IMDb > The Swan Princess (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Swan Princess

The Swan Princess More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A good, watchable movie despite its flaws.

Author: Abigail Laughlin from Montreat, NC
25 April 1999

Compared to previous attempts by competing studios to break Disney's stranglehold on the animated film market, The Swan Princess really is a good movie. The animation does not quite have Disney's finesse and got a little rough in places, but was still watchable and generally pleasing to the eye, unlike, say, Thumbelina. The songs, though not particularly memorable and vaguely cheesy in the manner of much older animated flicks, did not bring the movie to a grinding halt and actually managed to, in general, help it along. It has a plot.

That's not to say that The Swan Princess doesn't have its problems, mostly in its characters. The titular lead, Princess Odette, is a flat failure as a heroine--she never *does* anything except lead her one true love, Prince Derrick, to her--and even then, she only does that because her animal friends, Puffin, Speed the turtle, and Jean-Bob the frog, cook up the plan for her.

Derrick is much more likeable, and though throughout most of the movie he is a flaming idiot, he is a likeable and sympathetic flaming idiot--and he does learn. His mistakes are, as a rule, human and understandable, and in the end it is he who saves the day and finally learns the movie's apparent lesson--that beauty is not all there is in matters of love or anything else.

The development of their relationship is refreshing--rather than falling in love at first sight, they start out hating each other with a passion, and it takes them years--spanned capably over the course of one amusing if sugary song--to realize that they do love each other. And then Derrick blows it(!), and spends the rest of the movie scrambling to recover from his mistake.

The end battle was satisfying, though in general I prefer for the heroine to help save their hides in some manner. The movie-makers were not afraid to beat the living daylights out of their hero, and though the save he pulls in the end is nothing short of miraculous, it was at least shown much earlier to be within his princely capabilities.

Despite its flaws, I found The Swan Princess to be a satisfying and re-watchable movie--though I did catch myself agreeing with Derrick's comment (stated early in the movie) that he could do much better.

loved it

Author: puteriain6 from New Zealand
19 December 2005

*sigh* I was like around 2 years old when it came out and apparently it was a favorite of mine along with the Disney classics and such. And even though I'm 13 now.. i still love it. A total classic love story where the two "lovers" are separated and the Prince has to find the Princess. I love the songs 'This Is My Idea' and 'Far Longer Than Forever'. This Is My Idea is probably my favorite because it shows Odette and Derek grow up together and it's quite funny when they come to the "This is not my idea.. This isn't my idea.. of fun" since it usually concludes humorous scenes. Any young child would love it.. especially girls. The animal-trio are hilarious especially Jean-Bob and Speed.

i still love this movie

Author: bwaybaby01 from United States
11 February 2007

This was my favorite sage of movies when I was 3. I still love them to this day when I am 15. This movie tells the timeless tale of two lovers who are drawn apart by one shallow prince who eventually learns that there is more to love than looks and beauty. When Derek goes on his quest to find Odette, he realizes how much he really does love her and his kingdom gets sick of hearing about here. The music is spectacular as well. I love the songs "Far Longer Than Forever" and "This Is My Idea". "This Is My Idea" shows Derek and Odette growing up and you notice that every year their relationship grows until one summer when they realize how much they really do love each other. When they are pulled apart by Rothbart and how shallow Derek is, they sing the duet "Far Longer Than Forever" about their everlasting love for each other. Anyone who does not like even the first movie has a real issue. Even though the saga got kind of lame as the years went by, they still hit me close to home.

Whimsical children's tale, good animation and storytelling

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
24 January 2006

It's been a little while since I had seen "The Swan Princess," but I could distinctly recall many scenes from it. I'd always enjoyed it before, so I decided to watch it again - for the most part, it still holds up.

Of course, it's a children's tale, so some slack must be given; it's not going to be as well-rounded (entertainment-wise) as a movie like "Toy Story," but it does contain its fair share of adult-oriented jokes along with silly physical humor that will amuse children.

The story is pretty basic - a lovely princess is destined to marry a prince, but an evil sorcerer (voiced by the diabolical Jack Palance) has other plans and kills the princess' father, locks the daughter away and casts a spell on her so that she turns into a swan at night.

It's predictable, but it's got a great vocal cast, and the animation is pretty good. Give it a shot. Avoid the unnecessary cash-in sequel.

So what, if its corny.

Author: walsh-22 from United Kingdom
23 May 2007

Boo, Boo! I say to all reviewers who think it is corny, so what. I love it anyway.

This is a type of film Disney is known for making, instead it is made by Columbia Tristar. The story is basically about a princess called Odette who is kidnapped by an evil sorcerer, Lord Rothbart who puts a spell on her that turns her into a swan and the only way the spell can be broken is if Prince Derek declares his love for Odette.

Jack Palance plays Rothbart as a pantomime villain.

