IMDb > Speed (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Speed More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 38: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Maximum Overdrive

Author: hellraiser7 from United States
31 December 2012

We are dependent everyday on motorized transportation whether it's by car, plane, motorcycle, anything else to get us from point A to B in the least amount of time. However despite these things in working order like with all machines there is that looming possibility that something can go wrong and usually does.

This is one of my favorite action films of all time, it's just so thrilling and so much fun.

This film has a lot to offer at the quickest amount of time it runs on. The cinematography and effects are great because it's all practical and real. You really do feeling like you moving at high speed. The music score is exciting the theme song is one of my favorite themes of all time, and this score may have been a partial inspiration for the score in the video game franchise "Metal Gear Solid".

The characters are really good: Howard Payne by the late great Dennis Hopper is a good opponent, he's a villain you love to hate. His character is a smart greedy psychopath who is menacing, a short fuse when things don't go his way, and he's got some charisma so he's got some really good lines.

Protagonists are also good from the main one Jack Traven played well by Keanu Reeves, he's tough, knows how to keep his cool and be in control of an out of control situation, smart, and also has charisma he has some good lines as well as humorous moments like unintentionally giving a guy I call the Tuneman some grief.

Annie Porter played by one of my favorite actresses Sandra Bullock whom I think is hot and has the persona to boot. She feisty, funny, witty, has some fire in her, she can also handle herself under pressure, has driving skills which are obviously useful, she should of been a race car driver.

Even a few of the passengers and two people that help them Harry Temple (Jeff Danniels) and Capt. McMahon (Joe Morton from the TV show "Eureka") are also really good, contribute and have their moments and good lines. This is part of what makes the suspense of the film work is actually caring about the protagonists and hoping they'll get out alive.

The plot I really like it's simple but feels plausible, whose to say no bomber had this in the back of their minds. And the best thing about the film is in it's suspense and pacing. I love the way it's structured it's sort of like a video game you just can't afford to take a breath, where in this film you have three different situations which are the Elevator, Bus, and Train, much like how each level of a game is always a different challenge; and all require for everyone to constantly move if they stay still for even a mere moment then it's game over forever.

Also as the action is going along there are constant obstacles whether it's something in the way or even time itself, I like how the protagonists have to think throughly fast on how to get though this or survive that. It's true certain solutions are implausible like the one for the infamous 50 foot gap but it's a movie like with the TV show "Macgyver" it's fun to think some of those things could work. All this just kept me on the edge of my seat, just constantly worrying what else will happen, how worse can things get, and how are they going to survive this or that. Those are questions like the bus just constantly race though you mind the whole time which is another reason why the suspense works.

Well thats as far as I go, Speed has enough millage for action.

Rating: 4 stars

Buckle up for safety! SPEED hits the streets

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
22 April 2008

My Take: A terrific summer movie. Grab on to your seat and buckle up for one heck of a ride.

If you don't know how it feels to get "involved" in a movie's premise, then better rent SPEED and experience it yourself. Living under the shadow of DIE HARD, SPEED elevates the seemingly familiar premise into a virtuoso of action scenes and great pyrotechnics, plentiful enough for three action movies. Not contended with keeping our palms sweaty during a daring rescue in a trapped elevator, the movie turns into a mad dash across the traffic-ridden streets of L.A. during rush hour, and then later, a showdown atop a speeding subway train. If you are not thrilled, at least, by one of these action scenarios, then better go see a doctor just in case your pulse is still running.

Instead of ripping-off John McLane from the DIE HARD pictures, which is what a mediocre action knock-off would have done, we are treated with a great action hero. Keanu Reeves is Jack Traven, an LAPD bomb squad officer who, during the first hour, must try to save a couple of people trapped inside an elevator, while a mad (no, eccentric) maniac (played with real villainy by Dennis Hopper) awaits his demand of cash.

