, the story and characters stand somewhere in about the middle of Chan's filmography. The first half of the film harks back to his earlier action-comedy days like the original DRUNKEN MASTER, except with a much higher budget so everything looks like it did in PROJECT A PART II now. The script offers a few choice gags but it's very much par for the course. Even the action is fairly straightforward, and of the cast only martial arts veteran Ti Lung makes anything of an impact as Jackie's straight-laced dad with Anita Mui in support as his stepmother.

At around the hour mark we get the first signs of greatness with the arrival of the "axe gang", hundreds of hoods who attempt to destroy our hero in a tavern. The action is fast and furious with Jackie using tables and bamboo canes to fight off numerous attackers, whilst director Chia-Liang Liu also gets in on the action! However, this does not prepare us for the finale of the movie, a twenty-minute battle in a steelworks factory. Hands down, the finale of this film contains the best action Chan has ever put on screen. He is nimble, funny, and does some great stunts with props and fire, so that everything looks dangerous. The fights are hard-hitting, and super-kicker Ken Lo is incredible as his chief opponent who comes out of nowhere to fight to the finish. A brilliant and protracted martial arts fight plays out, impeccably choreographed and definitely the best of Jackie's long career in terms of style, excitement, and pure incredible adrenaline-pumping superhuman manoeuvres. The ending alone makes this classic material and a strong contender for Jackie's best ever movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the Greatest Martial Arts Films?
gavin69426 January 2016
A young martial artist is caught between respecting his pacifist father's wishes or stopping a group of disrespectful foreigners from stealing precious artifacts.

In 2005, "Drunken Master II" was named one of the top 100 best films of all time by Time magazine. Wow. It is good, sure, but one of the top 100 of all time? Would it even be in the top ten for martial arts films? Time magazine thinks so.

Roger Ebert wrote, "When I did a seminar at the Hawaii Film Festival several years ago, comparing the physical comedy of Chan and Buster Keaton, martial arts fans brought in their bootleg Hong Kong laser discs of this film." This is an astute point. While they have a very different kind of genre from each other, Keaton and Chan are very much two sides of the same coin: comedy and action, through a complete control of their own bodies.
fun Jackie Chan
SnoopyStyle12 September 2015
Wong Fei Hung (Jackie Chan), his father Dr. Wong Kei Ying, and their servant Tso are taking the train. Fei Hung hides the ginseng in British consul's suitcase to avoid paying tax. On the train, he goes to take back the ginseng and encounters someone stealing a similar box from the suitcase. The boxes are switched after a fight and Fei Hung mistakenly takes the Jade Seal of the Emperor. The British starts searching the train. Government official Cheung Hok Leung (Andy Lau) is able to save them from the search. It's a screwball attempt to cover up the missing ginseng with the help of stepmom Ling (Anita Mui) when they get back home.

Jackie Chan is at his most fun. He is Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton combined. It's got kung fu action which he always adds his special brand of easy charm. It's got some great actors like the hilarious Anita Mui. The production level is quite good. The camera work looks sharp. This is a kung fu movie with a fun comedic sense and compelling story.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of Chan's best films.
BA_Harrison1 September 2015
A 40-year-old Jackie Chan proves that he still has what it takes to make the jaw drop to the floor with Legend of the Drunken Master, a period martial arts film that features not just some of the best fight scenes of Chan's career, but of kung fu cinema in general.

Chan plays legendary martial artist Wong Fei-hung, son of kung fu master and physician Wong Kei-ying (Ti Lung). Returning from a trip to replenish their medical supplies, Fei-Hung tries to avoid paying taxes on a parcel of ginseng by concealing it in a British ambassador's luggage; but when he sneaks into the luggage compartment on the train journey home to retrieve his package, he grabs the wrong bundle, mistakenly taking a precious jade seal destined for the British Museum. This makes Fei-Hung the target of a Chinese master, Fu Wen-Chi , who is determined to avoid the antique from leaving the country, and also the evil British ambassador and his henchmen.

What follows is an action packed comedy caper as our hero tries to hang on to the seal while keeping his promise to his father to not drink and fight. Of course, this proves impossible with numerous people trying to get their hands on him, and with drunken boxing as Fei-Hung's preferred style of fighting.

