IMDb > Speed (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Speed

Speed More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 38: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Fast action...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
27 December 2015

When "Speed" first came out in 1994 it was an impressive movie and a very entertaining one at that, and even today it is still an entertaining movie. I think it is the type of movie that will actually never become outdated or obsolete.

Story-wise "Speed" is fairly simple, but it is the non-stop action and adrenaline that makes it fun, enjoyable and entertaining. A bomb is placed on a metro bus and will explode if the speed of the bus goes under 50 mph.

The cast was an all-out good cast with Dennis Hopper, Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock and Jeff Daniels. Dennis Hopper really was the one carrying the movie most of the way.

There is a lot of corny dialogue in the movie, but it is overshadowed by the non-stop action.

"Speed" is a character- and story-driven movie, so don't expect to be blown away, pardon the pun, but an impressive display of CGI or special effects.

If you enjoy a good action movie which requires absolutely no thinking, and if you against all odds still haven't seen "Speed", it can be warmly recommended.

Face to explosion

Author: yuukiftb from Japan
15 September 2015

One day, there is a big explosion in the elevator of very tall building located in Los Angeles. A lot of passengers are kept in it, and they are panicked. Then, fortunately, Jack and Hary belonging to the SWAT helped them. However, Jack receives a phone call from the criminal. He says that he leaves bomb on a bus, and if the bus cannot keep the speed of 50 miles, the bomb would explode. Jack gets on that bus,but a passenger who thought Jack comes to kill us, suddenly fires. It goes to the driver, and one of the passengers called Annie starts to drive instead of him. With many troubles, they come to know who the criminal is. I am shocked to see one scene. After watching it, I thought I was thinking just like the way of what the character think. As the title says, this movie has many scenes which tell us the SPEED. I like the contents of the story.

Aptly named

Author: Fluke_Skywalker from United States
18 July 2015

'Speed' has got an incredible hook, but you just know that at some point credibility will be stretched to the snapping point and logic abandoned. And it is. No matter, because the aptly named Speed zips along at a breakneck pace, never allowing you to dwell on any of that. Reeves and Bullock have great chemistry, and it's easy to see why the former remains a star and the latter became (and remains) one. But the real star here may be Dennis Hopper (R.I.P.), who steals the show as the scene munching villain.

I was really taken with how skillfully made this movie is. Like John McTiernan ('Predator', 'Die Hard'), Jan de Bont came out of the gate poised to be the next big thing, but after his next film, 'Twister', it was a swift fall from grace and a "Whatever happened to...". Still, not many directors with resumes twice the size of de Bont's can claim to have made a film this entertaining and enduring.

Thrilling with Good Action,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
29 June 2014

Speed is a good movie with a well developed storyline and a talented cast.The movie is a pure action film,it is also for the most part very thrilling,it's a great watch once off but I don't think it's too memorable.Its one of Sandra Bullocks first big roles,an actress who would go on to prove she is immensely talented,she really stole the show in this movie,but it's not that hard when most of your screen time is with Keanu Reeves.I also really liked Dennis Hopper,he is a terrifying villain,there were certain aspects about his personality that were very realistic which is what made him such a scary villain.Speed is a good movie to watch once off,it's short and sweet and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good action or thriller.

A hotshot bomb specialist goes for a ride when a city bus is egged with a speed sensitive bomb.

Best Performance: Sandra Bullock

A Decent Action Movie

Author: Geoffrey DeLeons from United States
29 May 2014

Forget the fact that 111 drivers and passengers were killed by the bus on the streets and highways of Los Angeles: They did manage to save 16 of the 17 passengers. Forget the fact that most of the time, they are obviously not driving 50 or above. Forget about the fact that the bus would not have made the jump. Forget the fact that we do not know if any people were on board the aircraft that the bus hit at the end. Maybe there were 200: I don't know, because the great kiss scene at the end admittedly grabbed my attention.

Forget about the fact that Dennis Hopper (as Howard Payne) would have checked the bag of money as soon as he had collected it from the trash barrel, and that the marking dye would have exploded there.., not later, on the subway. forget about the fact that no marking dye would have been put in the bag, because the police would have realized that it would have triggered Payne to destroy the bus.

Despite these maybe-forgivable unlikelihoods, this is a good action movie that kept my interest for the entire time, by use of various twists and turns in the plot, and by engendering concern and empathy for the characters. We honestly like the people on the bus, including Sandra Bullock (Annie), Keaneau Reeves (Jack) and Alan Ruck (Stephens). Jeff Daniels plays a very likable SWAT member, and Dennis Hopper plays the fully-functional madman so well, that alone is scary.

The difficulty of the direction, stunts, and production of this movie must have been one incredible challenge after another. The elevator scene at the beginning of the movie is very exciting and well-done, and sets the tone for the movie.

Inherent in Speed is the metaphor that society is "running on the red line" at all times, with an inability to slow itself down, and a fear that if it does, it will self-destruct. It will take a combination of us all pulling together at maximum effort, and a miracle, for us to finally get off the "hamster wheel" before the overlords realize what has happened.

In kind of a cheesy way, this movie is a testament to how much good, or bad, one person can do.