When that's all said and done, he must now drive a bus above 50 mph to avoid the bomb in the bus from blowing up. See, if the bus drops speed below 50, it blows up big time. It would have been easy if he was driving this bus at night, but this is rush hour, cars and traffic are everywhere. He gets a lot of help from a loyal passenger, played by Sandra Bullock, who truly shines in the role, given that she is given much more to do than your typical damsel. Director (and former cinematographer) Jan DeBont has a field day in his directorial debut, giving the film the touch of class that action classics, like the DIE HARD films, possess. If I may just note: DeBont was also the cinematographer of action greats like DIE HARD and TOTAL RECALL.

SPEED is one of those few action thrillers that won't disappoint, as well as those that don't make idiots out of the audience. Sure, some parts of SPEED are questionable to logic, but it moves fast enough (and I mean really fast!) to make you forget them. Another great deal about SPEED is that it doesn't get tired of itself. It knows it can do more, and it delivers. When it's done with one scenario, it proceeds to another, and gives as another new scenario there, and the clichés are thankfully unused due to the originality of its special effects. But most of all, it has a lot of fun with itself, as the audience has a lot of fun with it.

Forget the bloated, uninspired films that claim to be better, a great rental (or better yet, purchase) of SPEED on DVD is twice the treat. Action fans will have so much fun with it as much as non-action fans will love it. SPEED is a clever, thrill-a-minute juggernaut that, simply put, a lot of fun.

Rating: ***** out of 5.

Speed-Wonderful Bumpy Ride ****

Author: edwagreen from United States
8 March 2008

If Bette Davis were alive when this marvelous action film was made, she would have certainly said to fasten your seat belts as we're in for a bumpy ride.

What a wonderful bumpy ride it is. This is a fast paced, high action thriller.

We have the usual lunatic mad bomber, this time played marvelously by Dennis Hopper, disgruntled and off his rocker, who plants bombs in elevators, buses and finally creates havoc on a train.

Keanu Reeves is terrific as the cop who foils his plans at every turn along with Jeff Daniels. This is the latter's best film since he played the ill-fated son-in-law of Shirley MacLaine in the 1983 Oscar winner "Terms of Endearment."

Sandra Bullock turned in a fantastic performance as the woman on the bus who winds up having to drive it under such tense circumstances.

If all action films were like this. Intelligently written, well acted, and a great story line to boot!

What a beautiful rush!

Author: departed07 from United States
24 February 2008

Pop quiz movie viewers: How do you declare one of the most sophisticated action movies of the early nineties?

Jan De Bont's "Speed" is a thriller of all angles in which you have to keep guessing in the intense scenes on what is going to happen next. Sometimes you'll be right while in other moments you'll be forced to cover your mouths and gasps at the curtain surprises.

The film's beginning prologue introduces sadistic madman Howard Payne (Dennis Hopper, Blue Velvet) trying to accomplishment one of his life scheming goals: blow up a bomb in an elevator. On the outside, SWAT members Jack Travers (Keanu Reeves) and his partner Harry (Jeff Daniels) arrive and try to deter the elevator from falling before Payne realizes that somebody is trying to stop his plan.

Payne's plan fails before he comes up with another solution. Since he figures that Detective Travers is up for a challenge, Payne places another bomb on a bus where if it drops below 50 miles per hour, the vehicle will detonate on sight. It turns up to be a cat and mouse game for Travers as he gets on the bus and tries to figure out how to dismantle the bomb and figure out how Payne knows everything in advance.

What makes "Speed" such a fantastic movie besides the action scenes include it's top cast. No longer do we need action heroes like Stallone or Arnold to show their huge muscles where we have young talented actors like Keanu Reeves proving that he can flex his acting abilities besides being in Bill and Ted. Dennis Hopper is one mad S.O.B., in which his character has more smarts and surprises than any villain I had seen in 1994. Sandra Bullock plays Annie, one of the bus passengers, who would later be a successful actress in the big screens.

Truly, one of the best action pictures of the 1990's.

"PoP QuiZ, HoTSHoT!"

Author: JeSsTeR from ToastLand, PLuTo
7 May 1999

There's a movie on a shelf.. once the movie is taken, it's gone for 5 days... if you get there now, you can get the movie.. "What do you do? WHAT do you do?"