As with many Chinese Chan movies, there's quite a bit of broad comedy, which, depending on your sense of humour, you will either find amusing or bloody irritating (I tend to lean towards the latter), and the plot is far from inspired, but it's the martial arts that makes this truly unmissable, actor/director Lau Kar Leung capturing Jackie and his co-stars at their absolute best. An early fight between Fei-Hung under a train and a station platform quickly sets the bar extremely high, but that is eclipsed by a fun exhibition fight in a fish market and a spectacular brawl against countless axe wielding gang members in a restaurant (with bodies regularly falling from great heights).

The best, of course, is saved for last, with a blistering battle that takes place inside a steel mill and which has to be seen to be believed, the scene making good use of the surrounding props, with steel bars, flaming coals, chains and flammable liquids all playing a part. A one-on-one between Chan and high-kicker Ken Lo is my favourite part of the whole film: amazingly fast, with superb choreography in which the star performs some incredible acrobatics, this is so good that its impossible to do justice with mere words. Do yourself a favour and just watch it for yourself now! You can thank me later.

8.5/10, rounded up to 9 for IMDb.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Last orders at the bar please.......
FlashCallahan26 July 2015
Returning home with his father after a medicinal expedition, Fei-Hong gets caught up in the battle between outsiders who want to export ancient Chinese artifacts, and the loyalists who don't want the pieces to leave the country.

Fei-Hong has learnt the style of fighting called Drunken Boxing, which makes him a dangerous person when under the influence.

His father is opposed to any kind of fighting, let alone drunken boxing, but Fei-Hong not only has to fight against the outsiders, but he must overcome his father's antagonism......

The thing is with Jackie Chan movies is that story comes second the barrage of balletic choreography that is on display for all to see.

And again, the story here is your perfunctory tale of big people trying to overthrow the little people, and just as they are trying to make a stand to the man, Chan shows up right in the middle of it, and gets caught up in it, much to frustration of his father.

So it's a good job then that the film doesn't really give you time to think about the flat narrative, as the action scenes a wonderful, and show you that not only is Chan this generations Buster Keaton, or Charlie Chaplin, he is an elegant fighter.

Every fight is wonderful, and really brings the film back to the surface of affable.

If you are a fan of the star, this has to be one of his better efforts since the nineties, and puts all his Western movies to shame.

Hollywood just didn't know what to do with him, scaredy cats....
my favorite movie
kavishpurani8 August 2014
oh! the legend of drunken master,what a super cool movie. its martial arts are the best. I'd name it drunken returns. this movie is my favorite forever. all humans have to watch this. because this movie is to furious & awesome. Jackie Chan is my favorite actor. and also this movie is my favorite to. plus the drunken fist/drunken boxing is most powerful technique allover the world. when I saw this first time,I was so nervous. this movie is 102 minutes lengthy but in this you can see that the fighting time is 30-40 minutes! that's why this is my favorite! I want to say that all guys have to watch this. this is the best martial arts movie ever. that's why this movie is rated 7.6/10.
Where Jackie Chan's Fighting Skills Stand Out Above The Rest
eric26200329 June 2014
Next to Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan stands out as one of my favourite action movie stars in cinematic history. "The Legend of Drunken Master" truly showcases just how flexible and high-flying Chan is in one of his best martial arts action films out there (even better than the "Rush Hour" series). You have to see this with your own eyes if you want to catch my drift. This movie has one enjoyable scene after another. The simplistic display of storytelling will keep you intrigued along with the heart-pumping action, wonderful comical moments and a very tantalizing plot. The characters are very rich and vibrant like the comical performance from Anita Mui as Wong's (Chan) step-mom Ling to the insanely antagonistic bad guy Ken Lo as Jon/John. The casting decisions were well put together that adds dimension to the story and the characters.

The story is about an iconic folk hero named Wong Fei Hung, a well- meaning, but naive student in the art of Drunken Boxing also known as Zui Quan. Even though he tries not to get involved when trouble is on the horizon, he becomes a witness to British thieves who are robbing rare priceless Chinese artifacts out of the country. Wong feels it his destiny to use his unorthodox fighting skills to prevent this happening.

