IMDb > Trapped in Paradise (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Frickin' Hysterical

Author: Jennifer
2 July 2003

This film is hilarious. I can't believe it has been rated so low. I could submit at least a dozen memorable quotes and I haven't seen this movie in two years. I distinctly remember having to rewind a scene because we were laughing so hard we missed some dialog... if you ever get the chance, go see this movie!! Nicolas Cage is a riot!

No no no It is GOOD

Author: Afalatovich from United States
26 April 2005

This movie is quite funny, you don't have to be a fan of Dana carvey or anything too. It was a good story and has funny plots throughout the movie as well. The guy who reviewed this before is wrong and is a typical this movie sucks that movie sucks critic. Jon Lovitz, Nicholas Cage, and Dana Carvey, are all hilarious in this flick and also just did a great job acting. These were the good Ole days and not the new days where its just stupid fart humor, and no class with the comedy, just sick and gross things. This had cache and goes down as a very funny movie. Go rent or buy it , its cheap and worth the cash spent. Toodles

A great good feel funny movie!!

Author: BruceHannan from Dundee United Kingdom
17 December 2005

Nicolas Cage plays the great straight guy while his 2 brothers played by Jon Lovitz and Dana Carvey supply the comedy value, in this hugely entertaining and funny movie. Things don't go to plan when the Firpo brothers try to rob the peaceful town of Paradise and get stuck there on Christmas Eve, only to find that they have robbed the nicest town on earth. I think Cage is great in this film, like in 'Peggy Sue Got Married', 'Family Man' and 'It Could Happen to You' he plays a lovable character that is full of emotion which you just can't imagine anyone else playing. There's also a great moment in the film where he looses his temper and he almost transforms into Castor Troy from Face/Off. If you're a fan of Nicolas Cage and not just the action stuff, you should see this movie and it's even better at Christmas time.

Where is the damn DVD?

Author: Randy from Arkansas
15 August 2001

This is one movie that really has me confused. Everywhere I find reference to this film, it is usually negative. I think this is one of the best movies (in its genre) ever made. This movie is hilarious. It is emotionally moving. It has the romantic angle. It is one of those "feel good" movies -- a great Christmas-time flick -- and I think belongs aside classic greats such as "A Christmas Story" and "It's A Wonderful Life". I am really bummed that this title isn't available on DVD when crappy films like "Surf Nazis Must Die", "Gremlins", and "Laserblast" flourish.

Funny yet heart-warming.

Author: Michael C. Jures (flannelman81@iwon.com) from Berwyn, Illinois
17 February 2000

I loved this movie. Cage, Lovitz, and Carvey are all hilarious. This movie is supposed to be a comedy, but at the end it turns out to be a very heart-warming story. I watch this movie when ever I get a chance. The 15 minutes with the bank heist are the funniest 15 minutes I have ever seen that deal with bank heist's.

Trapped in Humor

Author: IMSandman from Silicon Valley, California
28 June 2003

This was a surprisingly funny movie. Having Cage, Lovitz and Carvey in the same movie is hilarious. Carvey has to have the best role as a kleptomaniac. Watching the movie just to see Dana in this role is worth it all by itself. If you liked City Slickers, you would probably like Trapped in Paradise. 8 Stars.

Pretty good

Author: john427 from Charlottesville, VA.
25 January 2000

I just can't understand why this movie has such a low rating, its a good Christmas movie, and Dana Carvey is hilarious. Overall, it has a very good cast, with him, Jon Lovitz and Nick Cage. I enjoyed, good way to spend a snowy day.

A Great Movie about Small Town America at Christmas Time

Author: April G. (MellowStar176) from Tallahassee, FL
19 November 2004

I absolutely adore this movie. This movie was not made to dazzle people or make them stand back and go "wow that was an awesome scene." Trapped in Paradise is about the healing powers of a small town at Christmas. If you've ever live in a small town, or even visited one, you could relate to this movie. To me, this is more of a feel good comedy than anything. It might not hit a lot of top ten lists because its not flashy and it doesn't have a huge trailer, but its a good movie to sit down and laugh to and make you feel good about the human race once again. Nicholas Cage, John Lovitt, and Dana Carvey's characters are believable, even if they are not dynamic. I highly recommend this movie for anyone, from the young to the young at heart.

Underrated

Author: nutz4n64 from Schaumburg, IL
17 January 2000

I just watched Trapped in Paradise for the first time today, and I laughed hysterically. People seem to complain about things like "too unlikely" or "bad performance." Now this, unlike The Waterboy, is something that you just have to not think about to like. The Waterboy didn't even work that way. Nicholas Cage is great, and I've seen Dana Carvey and John Lovitz perform on SNL before. I must say, they make excellent cons and are very funny. However unlikely it was for the townspeople to save them at the end doesn't really matter. It just shows good nature. And I also tend to like some comedies a bit better if the somewhat unjust don't change at the end, just teach us something. IE, at the end Dana Carvey takes the guy's hat and puts it on his brother's head. It just makes it that much more funny to say it's good from beginning to end. Think about There's Something About Mary. At the end, Ted is the only one that really learns anything while Woogie just tries to get an autograph from Brett Favre. This movie is something worth checking out, if you can just leave all common sense behind. Don't just go for the critically acclaimed. They are right sometimes, but other times, I get the sense that they need to take the rod out of their &^^.

Caged

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
19 December 2000

What we have here is an experiment in no writing, no directing, just gathering some actors together and turning them loose. Many of these have been funny in skits, and each was encouraged to develop their own comic persona. But since these are not very clever comics, we have copies of Harpo, Jonathon Winters, Laurel and Hardy, Lucy and so on. There's nothing original or entertaining here except to watch how strong is the magnetism of the past masters.

Watching Cage flounder is also interesting since there are some who celebrate his talent. I'm coming more and more to appreciate how many different types of actors there are and how widely they differ. Cage as a person always sits nervously in his character. This is no problem if he is cast as a person who sits nervously in himself, and of course this is how he is typed. Sometimes it works, for instance with DePalma's experimental `Snake Eyes,' the disembodied EMT of `Bring out the Dead,' and the pretty sensitive `Raising Arizona.' But when it fails, it fails spectacularly with Cage staring goofily as in that lottery movie, or with shouting as here. Spectacular.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]