IMDb > Thumbelina (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thumbelina

Thumbelina More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

This is adorable! Very underrated!

Author: BROOKE from Florida
13 April 1999

This is a triumph for Don Bluth! I really enjoyed it. The songs are sweet, & memorable. Jodie Benson (Ariel, The Little Mermaid) plays the title role, & she has such a great voice. I would recommend this movie to any family who is stuck in the Disney collection only rut. Give Thumbelina a chance!

I don't care that I'm all grown up! I love this movie!

Author: Liza-19 from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
26 April 2003

So help me, this is the cutest thing I've ever seen! I just love this film. First time I saw it, I went with my 7 year old brother, and was determined to hate it - but, well, I just couldn't. It's soooo cute, and the songs are so good, and the story is so well told - it's just impossible not to like it.

The first thing that I really like about this film is that it (unlike, oh so many Disney films) is actually very loyal to the original fairy tale by H.C. Andersen. They've added a few things, and changed a few details, but all of the things they changed I had to agree with (hey, why not let Thumbelina and the Prince meet at the beginning? It makes more sense for them to already be in love. And what's wrong with making the Fieldmouse a girl? It's Carol Channing!) This is very true to the original story - so much more than Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID (which was supposedly based off another H.C. Andersen tale - but you'd never guess it).

The animation is good, it's not the best, but it's fine. The real star of this film is the music. A beautiful score by Barry Manilow helped out by fabulous voice work. The wonderful Jodi Benson heads the cast (she was also the voice of Ariel in THE LITTLE MERMAID) and she is delightful as Thumbelina. I've been lucky enough to meet Ms. Benson and I have to say, she is just the sweetest person you could ever hope to know. She's got a wonderful, child-like speaking voice, and a glorious singing voice - just the perfect choice for the lead. She's joined in the cast by Gilbert Gottfried, Barbara Cook, Carol Channing, and (another voice talent from THE LITTLE MERMAID) Kenneth Mars.

This film is just beautifully done. It's faithful to the original, it's lovely to see, and has a marvelous soundtrack. I don't care that I'm all grown up - this is a movie I can't help but love.

Thumbelina is Thumbs Up

Author: joeb-13 from United States
21 February 2005

This is a movie that grows on me. When first getting a copy, made little mark, but after my 3 yr old daughter started requested this repeatedly several times a day, I've found the songs and animation to have grown on me. It has much of the enchantment and dreamy themes that Disney studios seem only to accomplish during those revitalized golden years of early 90's at Disney. But I trust my daughter's taste, and I have a new found love now in this 10 year old hidden treasure myself.

Jodi Benson has a beautiful voice and it may be this is on of the leading attributes that captures attention the same way her Mermaid performance as Ariel has done.

I believe the test of a good film, is one that captures year heart and you can call you're own, and this one has found a way to do that.

Brilliant!!!!!

Author: Heather from Scotland, UK
5 June 2005

I totally disagree which Pynchov. How dare he say the film was terrible. The way he describes it makes it sound like a horror movie. This film was absolutely brilliant. It was fun, enjoyable, enchanting and had some memorable characters. I have had the video for years and I would still watch it. The songs in the movie were inspiring and the scenes were picture-perfect. It was nothing like that totally rubbish 2003 Thumbelina and Tom Thumb film. People must see the 1994 version!!!!! I think the frog characters were excellent and some of the songs they came out with were really funny. The beetle ball was a great scene and looked really unusual. The scenes were beautiful. Full of luscious green fields and beautiful flowers, it was so inspiring! One of the best characters was Jacquimo! I loved his accent!! Thumbelina and Cornelius were the perfect fairy tale couple in a perfect fairy-tale film.

I love this movie!!

Author: Elizabeth_d13 from Okinawa, Japan
28 October 2004

Ever since I first saw this movie I have loved it. It grabbed hold of my imagination. It also follows very close to the original story which is more than I can say for several other books made to movies. It has also captivated the imagination of my children. They will sit through this movie and then talk about it all day. They even pretend to be the characters. This movie is one of the greatest children's movies ever made. It has comedy, beautiful music,a love story and it also teaches a valuable lesson....To always follow your heart and you will have your dreams realized. I recommend this movie to anyone who is in the mood for a feel good movie that leaves you with the feeling that you can do anything if you want it strong enough. I love the songs, I love the story, I love it all.

Charming, vastly underrated

Author: jammy58 from London England
19 June 2001

Charming rendition of the familiar tale... great songs, almost a show... and not too sticky.. the whole family loves it!

LOVE IT!

Author: MissyBaby from Scottsville, Kentucky
23 November 2002

I LOVE Thumbelina! My Mom taped it for me when I was little and I would watch it every day. Now my niece does the same thing. I guess it runs in the family! A great movie for the family to sit down and watch together or kids to watch on their own. If you haven't seen it, SEE IT! YOU'LL LOVE IT!