I know the concept of Drunken Boxing sounds utterly ridiculous, but it's anything but. When it comes to surreal fighting fight scenes, Jackie Chan is a master in this parameter. He makes these fight look real and very easy. And with all his movies, street-fighting appears all the time. But here, Chan's fighting is more aerial and flamboyant than compared to his other films and it's equally believable as the stuff he's done before in the past and present. The final showdown at the factory has lots of wonderful action, it's enough to make any action junkie's mouth water.

Jackie Chan is not alone in this movie. The supporting cast turn in some very enthralling performances as well. Wong's parents Ling (Anita Mui) and Wong Kei Ying (Ti Lung) are exciting to watch because they are very contrary to one another. Ti Lung is loving and caring father who wants best for Wong, but still believes he must inflict tough love on him. Meanwhile Ling is the more spontaneous step-mother who has good sense of humour, while still protects her son from getting into trouble with his father. The polar opposites between each other balance the movie quite substantially.

The fight scenes are some of the most intense I have scene in martial arts action films in cinematic history. One of the most memorable fighting scenes in this movie is when Wong and an associate take down every member of a large gang of hoodlums known as "The Ax Gang". I could elaborate further with this scene, but it's the exciting climax at the factory that really cranks up the heat as Wong takes down an army of bad guys before taking down the main kingpin.

Jon/John is played by Ken Lo. This guy is equally talented of a fighter as Chan and was great formidable opponent for Wong. His kicking ability is enough to put his own arms out of commission. Most of the fight Lo is kicking Chan's can all over the place. At one point his kicks lands Chan into some flaming coals and like every time Chan succeeds in keeping it real.That scene along will likely make your jaw drop. Then like when Popeye eat spinach, Jackie consumes some industrial beverage and regains his composure and manages to finish off his evil adversary which makes you wonder if fighting dunk has a better advantage than when you are sober.

The final scenes are just truly amazing and exciting. I guess the drunken fighting is to take your opponent off his mark but are at par with the drinker. Chan pulls this stunt off without a hitch. The fight scenes were beautifully crisp and well choreographed so much that you only wished those scenes lasted for days. If you like martial arts action movies and you have never seen this one, what the hell are you waiting for? This is a high-ranking action film up there with other action movies of this calibre like "Enter the Dragon" and "Iron Monkey". Lots of well orchestrated stunts and fight sequences, this movie will keep you entertained the whole way through.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Drunk or not, this one is a winner.
The_Film_Cricket12 May 2014
You don't attend a Jackie Chan movie for the plot anymore than you watch 'Duck Soup' to see if Freedonia wins the war. You watch to see a comic master at work. Like The Marx Brothers and Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd the plot of Chan's movies is more or less obligatory, it is a clothesline on which to hang some amazing comic stuntwork and Chan has never been better then in 'The Legend of Drunken Master'.

Made in 1994 but released in the states in late 2000, 'The Legend of Drunken Master' is Chan's best work of the 75 films that he has made. The reason, I think, is that care has been taken to make a movie that is as absolutely entertaining as any Jackie Chan movie can be. Watch the climactic fight in this movie and you will see martial arts as good as they get without help from the technical department.

I have observed many times what makes Chan's action scenes work. I think it starts with the level of violence, there is a lot of kicking and slapping but no blood, no pain (except in the outtakes) and no dead bodies. Chan's characters never fight out of toughness but rather out of reaction. Fear always seems to drive Jackie to defend himself and like Fred Estaire he always uses whatever props are at his disposal from a hat rack to a chair, a refrigerator, a ladder, a wheelbarrow, a steering wheel etc. etc.

The story of 'The Legend of Drunken Master' is really beside the point involving some business about a Chinese artifact and his art of Drunken Boxing which hinges on the theory that you can fight better when you are drunk. This gets him in hot water with his father but who really cares.

The surprise in this movie is Anita Mui as Jackie's stepmother who provides a very funny comic performance with skill great and timing– her best moment comes when she is clipped in the jaw and speaks for a few minutes in a broken-jaw mush-mouth with her mouth cocked to the side. The women in these movies are usually dimwitted bimbos dragged along screeching but Mui is smart has real talent.