I like the love story between Odette and Derek especially when they start of not liking one another.

It has some very funny scenes and lines. The two scenes that stand out for me is when the Prince is practicing his marksmanship with painted arrows and the targets are musicians dressed up as animals. Another is Jean-Bob, a frog voiced by John Cleese who is convinced he is a prince and that if he kisses Odette he will become one.

The songs are very memorable and catchy, I especially liked the songs "Practice, practice, practice," "No fear," and "This is my idea." The animation is just amazing, the movement is so realistic and the scene at the end is awesome as it is at night, you can see the shadows of the water, the moon sparkling and the swans flying by.

This film has it all- romance, humour, magic, action, brilliant animation and a moral story where good triumphs over evil.

Great movie

Author: manufan91 from United States
29 December 2005

I was very young when this movie came out, so I grew up watching it. I have ALWAYS loved this movie. I just barely watched it over again (because now I'm in high-school and I hadn't watched it in a long time), and I still love it! It's true that it does have it's flaws, but they're nothing huge. It's still better than most Disney movies that I've seen (but then again, that's just my personal opinion).

I agree with those who say that the sidekicks are the best; but Derek's sidekicks are just as amusing as Odette's. I love Brom and Queen Uberta; but Rodgers remains my favorite character of the movie. I love his sarcastic humor- "You should write a book; How to offend women in 5 syllables or less." Come on- that's hilarious! I also like that Chamberlain guy. He has my favorite line of the whole film; "Oh! the milkman- it must be the milkman!....... Well... it's not the milkman."

I think that the biggest flaw in the whole play was Princess Odette; she is supposed to be the heroine, and she never does anything! OK, she finds Derek and gets him to come to the lake, but she couldn't have even done that without Puffin, Speed and Jean-Bob. No offense, but when Derek said, "What else is there?" He was kind of on to something.

And contrary to what most people say, I loved all the music- even "No More Mr. Nice Guy." My favorite song is "This is My Idea," simply because it's funny, and I don't mind it getting stuck in my head (which it tends to do a lot).

I just think that there's something in the Swan Princess for every age (though keep in mind that I can only attest to 15). It's a movie that every girl would enjoy seeing at least once.

A nice '80s princess story... when was this made?

Author: SnoopyStyle
15 September 2013

This is very much an 80s style animation with the singing, the drawing, and the subject matter.

Prince Derek and Princess Odette are forced to spend their summers together by their widowed parents hoping for them to fall in love. Just when they seem to do just that, Derek says "You're beautiful.", and Odette ask "What else?". Derek could only reply "What else is there?".

Then the evil sorcerer Lord Rothbart kidnaps Odette then places her under a spell that turns her into a swan and back to a woman when she's on the lake as the moon rise. When moonlight leaves the lake, she's turn back into a swan. The only way to break the spell is to have her love make a vow of everlasting love.

All the characters are straight out of 80s Disney movies. And quite frankly, it works on that terms. The animation, the jokes, the princess subject, the songs... all of it works but only on that term.

Good Movie

Author: wetnoodle1016 from United States
11 March 2006

I happen to think that this was a very cute fantasy movie. It does not copy The Swan Lake and it is original. However, it has some good love scenes and I liked it in the sense that it was very fun to watch. I still remember the movie from when I've seen it years ago. It has pretty good animation and good songs to remember. The music is nice to listen to. The characters are displayed well and the voices are clear. This movie is adorable. I liked it very much and it was memorable. There are two sequels following it that I enjoyed as well. The third one was very funny. Anyways, The Swan Princess was satisfying. This is a great movie to show to kids and adults.

Errr.... I don't know where to start...

Author: Kayley Jaworski from United Kingdom
16 March 2014

This was the first film I ever saw in the cinema. And even as a 3 year old I knew this was terrible.

I'm just going to summarize this as much as possible. Who is Odettes mother? I mean it would have been nice to get a glimpse of her even if she died of childbirth.

Plus when I watch this now I just think the King may have banged one of the maids or something.

And what happens to Odette's dad? You see him half dead and Prince Derek, a selfish arse, doesn't bother helping him. Which brings me down to this why is Lord Rothbart not just going to King Williams Kingdom and taking it over? He killed the King got Odette under a spell what's stopping him? Ohhh the law. Like duh bad guys have to follow the rules don't they? He wants to marry Odette to make it legit. No bad guy would go through all that trouble not when he can cast spells and turn into a giant bat.

And how long exactly has Odette been under that spell? Selfish arse Derek keeps going on about, "I'll find Odette, she's like totally the one." Yet all I see you doing is playing with your bow. You see him do some pathetic research in the library which made me laugh. A mouse to a DRAGON! That must be what the king was talking about! The King certainly could've given more information for he must have known it was Rothbart unless in his old age his memory has gone.

