IMDb > Trading Mom (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Trading Mom

Trading Mom More at IMDbPro »

A change from the usual family movies.

Author: famousgir1 from London, England
16 November 2001

Trading Mom (The Mummy Market.) is a really cute family movie, which stars Sissy Spacek as a mum, wished away by her kids. One of the kids being Anna Chlumsky, who with her brothers go in search for a new mum at "The Mummy Market". After, they try out some new mums they realise they want their old and real mum back. And, of course they get her back. Sissy Spacek and Anna Chlumsky both give good performances here. I think this is a really light-weight, great movie, especially for young kids/teens. I really enjoyed this, especially when I was younger.

A Wonderful Family Movie

Author: livingdeadgirl_13 from vancouver
21 December 2002

Elizabeth, Jeremy and Harry are sick of their mother always nagging at them and telling them what to do. They would want nothing more then to make her disappear. Due to a spell, their wish comes true and the next morning when they wake up, no mother, no nothing! The kids are off to a mummy market, a market where you can choose between loads of different mothers. First they are happy to be without their mother but then they realize that they miss her and that no one could ever take her place. This is a very nice family movie that everyone would enjoy. I would give Trading Mom 8/10

see it twice

Author: gymnastk8
16 February 2002

i saw this movie for the first time about 4 years ago...i liked it, it seemed really nice- these kids wish their mother away, and they have to go to a "mommy market" to get another one. they cant find one they like, so they wish really hard for their mother to come back, and their wishing breaks their spell. nice huh? well thats basically the premise on the surface, but after watching the movie a few times, i started to think about it and really listen to some of the lines- theres definately more to this movie than meets the eye. i havent read the book it was based on, so i might be wrong, but my theory is that these three kids wish that all memory of their mother dissapear, and when this happens, every aspect of their mother (cooking, shopping, cleaning, playing games, etc) is portrayed as a mother. the kids pick the aspects that they like best, and they think they will be happy, but the truth is they need all the aspects of their mother. the woman who lives next door to them tries to explain this but rather cryptically- she cant exactly say it or they wont figure it out for themselves. she tells them that they have to really truly pick their mother. what they have been doing is picking a mother than they think is the coolest mom or the most fun. when they create a memory, they are picking a mother who really cares about them and who they really love. this brings her back. the only thing that is confusing is that when the spell is broken (when they wake up the next day and see their mother) there are still signs of the other mothers having been there (fluffy pillows, a circus prop, and a racoon trap). im probably way over-analyzing this movie, but i think its a really interesting film that u should see.

Trade in the re-runs for this pleasant family film

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
7 November 2007

Mrs. Martin (Sissy Spacek) is a single mother of three active children. One is almost-a-teen, Elizabeth (Anna Chlumsky), who finds mother's orders most awful, especially the one where she can not go shopping with friends. Elizabeth's two younger brothers are also upset that mother never has time to make pancakes but always makes time to insist on them cleaning the fish bowl and their bedrooms. Things go from bad to worse when Elizabeth is caught smoking at school and the younger boys get in a schoolyard tussle. Mom grounds them all for a month, at least. The next day, as the trio are allowed to visit a nice lady (Maureen Stapleton), who hired them to work in her garden over the summer, they learn of a magic spell which would allow them to choose a new mother from the "Mommy Market". Acting rashly, the three of them use the enchantment and mother does indeed vanish. But, at the market, there are no really attractive mothers, so they take a chance on a French lady (also Sissy Spacek) who has a cook. She ends up being a disaster as a mom. Yet, the kids only have two more chances to pick a new parent. Will they find the mother of their misguided dreams? This is pleasant little film but nothing extraordinary. Spacek shows off her abundant talent by taking on four different roles; one of them, the outdoorsy-mom, is a scream. The children, too, are very winning and Stapleton does a fine turn, too, as the gardening friend. All of the lesser roles are fulfilled well, also. As for the looks of the movie, it is quite attractive, with fun costumes, sets, and scenery. The script and the direction are fairly well-done, too. All in all, this is a nice flick for the family on any given night. Trade in those re-runs and get this one for a "something different" night in the near future.

Not the shot in the arm Sissy Spacek's career needed

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
22 September 2001

When I first heard about this movie--Sissy Spacek as a harried single mother whose kids wish her completely away, replacing her with a series of subs, all portrayed by Spacek in different guises--I thought it sounded great, and just the boost Sissy's career needed. But what a disappointment "Trading Mom" turns out to be. Poorly-paced and produced, it looks brackish and flat, and features the kind of movie-kids that make your teeth ache. As for Spacek, she's fine(as always)but is defeated by the colorless script. Some brief flashes of wit, nothing more.

*1/2 from ****

An Instant Classic

Author: Jamiec523 from Canada
9 June 2007

This movie was one of my favorites when I was a Kid. It is a very unique and thoughtful movie for the whole family to see. It really puts into perspective that it doesn't matter if someone can give you everything you could ever want, take you where you want to go all the time, or is so much more fun, no one in this world can replace your Mom. I love how this movie brings in morals to the kids who watch this movie. A lot will realise that your Mother is one of the dearest and irreplaceable people in your life. The only problem I had with the move was the ending. I did not like Harry's choice at all. I believe they should of had the last Mother choice to be more interesting and a longer outcome then Natasha. All in all I believe your whole family will enjoy this and will be a movie you will remember for years to come.

An okay family movie

Author: Christopher Smith
18 November 2001

Over the years, it has become harder and harder to find a good family movie in my local video store because they don't seem to carry very many. However, I did find this in the family section, I found it in the comedy section and since it has Sissy Spacek [of CARRIE] I thought I'd give it a try. The plot wears a little thin after the first hour or so and the movie is only funny in spots, but it is a movie that parents can watch with their kids without having to worry about objectionable content. Look for Andre The Giant in a cameo role.

Not As Disapointing as it looks

Author: Matlock-4 from MI
15 June 1999

It might seem a dull movie, and well kind of is. Anna Chulumsky is great however in the movie as well as the two actors that play her brother. Its not in every Blockbuster in town, but if you get a chance to rent a movie, look for this one (just make sure youre doing something while watching it, it won't seem as boring.)