Wonderful Children's Fairytale

Author: zerogods
13 December 2004

Keep in mind the comments you read about this movie ARE opinions. Don't base the movie solely off of those opinions. Rent it, and watch it YOURSELF instead of listening to any crock or praise that may be posted about it here.

PERSONALLY....

I enjoy the movie very much. I watched it when I was a tiny little gremlin, and I still watch it now on occasion. I'm 15 and one of my silly little fetishes are Disney movies. They're WAY better than the new ones at any rate. (...and cleaner too, heh.) Thumbelina is a wonderful Fairytale with pretty songs and the beautiful voice of Jodi Benson. Fairies, jitterbugs, mice, beetles, fish, frogs, a mole, and a swallow... all the tiny things. (With some big animals at the beginning.) I think the main reason why i like the movie is the images, the color (especially at the end) is beautiful. The story is a wonderful children's fairytale. I don't know if kid's nowadays would enjoy it or not, because they have all the Pixar stuff, but my five year old sister does enjoy seeing it once in a while. I loved it when I was little (and still do).

Thumbelina. Absolutely wonderful!

Author: queenmolly from Canada
18 October 2005

I positively adore this movie. I love all of the songs, especially "Let me be your wings". The animation is fairly clear, and the story is just adorable. Thumbelina was drawn most beautifully. I thought the characters voices suited them perfectly, and I just loved the prince, Cornelious.

My friend and I both remember as a child, younger than we are now, we were on the edge of our seats during this film, and thought it was very dramatic at the time. Even now, I beg my mother to let me rent it, or ask if she could purchase it for me. But even more, I like the music and want the soundtrack. But alas, she will not buy it for me just yet as I annoy her already by watching it non-stop when we rent it. My favourite scene was when they danced and sung on the water and were riding his "Bumble", and I also like the part when he gives her his ring, and she gives him Forgetmenots. Oh, isn't it romantic?

Beautiful

Author: Tiffani Warren (sunnygirl_number_1@ga.prestige.net) from Cumming, Georgia
10 June 2002

My friend and I sat down to watch Thumbelina last night. It was her first time, and I was excited to show it off for her. She fell in love with it, and, since I hadn't seen it in a while, my adoration of it was re-ignited. I'll be honest: you're not going to enjoy this movie if you don't like animated features. While there ARE a couple cheesy phrases in this movie, if you watch it with good humor, you're sure to enjoy it. This movie wasn't made for adults, but it wasn't made for little children, either. I think that it's best viewed with an open mind and a friend. First, I'll start with the animation. The characters' movements and appearances are very reminiscent of other Don Bluth films, such as An American Tail and Anastasia, which is definitely a good thing. Not only are all of the major movements very flowing, but smaller things are perfect, like the twirl of Thumbelina's skirt and the characters' hair. In fact, if one looks hard enough, it's noticeable in every aspect: characters have little facial expressions, little movements, little changes in their eyes that fully represent real life. I'll admit that some of the non-human characters are a little annoying in appearance and don't fit in perfectly with Thumbelina, in particular hero, the dog; but on average, they blend in pretty well. One of the things I enjoy the most about the animation is that when a character holds on to something, it actually looks like they're touching it, unlike in most animated features (in particular, Spirit, but I'll not hold a grudge against it). Secondly, I'd like to point out the scenery. It's a bit simplistic in some parts, but it always alludes to something more, and it really makes you feel as if you were there. The storyline, while a little silly, is very entertaining, and I really tended to feel the ups and downs of Thumbelina. In some parts, it gets a little tedious, but in general, it's wonderful. The movie, in my opinion, was very romantic, and, in a couple scenes, very, very sad. There's also just enough humor to keep the story flowing without so much that it becomes the main focus of the plot. Finally, the sounds are exquisite. The characters' voices are all perfect, especially the mother frog. "Always Follow Your Heart," the main theme song, is horrible and extremely annoying, but all of the rest of the songs are great. "Soon," is very sad and simple, and it fits Thumbelina's mood perfectly. "Let Me Be Your Wings," is beautiful and is a perfect song to reprise. The first time that Thumbelina and Cornelius sing it, it's very romantic. *SPOILER* When she sings it to the mole after Cornelius, "dies," it's one of the most tragic and beautiful parts of the movie, and my favorite. Finally, at the end, when she sings it in the Veil of the Fairies, it's haunting, and when Cornelius cuts in and proves that he's not dead, it's uplifting. *END SPOILER* "On the Road" is a cute song with a Latin beat, and is fun to watch. The song that the beetles sing is a little annoying, but it's bearable. "Marry the Mole," is funny and well-placed. Now, my friend is 14, and I'll be turning that age this month, so I can't honestly recommend it for adults, unless they're young-at-heart and enjoy cartoons (which, I've noticed, often have a lot deeper themes than most real-life movies). If you're about my age, and you don't think that you're too cool to enjoy an animated film, give it a try. Oh, and if you're bilingual, like me, rent the DVD and watch it in French. They dub the songs, and everyone adds their own touch to it that makes it just as good as in English.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]