I hope the City of Los Angeles promptly compensated everyone for their damage and losses.

Exciting

Author: tosh-661-856104
1 October 2013

This film is very exciting and make us beat fast in every scene. Generally, this film is very famous but it also famous for G-shock.Keanu Reeves, the main character, has wear the G-shock and appear frequently, and made it be the fashion of that time. The story-line is that a bus have hijacked and Keanu Reeves is also involved the accident. He tries to protect the passenger,but when the bus have stopped the bomb will explode. So he tries to make the passengers off from the buss. Can he save the passengers? The every single scene are tensed and you will can not miss a second. If you have not watched, I strongly recommend.

Very exciting movie

Author: Mesa Envy from Japan
1 October 2013

This is the story of the boy in the slum, Jamal that got the chance that became a millionaire in overnight in the world's largest quiz show "quiz 💲 millionaires". Jamal cleared a difficult problem in sequence and came over to the final which anyone was able to never arrive at after all. However, he was going to leave the studio is arrested on the charge of a fraud by the police. In the torture, it is revealed why he who is uneducated was able to arrive to here. Indian social reality to grow rapidly is drawn realistically in this movie. It is not too serious and the stirring movie boys run through the severe life powerfully. When I watch this movie, I was made realized "There is important thing not to be able to buy for the money in the world." once again. It was the wonderful movie which remains in my heart.

The Need For Speed

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
30 September 2013

Keaneu Reeves plays Officer Jack Traven, who, along with his partner Harry(Jeff Daniels) stop a bomber's plan to destroy an elevator full of people to receive a ransom. Unfortunately, the bomber( played enthusiastically by Dennis Hopper) survived, and engages his back-up plan: To strap a bomb on a city bus, and tell Jack that if it goes below 50 miles an hour, it will blow up. So Jack must hop on the moving bus, and find a way to get the passengers off safely before the bus is blown up...

Exciting, extremely well-directed(Jan De Bont) and sharply written action film hits a Bullseye, thanks to a breathless pace, and a most appealing cast of characters, especially Sandra Bullock as Annie Porter, who became a star with her winning performance. Will resonate more with people who have had to ever take a city bus!

Need for (only 1) Speed

Author: thesar-2 from United States
28 September 2013

Hard to believe it's nearing 20 years since they released Speed. And it, pretty much, still holds up today.

This was just one of the long lines of very good to great movies that starred and was certainly not helped by: Keanu Reeves. At the time, he was the luckiest man in Hollywood, from Bram Stoker's Dracula to Speed to The Matrix. He got to be in the cream of the crop without having to show any depth or acting ability. Perhaps, that's what director Jan de Bont was looking for here: a soulless and cardboard cop and well, there you go.

Actually, the real star here was Sandra Bullock and this was her break-through role. She stole every scene, had the best lines and timing and looked stunning. Hell, even Dennis Hopper's juicy and fun Howard "anything but a" Payne was no match for Bullock. So, if you forget the forgettable Jeff Daniels and Joe Morton and, naturally, whiteout Reeves, the true stars were Bullock and Hopper.

They were so good, that even with the great amount of enormously enjoyable action, it's worth seeing just for them two.

Speed focuses on disgruntled Payne and when his terrorist plot of bombing an elevator – too bad he didn't pick the one from the terrible Devil movie – is thwarted by the cops (Reeves's Jack Traven and Daniels's Harry Temple,) Payne shifts to road wars. He rigs a bus that, once it hits 50 mph, it will explode if it slows below 50 mph. Luckily, for everyone on this LA bus, when the bus does hit 50 mph, it's navigated by shrewd, albeit rightfully scared, passenger Annie Porter and Traven, who happened to "catch the bus."

There are rules, of course – this is a 90s terrorist action flick, duh. No one can get off the bus, and Payne wants money for an undisclosed and anti-spoiler reason, or he'll blow the bus. Annie must pilot this bus through the already terrible LA traffic while the stiff, er, Jack figures out what to do.

Since the years, and now almost decades, since this came out, this movie's been dissected enough. Sure, there are huge plot holes, some even big enough to drive (or leap) said bus through – even at 50 mph, but if you sit back, leave your brain at the door, you can enjoy the ride. It's campy 90s action fare, and for those of us who loved it back then and still do, this is the movie for us.

I will say, I do have one huge problem with this. Okay, maybe not the original, but the sequel. STAY AWAY FROM (anything but) Speed 2: Cruise Control. That movie was a tragedy from beginning to end. And this kind of movie did NOT need a sequel. It was great as it was. Just have fun here and don't take the next bus.

Speed!

Author: annalisemullett from Australia
17 September 2013

This film was fantastic.

One, because it gave me all these emotions while I was watching it. I was happy, scared, Frustrated, confused and etc. It felt like I was a passenger on the bus too.

Two, because the actors were extremely good, they exaggerated and really suited the film. I also believe its Keanu Reeves best film he has ever acted in.

and three, because the start of the film, and how they introduced it made me wonder what will happen next.It made me focus a lot more than I usually do when watching a film also, this was because the introduction seemed intense.