But when Puffin came into it Odette said that Speed and Jean-bob were her "best friends" seriously how long have they been friends for to become "best friends"? However I do like Speed, Jean-bob and Puffin. I was worried they were going to be obnoxious and annoying side kicks but I actually liked them. They showed more emotion than Derek and Odette combined. And Lord Rogers was my favourite character. I don't know why there's a humorous charm about him.

And there is of course the classic scene that always makes me laugh.

Odette: Is beauty all that matters to you?

Queen Uberta: Derek, what else?

Derek: What else is there?

LOL! He's either an arse or just gullible. I like to call him a selfish arse (can you tell). And this "Love" does seem like petty teenage hormones the way Derek is like, "Duh your so hot! I'd bang you then run away." At least with Odette she is a little more mature about it, rather than diving in she hesitates which I admire until they both sing together. She starts singing about how much she loves him and that she knows he's looking for her blah blah blah... I'm sorry but if I asked my boyfriend that same question and he said, "What else is there?" He'd be in the dog house. I would be so angry with him... Which again must suggest that there is a time frame from the point she gets captured to the point Prince Derek decides he's lonely and wants the blondie. Which I guess could suggest absence makes the heart grow fonder but we don't see any of that. We're just left with, er Derek is a selfish arse. Oh er and then after he's played with his bow for a few weeks or months even he decides to go find Odette.

I could be wrong but I feel there is something missing in between. Like you don't instantly become best friends with someone in a few days plus the way Odette, Speed and Jean- bob talk to each other it kinda feels like that they have been there for each for a long time. I'm probably reading way too much into it but for my first ever cinema trip... Ugh talk about disappointing.

Sorry there is one other thing - a good point too. The animation is beautiful. I love the colours of the sky, the lake and there are some nice cinematic shots. It's really quite beautiful but the story line is inconclusive and broken in areas and the sub characters are way more interesting.

The Swan Princess

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
19 February 2014

This was one of those cartoons I had heard about so many times, and I knew at least one of the actors doing a voice in it, I knew it wasn't going to be Disney standard quality of animation or storytelling, but I was still willing to try it, from director Richard Rich (The Fox and the Hound, The Black Cauldron). Basically Princess Odette (Michelle Nicastro) and Prince Derek (Howard McGillin) were forced by their parents as children to many summers together in the hope they that they would grow become close and eventually fall in love, they hates each other, but as adults they may finally to develop mutual attraction, but after a little offence he causes she is not sure he truly loves her for more than just her beauty. Years ago vengeful sorcerer Lord Rothbart (Jack Palance) was banished from the kingdom for attempting to cast evil spells and take the kingdom for himself, but he has returned to take revenge, disguised as the "Great Creature" he can turn into he manages to kidnap Odette, and fatally wounds her father King William (Dakin Matthews), Derek vows to train himself to kill the beast that killed the king and save the life of his true love. While Derek's training goes on and believing that the princess is still alive for him to save and convince of his love, Odette has had a curse placed on her by the evil enchanter, at his castle lair on Swan Lake she will turn into a swan in the daylight, and if she does not to return to the water when the moonlight shines she will not temporarily turn human for the night time, Rothbart will only lift the curse if she agrees to marry him so he can legally take the kingdom, she continues to refuse. While cursed Odette makes friends with friendly tortoise Speed (Steven Wright), frog Jean- Bob (John Cleese) who believes he is also cursed and if kissed will become a human prince, and the puffin bird named Puffin (Steve Vinovich), they sympathise with her wanting to return to the kingdom as a human and be with her true love, Derek refuses to let her mother Queen Uberta (Sandy Duncan) make him marry someone unless he truly loves them. Prince Derek does eventually find Odette as the swan, but he wrongly assumes she is the Great Creature, but he does see her turn temporarily human at night, but she is trapped by Rothbart before she can make any escape and stop the proposed bride seeking and potential wedding ceremony for the prince, and with the evil sorcerer disguised as the princess he hopes to make the prince express his true love to the fake, therefore allowing him to take the kingdom. In the end Rothbart in the form of the Great Creature is defeated by Derek firing the one arrow through his heart, the swan curse of Odette is lifted, and the couple finally embrace their true love for each other, marry, unite the kingdom and the two families and they all live happily ever after. Also starring Liz Callaway as Princess Odette (singing voice), Mark Harelik as Lord Rogers, James Arrington as Chamberlain, Davis Gaines as Chamberlain (singing voice), Joel McKinnon Miller as Bromley and Brian Nissen as the Narrator. You can tell by the animation style that this film was a rather low budget, the story does have it's fair share of predictable and cheesy moments, and most of the songs are lame, but the voice casting is chosen well enough, Palance making a good villain, and Cleese and Wright adding the needed comic relief, I suppose it will entertain most of the family, not a bad animated musical fairytale. It was nominated the Golden Globe for Best Original Song for "Far Longer than Forever". Worth watching!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]