I mentioned the climactic scene. It is the pure joy of watching a master at work and this one taking place inside a steel mill with Jackie and his adversaries fighting will all manner of fire implements and hot coals is Chan's best work. And just in case we have any doubts, every one of Jackie's movies closes with a series of outtakes showing Jackie getting hit, burned, punched etc. He may not be making movies that will change the face of cinema but here is a guy, literally, hanging his neck out for his art.

NOTE: I like watching these movies with the English dubbing because it always seems to add to its tone which always seems to set the movie just an inch off the ground.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kung-fu entertainment at it's best! Thanks to Jackie Chan!
KineticSeoul17 August 2013
This is the first movie where I saw Jackie Chan using one of his most entertaining to watch fighting style...The drunken boxing. Now this sequel isn't as funny compared to his previous Drunken Master film. But it's more entertaining, has better direction and fights, and a more better put together story and characters. Jackie Chan performed every stunt in this film and his sacrifice is totally worth it. As a matter of fact this is one of Jackie Chan's most popular trademark movie of his. I remember watching this film for the first time when I was a youngster and being so thoroughly entertained by it. I started to imitate drunken boxing and found it to be the epitome of a fun kung-fu movie. Now I don't care if others claim this movie is overrated. This film alone should give Jackie Chan the right to leave a mark in kung-fu films history in my opinion. I also liked Jackie Chan's mother in this film, she was like the Chinese Lucy from "I Love Lucy". Anyways this is a Jackie Chan's masterpiece. Anyone that like Jackie Chan films or Kung-fu movies should check this one out. Heck if you like entertaining and enjoyable films in general check this one out.

9.4/10
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Legend of Drunken Master! The Best Kung-Fu Ever!
tbills210 July 2013
Anyone who has ever doubted the legacy of Jackie Chan has never seen The Legend of Drunken Master, and they should go watch the movie immediately. You won't be disappointed. The Legend of Drunken Master is by far Jackie Chan's best movie. It's a truly masterful spectacle of kung-fu artistry, skill and power. The Legend is an awesome upgrade to the original Drunken Master. It has unbelievable kung-fu that will leave you in awe. The Legend of Drunken Master is one of the very best martial arts movies. While it isn't the best kung-fu movie, it has the best kung-fu action. I can think of a certain Bruce Lee movie that's damn good and better, but Enter the Dragon doesn't have as great of kung-fu action as The Legend. There's plenty of worthy kung-fu fight scenes in The Legend of Drunken Master - the beginning bout between Wong Fei-hung and Master Fu Wan-Chi outside the train and underneath it is extremely good, towards the middle the big brawl at the eatery when Wong and Master Fu fight against those 50 or more members of the Axe Gang is so good, and of course the end fight of Wong Fei-hung versus Low Houi Kang in the fire refinery is inconceivable cinema, entirely epic and the best part of the movie. The battle of the end of The Legend of Drunken Master is one of the very best action scenes I've ever seen, not only martial arts fight scenes. Jackie Chan is awesome as the Drunken Master. Wong Fei-hung unleashes a ferocious beating using his legendary drunken boxing style kung-fu, all while he's severely getting the living hell kicked out of him. This movie's great all for its awesome action, and the rest of the story isn't bad by any stretch, just not very great. The script is comical at almost every opportunity in which a serious moment isn't needed, which I think works good for the weaker plot it has. The Legend of Drunken Master shows a large amount of kung-fu movie formula in a higher quality standard. Jackie Chan's martial arts is amazing as his stunts are too. The Legend of Drunken Master may be critically an 8, but it has the feel and it hits you like a 10! The Legend of Drunken Master is so awesome and epic! Watch it to see!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the best martial arts movie of alltime, and jackie chan's best
daworldismine26 May 2012
this jackie chan movie is a masterpiece, and quite possibly his best moveie, it has the best fight scenes I've ever seen, as well as some great stunts, and the movie is also very funny delivering everything you expect from a jackie chan movie, my only criticism of the movie is its a little too long, but never the less this movie is always entertaining, at times breathetaking, even though this is a sequel of sorts to 1979's drunken master, but you don't have to have seen that to enjoy this as there doesn't seem to be any connection between the two, this is the better one though, and it remains one jackie chans best movies and i highly recommend
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unstopped action movie with impressive and rousing fights by the great Jackie Chan
ma-cortes21 April 2012
Raymond Chow-Golden Harvest production with plenty of action , humor , lots of stretching and fast kicking . It deals with a young martial artist named Wong Fei-Hung (Jackie Chan's role is supposed to be half the age the actor was at the time of filming) going back home with his pacifist father (Lung Ti is only eight years older than Jackie Chan who plays his son) after a expedition and he meets at a train a veteran expert fighter . After that , he is caught between respecting his dad's orders or detaining a bunch of ambitious foreigners from smuggling precious objects . Meanwhile , Wong aware a style of fighting called "Drunken Boxing" , a strange and engaging kind of struggle . Unfortunately , his daddy is opposed to it , let alone drunken boxing . Ultimately , Fei-Hong not only has to face off against the disrespectful foreigners , but he has to overcome his dad's opposition as well . Entertainment , comedy and amusement abound in this exciting story , culminating consequently with overlong and spectacular fights in the enemy headquarter of the nasty band led by a foreigner ambassador along with his evil thugs .

