IMDb > Trevor (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Trevor More at IMDbPro »

Wonderful movie about coming out angst

Author: Havan_IronOak from NYC/FL
13 July 2001

This short indie film left me wanting more. Trevor,(wonderfully played by Barsky) is a sensitive young man who is being raised by clueless parents. That Trevor is gay seems obvious to everyone but Mom and Dad - Trevor seems like a wonderful kid but the kid adores Diana Ross and Broadway show tunes...

Trevor is rejected by the object of his first crush. But Trevor is nothing if not resilient and it is his inner strength that makes this such a great movie.

The movie is wonderfully upbeat, the music is marvelous. This movie should be shown as part of a regular school curriculum. This movie will save lives.

A sensitive film about a young boy's sexuality

Author: Michael Barnett (mikeybear69@gmail.com) from Melbourne, Australia
10 April 2004

A film that deals with the very real issue of one's self worth in the eyes of people that matter in your life.

Trevor is a film many people will identify with. It takes a sensitive yet blunt approach to suicide. It deals with a young boy's thoughts about his sexuality at a very important stage of his life.

Whilst being a serious film it successfully manages to entertain the viewer at the same time. Trevor has a camp and very funny side. This helps makes the film all the more real. Anyone that has ever listened to a Diana Ross song and enjoyed it will relate. And if you have a theatrical bone in your body...

The Academy Award was totally deserved for this short film.

Bravo for Trevor!

Author: johnainsworth2 from Los Angeles, CA
1 June 2004

I thought the movie was great. Not to mention that it speaks to the subject matter of Gay and Lesbian Youth and teen suicide with a frankness lacking in the world-- especially given the year it was released.

Gay and Lesbian Youth don't usually have the resources available to deal with the emotional and psychological implications associated with coming to terms with one's sexuality. That said, it is a proven statistic that Gay and Lesbian teenagers are more that twice as likely to attempt, and in some cases, commit suicide.

This film deals with that subject in a sympathetic manner only because this is a matter to which any emotionally empathetic person should find disturbing! I only wish that it would be made more readily available to those teenagers that could benefit from it the most. Knowing you're not alone in the world, especially in this concern, could truly mean the difference between life and death.

Delightful

Author: Matthew Ignoffo (mermatt@webtv.net) from Eatontown, NJ, USA
12 August 1998

This short film combines humor and pathos very well. It is both funny and touching at the same time. The brief story involves us quickly in the life of someone who feels totally alone and who is willing to kill himself because he feels so disconnected from everyone else and from life in general. The ending is happy without being artificial. This film is a real delight.

Funny and touching

Author: Matthew Ignoffo (mermatt@webtv.net) from Eatontown, NJ, USA
17 August 1998

Despite the fact that this is a short film, it is very well done. It depicts a boy who realizes that he is gay, but it could be about anyone who feels alienated from the in-crowd and therefore feels that he is in danger. He eventually decides to kill himself. The film has a happy outcome which is not mechanically tacked on. This is a film that anyone who feels lonely or afraid should see. The point of the film is made in such a way as to be both funny and touching at the same time -- a rarity in movies.

Very funny and touching

Author: preppy-3 from United States
19 September 2000

A superb little movie about a young boy who realizes he's gay and how it affects his life. He tries to go str8 and fails...but it has a very happy ending. It's hard to believe that a film with a young boy contemplating suicide can be funny...but it was! I originally saw this in a compilation of gay shorts--every guy in that audience identified with Trevor and what he went through. It was great hearing the cheering at the end. Good acting all around, well-directed and the subject is handled extremely well. Also has a great Diana Ross soundtrack:) This deservadly won a 1994 Academy Award as Best Live Action Film.

The video version begins and ends with Ellen DeGeneres introducing the film. Her material is funny and (as always) well-delivered. Try seeing that version. This is a film everyone should see--gay or straight. An excellent little film.

Great acting, a different subject to be talking at the time.

Author: sergioguitar from Mexico
29 April 2016

Of course i am talking about coming out of the closet and being accepted by your peers and parents.

The short movie is entertaining to watch, it has a lot of nostalgic 70's music and i must say the boy is a pretty good actor, his voice gives it this odd feeling, it's almost uncomfortable.

I think the only low point the story has is that the focus is absolute on the main boy.

I must say the conclusion gives you a slight thought of well-being for Trevor followed by a foreshadow of what is going to happen with his life once it returns to normal

A moving portrait on acceptance and being different

Author: Miguel Rita from Portugal
3 January 2016

"Trevor" is a touching short film on a boy's self-realization of what sets him apart and how it turns him into a pariah in his environment. A fan of Diana Ross, her music is heard throughout the film as Trevor lip-syncs to the singer of "It's My Turn" setting the film's mood and becoming a crucial part of Trevor's journey. Narrated through the first person, we follow the story with Trevor as our host, discussing his dreams, his crush on another boy and how his being seen as gay quickly isolates Trevor from the others.

Although sad, "Trevor" is a hopeful film which gives us a message of overcoming prejudice and how choosing a fatal, last resort isn't the answer when you can still find enough good in the world to leave you alive and happy. "Trevor" doesn't just keep you with a sense of hope, it saves lives and because of it, one is grateful for the film's contribution to society at large.

Funny, moving and relevant

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
11 September 2015

"Trevor" is an 18-minute short film from 20 years ago that won an Academy Award (and took wins at Sundance, Berlin and San Francisco, of course) the very same year and category that Peter Capaldi took his win. It is a brief story about a boy who discovers his homosexuality. Now there are many (terrible) short movies about this issue, but this one here shows everybody how to do it right. It has heart, relatable characters and many fun and interesting references on the issue while at the same time delivering a credible and moving story. Of course you could say he was depressed, tried to commit suicide and then he is fairly normal, downright optimistic at the end all of a sudden? Not realistic? Well, I disagree, because you are that jumpy emotionally at that age. I thought this was a good movie and it's a bit sad to see that neither the director, nor the writer or lead actor managed a really successful, impressive career in the last 2 decades. This one here is probably still the most known and successful project for everybody involved. Good watch, I recommend it.

Not the best short-film, but good enough

Author: Carlos Alberto Ramírez Ortíz (flyingkandykid) from Mexico
19 September 2006

I disagree with the comment above. The movie treats, indeed, some serious problems. But I don't think that in no sense the movie wanted to make fun of it (I don't understand... Did you though it was a comedy?)The meaning of the movie is to not let the world smash you out, I try to go on with your life (Either your gay or not). If Mr. Y. thinks that something laughable, means he has issues.

By the other way, just see when it was made: 1994, when many of the gay people went out of the closet, and demanded to be treated the same way that a straight guy is, and try to clean the image of "depravation" that some gay icons made in the 80's, and let the people know that they are regular common persons, just like anybody else.

Is not the best short that I've seen of this thematic, but is good enough. For been a short-film, that not always have enough resources,(believe me, is not very easy to find support) must say that the montage works, good acting, and the story has dynamism. I just think that maybe the photography it could be better.