You go out and rent it!

Speed is a non-stop action thriller.. kept me on the edge of my seat the first time.. 2nd time.. 3rd time! It doesn't stop. This movie is one of my favorites. The plot is great! Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock were cast perfectly.. not to mention, Dennis Hopper as the evil bad guy. The beginning where Jack Traven(Keanu Reeves) and Harry Temple (Jeff Daniels)go to save the people in the elevator.. my heart races! The suspense in this movie grabs you and tells you 'Hey, man! Wake up! You are still alive!'

All I can do is recommend that you see this awesome movie. It'll be worth it!

A whole lotta fun!

Author: Kristine ( from Chicago, Illinois
2 March 2007

Yes, it's true, I have never seen Speed until today. I was only 9 when it was released and my parents never bought or rented it, so I was just thinking of the movie when I saw it on I love the 90's on VH1 and rented it along with the sequel. I have to say that normally a Keanu Reeves movie is only sometimes enjoyable to watch, but this was a very exciting action movie, in fact one of the best I've seen. I know that it was very over the top and a little silly, but it was just so much fun to watch.

Keanu plays Jack, a police officer who has just foiled another crime by EVIL mastermind Dennis Hopper. When Dennis gets very upset, he plants a bomb on a bus, the only way to prevent it from going off is to keep the bus going 50 miles an hour or above. Jack jumps onto the bus and tries to explain, but a criminal thinks he is after him so he pulls out his gun and accidentally shoots the bus driver leaving the driving to a passenger, Annie. They must go on a driving spree to make sure that everyone can stay alive with trying to figure out a way off the bus.

Speed is a very great action movie that everyone needs to see, it's just one of those movies that really gets you excited and never lets you go. Keanu and Sandra did a terrific job and had great chemistry, despite their cheesy over the top kiss, it was definitely needed to complete the cliché action genre. I think you'll love this movie if you just like films in general. So grab the popcorn and enjoy the ride, it's a good one!

An unintended comedy

Author: allan-45
8 March 2003

I could hardly stop laughing pretty well throughout this film. It's hilarious. If it had been intended as a comedy, I probably would have given it about 6 or 7 out of 10. Since it is listed as an action thriller, it gets a 3.

Author: ross robinson from england
3 November 2003

Speed is a fantastic well acted action movie. This was made in 1994, set on a Bus in a city. This was a great action movie to follow. Keanu Reeves is a fantastic actor and i think he is great at doing movies like this, The Matrix and many more. I give Speed 10 out of 10 because it is a great movie and there are great actors in it.

Great Thriller With A Disaster Movie Feel

Author: StuOz
11 October 2016

A bus loaded with passengers has a bomb on it.

A mixed group of people trapped together in a deadly situation. There is a guy with a hidden gun, the nerd, the cute woman, etc. Does this sound like a disaster movie? Yes, but people always label this flick as an "action thriller". Well, who cares, call it what you will.

But just to back up my point even more, that scene where Reeves talks down the alarmed passenger with the gun, and then some other passenger jumps in to save things...well that sort of moment was done in several 1970s disaster flicks (for example 1970's Airport).

Keanu Reeves, Dennis Hopper, the suspense of it all...Speed is knockout movie that you will want to see again and again!

Thrilling with Good Action,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
29 June 2014

Speed is a good movie with a well developed storyline and a talented cast.The movie is a pure action film,it is also for the most part very thrilling,it's a great watch once off but I don't think it's too memorable.Its one of Sandra Bullocks first big roles,an actress who would go on to prove she is immensely talented,she really stole the show in this movie,but it's not that hard when most of your screen time is with Keanu Reeves.I also really liked Dennis Hopper,he is a terrifying villain,there were certain aspects about his personality that were very realistic which is what made him such a scary villain.Speed is a good movie to watch once off,it's short and sweet and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good action or thriller.

A hotshot bomb specialist goes for a ride when a city bus is egged with a speed sensitive bomb.

Best Performance: Sandra Bullock