Hong Kong action comedy full of over-the-top struggles , excitement , thrills , ingenious stunts , slapstick , lots of fights but with abundant humor and tongue-in-cheek . This bemusing movie is packed with adventure , intrigue , unstopped action , and overwhelming stunt-work , in fact , the seven-minute fight at the end of the film took nearly four months to shoot , Jackie Chan indicated that one day's filming typically produces three seconds of usable film . Jackie Chan is top notch as one army man fighting a group of heinous villains and as always he makes his own stunts like is well showed . Awesome , incredible stunts and brief comic touches , as usual ; the picture is better constructed than Chan's predecessors films . The lighting-paced storyline slows down at times , but frantic action sequences make up for it . Spotlights movie include spectacular brawls , including bounds and leaps , impressive and interminable fights , a breathtaking final struggle between Jackie Chan and enemies . Jackie Chan actually crawled over the burning hot coals two times , he felt he "didn't have the right rhythm" the first time he did it . In addition other fine action sequences in overwhelming style . This is an acceptable action movie distinguished by nicely cinematography of the spectacular sequences , and contains agreeable sense of humor such as previous entries . Jackie Chan usually forms couple to notorious actresses as Maggie Chung and Michelle Yeoh . In this outing Jackie teams up again to prestigious Chinese actress Anita Mui , who plays his stepmother , a fine action star in their own right but sadly she early died by cancer . Both of them starred together several films such as ¨ Mr Canton and Lady Rose¨ and ¨Rumble Bronx¨ .

The ¨Wong Fei Hung¨ role is a Chinese historic character who has been played by several actors , as Tak Hing in numerous films , the same Jackie Chan in ¨Drunken monkey in the tiger's eyes (1978)¨ and Jet Li in ¨One upon a time a hero in China¨ series , ¨Dr Wong in America¨ and recently Sammo Hung in the recent version of ¨Around the world in 80 days¨ also starred by Chan . ¨Jui Kuen II¨ is a good action movie distinguished by fight sequences , noisy action and packs silly sense of humor as well as Jackie's subsequent entries . The picture achieved big success in China and all around the world . However , Jackie Chan's failed at Box-office in his American debut ,¨Battle creek brawl¨ . Chan is a hard-working actor and director throughout his long and varied career . Chan usually pays overt homage to two of his greatest influences as Charles Chaplin and Harold Lloyd . He went on playing ¨Cannoball¨ , ¨The protector¨ and "Rumble in the Bronx", until getting all American success with ¨Shangai Knights¨ , ¨The tuxedo¨ , ¨Around the world in 80 days¨ and ¨Rush hour¨ trilogy , and the recent ¨Karate kid¨. Of course , his biggest hits were ¨The Police story¨ series that won the Golden Horse Award, a Chinese version of the Oscar , the first was titled ¨Police story (1985)¨ directed by the same Chan , it was a perfect action film for enthusiastic of the genre ; the following was ¨Police story 2 (1988)¨ also pretty violent and with abundant humor touches . It's followed by ¨Supercop¨ or ¨Police story 3¨ and finally , ¨Police story IV : Crime story¨ . The picture is well produced by the great Asian producer Raymond Chow and Golden Harvest production and compellingly directed by Chia Liu and completed by Jackie Chan . Rating : Acceptable and passable , the picture has its sensational moments here and there , but also with abundant humor touches mostly provided by its agile star , the super Jackie stunningly accompanied by Anita Mui and Lung Ti . It's a perfect action film for enthusiasts of the genre and especially for Jackie fans .
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just add a lot of scotch with your martial arts
david-sarkies7 January 2012
This is a Jackie Chan movie made by his Hong Kong producers. Jackie Chan directed this movie himself (as he seems to do a lot) so all the bizarre stunts that he does, he does because he chooses to do them. This movie is not a movie sponsored by American money, as was Rumble in the Bronx, and thus has all of the typical quirks of Hong Kong Cinema.

Jackie Chan, his brother, and his father go into China to get hold of some ginseng. As they come to the border post they realise they must declare the goods so they smuggle it on board through a British ambassador. They then must get it back so they sneak into first class and take the package. Unfortunately there are two similar packages and they take the wrong one. They also confront another martial artist who wants the other package. Through this they uncover a plot by the British to overthrow the Chinese Emperor (or so it seems).

As with typical movies of this sort, there is little in the way of deep, in-depth thought. Jackie Chan is about stuns and martial arts, and you get plenty of that here. The interesting thing in this movie is the portrayal of the British. They have their guns while the Chinese have their martial arts. Even with their skill, they are under the yoke of the gun. But when the Chinese get the guns, they discard them in favour of the martial arts.

The specific martial art that Jackie Chan uses here is what is called Drunken Boxing. He is reasonable, but very beatable sober, but when he gets drunk he becomes invincible. Thus, when he finds that he is fighting a fight that he probably will not win, he seeks as much alcohol as possible and becomes blind drunk.

This is a reasonably good movie, and as typical for Jackie Chan, quite funny as well. When you watch it though, make sure that the version you have has reasonable subtitles, because it is really annoying watching a movie when you don't know what is going on because you cannot understand the dialogue.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is without a doubt the single greatest martial arts movie .
stefgrig16 July 2011
This is in many ways , a typical Jackie Chan movie . Entertaining , funny , full of action .

But the action is unbelievable . It is SO well done that in in my humble opinion it will be the yardstick to measure every other martial arts movie . There is only a handful of movies that can hold a candle to this ones choreography , action , dedication .

And full of action it is . The fighting scenes take the better part of the movie , and every second of it is brilliant . The end scene in the steel mill is the best of its kind . Inventive , intense , brilliant in every aspect .

It is the single greatest martial arts movie , and a deserving 10/10 .
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best fight scenes of all time makes this a absolute classic
mehulxtreme15 January 2011
Unmissable for any martial arts fan, this film contains what many regard as the best fight scene of all time, and I am inclined to agree, making this film unmissable for MA fans.

The other fight scenes in the movie are almost just as good, the film features Jackie getting drunk and fighting his enemies using Drunken Fist which makes for hugely entertaining bouts.

Unlike most of Jackie Chans movies, this doesn't have any stunts or any strictly comedy related antics, and instead is held up by the sheer quality of the fight scenes.

Obviously the plot is completely irrelevant, and in this film it doesn't matter as the fights come thick and fast, and leave no chance you leaving you underwhelmed.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Some good martial arts moves and a bit of the goof to be honest
alienworlds4 May 2010
Great action sequences-and Jackie Chan pushed his stunts perhaps beyond the point of where he should in this-all in the name of making a good flick. Dialogue choppy dubbed in English, probably better to watch in Chinese with sub-titles. There is a tendency to be overly goofy in this movie, which mars it a here and there but fundamentally it is an excellent martial arts movie. I think some western audiences will think JC a fool for is over acting, but I think that is a form of cinema that is supposed to look that way, like a Chinese version of slapstick complete with slapping, kicking and throws. It is sometimes ridiculous, but then again, so is life at times. I only gave it a six because I think it was in fact perhaps a bit too goofy, despite the deliberateness of it all.
Drunken Master II
Scarecrow-887 November 2009
The only real detriment to me as I watched the exhilarating Drunken Master II was the dubbed version I had to endure. Besides that and a rather mediocre story which, let's face it, is merely fodder to feed to the amazing martial arts sequences, Drunken Master II sure held my interest particularly Chan's climactic battle with Low Houi-kang(..as the corrupt Chinese business partner working with evil British Embassador attempting to steal a precious jade seal from the Great Wall, among other artifacts, raping the heritage of the people)in the Steel Mill. Also phenomenal is the tea house action sequence where Chan and Liu Chia-Liang(..as Master Fu Wen-Chi, attempting to retrieve the seal from those wishing to confiscate it)must defend themselves against the "ax army"(..this includes a terrific use of a splintered bamboo stick)where plenty of bodies are thrown through windows and tables, with stairs that are collapsed. The scene where Jackie Chan actually moves through hot coals is a hair-raiser..now this is dedication!

Jackie Chan returns to the role of Wong Fei-hung, the son of a renowned martial artist, Wong Kei-ying(Lung Ti), whose fighting skills improve the drunker he gets! And, let me tell you, his unusual fighting techniques are something to behold! Anita Mui lends comic support as Mrs. Wong, Fei-hung's mother, herself a bit of a troublemaker who often motivates her step-son into action. The mistake of substituting a banzai tree root for a ginseng root is just one of several ordeals the two get themselves into..and this causes the one who uses it for tea to get deathly ill! I must admit, though, that asking us to accept her as Chan's motherly figure is a bit much, but they have wonderful scenes together on screen.

Anyway, the film also shows how the steel mill is being used by those in authority to overstep their bounds, by forcing the steelworkers into overtime and lack of pay. Over the steel mill is the slimy British ambassador stirring up the problems plaguing the Chinese people. The ambassador also wants Kei-ying's Po Chin Lam school and grounds so he'll do whatever it takes to secure the property for his own financial purposes. All this is to develop those enemies we are to loathe and it doesn't take much to root for Fei-hung, drunken or otherwise. 1994 was pretty much Jackie Chan's coming out year, attracting the same western audiences as Bruce Lee had done.
All star cast Part II of a great movie
ebiros218 June 2009
This movie's credit reads like who's who of HK cinema with Eric Tsai and Karina Lau directing, and Anita Mui and Yvonne Hung also lending their talent. The movie has no connection to the original drunken master's plot and is a completely new story.

I liked drunken style of Jacky Chan better in the original than in this one. What I liked the most about the movie was Anita Mui and the coffee shop ladies who were her mah-jong friends. Anita Mui was so cute and charming in this movie, and in my opinion, she stole the show. And the coffee shop ladies she was with are gorgeous with Yvonne Hung being one of them. It'll be a shocker to see ladies like this walking down the street if it was in real life.

Maybe the reason why I don't like this movie as much as the original is Jacky is not the one playing the comedy here. It's Anita Mui who's doing all the comedy, and oh, she does one heck of a job. After seeing this movie, I realized her loss was great.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Some of the things Chan does in this film defy belief - the drunk sod!
Thomas Hardcastle27 August 2008
I'm a massive Jackie Chan fan. I have most of his films, and this has to be one of my absolute favourites.

The film is choc-full of memorable fights, and incredible stunts, some of which may cause you to yell out at the screen in mental anguish. The most incredible stunt has to be when Jackie is pushed onto white hot coals, and has to crawl backwards across the pit (apparently, he did this twice - ever the perfectionist).

The storyline is never the reason anyone would be gripped by a Chan film, but in this case, it's basic, yet more than acceptable.

The drunken boxing style is given a good go in this film, with Jackie demonstrating the style to magnificent effect. Watching this film, you certainly get a feel for Jackie's creativity and incredible ability to pull off some of the moves that simply no one else can perform. The sheer brilliance of some of his work in this film suggests that Chan never faltered from his quest for absolute perfection.

Overall, if you're a fan of Chan, then you'll probably adore this film. If you're a casual Chan fan (ie Rush Hour, Shanghai Noon) then this film will surely lighten up your knowledge of just how amazing this martial artist is.